HSA: The Inseparable 3 [Part A]
333 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

There was light everywhere. Bright, warm, piercing light and Hinata endeavored to keep it at bay for a few more precious minutes. She wanted to hide, just a few more minutes. But the glare was too strong, and she finally succumbed to wakefulness.

A glorious Konohagakure morning greeted the young kunoichi — sunshine pouring through the windows and flooding the room with too-bright light. With that first flicker of consciousness, she felt the violent protesting of her tummy for food. Sex tend to have that effect, she had come to realize. Suddenly, the memory of Naruto tore through her mind: the delicious pleasure and sensuality, and then his sad departure — truly a bittersweet combination.

The princess groaned gloomily and rolled over onto her side to face her bedside table, light penetrating her closed lids. Slowly, reluctantly, she opened her eyes, blinking rapidly until her vision came into focus.

Her alarm clock depicted 6:30am — she slept in; waking thirty minutes later than usual. She always slept in whenever she and Naruto engaged in the "naughty". Hinata cupped the sides of her face and blushed at the thought. Then she spied light reflecting off glass beside her bedside lamp.

Curiosity swamped her.

By extension, Chibi-G was curious, too. Right away, the lewd deity ceased browsing through the dirty magazine resting on the armrest of her favorite love seat, each page illustrating various snapshots taken from the couple's many passionate sex-adventures. What is it? What're you looking at? Did Naruto-kun leave us something?

Hinata's eyes widened. Applause!

The princess sat upright in her excitement, reaching for the small cube of glass within which, in mint condition, was embedded a pallid lavender rose. A smile tugged at her lips as her heart and mind resonated to evoke that memory — she and Naruto were at the festival in Fuugetsu, watching the fireworks when he placed the rose in her hair. He told her it complemented her eyes perfectly.

Hinata beamed at the beautifully preserved parting gift, as if Naruto had given her a bouquet of prize-winning roses. But, behind the influx of glee and appreciation, was a churning sea of grief, worry, and loneliness. Where exactly had her golden knight gone? When would he be coming back? And this method with which to control the Kyuubi — was it safe?

Her eyes wandered as the questions formed in her mind. Suddenly, an unfamiliar bed-buddy appeared in her field of vision. For a moment, Hinata thought it was another stuffed animal she hadn't recalled getting at the festival in Fuugetsu. Or perhaps it was another recent parting gift from Naruto, along with the preserved rose. But that assumption immediately went out the window when the plushy began to move.

Wide-eyed, flustered, the princess found the sheets and pulled it up to her nose in a cute defense mechanism. As small as a baby Akamaru, her unexpected guest pushed its small frame up off the bed onto its four tiny legs. Hinata swallowed in her curiosity, slowly lowering the sheets as she scanned for malicious intent.

The creature held a close resemblance to a fox — sporting sleek, saffron fur that seemed to glow in the warm morning's light. Its eyes were big and beautiful — a liquid crimson gaze that seemingly whispered to her heart in a subconscious and sublime connection, politely asking for recognition and companionship. Politely asking to be understood, forgiven, held.

What Hinata found most fascinating and curious was the fox's nine tails. They were bushy and majestic — but it also spoke to the fact that this was not your typical animal. Was it perhaps a summoning, and to whom did it belong? Did its presence tell of an impending threat?

As if to dismiss her pessimistic thoughts, the small canine stood on its hind legs and tentatively licked her cheek. It swayed its nine tails in a friendly manner, its big, bright eyes deep and enchanting — mysterious, like Uzumaki Naruto's own oceanic gaze.

"Are you feeling lonely, too?" Hinata asked with a wanly smile, stroking the fox's head gently. Its ears sagged cutely in response, eyes closed in obvious delight.

Despite its tiny size and charming disposition, the critter reminded her of the Kyuubi. Had Naruto already gained control and somehow induced some kind of miraculous change in the creature? This couldn't be the same fearsome Nine-Tail Demon Fox that terrorized the village a few years ago, could it? Impossible!

Withdrawing from the gentle weight of her palm, the tiny canine proceeded to the pillow on the other side of the bed and stuck its head underneath it — a clear indicator to the curious princess. "Is there something under my pillow?"

She gasped, lifting the fluffy cloud to reveal a book. On its cover, printed in black, was the title: Tails of a Gusty Ninja. He remembered...

Hinata felt her heart swell as she hugged the book against her chest. There was a bittersweet import of emotions, but still she clung to her fiancé's most treasured possession, tempted to read it before she rose from bed. But she was already running thirty minutes late into her morning routine; indulgence would have to wait.

