Chapter 10 : Wounds Mended
315 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At Dawn Feng finished packing up and placed Xin Qiqiang on the sack then made Shadow drag him down the mountain, at the same time Li CangLai was facing the consequences of his actions by general Lian.

Without stopping to look at the spoils he earned, Feng tied the horses to the three warhorses and struggled to raise the heavy Xin Qiqiang on top of one of the horses and firmly tie him to the horse.

He noticed that Xin Qiqiang was sneakily looking at the horizon west with an expectant gaze, Feng thought about it and found it strange that one of the 9 leaders of the mist bandits only led 30 something of men to raid the area.

Once the idea of more bandits nearby or possibly arriving soon struck, Feng didn't waste a second and jumped on top of Shadow's back then hurried to leave.

Being in the lead with three warhorses and many other horses following behind him made Shadow neigh endlessly and run faster, Feng noticed the look of despair on Xin Qiqiang's face as he hurried to leave lonely mountain.

'Mother fucker was still keeping me in the dark, if that second wave of reinforcement really did arrive as I search through the supplies of the first wave, then it would've been no different than getting caught with my pants down. Especially since it's daylight and my element of surprise would be gone, even if my protective items helped me survive or escape, Storm and her pups will face the consequences with Shadow on my behalf' Feng gritted his teeth and decided to let general Lian deal with the man as he sees fit.

'To think I wanted to recruit you after you received your punishment, I'm still tender and naive' Feng sighed as he thought about how laughable he was as he removed the soft helmet for the first time and let the fresh morning air hit his face.

'This! This is the one who killed all my men? He's at most 20! Since when was there such a person in this western territory?' Xin Qiqiang on the other hand was scared into shock when he saw Feng's face for the first time, the apparently young face made him squeeze his head trying to find any news about this young man in front of him.

In the end he came up empty because nobody from any nearby noble family or in the western military resembling Feng's, the mist bandits had their own information gathering network.

Otherwise they wouldn't have grown up to be such a thorn in the side of 3 of the kingdoms, Yan, Hai, Shi.

Shaking his head, Xin Qiqiang rested his head and endured the pain of being carried on top of a galloping horse while internally wounded.

"Slow down you idiot, there's others carrying so much on their back."

Feng took his bad mood on speeding Shadow and slapped his neck.

The stubborn horse slowed down but he kept taking short bursts every now and then, afterwards Shadow will look behind him on the warhorses and challenge them with a triumphant sound.

An hour before sunset, Feng passed sword village and headed west for Rock city.

He really wanted to stop and give Da Donghai the materials and an advance deposit to forge the sword, but he felt the matter of the mist bandits should take the priority.

Two hours later he reached the eastern gates of Rock city, since it was dark already, the city gates were closed and none was allowed in or out.

"Halt, keep your distance from the walls or you'll be shot."

When Feng was 300m from the walls he heard a warning coming from the walls.

"I have something to hand to general Lian Laoci personally, send a message that Zhu Feng from the demonic beast's whipping incident is seeking an audience with the general."

Feng stopped at once and shouted at the walls, if he waited until morning and got caught up by the bandits then he's a fool.

The was only a possibility, but Feng didn't want to test his luck or take any chances.

On top of the walls was the same squadron captain guarding the western gates from a few days ago and his soldiers, they get relocated from night shifts to gate guards in the morning periodically.

Of course after one day the news of the reformation of the military ranks in the western army plus Li CangLai's demotion to a squad captain reached everyone, the name Zhu Feng and his accomplishments were being discussed until he arrived.

Once the 3 companies of soldiers on top of the gates heard the name Zhu Feng their eyes squinted hard as they tried to see the figure in the dark, they all turned to the sentinel to confirm if that man was really the same Zhu Feng who tamed one of the wolves that attacked him while being unarmed.

The sentinel was trained in scouting and gifted a drop of blood essence from the white winged Bat, his night vision was similar to a beast and his sensitivity to motion was scary.

"He only has a captive with him, one bald tall man and there's a mature wolf standing next to him and 4 little pups among his bag. The rest is horses without a rider or carrying some sort of provisions."

The sentinel took a very thorough look at Zhu Feng and his things then reported to the captains, when they heard the white eyed sentinel all the captains were happy to get the chance of meeting this heroic person.

Unlike the soldiers, these captains knew that Zhu Feng received the general's favor and recognition.

He even gave him his eldest son's sword.

"Quick, send word for the general."

"Get ready to open the gates."

"If it wasn't for us not being able to open it without the general's permission I would've took the chance to get to know this hero Feng, sigh."

"That doesn't mean we can't make him come closer, that way we can speak with him until the general's orders arrive."

"Good idea."

The captains sent a soldier to notify the general then made the soldiers prepare themselves to open the gates and raise the metal shield covering the gates once the orders arrive.

Then they decided to allow Feng to come nearby for them to see him clearly

"Sir Zhu Feng can enter, we only require the general's permission to open the gate and the messenger has been sent. Please, come nearby and take shelter from the western wind in the cover of the walls."

