Chapter 134: Certainty
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yue took a deep breath as he peeked out of the window of the Belarusian palace…the crowd could be seen all the way to the horizon. It was a big deal for Belarus to hold a royal wedding, especially because it was their first since being acquired by the Ivanov family and even having a royal family.

Yue hadn’t been expecting this many people though…

But it made sense. Andrei and Elena had pulled out all of the stops to make Belarus’ usually harsh atmosphere hospitable for the general public just for this moment. That involved A LOT of mages—mostly those from Belarus, the White Tiger temple, and the black tortoise temple— and even Elena herself casting spells and holding up barriers for the entirety of the day. Yue was actually also helping but not too much since he was still needing to use his power to transform his body into a more feminine appearance.

“I had my special moment in China, we can get this over with as quickly as possible for Elena’s sake,” Yue said to Mai who was in his room with him.

“Well…the barrier HAS to hold for the whole day so that everyone who isn’t able to survive in Belarus can get out after the receptions so…there’s really no need to rush through it,” Mai said and watched as maids styled Yue’s hair.

“…Mai I’m so tired…I want to get this over and sleep for a thousand years.” Yue whined.

“Hard to believe you were so excited about your wedding a while ago.” Mai chuckled.

Yue turned to her, his makeup was fully done and purposefully styled to make his eyes look even more ethereal than usual. His hair was also pretty much done, styled in a half-up do that was reminiscent of his usual hairstyle but with the more elegant and feminine touch of a white flower hairpin.

“I was excited! Then I had my wedding in China, which was amazing, and my husband decided to tire me out enough for the aforementioned thousand years.” Yue rolled his eyes.

“Waah! It’s so tiring being in love!” Mai mocked him jokingly.

“Just grin and bear it, starting tomorrow it’s honeymoon time! You’ll be free to sleep or fu—“ Natasha laughed. She walked in when Mai started talking about how excited Yue had been. She was going to go into vulgar language but she stopped herself when she looked at Mai.

“Free to sleep or ‘mess around’ with Vitya all you want,” Natasha said and chuckled.

“You don’t have to hold your tongue just because I’m pregnant, Y’know?” Mai chuckled.

“Alexei was a stickler about that when I was pregnant with Nikolai so it became a habit.” Natasha chuckled, “…he’s a bit of a softie when it comes to kids.” 

“No wonder Nikolai is so sweet and innocent.” Mai chuckled.

“…Why is everyone I know obsessed with their lover.” Yue teased.

“Like you’re one to talk, you think I didn’t see that bite mark on my brother’s shoulder? You should file those fangs of yours, dear lord!”  Natasha laughed and pinched Yue’s cheek a little, not very strongly as to not redden his cheek.

Yue just laughed. He was really happy to have Natasha and Mai. He never imagined he’d become close to them but now they were very close. 

“Come on, it’s almost time,” Natasha said and pulled Yue up.

She and Mai smiled and admired Yue for a second. He wore a strapless white wedding dress with a white sheer overcoat over his shoulders. He looked gorgeous and despite his complaints, he was very excited.

-

“Lord Xia is waiting for you, at the door….and your husband is obviously waiting for you at the altar. Take your time.” Natasha said to Yue and grinned before helping him with his veil.

She and Mai split from Yue after that. They continued through the hall while Yue stopped in front of a large door (which was usually open as it just led to a hallway). Outside those doors on the stairway stood the Ivanov family, except Viktor, Andrei, and Elena who were waiting at the altar, just past another door at the bottom of the stairs.

Jinghua, Mai, and Huy were at the bottom of the stairway; they represented Yue and his family. Natasha, Alexei, and Arseny were on the opposite side of them, they represented Viktor. 

In Front of the door was Xia LiJun. He was waiting to escort Yue down the aisle. He wore a hanfu in the Xia Family’s colors with pride and looked forward at Yue with a calm expression.

It would be a lie for Yue to say he was truly comfortable with all this. He and Xia LiJun were never truly close and this was especially true following Xia Guiren’s death. He appreciated Xia LiJun for doing this though…it helped him save face among the nobles of Europe. Had he not been there he would’ve walked down the aisle alone and gotten many weird looks and started many rumors.

“Thank you,” Yue murmured, taking Xia LiJun’s arm.

“No, Thank you.” Xia LiJun said plainly and turned to face the door.

Yue was a bit confused. Xia LiJun seemed different somehow. He didn’t pay much attention to it though. If something really was wrong…The people in the room would’ve already taken note.

He was tired out completely from all of the energy he used for the barrier and all of the preparations for this wedding and the one in China so his senses weren’t in the best shape. Everyone knew that so everyone was on guard for him. And no one had anything to say…so Yue was safe to assume he was just imagining things.

While down the aisle arm in arm with Xia LiJun, Yue looked around at the crowd around them. So many nobles were staring, their feelings about this wedding were clear even to Yue’s tired eyes. Mark stood out as expected. Partially because of his aura of intense hatred but also because of the way his brother was holding his shoulder. The seemingly innocent grasp was quite obviously a death grip, daring Mark to step out of line.

Yue almost laughed, he wished he could taunt him a little but that wasn’t what was important at the moment. Looking forward made the rest of the world disappear from his sight. There he was…his husband. 

