Chapter 71 – Deckard’s Successor
89 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back in New Tristram, outside of Cain’s house.

Cain is telling Shang and the group about the next task. Haedrig and Mira are standing on one side while listening.

Shang: So we need to look for the crown that is in the tomb of Haedrig’s grandfather who once serve King Leoric as his Chancellor?

Cain: Yes, With the crown, we can bind the spirit onto his corpse and end his reign once and for all.

Shang: And Haedrig will be the one reforging the crown?

Cain: That’s correct.

Shang: But wasn’t Leoric’s Crown forged by Griswold? Haedrig might have problems fixing another work of someone else.

Griswold is the blacksmith who forged King Leoric’s sword and crown. He is also the blacksmith that sells weapons and armors to the heroes of the first Diablo game.

Haedrig: He’s right. It’s someone else’s work.

Cain: No worries. Haedrig will learn what he needs to know. The most important is the crown. Without the crown, King Leoric will stand in your way to prevent all of you from investigating the fallen star. Rest well, benefactors.

Shang and the group are about to go when Cain stops them.

Cain: Wait. Shang, Please come with me. There is something I need to speak to you.

Shang: Okay, go on ahead, guys. I will catch up with you guys later.

The group members nod and leaves for Slaughtered Calf Inn.

Haedrig gives Mira a kiss on cheek before following Cain.

Shang follows Cain and Haedrig into Cain’s House.

Upon entering the house, Shang sees that the house is messier than he thought. There are books piling up like mounds, turning the entrance area into a sea of mountains.

Shang: Cain, I think you really need to clean up.

Cain: It has been months since I left the house and stayed in the cathedral. I will clean up but important things come first.

As Cain searches, Haedrig and Shang helps to move books away so that Cain could find what he wants.

Cain: There you go.

Cain takes out a tied up bundle from a pile of books.

Cain hands it over to Haedrig and says.

Cain: This bundle contains the notes of Griswold. Giving this to you makes you the successor of his legacy.

Haedrig: What!?

Haedrig nearly drops the bundle when he hears what Cain has said.

Haedrig has heard the tales of Griswold who is the pride of old Tristram and had won the praises from King Leoric himself. Becoming his successor is quite shocking and stressful for him.

Haedrig: Deckard, I don’t think I can succeed him. Even if I do, the blacksmith guild would not accept me as his successor.

Haedrig stress out to Cain.

Griswold indeed has high reputation as he won many contests within the guild. The guild will not accept a rookie blacksmith like Haedrig to be Griswold’s successor.

Cain: Do not fret about it. You only need to learn how to fix the crown. You may keep quiet about the succession till you are certain you have mastered his skills.

Haedrig: But...

Haedrig tries to return the bundle but Cain rejects it.

Cain: Do not reject it. You are the only hope in New Tristram for defeating the Skeleton King. Do you want Mira to die because of your lack of determination?

Haedrig shuddered at the thought of Mira dying in front of him and leaves Cain’s house with heavy sighing.

Shang: Do you really have to force Haedrig to succeed Griswold?

Shang speaks after watching the scene between Haedrig and Cain.

Cain: I don’t have a choice...and you don’t have one either.

Cain says as he looks at the entrance where Haedrig has left the door open.

Shang: Huh?

Cain: I had actually hoped Leah would succeed me but I fear the worst might come for her.

Cain then looks at Shang.

Cain: But you said something that changed my mind.

Shang: Me? What did I say?

Cain: Waypoints. The devices which magic Horadrim has long forgotten.

Shang: What about them?

Cain: Who will activate them for the heroes if I am not around? Leah is still weak at Horadric knowledge. Even if I taught the heroes about the Horadric knowledge, how much can they remember when they are more focused on combat?

Shang’s thoughts: Wouldn’t that job falls on Tyrael?

Cain: But you are different. From what I have seen and what I hear from Leah, you are a jack of all trades.

Shang’s thoughts: But a master of none. I can’t say I cheated using the system, can I?

Cain: That is the reason, Shang. I am officially making you my successor.

Shang: EH!?

3