One of Li CangLai's competitors on the next promotion to battalion leader offered Feng to come nearby, he was happy to have less competition with Li CangLai out of the race of course the cause of such instance is always welcome by him.

'Sir? Hehe, am I being mistaken for another person! Whatever, since it's a chance to get in' Feng raised an eyebrow at the respectful way he's being treated with and shrugged.

"Thanks."

Feng wasn't feeling much cold on his body because of his insane protective equipment, but the strong cold wind hitting his face was unpleasant.

Xin Qiqiang was having the worst time of his life because his garments were only a thin layer of rough hemp clothes, not to mention the long journey of endless pumps, right now he felt his chest almost caving in.

When Feng arrived near the light with Storm on his left and the 4 bored pups sticking their heads out of the sack, all the men on top of the walls were sure that Feng was the same person of the latest rumours.

The captains were even more sure when they saw the ivory sheath on his side, the general wore the same sword when he met them the first time he took command of the western army.

They noticed the horses and the lone captive and were even more curious of the identity of the tall bald man, but they remained tactful and refrained from asking.

After 10 minutes where the captains made sure to ask if Feng needed any food or water for his horses or wolf with a friendly tune, 10 men from the special unit under general Lian arrived with military advisor Jian Jianjun at the helm and headed for the eastern gate.

"Under general Lian's orders, open the gates."

The same lucky guard who whipped Li CangLai in the morning shouted at the company captains on top of the wall.

"Pull up the shield, second company send a squadron to remove the barricade down there....."

Orders kept falling left and right, and in 5 minutes the gates started to open.

Right in front of Feng was the same captain guarding the western gates a few days ago, and amongst his men was the same soldier who mistreated Feng as he tried to enter Rock city.

"Young master Feng, please enter we need to make sure the gates are properly closed after you enter. Advisor Jian will lead you to meet the general."

When the lucky guard found Feng daydreaming and staring at one foot soldier he reminded him to hurry and enter.

"En."

Nodding once Feng urged Shadow to enter.

"If there's anything you want to say young master Feng, say it. No harm will come to you."

The perceptive Jian Jianjun noticed that Feng kept staring at the soldier ever since he saw him, that soldier was happy to be recognized by this heroic young man and his captain was unlike the ignorant happy soldier.

He was feeling worried instead.

"Nothing, it's just a small matter. This soldier mistreated the people entering the city a few days ago and I was included, oh, how much is the entrance fees?"

When Feng spoke the squadron captain and his two deputies paled, especially when he asked for the entrance fees.

"Hoooh, the entrance fees is 1 bronze coin for merchants and 60 iron coins for farm workers, if it's a busy day then it's raised slightly to 80 iron coins for farm workers and 1 bronze 50 iron coins for merchants and other visitors. Yi Yaozu, take this soldier back and investigate the matter of entrance fees. What's your name squadron captain?"

Jian Jianjun smiled with a darkening face then answered Feng, when he saw the sarcastic smile on Feng's face widen he knew something was wrong.

'What is the matter with this young master Feng? Everywhere he goes our soldiers and captains are shaming the general and west army's reputation' Jian Jianjun thought as he waited for the captain to report his name.

"Lin Lei, captain of the 13th squadron."

The man knew he wasn't going to escape punishment for embezzlement and he reported his name, but he planned to make all who joined on this theft of the city's funds fall too.

"After closing the gates, please join the men for a round of investigations after handing your duty to the next shift, the duty register where is it right now?"

Jian Jianjun knew the captain wouldn't dare try anything funny in the presence of 10 silver guards of the generals special unit.

"With second company captain Chi, he's on top of the walls currently in duty."

Squadron captain Lin Lei pointed up and answered the military advisor.

"Yaozu, bring the register and that second company captain as well, let's go young master Feng."

Jian Jianjun kept looking at the tied up bald man on top of the horse and the many horses without a rider as he spoke, but he didn't ask Feng anything and kept waiting until they meet the general.

"Please lead the way senior."

Feng watched the exchange between the man in brown clothes and the bronze armored captain in silence then followed inside the tunnel, Storm kept moving next to Shadow and her wary eyes watched the soldiers closely.

"Just call me advisor Jian like the others will be fine, young master Feng, the last time I saw you was a couple days ago and you was heading for Obsidian city alone with your horse and wolf. This time you have this many horses and provisions, if I didn't know better I would say you raided a merchant convoy. Hahaha."

Trying to lighten up the mood, advisor Jian introduced himself and kept speaking as he watched the small curious pups staring everywhere from the sack on Feng's horse.

"Advisor Jian is joking with this junior, I was on the receiving end of some wrongdoers with evil intentions. It's only thanks to luck that I survived to see the next light."

"Snort...."

Once Feng spoke, Xin Qiqiang couldn't help but snort as he remembered the horrors he and his men witnessed under this young man's hands.

Advisor Jian noticed and planned to interrogate this man for what happened exactly.

"Well it's all good now isn't it? Come young master Feng, the general awaits in his manor. You there, take young master Feng's horses and tend to their needs."

