Volume 1: Chapter 13 – Intermission 2
271 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[][][13][][]

Karl and the others sat around Amelia's unconscious body, the rhythmic beating of her heart and smooth breaths evidence that she will live. The bandages around her abdominal area was soiled with blood whose flow had been cut-off thanks to Dana's use of her healing magic. A valuable tool for these types of situations.

Said girl was fast asleep on top of one of the tables near the classroom walls, having exhausted all her magical energy to save her fellow harem member. Lea spread a fresh blanket on top of her to keep her warm, while the others were occupied by there own thoughts.

Karl was the first to break the silence, raising his head towards Amelia's conscious form.

"...They knew I was observing them. There's no way Amelia would get caught that easily unless they already knew that she was always there spying on them."

"You didn't find it suspicious that they would easily let her spy on them? I sent my elemental summons to scout their base of operations inside the mall and found multiple holes in their defenses. I should have told you not to continue the mission...I was blind to the fact that it was a trap to get Amelia killed."

"If you say that then it's the two of us at fault for underestimating the enemy in the first place. At the very least, I'm now aware that our enemy is good at fooling us into thinking they were vulnerable but actually it was the reverse."

"Well boy, now you realize the danger one of your girls has gotten herself into? Taking responsibility like this means you have a spine inside you. Hell, there's no way I'd call a person like that a loser because he was brave enough to admit his mistakes in front of his harem. That takes courage to do boy."

"T-thanks Zo. I...I can't think of anything else right now except her, y'know? Even if she's here, right in front of me still breathing, I still feel guilty that I used her like that and nearly got her killed by the enemy."

"I know, I know. And I'm sure you want to kill the bitch that did that to her, right boy? I can feel it inside you. The urge to make them pay, to show them that you're capable of defending yourself against them. Shit, I can unlock a few abilities that you can use to even the odds, boy. Just say the word and this badass will give it to you."

"Not now Zo. I...I need time to think."

"Oh alright. But just tell me if you need anything, alright boy? If you want somebody to talk to then hit me up."

He felt Enzo's voice disappear as he returned his focus back on the reality in front of him. And saw Dana beside him, her hands clasped over his, assuaging his fears and worries.

"You worry too much, my love. I cast a protective spell on Amelia before you sent her on her mission. Even if you feel guilty about it now, then there's no use thinking of what-ifs and possibilities. What's done is done."

She turned her focus towards the others, who were now listening to her.

"Look at them, my love. Their eyes do not blame you for this. Even if some of them have only spent a little time with you after being marked and chosen, they still trust you. Don't ever think for a second that they will leave you just because of this fatal mistake."

Karl also turned his gaze towards them, seeing in his harem's eyes traces of concern, anxiety, fear, and loyalty, as if to say that they will follow him even if it would cost their lives.

He took a deep breath and squeezed her hand with one of his own.

"I know Dana. This is what the Arbiter told me, that as a Harem King, I am the one who's responsible for your protection. That's why...I feel so sick. Seeing her bleeding and on the verge of death...never in my life have I seen so much blood on one person...it's crazy. It's like those horror movies where you see every single main character butchered and killed by the unknown killer leaving only one of them alive. It's like..."

His body started trembling, as if some negative entity invaded his body, scenes and thoughts of negative images fleeting into his vision. Dana lifter her hands and placed them on his heart.

"Just calm down, my love. Breath. In and out." Her soothing tone made his body relax, slowly releasing the anxiety and tension inside him.

Kana rose up from her chair and stood next to Amelia's resting form, observing her peaceful rest.

"She did well, my liege. Facing the traps set for her head-on knowing that she risks death just by being present."

"You really think so, Kana?" Karl asked her.

She nodded, touching Amelia's arm and feeling her pulse within her.

"Don't worry Amelia. We will make sure to defeat all of them. All of us together. Your liege worried about you, you know? For your efforts, you deserve a break after our match against him."