Resting both parting gifts on her bedside table, Hinata veered her attention to her new and rather mysterious friend, who sat looking up at her quietly. "I have to take a shower now. Will you be good and wait here until I'm through? You…," she reiterated slowly, her mind processing a seemingly pressing matter. "Now that won't do, will it? We need to find you a suitable name. Of course, I would ask what your name is, but you can't speak... can you?"

The fox's eyes changed.

"Mmm..." the princess pressed an index finger to her chin cutely, looking upward with a frown as she deliberated an appropriate appellation. Suddenly, she beamed and heaved an open smile. "Since you remind me of the Kyuubi, how about I call you B-kun?"

The tiny Bijuu cocked its head to the side and Hinata giggled playfully. "I'm not very good at coming up with names. I will try again in the afternoon but, right now, I have to freshen up for breakfast before Neji-niisan scolds me again. You wait here, kay."

With angelic grace, the princess fished the necessary resources from her drawer and quickly scooted into the bathroom. The Kyuubi allowed his facial expression to soften. As simple and somewhat uncreative as the given name was, he liked and appreciated it.

He allowed a crooked grin.

Now that he was without darkness and the presence of the human he adored was no longer present, the exuberant tailed beast had ample time to examine his surroundings. So much time had passed — decades, centuries, perhaps a millennium. He didn't care to remember. But, now that he wasn't blinded by the rage and the hate associated with his original form, he was able to view this realm in a new light.

He didn't know the world to be so beautiful, so divine. Hinata existed in this wondrous world; this is where she was reared — nurtured and molded into the unique individual that she is; the individual with whom he was fond.

Walking to the foot of the bed — the mattress and quilt plush beneath his paws — the Kyuubi watched his reflection in the mirror of the dresser. When was the last time he had seen his reflection? When was the last time he was free and his wrath was not seething, clouding his conscience? There was so much to feel when he had no negative attachments.

The Bijuu sighed, pushing the chain of thoughts from his mind.

Pivoting his head to the side, he continued assessing the furnishings and overall layout of his goddess' private chambers. He had never been in a human's household before. Everything was so intricate and convenient. There was so much he didn't understand — everything tugged at his attention, peaking his curiosity. It bothered him not being able to ask questions when this world was so big and, its human societies, intriguing!

It wasn't long before Hinata was out of the bathroom, garbed in her customary attire, her skin smooth and freshly scented. The Kyuubi watched in fascination as she sat in front of the mirror, pleading with her hair to surrender and yield to her will. Then, she was bustling about frantically to make her bed and tidy her already tidy room.

Finished, she blew out a sigh and swept away the non-existent sweat from her forehead. "That ought to do it — and just in time, too!" Her smile was radiant. "B-kun…," she found the fox's curious eyes. "For now... I think it's best I keep you a secret from my father. So, would you mind staying here, until I'm through with breakfast?"

His expression unchanging, the complacent canine leaped from the dresser onto the bed and made himself comfortable on her pillow.

"C-Could it be that B-kun understands me?"

He ignored her, and Her Majesty's excitement gradually faded. Disappointment touched her lips and gleamed in her eyes, but she gently smoothed her hand across his head, over his ears, before turning to take her leave. "Be good while I'm gone. I'll bring you back something yummy to eat."

The Kyuubi's ears perked up at the mention of food. But he kept his eyes closed, his head resting quite comfortably on crossed legs. A single eye opened to study the girl as she left the room, her brilliant aura, her brilliant flair, lingering in her wake.

"The Kyuubi, too... the Kyuubi must be suffering."

He allowed his muscles to sag as Hinata's words replayed in his mind. Indeed her words fazed him; touched him — but words are cheap, especially those of a human. However, what if she did spoke the truth — what if she genuinely cared? What if she could offer him a fraction of the understanding and affection he, a tailed beast, received from the old man?

This is what he was here for: to justify the truth of her words and to test her conviction. Did she really want to meet him — the incarnate of all that was evil? Soon, whether or not she expected it, all would be revealed in time.


A Treasure Worth Protecting


Are you sure about adopting B-kun?That's what Hinata's inner goddess anxiously inquired and yet, with each helping of her salted-salmon, the princess felt guilty about gorging while her guest was alone and probably famished from roaming the village.

Needless to say, there were no deliberations to be had; she was certain she wanted her new friend to stay by her side. Although their acquaintance was short, she could feel the comfort and strange sense of familiarity that emanated from the canine. It reminded her of Naruto on some spiritual and visceral level.