Once they entered the central area of Rock city, Feng noticed houses and taller buildings with better style.

After advisor Jian headed for a place surrounded by high walls and well guarded, the soldiers and their captain saluted respectfully and their eyes glowed in interest when they saw the wolf walking next to Feng's horse.

"This horse will be coming with me, feed it later."

They wished if the wolf would be left with them but she followed next to Shadow inside the manor, Feng took Xin Qiqiang with him inside still tied up to his horse.

After walking between two gardens on a road paved with blue stones, Feng saw general Lian sitting with his men under a pavilion in an artificial lake.

When he saw them they saw him as well and the general flashed a smile at Feng.

"Young man Zhu Feng, what made you seek my audience instead of going to Obsidian city as you told me? And who is this man you're tying up to a horse?"

Lian Laoci pointed at his vice-general to make another pot of tea as he stood up to welcome his guest, he entrusted the man with his son's sword after all.

"Bandits, mist bandits to be exact. When I camped at lonely mountain this bone crusher Xin Qiqiang and his men attacked me in the night, fortunately I managed to capture him. Since he's willing to give away the hideout of his gang, I had to hand him to the only person I can entrust with this matter."

Feng got down from Shadow's back and gave the hungry little pups to their mother to feed as he told the general who's coming through the long bridge, Jian Jianjun was shocked because just before he left the general to welcome Feng they were discussing the matter of the security of the territory.

Especially the Mist gang!

"He's the latest person to be promoted to leader in the gang, 9th gang leader bone crusher took the position after killing the former leader Strong Ox. But he was supposed to be raiding merchants and villages in the Hai kingdom."

Jian Jianjun told the general about this bald person's identity and rank in the gang, even Xin Qiqiang was stunned by how much this brown clothes advisor Jian knew about him.

"So it seems, little Zhang take him to the cells. Come young Feng join me for a cup of tea, last time you was in a hurry to leave and we didn't get to talk much."

The general gave the bald gang leader one look then asked Feng to join him for a drink while watching Storm feed her pups in interest.

"General Lian is too polite, actually if it wasn't for your generous gift I wouldn't have managed to pass that dangerous situation in one piece."

Feng cupped his fist then raised the ivory scabbard on his side to thank the general again.

"Small matter, come. You need to tell me what happened with these villains, many reports with their names are all over my study."

The general was watching Storm follow after Feng with her pups behind her in amusement as he asked Feng to take the seat of honor.

"Here's what I heard about the location of their headquarters from that Qiqiang guy, the location is west of bull horn cliffs the bandit gang take the mountainous area as their base, the numbers estimation from that Qiqiang is 1600 but he says the gang first leader Mist Hand said they're 3,000. The problem would be the spies in every city and village, once a large force gathers nearby then the bandits will scatter like mist before you tighten the noose around them."

Feng sat down and Storm sat on the ground next to him on the right, he told general Lian what he learned from Qiqiang while avoiding the question of what happened yesterday.

Jianjun nodded once at Feng's words while ignoring Night's challenge, the black pup was doing it's best on leaving a few tiny holes on his clothes.

"Humph, now that I'm here they can forget about having their way in the west or northwest of my Shi kingdom. Oh hello."

General Lian found Joy climbing his robes and giving him her belly cutely.

Thankfully the greedy Thunder took the chance to feed from his mother while Night and Joy are distracted.

"Well, since I'm done with my mission, I think it's better to get going to auntie's Qing store."

"No, just wait and hear about what we did to those who bullied you, Li CangLai was offered the same punishment he gave you instead of losing his rank......"

Jian Jianjun noticed his friend's smile widening as he played with little Joy and stopped Feng from leaving as he started to tell him about what happened yesterday, little by little the military advisor started to offer his sleeves to the black pup until it got tired and slept on his lap.

Harmony stuck himself to Feng's leg and curiously watched everyone nearby, only Thunder kept touring the area and whenever one of the guards tried to pat him or carry he would open his mouth and wail or bark loudly.

Storm was tired from all the running and slept on an empty stomach.

Shadow was currently eating from a fruit basket and drinking water, to the side was a pile of grass for him to eat when he wants.

"Well I'm happy to see the army getting into a better shape, general Lian, advisor Jian, it was good to see you again in good health. As I said before, I still have things to do. The matter of the mist bandits is in your hands now."

After hearing from advisor Jian about how Yi Yaozu whipped Li CangLai until he wailed like a beaten dog, he felt some of his dislike to general Lian disappear.

"Don't you want to return to the service?"

Suddenly general Lian asked as held Joy on his hand and scratched her back gently, he was instantly in love with this little pup.

"Why would I return? Clearly I'm not fit for this life."

Feng raised an eyebrow and returned the general's words with a teasing smile.

"On our first encounter, you was. Afterwards the air about you changed, especially this time I can feel the killing intent seeping out from you as I sit 8m away. You just recently killed at least a squad of people of that I'm sure."

General Lian Laoci wasn't bothered at Feng's sarcastic remark and continued to speak.