Viktor’s smile, charming as always, twitched a little. Yue was a little too far to notice but Elena could see it. She couldn’t tell what it was though, was it him trying to suppress a goofy smile at the sight of his beloved? Or maybe years at the thought of marrying the love of his life? (he hadn’t cried about it yet and Elena was just waiting for the crybaby side of her son to come out)

Or maybe it’s surprise?

At Yue’s beauty…or maybe at the man who’s walking him down the aisle?

—-

“…it’s a shame fate can’t be changed…but it’s good to know you can cheat it like this.”  Elena chuckled as she looked at Xia LiJun.

“…yes. It has saved me from many regrets.”  Xia LiJun murmured.

—-

Yue was going to let go of Xia LiJun’s arm the second he got close enough to grab Viktor’s hand but Xia LiJun moved their hands so he was holding Yue’s hand with both of his own.

Thank you…for being my child.” Xia LiJun whispered, no Belarusian nobles could understand him as he spoke in Chinese but he spoke quietly regardless.

Thank you, for being my father,” Yue responded, it was a bittersweet feeling. To know that he would never again be Xia Yue. But it was a change he was ready to make.

Xia LiJun passed Yue’s hand to Viktor silently. Viktor took it and bowed to Xia LiJun respectfully.

It must be rough. To hear that for the first and last time.’ Elena’s words went to Xia LiJun’s head through telepathy.

‘…I’m just glad I ever got to hear it.’ 

‘…you changed a lot, Fei Xiang.’ Elena didn’t say those words to ‘Xia Lijun’. She didn’t have to. He already knew.

-

For Yue, the wedding was a blur after that, he recalls kissing Viktor at the end, Sitting at the private reception, and then waking up in Viktor’s arms in the morning.

“Oh! You’re finally awake.” Viktor said and looked at him worriedly.

“Mm…I feel like I slept for a week!” Yue stretched his arms and then hugged Viktor, he felt completely revitalized after all that had happened.

“…oh Yue…” 

Yue was a little confused as he heard Viktor’s tone. He then noticed that Yue was fully clothed and it seemed to be midday.

“You did sleep for a week.” Viktor hugged Yue extra tight and let out a tired sigh.

“Huh?!”

“Don’t worry about it! You seem to be in perfect health and you’re on your honeymoon! Relax! Sleep for another week if you want!” Elena chuckled as she had tea with Viktor and Yue.

“…I didn’t think I was that tired,” Yue murmured.

“You two have been running around for months! You both deserve to sleep for a week or two after all that!” Elena said and patted Yue’s back.

“I’m sorry for making you all worry though…” Yue apologized. He knew that while Elena was laughing now, it was probably chaos while he was asleep.

“It’s alright…Now no more apologizing.” Elena said and smiled. She seemed to be staring at the couple intently for a while after she said that though.

“What is it, Lena? Are the kids okay?” Andrei asked as Elena stepped into his office.

“Yes, they’re fine. I’m just not quite sure who my second grandchild will come from anymore.” Elena giggled and sat on Andrei’s lap.

“Oh?” Andrei raised his brow.

“Tasha and Alexei mentioned they wanted to have one more now that Kolya was older but… I have a feeling it won’t be long for Yue and Vitenka.” Elena nudged some papers away from Andrei’s desk and rested her feet on the desk.

“…your hunches are never wrong it seems.” Andrei chuckled.

“Maybe I’m a prophet too.” Elena laughed.

“…I’m sorry for worrying you,” Yue murmured and stroked Viktor’s hair as he rested his head on his lap.

“Come on…you’ve already apologized so many times, it’s okay. I’m just happy you’re okay.” Viktor smiled and looked up at Yue.

Yue tried to cheer up a little but he still felt bad.

 “Did Mai and Huy go home?”  Yue asked after a while of silence.

“Yes, the vermilion bird followers wanted to have a check-up with Mai since she had been going through so much excitement lately. I didn’t tell her about what happened to you but Huy knows and has kept in touch.” Viktor explained.

Yue became lost in thought for a while after hearing that and Viktor sat up and changed their positions so he was kneeling in front of him. “Yue?”

“Yes?” Yue snapped out of his daze, confused.

“Do you want children?” 

Yue was silent before he gulped a little. He didn’t want to really assume but he got the feeling Viktor didn’t really care for having kids. 

“…I uh I mean I like kids… so I would like one…that looks like you and all,” Yue mumbled.

Viktor was a little surprised by the way Yue worded that but he just kind of laughed in response.

If he was being honest, it wasn’t that Viktor disliked kids—-he really just disliked his own experience with being a kid. He was terrified of putting someone else through that and even more so he was terrified of hurting his child the way he was hurt as a child.

Before it was because he worried he would somehow become his father but now…he was just scared of being misunderstood by that child just like he misunderstood his father.

“…a kid that looks like you…would be much better.” Viktor chuckled.

“…We don’t have to…” Yue murmured.

“I know you, Yue. I know you want a family more than anything.” Viktor smiled and held Yue’s cheeks in his hands.

“I do but…if you don’t want kids we don’t have to have them. We’re already a family!” 

“…Yue…It’s not like I hate kids... I just don’t know if I could manage to be a good father. But I’m willing to try. For you.” Viktor said and kissed Yue’s forehead.

Yue tried to continue insisting that he was fine either way but Viktor shut him up with a kiss.

“…I’m absolutely certain that I want this. So stop arguing 'cause I know you want this too.” 

Yue kind of wanted to argue more but a smile had crawled its way onto his face and he couldn’t really stay serious or fake hesitance.

 

1