Meanwhile Hiashi was entirely engrossed in his carrot-based breakfast, Hanabi was busy shooting her sister surreptitious gazes, concerned as she was aware of Naruto's abrupt depart. Would Hinata be all right? As curious as the teenager was, she did well to keep her questions in check, preferably until their father was on the opposite side of the estate.

Kuwashima smiled warmly as Hinata entered the kitchen with a stack of saucers and bowls in tow, a careful haste in her strides. Quickly, carefully, the woman took the used crockery from the princess's small hands. "Thank you, sweetheart."

"You're welcome." Hinata replied politely, returning a smile as wholeheartedly as she could possibly manage.

Just before she could turn on her heels to fetch the remaining utensils from the table, Kuwashima took her hand and presented her with a lunch box containing food to tie her over throughout the training she had decided to undergo in the next hour.

"This lunch is specifically made to give you lots of energy, so be sure to give it your all in your training. There's something special that you wish to protect, isn't that right?"

Hinata could feel her eyes widen at the woman's question. And she inclined her head meekly, looking down at the lunch box neatly wrapped in cloth with a perfect bow at the top.

"I'll retrieve the rest of the dishes on the table and handle things here in the kitchen. Why don't you go ahead and prepare yourself for what your day has in stored?"

"H-Hn!" Hinata nodded. "Thank you very much."

The woman smiled and rubbed the girl's upper-arm affectionately before making her way into the dining room. But the princess couldn't go on her way just yet; she had a hungry friend to attend to — and she wasn't just about to break her promise. It would have been a bad first impression.

Without delay, she fished a frying pan from the cupboard, placed it above a moderate flame, and then poured in a measure of oil before bustling about to fetch the appropriate garnishes for her grant endeavor.

What would B-kun want to eat, Hinata considered calmly. I thought you got the oil going because you had already figured that part out, her inner goddess scoffed. The princess ignored the overfamiliar hostility. Foxes are carnivores, right... which means that any form of meat should suffice.

Grabbing strips and cutlets of ham, beef, pork, and chicken from the fridge, Hinata sets out to please her furry friend. And, as her excitement grew, she eventually fetched an entire fish, squid, and a bag of rice to boot.

"Sweetheart…?" Kuwashima uttered questioningly upon reentering the kitchen, looking around curiously before meeting the girl's eyes anew.

Hinata couldn't quite find her tongue, and she averted her eyes coyly. She was so excited to see B-kun's expression to her specialized lunch box that she didn't stop to think that Kuwashima would demand an explanation. An explanation as to why more food needed to be prepared — what with the hefty load she was already given.

"Umm, etto..." she began fiddling with her fingers.

"Oh, Hinata honey... you shouldn't make a habit of using food to console herself; it's not healthy."

Hinata's eyes popped open in alarm. Did she know that Naruto had left the village? "No, that's not it," the princess opted to clarify. "I might end up staying out later than initially planned, so I decided to make something more, just in case. And Kiba-kun could be joining me, too."

"Oh." Enlightened, Kuwashima placed the crockery in the sink. "In that case, why don't you allow me to take care of that while you finish up your preparations for today?"

A light hum in her throat, the princess slowly shook her head in denial, the fringes of her bang swaying in the sudden motion. "It helps when I keep myself preoccupied like this. I'll take care of the dishes, too."

The woman gave a wanly smile and inched closer to stroke the girl's hair compassionately. "I'm sure he's thinking of you, too," was all that she said, and then she was gone.

Hinata's eyes followed her and, even when the woman was no longer in sight, the princess gazed unseeingly out into the empty dining room. Suddenly, her eyes went alight with recollection and she quickly turned the flame down beneath the frying pan and tucked her hand into her pocket, to retrieve her engagement ring.

A somber blue, warm purple, and fierce orange resonated together in the sacred crystal, which Hinata surmised as Naruto missing her, desiring her and, at the same time, was doing something extremely exhausting — training, maybe? Or perhaps he was in some sort of moral danger?

Her heart eased into a spasm of palpitations, and she inspected the stone carefully, searching for blemishes that would have indicated he was wounded. But there were no signs of any cracking, only the vibrant mixture of colors that illuminated her wedding band.

Blowing out a sigh of relief, she looked to her overheating frying pan sulking as of neglect and continued with the feast for her adorable friend.

Time pressed on in that disjointed fashion she still hadn't gotten used to. Listening to her inner goddess and subconscious tend to do that, especially when they were engaged in a brawl.