"Very perceptive, that being said I still don't see myself as a soldier. I won't be of much help to you general, or the military. At best i'll be just one more live lost."

Feng shrugged and told him why he finds it pointless.

"Maybe, winter is almost here. During that time you will find it extremely difficult to travel in the area, we will be in touch in the future."

The general gave the mischievous female pup a kiss on the head then let her go to her mother and told Feng.

Feng didn't give it too much though at the time and didn't know that general Lian Laoci had a plan installed for him.

"Well thanks for your hospitality general."

Feng left under the gaze of general Lian's special unit, these men kept their silence all the time and were studying Feng's every expression and word.

"So, what do you think?"

General Lian turned to his people and asked them.

"Unlike the first two times we saw him, this time I feel some danger when I sat next to him. His killing intent was left unchecked, it's either intentionally done or he didn't learn to hide it yet. But only those who killed for the first time would be finding it difficult to hide their killing intent, and his killing intent was of someone who killed at least two squads worth of people. To do that on the first time without experiencing some kind of mental demons, require some insane mental fortitude."

Vice-general Shang Haohai was the nearest person to Feng, he spoke as he smoothened the hairs standing on end at the back of his hand.

"He didn't seem to be troubled in anyway as he spoke with advisor Jian, his eyes were clear and his face cloudless."

Another guard said as he remembered how he kept forgetting that Feng was an ally, because of the seeping killing intent from Feng his hands would reflexively place on his weapon.

"It was his first kill."

General Lian Laoci sipped from his tea and said to his men, he witnessed many people after killing for the first time in his long years in the military.

Very much the rarest kind were those like Feng, their nerves would resemble icy steel and their emotions will be cast aside as they took more lives.

The only difference with Feng was his brightness that didn't dim out, as if he was in peace with himself for what he did.

That only happens when the person takes a life for a cause he sees as the right and just, it only depends on how much that image will stay that way in his head.

If it was an illusion then when he wakes up he's bound to fall in his mental demons trap.

"Let's just hope it isn't one of those shooting stars, once they hit a wall then it's the end of their glory. And these examples don't live long, Jian go see that bandit with Zhang. Extract everything then think of a way to deal with that gang. Also figure out what happened with Feng."

General Lian Laoci got up and headed for his study to send a message to the king of Shi kingdom, it was something he wanted to do in a long time but he didn't find the time to do when he was on the eastern borders.

"Yes general."

The special unit scattered and many of them were speaking of how much the pups were giving the young man a cool air.

After Feng took his fed and rested horses and left the general's manor he asked how to reach auntie's Qing store and hurried there, the sight of the loose wolf scared some of the city residents but others figured out the identity of Feng.

"It's him, Zhu Feng."

"Who's that?"

"What? The man who caused senior captain Li's demotion?"

"Exactly, see that wolf! It's the one he tamed after getting attacked by a wolfpack, he was completely unarmed."

"Bullshit!"

"Believe it or not, it happened."

Zhu Feng was feeling antsy as he heard the people speak about him like some kind of a celebrity, hurrying his Shadow to return to it's original home he avoided the people as much as possible.

"Ah, little Feng!"

Once Feng arrived at the store front gate he was met with Qing Qiuyue as she was leaving.

"Auntie Qing, how are you? I was about to look for you."

Feng got down from Shadow's back and cupped his fist at the kind middle-aged woman.

"Is that the famous wolf you tamed? It looks too scary! Won't it attack you or people nearby? If it did then you'll be in deep trouble."

The middle-aged woman kept her distance from the female wolf and said to Feng.

"Hahaha no worried auntie, Storm is very disciplined and obedient. She'll only attack those who provoke her first, can we talk somewhere else."

Feng patted the wolf's head and hugged it's neck underneath his arm to show her his love as he told Qing Qiuyue, then he gestured with his hand to the riderless horses and asked for a private place to speak.

"Come in."

Qing Qiuyue didn't hesitate to work overtime for the young man who helped her spot the rats hiding in her store.

After going to the area behind the store there was horse stables and an empty space.

"Auntie Qing, last time you helped me get a horse and little Shadow has been a very big help."

Patting Shadow's neck he thanked the woman.

"It's just a young warhorse, I see that you've got yourself three mature warhorses and some more. I see that Liling helped."

Qing Qiuyue misunderstood Feng's wealth as being given to him by Lili, she winked at Feng as she spoke about her niece.

"Huh! Ah, yes, of course, she helped me greatly. The thing I wanted your help with auntie Qing, is to give me a place to stay for the night and by morning tomorrow i'll leave since I still have something to do. All these horses are useless to me and most of the things on their back will be sold, if you see this as a profitable business opportunity then just give me the price. I accept any price auntie Qing will offer, that's the least I can do since auntie Qing and Liling were very helpful."

Feng felt something wrong in the situation but he wanted to find a quiet place to give a thorough search in the items he gained from the bandits, as for the price auntie Qing will give he didn't mind it if he suffered a minor loss in the transaction.