"You're quite optimistic, huh Kana?" Alana told her, standing on Amelia's other side, her hand on her other arm.

"Of course, Alana. They tried to kill Amelia but they failed, which means that they need more than that to take one of us out."

"True, true. It's all thanks to Dana who can make us stronger if necessary."

"Hey Zo. Why don't I feel guilty sending Amelia on a dangerous mission knowing the risks?"

"It's because of your emotions boy. You and your harem are connected by a bond so powerful that you can feel their desire to be acknowledged by you, to the point that they will ignore their own sense of safety for the sake of the task you've give them. That's why I'm always  telling you to manage your harem well. The death of a harem member is...something that can never be described by words. My previous wielder saw five of his harem members die in one of the battles of the Great Harem Blood War and broke him completely that he killed himself...that's why I'm warning you again and again. Never take their lives for granted. "

"Is that the reason why they never blamed me for sending her out in the first place?"

"That seems to be the case. In fact, they're now worried about you. Look at their expressions boy."

He followed Zo's advice...and saw the worry and concern in everybody's expressions directed towards him. It touched his heart, a sense of comfort and safety in his mind.

"These bonds are precious boy. Never forget, you have to tame their personalities and actions so that they won't get killed out there. A Harem War may be fought in the Harem Dimension, but the preparations are done in the real world, and in the real world, you only live once unless there's someone out there that can revive the dead or possesses the Gauntlets of Revelation that can revive somebody once."

"Are the Gauntlets that powerful that they have the ability to revive somebody?"

"That's right boy. As you and John grow stronger, you'll come to know the blood-stained history of the Great Harem Blood War. A war where all Seven Sins Regalia were destroyed in the brutal battles between the Harem Kings and the Harem Slayers that spilled over in the real-world, with Davos City as one of the primary battlefields."

Enzo paused, giving Karl time to digest the new information given to him. He was shocked that this city where he was born became a battleground, unable to imagine the sight of the buildings being turned into rubble, and the corpses of innocent people lying all over the streets.

"I won't like what I'll be hearing the moment that comes, right Zo?"

He remained silent, making Karl anxious.

"...no. You won't like the gruesome details of that god-damned conflict. But it's necessary to shed light on the Harem Slayers. The only Arbiter that knows most of the details is Joker, John's personal Arbiter, because they were the only survivor of the conflict."

"The only survivor? What do you mean?"

"From among the Arbiters from that time, only Joker survived to see one of the Harem Kings emerge victorious, ending the war. Luscious also is one of the few King's Armaments that also knows more about that conflict compared to the six of us, but he won't be sharing that information anytime soon unless he feels that John is ready."

Karl just shivered in fear, feeling cold all of a sudden, as if winter has come despite the fact that the city itself lies in the south of the equator.

"I see...alright. I'll wait then."

Ending the conversation, he moved closer to Amelia's unconscious body, touching her forehead and feeling the body heat on her skin.

"Don't worry Ame. We'll pay them back. Just rest for now."

[][][][][]

Deep in the forest lay seven body bags, zipped tight as two people clad in medical gear carried them inside a large truck parked near the pathway. Because the forest lay beyond the outskirts of the city, it was the perfect place to commit crimes without the eyes and ears of the law.

"This makes it what, the fifth so far?" A bald man with round grey eyes asked his companion, a slim young man with brown hair, golden eyes, and dressed in an orange worker's uniform. The man wore a greatcoat to keep himself from shivering because of the dark cold night.

By the time the man arrived, he saw the young man clasping both arms with his hands, quivering.

"I-I t-think so sir. W-We received a call from an unknown number and when w-we a-arrived, w-we saw their dismembered bodies. Shit, you can still see their innards danging from their bowels sliced open sir...spines ripped out of their backs, eye-sockets gouged out bleeding, corpses being crudely lobotomized, heads split on a stick, but this...it's just horrible..."

The moment he said this, he turned around, walked a few paces, and threw up, unable to handle the gruesome scene he saw with his own eyes.