Once the food was finished and neatly placed in a sectionalized lunch box, Hinata attended to the dishes, and then made her way back to her room.

The fluffy canine was sleeping soundly next to a stuffed Pikachu, complacency evident upon his neatly cut face. He slept so peacefully that she felt bad about waking him. But staying home was not an option — she wouldn't, couldn't give her mind the opportunity to consistently think about him. Thinking about her loneliness and the fact that he was putting himself in harm's way for everyone's sake... for her sake, only added fuel to her grief.

"B-kun..." she smoothed her hand over his head gently and, even in his sleep, the Bijuu's ears sagged cutely in response. He opened his eyes. "I'm very sorry for taking so long, and for waking you."

As if to indicate that all was well, the tiny canine pushed to his feet and shook his body, effortlessly brushing off her apology and bringing back his saffron fur to a perfect luster.

Hinata smiled warmly, admiring the fox's adorable flair. Then she placed the picnic basket on the bed before him and raised a hand to her mouth, illustrating her imminent whisper. The curious Bijuu quickly inched closer and sat. "Until we're off the estate, I suggest hiding in the basket."

The canine frowned, so slightly that the princess thought she imagined it. "My father's very curious, and I'd rather avoid the commotion." Now the fox's eyes gleamed with enlightenment, and Hinata at least took notice of that. "You... You understand me, don't you?" Palm up, she rested her hand on the bed before her mysterious new friend. "Paw," she instructed enthusiastically.

The far-too-proud deity looked to her hand and then to her eyes anew. His expression was still cool and collected, seemingly uninterested. But, beyond the "Kyuubi-etiquette", beyond the perfect decorum befitting the Bijuu bestowed with the most number of tails, was a rush of thoughts and temptation that was restrained with the will of a hundred years. He would not yield.

"Well," Hinata almost sighed. "Let's get going..."

The tailed beast could note the slight twinkle of disappointment that played in her eyes, and she tried futilely to bite back the glum smile. He pretended he didn't see and climbed into the basket, once she had hoist the lid for him.

"I'm sorry about this… but you won't have to hide for very long. I promise."

Quickly, furtively, Hinata made her way through the house. From the open courtyard, she stared up at the lofty vista of Konoha's skyline, and then to the stone statues. There was a sudden gust of wind as she admired her broken home, and the princess expertly combed tresses of hair back into place — and, for those persistent locks, behind her ear.

One day, Naruto's face would also be carved into that mountain face. Whether it was as the sixth or the seventh Hokage, he would eventually get his turn — and his governorship would be monumental. He would be the one to revolutionize the shinobi world. He had to... he promised her — and Naruto wasn't one to dishonor his promises, no matter the difficulties, no matter the adversity.

"Sister!" Hanabi called, leaping down from a neighboring tree beside the surprised Hyūga.

Hinata turned to face her. Was she lay waiting her in that tree? What exactly was her baby sister up to this time? "Ha-Hanabi... I thought you left after breakfast?"

"No, I ended up going back to my room to change and couldn't decide what to wear." She sighed and blew upward at wisps of hair sitting on her forehead. "Boys have it so easy."

The elder princess scratched embarrassingly at the bead of sweat that sat at her temple, and then heaved an awkward smile. Hanabi was sporting a gray, sleeveless vest over a tube top — and cutely cupping her waist was a far-too-short pleated skirt, adorned with a belt and a bow at either side. Pulled up to her thighs were white, silky stockings, which complemented her arm warmers and the long, blue scarf around her neck that was almost identical to the one that Konohamaru always wears.

She looked... well, amazing! Konohamaru was about to have his mind blown. Again. But, for a moment, Hinata had to wonder if it were ideal to have so many ornate designs to her outfit rather than the necessary protective gears to shield against and mitigate injury. For one, she wasn't wearing a chainmail vest. In any case, Hanabi was not to be underestimated. Hiashi Hyūga didn't invest all these years raising a naïve and irresponsible shinobi.

"You look great, Hanabi... really..."

The girl's eyes flashed open in utter delight, and she took a hold of her sister's hand with both of her own. "Y-You really think so?"

"Of course!" She nodded and, despite aiming for nonchalance, both Hanabi and the Kyuubi could note the dejected tone to her voice.

Reeling in her excitement, Hanabi took a step back and her smile faded. "The reason why I was waiting is because I heard from Konohamaru-kun that Naruto-oniichan left the village on a super important mission. Umm," she veered her eyes away, just for a moment. "...how are holding up?"