Liling helped in the creation of the ZhuQing Material and if Feng truly calculated the true cost of her help then it will surely exceed the one gold coin Da Donghai required to forge his sword.

"Hehe, how considerate of you if only that one was the same. Anyway, this place used to be the guards resting area, ever since we bought them a house and it is being used as a storage room. Unload your things and rest here for the night these two will help you with settling the horses in the stables, tomorrow morning i'll give you the price for the horses and the things you don't need. Good night little Feng, sorry to tell you that Lili left yesterday."

Qing Qiuyue smiled and led Feng to a small room in a secluded corner and gestured for two people working in the stables to help Feng, then she left after teasing the young man one last time.

Shaking his head at auntie Qing's playful attitude, Feng gave the two men the horses and started to look at his big prize.

He found tents, ropes, seeds, dried meat, clothes, a couple dozen of heavy armor, a dozen of spears, javelins and Bows, a large map was found in the saddle of one of the three warhorses.

Taking the best heavy armor, spear, Bow and 4 quivers worth of arrows plus the map.

He separated the armors and weapons to be sold later to Da Donghai or to be sold in the city if Qing Qiuyue recommended someone to Feng.

Feng discarded the rest to the side for auntie Qing to take tomorrow then opened the map and took a glimpse at this world's geography.

Beside the Shi kingdom there was three kingdoms and one empire plus a large area of the beast mountains drawn on the map, the map looked old and places like Rock city, sword village, Obsidian city in the northwest corner of Shi Kingdom, etc. Were newly added to the map's information.

In beast mountains to the far west of the map there was a red dot with a black circle covering a mountainous area, that mark was the most conspicuous thing on the map.

But according to the map, Feng would need to go deep in the beast mountains for a distance equaling 7 Shi kingdoms to reach the area.

Last time he was a few days west of Rock City and met one demonic beast and a wolfpack, to head that deep inside beast mountains would be seeking death for himself.

"Whine...."

"Huh! I forgotten about you girl, just wait a few more minutes. I'll make you some delicious food."

Storm dropped her body on top of the leather map in front of Feng to grab his attention, she was very hungry after running all the time from lonely mountain to Rock city and after sleeping for a while as Feng organized his spoils she woke up hungry to find him not preparing food for her and staring at the map.

Pushing the lazy mother wolf away from the map and folding it and keeping it in Shadow's sack, Feng started to make some food for himself and Storm as well.

The pups were enjoying themselves in a game of tag between Shadow's hoofs, and Shadow was munching his grass with a mischievous glint shadowing his eyes as he used his hairy tail to play with the pups.

After Feng ate he started to mimic Lili's footwork under the watch of the horse and wolf family, again and again he was suffering from pain because it really hurt to try that simple looking movement.

After hitting his limit Feng lay on his back gasping for breath and Storm lay next to him and playfully tries to spoil him by hugging him with her dangerous looking claws.

But Zhu Feng wasn't satisfied with the progress of his footwork training at all, simply because it makes him very tired to do anything else afterwards.

His sword training didn't even start after a few days of getting his own sword from general Lian, the only time he used it was when he killed these bandits other than that it was merely a decoration at his side.

Not to mention the physical training he planned to do.

Sighing, Feng buried his head in Storm's thick fur and slept soundly until dawn.

He woke up to find the mischievous pups still energetic and lively as they chased after Shadow's tail.

Feng decided to change plans with his daily training, in the morning he'll do his otherworldly exercises to strengthen his body with the advanced techniques from earth.

Then, he'll have his breakfast and do the sword training, actually it couldn't be considered sword training because he will be learning from scratch on how to wield the sword.

"Pull-ups, push-ups, squats and burpees. Let's get this body in a good shape."

Feng started to exercise once he woke up until his legs and arms couldn't move anymore then dragged his tired body to the bathroom to clean up, after getting out feeling somewhat better he made breakfast and ate like a wolf.

"Phew.... That felt good, still, this body is stronger than I expected."

As he checked his thin arms and legs, Feng wondered just where all that strength came from!

He never exceeded the number of 40 push-ups before in his previous life on earth, just before, he did 60 push-ups without feeling his arms shake and continued until he reached 100 before his arms failed his weight.

As he patted his full stomach and rested his body Feng began to imagine himself with a body of tuned muscles as strong as steel.

"Good morning little Feng, eh! look at the small ones play with little Shadow's tail. Will their mother get angry if I held them?"

When Qing Qiuyue arrived she had her attention grabbed by the little pups at once, her eyes turned into hearts as she wanted to run and catch them in her embrace but Storm's existence made her hesitate.

"Auntie Qing it's not a problem, but, can we please finish dealing with these things first. Some are day to day supplies and some are weapons and armors but I don't know if auntie deal with weapons."

Feng wanted to get rid of the unnecessary items first.

"Okay, Tong can you bring three of our staff members to calculate the worth of these items."

"So what do you plan on doing with these armors and weapons? I don't trade in that business."

Qing Qiuyue called her people to estimate the supplies and provisions then told Feng that she doesn't buy or sell weapons or armors.