"So even the Harem Slayers are targeting the weaker ones too huh?" The man muttered, lighting a cigar and puffing a few rings of smoke that drifted upwards.

"They have the gall to attack the real-world knowing that most, if not all, the Harem Kings at present are still weak and struggling to grow stronger. Not bad at all. If I were them, then I would do the same thing. Pick targets of opportunity and pick-off the weaker ones until only the stronger ones remain."

Exhaling, he puffed another batch of rings, fewer in number but wider in diameter.

"Joker and the others are hard at work educating their assigned harem kings but I'm afraid it won't be enough..." He turned towards the young man who was still sporadically throwing up, the two workers keeping their distance from him.

He's not used to this. He thought.

"If 'that' man and his harem were here then...no. It's useless to think of what-ifs. I must have a talk with the Harem Council." 

He called the young man over and told him to go home for now so that he can rest, knowing that an experience like this takes some getting used to.

As for him, he made his way towards the truck, sat on the passenger's seat, and told the driver to go to the disposal building near the outskirts of the city.

[][][][][]

Inside the mall, an unconscious body laid on top of a medical bed, her body covered with bandages. Her restive breathing provided immense relief to the rest of the people who were inside the mall, more specifically in the mall infirmary.

"So we made a mistake," one of the girls muttered, a girl with short purple hair and purple eyes. All the girls present were wearing the Saint Arcus uniform.

"Seems that way. But then again, Weiss can sometimes be forgetful and mark the wrong target," answered the girl with orange hair tied in a bun and red eyes, yawning and rubbing her eyes as she did so.

A girl with dark purple hair wearing a star-shaped hair pin on each side and red eyes just sighed, rubbing her temples as she felt another migraine coming in.

"That's why I told you to accompany her Kate. Because she sometimes forgets. And gets punished for it."

Kate just shrugged her shoulders helplessly, knowing that she made a mistake that could have cost her friend's life.

"Hey, I did my best to accompany her, alright Kirika? Weiss was the one who was too impatient and left me behind. I tried catching up but she just vanished using her ice powers. I'm no Magician so spare me your lectures."

"But you were there when she confronted that handsome boy and that beautiful blonde girl, right?" She nodded,

"Then you could've handled the two of them easily. I mean, you have powerful abilities too. Surely yours are more than a match for those two?"

She shook her head, earning a surprised expression from her.

"Why?"

"The blond girl was too powerful. Not only did she cut all thirty of Weiss ice spears, she also managed to cut her down. In one stroke. It's too scary...my eyes couldn't even keep up. Even if I was able to counter-attack, she would only need a second stroke to cut me down too. Plus, that sword she was using had some magic on it."

"Magic? It must be a magical weapon then. We also have those you know?"

"That's true. But this was different."

"Oh really? How different?"

"It didn't display any magical power. It was simply...a weapon. That's it. No outward magical energy. No special skills used. Nothing."

She narrowed her eyes, trying to process her answer.

"Are you sure. Perhaps it gave the girl enough speed to react and attack at the same time against Weiss? Some magical weapons are like that. They provide passive bonuses that enhance their combat capability."

She shook her head again, sticking to her testimony.

"No. It was simply a sword, although I'm not sure what type of sword it was. It cut like a sword,  was swung like a sword, and reacted like a sword would and should be."

She just nodded in response, proceeding to the next question.

"How about the boy?"

"There's something about the boy that...terrifies me. It must be the way he was confident enough to stand up to Weiss even if he had no special abilities to demonstrate against her. But then again, with that bodyguard of his, there's no way he's gonna end up fighting both of us."

"I see. In any case, Hiro has told us not to make any moves for now. With Weiss down and Bridgette taking down the opponent's Ranger, we have to prepare ourselves for this Saturday's match against them."

"But it's to our advantage since their Ranger is dead, right?."

"Not quite," Bridgette told them, leaning on one of the tables inside the room.

"What do you mean 'not quite'?"