Hinata didn't hesitate, nor did she stutter. "I'm fine; there's no need to worry." Her smile still wasn't impressive, nor remotely close to being reassuring.

"Erm, are you sure?"

"Naruto-kun gave me his word; he promised he would return — and Naruto-kun always keeps his promises!" Always... "Has Konohamaru-kun spoken as if he's worried about Naruto-kun? He knows as well as I that—"

"Naruto-oniichan's well-being isn't what I'm worried about," Hanabi interjected. "He's a more than capable shinobi — besting father in taijutsu is proof enough. You're the one I'm truly worried about."

Hinata gasped in her surprise.

"Before Konohamaru-kun, I didn't know what this type of love was like. If he were to ever go someplace very far away, I know I wouldn't be able to endure it very well, especially if his journey was going to be more dangerous than usual."

Our lonely snugglie-wugglie struggled to keep her guard up, but the foundations were slowly slipping away as a grief-stricken heart dawned in her chest.

Hanabi understood now, if only just a little. The love and affection one gave and derived from family and friends was of a different flavor and potency than the one related to that "special" someone. Ever since Naruto left, Hinata's world had been rendered black and white; there was no color; the sphere of her world had grown cold and mundane. Every fiber and cell of her being was starved and needing him — and to think only a single day had gone by.

In addition, the reality that she had no clue as to when he would return kept hope far away from her reach, leaving her stranded beneath a dreary sky of loneliness. But the princess would persevere; she had to. There were no other paths to take. She would patiently await his return, owning her skills as she did, so that she could stand by his side throughout the treacherous roads that lie ahead along his difficult journey.

"I'm fine," Hinata declared once more, but with more conviction than the last.

Hanabi surrendered reluctantly, but offered her to join Konohamaru and herself in their sparring session. Perhaps companionship would ease her pain, if only just a tad.

"Thanks, but no thanks," Hinata refused with a smile. "I appreciate the offer but I'm actually going out to do a little private training of my own."

Hanabi returned her smile. "Naruto-oniichan will be fine, you'll see."


"I know he will…"

Lying comfortably beneath the shade of a tree, relishing his freedom and the scenery, the Kyuubi watched Hinata meditating out in the open field. They had traveled far out to the outskirts of Konoha within the confines of a lush valley that was apparently Hinata's private training ground.

The world around them was picturesque — vast and bountiful in its unaltered splendor. There were warm, vibrant colors all around, animated greenery and wild life, and a soothing breeze that carried around a profusion of lovely aromas. There were so many different sounds, as well, the most distinct being the warble of birds situated throughout the dense forestry.

The Bijuu couldn't get enough; the contrast between this realm and the dark prison within which he was sealed was far too great. It was hard to believe that the evil part of him could readily destroy and sully such enchanting perfection — the amazing world that homed the human female they found intriguing.

Hinata paused for a moment, her moves weak and sluggish beneath the weight of her pondering and grief, her eyes a mixture of emotions that was a most unsavory blend.

Whether or not the Kyuubi was the incarnation of evil, a natural disaster, a deity known for its malicious deeds, the creature had a conscience — and he knew Hinata was hurting. Being the positive embodiment of the Nine-Tailed Fox, he couldn't push away her trauma.

Aside from old man Rikudo, this woman was the only other human he cared for. She was beautiful, kind, sincere, and clumsy — an endearing spirit who hated fighting and violence. Her love and affection did not discriminate, and he felt an innate desire to protect such a rare and exquisite creature — but there was only so much that brute force and overwhelming strength could resolve. Hinata needed company; emotional support — a role the Kyuubi was uncertain he could or was meant to play. It was better this way; his presence was all that he could offer in her time of loneliness... nothing more. And so, he continued to watch her.

Under the unmerciful UV rays of the ever-vigilant sun, the princess carried on with her training regimen. Swamped with heat and sweat, she allowed herself to drown in the bittersweet sensation of exhaustion, burning muscles, and growth. All that mattered was transcending her limitations to achieve a new pinnacle of power — and her desperate endeavor did well to keep the grief and loneliness at bay... to some extent.

"HHA!" She exclaimed simultaneously to a firm and powerful forward thrust. Sweat flicked from the fringes of her bang and dripped from her chin. "HHAA!" She drove the other hand forward.

May 2nd

Weather: Partly cloudy

Naruto-kun... how are you? Umm. I've decided to keep a dairy until the day I see you again. I'm not sure why, but I just really felt like it. Is that strange?

She smiled, throwing another palm forward.