"There's somewhere I will head next and that blacksmith can buy them or take them as part of my payment for forging me a sword."

Feng nodded since Qing Qiuyue didn't recommend anyone in the city and decided to sell them to Da Donghai or add them to the cost of forging his sword.

But he felt like these weapons and armors should be worth more than one gold coin.

"I see."

Qing Qiuyue didn't speak much and seemed to have something occupying her thoughts as she watched her people take inventory of the items Feng brought.

"Do you have any idea how much they're worth? at least a close estimation would do."

Feng asked the daydreaming middle-aged woman.

"Hrmmm, 4 or 5 gold coins for the weapons, Bows and arrows the armors are about 8 to 10 gold coins. But, don't take my words for granted, the worth of these items rely heavily on the metals they're made from."

After looking at the cluster of weapons and armors and flipped a few to look at their quality, auntie Qing told Feng her estimations.

'I'm rich!' Feng's eyes lit up in happiness when he heard auntie Qing's words and thought about what he can do with that much money.

He was so happy that he snatched the most lovely pair of pups and handed them to auntie Qing to play with them, Joy and Harmony.

As he watched the middle-aged woman smile broadly while holding the calm male pup and mischievous female pup gently, Feng planned to go to Da Donghai's smithy once he finishes the transaction with Qing Qiuyue.

"Lady Qing, these items are worth 34 silver coins."

The elderly man held a piece of paper and calculated the items on it then told the worth of the items.

Feng was extremely excited because that didn't include the worth of the horses, 3 war horses are 9 silver coins alone.

Not to mention the rest of the normal horses are fine and healthy, if every one was only 17 bronze coins then the total worth of 37 horses is more than 6 more silver coins.

Feng calculated the total amount of money he earned from killing a few bandits and felt like heading to raid the headquarters himself, 10 silver 1342 bronze coins from the bodies, another 34 silver from the supplies, and he still didn't finish the transaction of the horses.

"Auntie Qing, the horses, did you finish checking their health and worth?"

Feng asked as he gathered the weapons and armors to tie them up, the middle-aged woman was currently hugging Harmony and Joy with giggles escaping her mouth every second.

First she kept taking side glances at Storm with fear in her eyes, then she felt at ease when she found the mother wolf lazily sleep.

"They're all fine, 3 silver coins for a warhorse and 20 bronze coins for a normal horse. 16 silver, 40 bronze coins for the horses, add 34 for the supplies the total is 50 silver 40 bronze. Yeee, this is tickling! you started this. Here's payback."

Joy used her tail to enter the middle-aged woman's clothes and tickled her chest, not being a one to surrender, Qing Qiuyue tickled mischievous Joy back while patting the calm Harmony's back as he sat on her thigh.

"Auntie Qing just give me 40 silver coins and exchange these bronze coins for 14 silver coins, this is the least I can do for now to repay Liling's favor."

Feng gave the middle-aged woman his bronze coins to change them for silver and gave her a discount of almost 10 silver. 

"Little Feng is being too good to that niece of mine, auntie Qing will take this chance to earn some money from you. If only that metal headed fool would be like you, sigh."

Rubbing her face to little Joy's body she gestured for the old man called Tong to change Feng's money and spoke with a sad tune.

Again Feng didn't intrude on the woman's privacy and raised the weapons and armors on Shadow's back.

"So, where are you headed to next?"

As she reluctantly lowered the two pups to the ground auntie Qing asked Feng who was getting ready to leave.

"Sword village, there's a blacksmith there who promised to create my sword and he seems like an expert."

Feng didn't notice the shock on the middle-aged woman's face as he spoke, he was carefully placing the pups in the sack and giving Qing Qiuyue his back.

"I.... i'll go with you, there's something in the eastern farms requiring my presence."

Qing Qiuyue hurriedly spoke then went to the horse stables to get her horse, Feng thought the woman liked the pups like her niece and wanted to join him.

"Whatever, it's not like she's riding the same horse with me, if she wants to go with me then so be it."

After Feng got ready to leave he received his money from the elder called Tong and a few seconds later auntie Qing arrived riding a black warhorse.

"Neigh....."

"Whoah.... Hey Shadow what's got into you, calm down."

"Heh, it's his mother, he was never separated from her for that long."

Qing Qiuyue told Feng why the young warhorse was happy when he saw her horse.

"So that's why, it's a family reunion."

Feng patted Shadow's neck to calm him and let him be happy and strut around freely, currently Feng had a wealth of 64 silver why wouldn't he let the horse have his fun.

When he sells the remaining of his spoils Feng can earn at least another 10 gold coins, at least for the next winter he wouldn't be suffering from a lack of funds.

"Wake up Storm, come on let's go."

When the thought of earning more money in sword village struck, Feng jumped on top of Shadow's back and called Storm to wake up.

"Woof...."

With a drowsy attitude and yawning jaws full of canines, Storm slowly followed along Feng's and Qing Qiuyue's horses.

"Little Feng, is it true?"

