Chapter 5
90 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5 · London rush

We hurried down the road. The sun hadn't risen yet and only a few people seemed to be out. As Zoey pulled me along I didn't get to see many details however the street I could almost feel were different.

It was like a dark aura filled the streets. I shivered and not from the cold wind. People hurried on most hiding their face and some even under dry black umbrellas even those it wasn't raining.

We went on and on Zoey gabbing my hand pulling me along. I wouldn't have minded but I almost fell face first many times trying to keep up.

Left. Left. Right. Left again. Going in between empty alleyways. Past closed shop and running across roads until we came to a small office building. Dark glass windows were impossible to see into. Gray concrete walls stood tall and strong.

"Fwww, we made it and in good time too," Zoey said turning back to me for the first time since we started running.

"I never doing that again" I puffed bent over.

"Come on we need to talk to Void," Zoey stated as she walks towards the door and headed inside. Slowly I joined her.

As I stepped in the colours changed. A small welcome room with White painted walls and purple cushions chairs lined the wall. A small table sat in the corner filled with magazines. A wooden door seemed to lead more into the office. Above the door sat a logo.

The logo seemed to glow golden almost with a relic feeling to it. On a wooden shield base sat a painted golden key hanging from a chain. It was a simple design but at the same time odd like it was missing something. A large crack seems to run from one end of the wooden shield to the over yet it still stayed together.

"Why would some be called Void. Is it a gang name or something." I stuttered as the warmth of the heating make me realise how bitter outside it was for the begging of spring.

Zoey giggled as she placed her hand on a glass screen next to the door, that seemed to scan her hand.

"Sorry just trying to think of Void as a gangster," Zoey replied as the wooden door clicked open "maybe as a mob boss but I think he got it when working for the government."

"So you also work for the government," I asked quietly so not to stain my voice. Already it was starting to itch.

"No Void got fired I think and had to babysit Felix or something. As for what I do I'm a relic hunter." she puffed proudly as we walked down a large room with much the same decor and past a few desks with paperwork and computers sitting on them.

Then we came to three doors. One a large reinforced metal door and two wooden ones. The wooden doors were named on brass plates as such: "Void" and "Lily".

Zoey knocked on the one marked "Void" and a deep stone cold voice reply " Come in Zoey and bring her with you."

Zoey pushed open the door to reveal a simple office. Framed document lined the walls, a small metal document draw sat in the corner while a small window let in the light of the rising sun. At the end of the room sat a wooden desk littered in forms and other paperwork with a small computer humming away giving out a pale light.

Sitting in that pale light sat a large bulking man. Grey hair, grey eye's matching with a grey suit. Black rippling tattoo ran around his hands and up his arms. His face gave away no details apart from the bags under his eyes and his body slumped into the chair giving away his lack of sleep.

"Zoey how can I help you." came the deep voice of Void.

"Um, well I need Felix to have a look at Jade," Zoey muttered with puppy eyes at Void.

"Zoey you know that will not work on me," he replied with a yawn before turning his eyes to me "Zoey would you please leave for a second."

"Sure thing boss man," she agreed" you coming Jade."

"I meant Zoey that me and Miss Jade here should talk. Alone if you please." He replies in an even tone.

"Oh.. alright then I guess I will be outside if you need me." She said slowly walking out the door and shutting it behind her.

"Please take a seat" Void directed me to a small leather couch next to the wall.

"So miss Jade do you happen to have a last name." Void chuckled crossing his arm.

"I do. It's Rivera. Jade Rivera" I babbled

"Any family I should know about" Void responded

"No. No one. Can I ask why?" I replied now starting to get annoyed. I wasn't used to talking this much.

"Work it out yourself. Now, do you know about magic" he sighed?

"No. Is that some type of joke."I snapped back now getting very annoyed.

With a deep sigh, he started reaching into a draw. " I have a form here; fill this out in your own time. The basics you need to know is magic is real. Some people have it some can see it and most can't see it. People can gain magic sight and magic from any age but more likely if other people in their family have magic. You have to go to a school of types that what the forms for. Now then Felix get off her lap and do your job."