There's absolutely no need for you to worry; I'm doing fine, and I hope that Naruto-kun is just the same. I miss you, but I promise that I'm OK. Focus on what you need to do. I know you will keep your promise.

It has only been a few hours since you left the village, but I wonder where your journey has taken you so far. Are you traveling by land or by sea, I wonder. In either case, the sun is so HOT! Maybe I should have given you an umbrella before you left. Oh, and I would have made you a bento, too. Did you pack enough clothes for your journey, and did you remember to bring your toothbrush? Did you bring mosquito repellent? Oh, and what about a first-aid kit? Oh, no... what will Naruto-kun do if it rains?

She paused with an outstretched arm and a worrisome expression, but then she heaved a sigh followed by a short smile.

Etto... please forgive me; I overreacted. Naruto-kun has been on many missions before, so I'm sure he will be fine. Plus, Yamato-sensei is accompanying you also, right?

Oh, that's right! I saw the rose along with the book you left in my room. Thank you so much! I'm glad you remembered! I'm so happy! I've already decided to read it on a rainy day; that's only the best time to read, wouldn't you agree?

The princess giggled, and then veered her attention in the direction that her fluffy friend was resting, his nine tails a constant memory in her mind.

By the way, Naruto-kun... when I woke up this morning, there was a small fox lying next to me on my bed. I was surprised when I noticed that it has nine tails! Is it related to you, in some way? Maybe a new summoning contract?

Oh, but if it's not, there's no need for Naruto-kun to worry; B-kun is very friendly and CUTE! Do you think it's the Kyuubi? But that doesn't make any sense, does it? In any case, there's no need to worry... I will be careful. Promise.

Repeatedly, Hinata drove her arms forward with a determined cry, one and then the other. Right. Left, then right again. Once, twice, three times, over and over — vigorously, sequentially. Until, finally, the princess surrendered to her human limitations before she could succumb to heatstroke or dehydration. While it was imperative that she become stronger, a wise warrior knew well to never stray too far over the line. Knowing when to take a break and rest was also a part of the equation to excel.

"How about we have our lunches now," Hinata attempted another smile, now sitting on her heels beneath the heavenly shade of the tree beside her tiny companion.

The Kyuubi pushed to his feet as she reached inside the hamper to retrieve a rectangular lunch box, which she gently placed before him. Keeping his cool visage in check, the tiny deity marveled at the food through the transparent cover, waiting patiently for it to be properly presented and offered to him.

How many decades, if ever, had it been since he ate human-made food? While he didn't particularly share their interest in the creative presentation of their cuisine, he had to say he was fairly impressed and, his appetite, stirred by Hinata's gourmet lunch box.

Fried squid and pork. Roasted fish. Barbecued chicken. Grilled beef. Baked ham. Rice — the Kyuubi was happy to be alive! He didn't know where to start, and he beamed as he relished the coaxing smell of the impressive compilation.

Nipping curiously on a piece of roasted potato, Hinata watched avidly as the canine guided his nose toward the food — like a baby about to take its first steps — further indulging his sense of smell before tentatively sampling the barbecue. He stood frozen as unfamiliar flavors exploded on his tongue, sparking those carnivorous nerve-endings that were a part of his beastly design, stirring receptors that had long since been dormant.

Amazing! The food was beyond amazing, and the Bijuu kept eating — gorging frantically as if he was given a limited time to eat before the precious assortment of meat was forever taken away, along with the delightful taste that had eluded him for far too long.

With each bite, the deity felt his adore elevating. Hinata Hyūga was becoming more of a goddess, if that was even possible. She was the ideal human female, and she made him feel more alive than even the days he was free to roam the earth. And a silent oath rose in his subconsciousness.

He would always protect this woman; the female was too much of a treasure to be lost in the pathetic and meaningless squabble of the human race — and he would personally see to it that her existence was prolonged. He knew his act of charity was born of selfishness, but he didn't care. As long as she was alive and happy and he could bask in her company, then that was all that mattered.

Hinata chuckled, already having as much as she could manage. "Well, someone especially enjoys barbecue chicken," she teased playfully, watching as the fox started on another cutlet. "Have as much as you would like; there's plenty more in the picnic basket — and be sure to eat your veggies, too."

The complacent Bijuu grinned inwardly. He felt a weird sense of delight and belonging when Hinata demanded the same thing she did of Naruto. Some irrational rush of heady excitement gushed through him, but he bit back the string of words that were intent on rolling off his tongue.