Finally Qing Qiuyue couldn't hold back her curiosity and asked.

"What's that?"

Feng had the gist of it from the woman's look at Storm but he asked for clarification.

"You tamed this mother wolf when a wolfpack attacked you, was you really unarmed? Then how did you survive? They say monster repellent powder doesn't work on the leader of the wolfpack."

When she saw Feng nod to confirm that he was really unarmed, auntie Qing asked him for more details as they rode east for the gates under the gazes of the city citizens.

"What's that monster repellent powder?"

Instead of answering Feng was more intrigued by the strange name.

"You don't even know about monster repellent powder? It's something made by apprentice alchemists to keep the insects and normal animals away from the hunters, now I'm even more curious about how you did it."

When she saw Feng shake his head to indicate his ignorance, Qing Qiuyue started telling him about the powder's usefulness.

"The situation was strange from the beginning, first I was with my battalion and a demonic beast killed our leader......"

Feng entertained the middle-aged woman until they left the city under the fearful eyes of the soldiers and captains, these men sighed in relief when they saw the man who cause two company senior captains to be demoted and flogged, one squadron captain demoted all the way to foot soldier and flogged after having all his wealth confiscated for embezzlement and colluding with the companies senior captains to steal the entrance fees.

Not to mention the city guards and gate guards on duty, they had to be respectful to the citizens and severely admonished for their shitty treatment towards tax payers.

The general sent word of his displeasure and added another layer of promotion requirements on the next reformation of the west army, Good reputation is a Must for all applicants to be promoted in the future.

Someone with good reputation and clean record will ascend higher in ranks than someone with a bad history.

Those men with ambitious hearts steered clear of any misbehavior or people with bad history.

The citizens no longer shied away from sending their reports to the officials, this one bullied me, that one took bribes, these group forcefully took my daughter's virginity.

In one day, almost half the people in the military garrisons of Rock city were called in for interrogation.

Zhu Feng was cursed to damnation by all those who suffered in the second wave of his jinx.

The man himself was riding east unawarely of what storm Shi kingdom's west army will suffer because of him calling out one greedy squadron captain and a bully soldier who mistreated the city visitors.

"Hahaha, to think that obedient Storm almost ate little Feng over a week ago, thankfully you threw that blanket over her. Good move."

Qing Qiuyue enjoyed the story of Feng's struggle and laughed aloud when Feng told her how he tied up Storm's limbs with his clothes.

"That's all in the past now, auntie Qing sword village is up ahead let's go meet old Da Donghai the blacksmith. Ah, I forgot to ask you, where do you plan to go? Is it somewhere in these farms?"

Feng remembered that he didn't know where the middle-aged woman want to go yet and asked.

"Is something wrong? Auntie Qing, are you not feeling well?"

Then he noticed the woman's face being heavy with sadness suddenly as he spoke, Feng worriedly asked as he didn't know what to do.

"Sniff.... It's alright.... I didn't visit this place in a few decades, many of my childhood memories were in this Villa."

Wiping her tears in her sleeves, Qing Qiuyue said something that confused Feng.

"Villa? Isn't it a village!"

Pointing with his finger at the sign up on the walls on top of the only gate Feng raised an eyebrow, he wanted to avoid the matter causing sadness to the woman.

"It used to be the private land of a Baron, later he was executed in the capital with his followers for treason. The villa and his surrounding farmlands were confiscated by the crown, Sword Villa was named sword village instead."

Auntie Qing sadly looked up at the rusty name with gritted teeth then sighed as she told Feng about the story.

"That's why the old man kept laughing at me that time, later if auntie Qing wants to go anywhere just tell me. After traveling around the area for a few days I discovered that it's not very safe to travel alone."

Feng entered the gates and headed for Da Donghai's smithy while offering protection if she wanted to go somewhere else later.

The middle-aged woman merely nodded once and kept her eyes ahead in a daze.

The people were scared to find the mother wolf walking between the two horses calmly, they hurried to pull their children inside the houses and courtyards to prevent them from playing in the streets.

"Old Da, it's me from a few days ago. You in?"

Getting down from Shadow's back Feng started to knock on the door and call the one handed blacksmith.

"Come in....."

When the door opened the tall one handed man's words got stuck in his mouth when he saw the woman on top of the horse behind Feng.

"Oh, let me introduce you, this is auntie Qing, she's the owner of a large store in Rock city and a close relative of one of my friends. This is senior Da the only blacksmith in this place, my sword will be personally forged by him."

Feng introduced the two and felt the mood being strange, the two seniors seemed to be in their own world.

"Cough..."

He coughed to wake the daydreaming one handed hulk, there was no space for him to enter because the large fellow was blocking the door with his body.

"Ah... welcome, please come in. Excuse my messy place, as I get old I become more disorganized."

With a startle the tall Da Donghai turned to enter and tried to make his messy courtyard more presentable, as he spoke the man was clumsily pushing or throwing away stuff here and there.