"I saw their Summoner rescuing their Ranger. She was unconscious and bleeding but I would assume that she's alive."

"But that's impossible. Your arrow struck her back and detonated inside her right? She should have died right there and then, blown into pieces."

Bridgette shook her head to the surprise of Kate and Kirika.

"No. She must've been protected by a strong defensive spell or something similar. So I can say that we've equalized against each other. Their Ranger is down while our Magician is out cold."

"But Weiss can participate tomorrow right?" Kirika nodded her head. At the far right corner were discarded glass bottles with dark red sediments, arranged in an orderly manner.

"Thanks to Mikan's Alchemy, the blood potions are more than enough to heal her wounds."

"Yeah, yeah. Don't worry about it. I'm a creator remember? With my alchemy skill, I can create any potion or reagent as long as it's possible to do so," Mikan yawned again, eyes drooping as she fought the urge to sleep.

"Sigh. You know Mikan, you should rest for now. You've done enough," she sent Kiriko a thumbs up before dozing off to sleep.

"Alright. Since she's out cold and we barely have a strategy in place for now, we should wait for Hiro to appear. He's in the top of the mall by the way."

Meanwhile, an ordinary Japanese boy with light brown hair and black eyes leaned over the railing, gazing at the view before him.

"That was quite a loud explosion back there Greg."

"Of course, of course. That's loud, loud indeed. Your Ranger should have killed her. Yes. She should have killed her yet she lives. Oh yes, she lives still. If we want to acquire more then we must feed, feed, feed, and feed. I'm sure you're not satisfied with this. Yes? Yes! Of course! It's obvious that you want to become even stronger. So strong that you can take whatever you like. Whatever you like my amigo. Yes. We must look for more. Seek more. Feed more."

Hiro has gotten used to Greg's rumbling voice and sometimes annoying habit of repeating words or rephrasing them into something else. 

Do his other friends also have their own unique personalities? If so, then I can't wait to meet the other wielders. He thought.

"Sure Greg. Whatever you say. I'm not as greedy as you think I am."

"Is that so, is that so? Hmm...I see. I see indeed. You wanted to become popular, yes? Of course you do! And what did you get? Ding, ding, ding! A Harem. Any boy in your shoes would be giddy with excitement yes? Oh yes, of course! Now you want to increase your power and prestige. Power and prestige amigo. To do that you have to wage war. Yes. War, war, and more war. That's one of your duties as a harem king."

"I know, I know...you know what, Greg? All this thinking stuff doesn't fit me at all. I'm just average yet I have a group of pretty girls obeying my orders so I'll just return to them and check on Weiss status."

"Correct, that's correct amigo. You can improve yourself to a certain extent. Yes, to a certain extent. But there are times where you just have to be comfortable in your own skin. That's right. In your own skin. That's why I have no objections regarding your actions because they're your own. Your own indeed. But if you need any help, any help at all amigo, then you can call me anytime. Anytime you need some advice."

"Sure Greg. I'll talk to you if I have any questions." He felt Greg disappear, the yearning for more subsiding inside him. Taking one last look at the scenery, he turned around and walked back to the mall infirmary, where he discussed some important things with Kirika and the others.

[][][][][]

A small spark of light shone within the eternal abyss, illuminating the area surrounding it. It's brightness slowly grew larger, waning and increasing its intensity until it settled to its original form.

The energy produced was a cool, white light, pure and devoid of imperfections. It emitted a feeling of reassurance, of sympathy, of unconditional love that could turn even the most heartless person into a person of love.

"I...time...to fight...for now...in preparation for...is to come...tragedy...at all cost..." A scrambled voice echoed from inside the spark, like a tape recorder playing a broken record.

"...must...for the inevitable...leave no quarter...forge bonds...must stand united..." The voice's strength started weakening, the effort consuming too much of the energy it has accumulated.

"...Lord Commander...have to train...in danger...you must..." And the voice disappeared, leaving only the spark as proof of its existence,

[][][][][]

5