Suddenly, the girl's warm countenance changed, and she was standing tall, gazing with open alarm at something far off in the distance. It was smoke… rising up from the forested mountain range a few miles east of the village. Oh, no — it was clearly a signal for help! Then again, it could have also been a trap. But, what if it wasn't and someone was genuinely in need of assistance? A moment's hesitation could possibly determine whether this person lived or died.

Without second-guessing herself, the princess apologized and quickly gathered up the food and supplies, swiftly taking off with her fluffy friend in tow. Making her way to the foothills, she became one with the thick forest, following the dark tower of smoke to its source.


SOS — Baby Alert!


"Back! G-Get back!" A man barked in a fit of panic, desperately trying to keep a wild boar at bay with a flimsy length of stick.

But the creature was persistent and it could smell the man's fear, its beady eyes feral as it sought to defend its prized territory. Likewise, the man was bent on standing his ground and protecting his wife, who stood less than a few feet away behind him.

Just outside the dark mouth of a cave, the pregnant woman was busy over a raging fire with a length of material, using an ancient method to send out smoke signals for help. She wore a strained expression, obviously exhausted and flustered, worried to death about her husband's well-being — but she knew that she had an important job to do. Therefore, despite the pain and trepidation, she kept her head down, fixated on the importance of her given duty.

Finally, the slender thread that tethered the boar's patience snapped and, it reared its head with evident hostility, gearing for a lethal charge. Just before the creature lunged forward, however, Hinata leaped from the canopy of the trees and drove the frenzied beast away with a measured Air Palm.

"Are you okay?" She asked once the animal had scurried off into the dense forestry.

Relieved, the man's knees buckled and he fell back onto his behind, the unimpressive length of stick falling from his hand. But, before his heart could stop pounding, before his knees could stop trembling, he pushed to his feet once more and hurried over to the aid of his wife.

"Masaki!" He was breathless, coiling one arm around her waist, the other securing her arm around his neck. "I'm sorry for making you strain yourself. Everything will be alright now."

The woman couldn't find her tongue; remnants of smoke from the flames filled her lungs, and she was beyond fatigued. Her face was pale and shiny with sweat, an awkward arch in her back as her husband led her over to a flat granite rock to sit.

"I-I don't know how to thank you," the man finally began, pivoting his head around to greet the young kunoichi. For a moment, he was startled by the tiny fox sprawled out atop the girl's head, but then was reassured by the symbol of the leaf engraved on her forehead protector.

Hinata shook her head, her lips pressed to a thin line. "That's okay. I'm just really glad I was able to make it on time. Would you mind telling me—"

The woman let out a stifled scream and then pursed her lips in a show of endurance, writhing, whimpering, short, neat nails sinking into her husband's defenseless shoulder. "I think… I think it's time!"

The man felt as the color drained from his face, the hard clutch of his wife's fingers driving a pain into his nerves that was almost as potent as the one she was experiencing. Then, he was lost. "I-It's too soon! Wait just a bit longer; we're almost at the village!"

"Tell that to the baby!" The woman retorted in a fit of pain, ragged breaths whistling through the O of her lips.

"What should I do?"

"Do something!" She snapped hotly, throwing back her head as she struggled to breathe.

Both Hinata and the Kyuubi watched in silence as the couple struggled for composure and resolve. At this rate, the chances of their bearing a healthy baby were slim to none. Worst-case scenario, both mother and child perished in the complicated process.

But Hinata wasn't about to stand by and bear witness to such tragedy, not when there was possibly something she could do, no matter how small, no matter how insignificant. For the sake of the child she desired to bring forth of her own — the child she could not conceive due to circumstances... the princess would strive to ensure that this woman had a safe and successful delivery.

"I'm a certified Medical-nin," she announced so they could hear. "I'll do what I can to help!"

A Medical-nin? No, the couple heard "a miracle" — one that presented itself with that impeccable timing all miracles supposedly shared, and they looked to the young Hyūga in both respect and expectation, their eyes wide and pleading.

"What should I do?" The man was asking Hinata now.

The Kyuubi leaped from atop the girl's head as she approached the perturbed couple, looking around to study the immediate environment. "First, we need somewhere ideal to have her lay down."

"We have a tent set up inside the cave; she can use the futon."

Hinata nodded, and then aided the man in bringing his wife inside as quickly and as carefully as possible. The tunnel extended a few meters into the side of the mountain. And no sooner were they engulfed in the pitch-black darkness than they were illuminated by an impressive bonfire.

Outside, the Bijuu was exercising precaution as he approached the mouth of the dark abyss. Hinata and the others were in so much of a hurry that they didn't notice the eerie condition of the loose earth and boulders jutting out from the mountain, just above the cave's entrance.