'I already saw your shitty place before! Wait, he's embarrassed because of auntie Qing' Feng thought as he stole a look at the woman and saw sadness overflowing from her eyes as she looked at the man's shameful sight.

Da Donghai didn't even notice the wolf sitting in his garden to sleep, or the horse eating his vegetables and fruits from the basket that he just got from his friend as a gift.

All he had in his sight was the middle-aged woman Qing Qiuyue.

Sighing, Feng sat in the reception room and waited for the one handed blacksmith to finish, he kept looking curiously at the woman and waited for her to explain to him why she didn't tell him that she knew old Da.

"W.... we're childhood friends."

"Uh-huh."

"He's.... like a big brother to me."

"Obviously."

"L.... last time I saw him I was about the same age of little Feng."

"That age Huh."

"Bffft stop teasing this lady."

Finally Qing Qiuyue broke her daze and noticed that Feng was using the opportunity to know more about her past.

"Auntie Qing started it, you used me as a shield to see old Da. I deserve to know at least that much."

Feng stretched out his lips and muttered in a grumpy tune, he was sure that these two -were and still are- in love.

"Wait until he returns from his foolish act of trying to escape a direct confrontation with me, you'll know everything then. Despite that being something private between me and Donghai, i'll let you in to a tiny bit because you're Liling's friend."

Staring at the tall fellow running everywhere while tidying up the courtyard, Qing Qiuyue squinted slightly with an amused look as she spoke to Feng.

'She's Liling's aunt alright, her eyes and attitude is similar to a huntress eyeing her prey as she looks at the tall fellow, just hurry up and sit down, you're only embarrassing yourself man' Feng shook his head when he found the difference in behavior between the woman and the man and thought as he waited for Da Donghai to join them in the reception of his own house.

"Old Da, just come and sit down. At least offer us something to drink, we're guests after all."

Finally Feng couldn't endure it and called for the man who stood behind a tree talking to himself.

"Ah... Hahaha, how forgetful of me, there's some good wine from my master's oldest batch of brew."

"Humph, it's only noon and you want to drink wine! Sit down."

"Yes."

As old Da was about to head to the backyard to get the wine, he ended up getting harshly interrupted by Qing Qiuyue and ordered to sit.

Surprisingly, the tall muscular man was visibly trembling under the woman's gaze and he lowered his head in shame, His only hand was scratching his nail like hair and his long beard was shaking with his low muttering.

"Why didn't you come? Do you know how long have I waited for you? So what if they're all dead? So what if you're one handed? We're alive, yet you Donghai made me wish for death. You coward."

Once the man sat, he found Qiuyue with a begrudging tune and face throw him with her sword like tongue, piercing once and again at his pride.

"I'll leave you two alone."

"Sit down."

"Sit down."

Once Feng heard the middle-aged woman's words he felt it inappropriate for him to stay any longer and got up to leave, the two lovers glared at him and told him to sit in the same time.

"See! You two are a perfect match, just take your time solving these small matters. They always say, better late than never."

Feng smiled helplessly and shrugged before getting out and closing the door behind him.

Once the two were alone in the small reception room, Qing Qiuyue's face blushed like a tomato and Da Donghai's gaze softened as he watched the few wrinkles on his lover's face.

For more than 30 years she waited and waited for him to gather up his courage and make his move on her, but his pride and ego made him feel unworthy of the woman's care.

She was from the Qing clan, one of the 8 ancient clans in Shi kingdom, when he was young he aspired to be a knight and gain nobility like his master's master.

After the incident of the execution of his Baron lord and his master with the other followers of the Baron in the capital for treason, Da Donghai lost his left arm to one of the royal knights after running his mouth and overestimating himself.

He lost hope for a future and drowned himself in liquor to forget the hopes and dreams, the only thing he couldn't let go off was this girl's love.

Even after she got older he couldn't forget her smile and stubbornness, he knew she didn't leave Rock city and waited for him.

He even visited the city a couple times and hid himself underneath a cloak to watch her from afar, her style of humble clothes matched his own poverty.

Her simple life matched his own.

Her grief resembled his.

"Yue, I'm sorry."

"Damn right you're, do you know how lonely and hurt was I when I heard about your loss? Especially since you shut yourself in your own space and shunned me out, I was having my hands full trying to resist my family's attempts to get me married to these spoilt bunch of waste. I needed you more than ever and you drank your sorrows like a fool all day. Just why didn't you man up and pay me a single visit, idiot."

Despite being angry at him, the sight of his missing arm was burning at her eyes and her tears fell as she spoke.

He got older and larger, half his head was filled with white hair.

But, these eyes were the same prideful pair.

She didn't know when he snatched her into his embrace, or when he started caressing her cheeks to calm her like he did in the past.

Like a kitten she curled up in his wide chest and cried her heart out, hitting him or even biting him didn't make him stop patting her back until she slept soundly and safely.

"I watched from afar and couldn't take that final step to meet you, like a brave soul you're the one who broke in to snatch me from my fears."

Kissing Qing Qiuyue forehead Da Donghai felt like he found his better half after years of being lost.

8