"Aw no fair." Came the sound of a teens voice next to me.

I jumped up and failed. looking down to see a person laying on top of me. A slim blond hair guy who looked to be about 20. with Green eye, white lab coat, cat ear and tail. Wait... what.

"Your a cat," I said shocked.

"No, I'm not. Mew." He said raising a hand and using it as a paw.

"Felix stop it." Voids voice grumbled from his chair.

"Your no fun." Came a voice from the corner. I looked down to see he had disappeared.

"What... how... what" I stuttered.

"That Felix. He has many skills. He can teleport and be a pain in the ass at the same time." Void chimed now standing up and walking to the door.

"Your so cute Void when your half asleep," Felix said with a beaming smile.

"Whatever you say. Lock up when you leave. Night Zoey." Void muttered stumbling out the door.

"It morning just to say." Zoey hummed as he walked away.

"Well, are you coming then." Came the giggling voice of Felix.

"How are you doing that and why is that guy so mean," I asked still pissed at that guy.

"Number one: magic. Number two: he's been dumped with a load of paperwork from the top lady, has to keep an eye on all the lemmings, haven't slept in four days and is a recovering alcoholic. Is that all my lady?" saying the last part with a deep over the top bow.

"Um yes," I replied a bit shocked at the quick reply.

"Now to the lab!" Felix shouted with a flick of his lab coat. He started walking out of Voids office and to the large metal door. I followed with Zoey behind be playing on her phone.

And she had the sound on. Some people.

As the door slowly opened Felix waved his hands and in a bellowing tone said "welcome to the great lab of stuff and many things."

White tile walls and a large metal fan for the room of the room. Tables were cluttered with items some long, thin and made of glass whiles glowed and beeped. Everything was everywhere and compared to the formal and clean office this looked like a bomb had hit it.

"Sorry about the mess. I'm doing stuff in the storeroom sooooo yes. Also, Zoey don't go into the storeroom."

"Why what did you do?" She asked a fit of fear forming on her face. God, she was easy to read.

"It's fine, it fine I've done worse," he said while moving around the room. Upon moving to an examination table he swept away all the boxes stored on top onto the floor.

He looked at me and patted the table.

"Wait. You're not going to do anything weird to me. Right." I asked the fear easy to hear in my voice.

"You don't trust me," He cried wiping away a fake tear "after all I have done for you now you wish to frow me to the street rats."

"I've known you for less than five minutes" I tried to shout my voice cracking as I did so.

"Oh and in that time we've shared so much. Your soft legs, my endless charm." He declared with a smug look like the cat that got the cream.

Suddenly he was right in front of me. "Maybe a kiss to make you feel better."

I opened my mouth to shout back but then he kissed me. On my lips. On my fucking lips.

SLAP.

I slapped him as hard as I could.

I wish I hadn't had come out of my flat. There was no need for my uncle paid for it all but oh no. My stupid feelings. That damn cold. That damn nothingness.

I turn around. This was too much. I can't deal with people like him who treat life as a game. A sick fucking game.

That's when I tripped and everything went dark. 


The white tile room and blue sheeted bed. The sounds of people running around me. Back and fro, back and fro their footsteps echoing along the long hall they walk along. I remembered this place.

I was back in that hospitable from all those years ago. Laying in my bed looking out the windows at a nearby park. There were children playing there. I remember it now. So clearly.

The door opened and income two people. One was faceless like a blurred image but the over clean as day to see. My uncle.

I tried to move but my body didn't. A dream or more of a nightmare at the time.

"If you would leave us." came his voice but it sounded wrong like it was from far away or down a well.

He walks towards me and sat down blocking my view of the window and the light of the setting sun.

"Hello, their Jade. It nice to meet you" came his voice again but they seemed to be out of sink with his mouth.

"You likely don't know me but I'm your sister brother. I and your mom didn't talk much but now I'm here to look after you." He said with a smile. His face was wrong. It was all wrong. The room looked like it was melting almost."

Slow his hand reached for something in his pocket. Soon he held a small glass marble which he placed in my open hand. I didn't remember this. Not at all.

1