But what were the odds? In any case, the Kyuubi didn't feel comfortable entering dark and confine spaces. Sixteen years imprisoned inside a puny Jinchuuriki was enough to traumatize even the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox. Regardless, he summoned the courage, crossed the threshold, and proceeded into the black night of the cave, determined to follow Hinata wherever she had decided to trod.

Outside the tent — while the man was busy inside resting his wife to lie down on their makeshift bed — Hinata lowered her picnic basket to the ground, doing a quick scan of the surrounding area to satisfy the curiosity of a wary ninja.

To the far left of the cave, she saw a bed of hay and immediately knew why the boar was so adamant to reclaim itself territory. It was a female, and this was probably where it had decided to bear its young.

The princess felt a sting of conflicting emotions.

"She's in a lot of pain!" The man exclaimed upon existing the tent, his eyes wide with worry and hurt.

"Calm down," Hinata urged, careful to keep her own anxiety in check. This was, after all, the first time she would be delivering a child. All she had in her arsenal was the knowledge — there was no practical experience to fortify her skill. "Listen, do you have any clean towels?"

"Y-Yes! There's an open knapsack on the ground beside her — there are plenty of fresh towels inside."

"Okay good," Hinata returned, inching toward the opening of the tent. "Next, we're going to need some warm water."

"There's a creek not far outside the cave; I'll get some water boiling right away." He darted toward the exit, rocketing passed the paranoid canine.

The Kyuubi reversed onto his hind legs when Hinata entered the tent, this development weighing heavily on his mind, stirring emotions that were devoid of hate and malice.

Meanwhile, the Hyūga princess sat on her heels after retrieving a washcloth from the open bag, lightly tapping the woman's forehead as she twisted and turned under the weight of her contractions, covered in sweat. "Everything is going to be alright, Masaki-san," she reassured softly. "When your husband brings the water, we'll get started."

The woman moaned behind her clenched teeth, clasping the sheets beneath her, her eyes tightly closed as she struggled in her motherly ideal.

Hinata watched nervously, breaking out into a sweat herself, though her facial expression was guarded. "Masaki-san... can you guess how far apart are your contractions?"

"This is it!" The woman enlightened in a rasping tone. "This will be my second child, so I know very well that I am in labor!"

Hinata gasped, incapable of speech.

"Wh-What's your name?" The woman's voice was softer now.

"...Hi-Hinata desu."

"Hinata...," she placed an attentive hand over hers. "You'll do just fine; just believe in yourself. I believe in you." She offered a smile through the incessant prick of labor pains.

The princess pursed her lips, feeling as that warm gesture settled deep, finding a special place to grow and evolve in her heart. Her eyes gleamed in appreciation and adore, an open smile stretching her lips now as that emotion induced a swell of confidence and determination in her.

"Hai!" She nodded jubilantly. "Let's give birth to a healthy little baby!"

"I'm counting on you!"

Just then, the man slowly entered the tent with a basin of warm water, looking down at his restless wife as though the woman was at death's door. The moment he rests the container down, he offered a word of affection and then turned on his heels to make his escape.

Hinata was shocked. She thought he would have stayed and held his wife's hand, giving her moral support as she gave birth to their child. But—

"It's fine," Masaki said, winning the girl's attention. "If he stayed, he would need more support than I do. He's very faint-hearted, but he's a very good man — that's why I married him."

She squirmed and panted as another wave of contractions arrested her famished body — a wave that was far more potent than the last. Without a word, Hinata dug into the knapsack to fetch the towels so that she could begin delivering the impatient child, repositioning the lantern to better illuminate her workspace.

Outside, next to the large bonfire, the man joined the Kyuubi on the ground as they both awaited the successful conclusion of Hinata's endeavor.

For a split second, the canine's eyes widened when it noticed him, and then hooded to refresh that customary decorum of pure, cool nonchalance. The man was an utter wreck, hugging his knees and teary-eyed, as if trying to prevent himself from falling apart. The Bijuu's evil counterpart would have probably assaulted with how weak and pathetic the vermin was — but this, the lighter part of his entity — knew that it was much deeper than that.

While the man was evidently lacking in backbone, it was the state of his wife why he was in such shambles. He obviously cared deeply for the female, and her frustration and torment was slowly eating away at him in turn. Indeed. What kind of man who was truthfully committed to his wife calmly watches as she writhes in such pain, knowing that he could not ease or relinquish it?

The pensive deity frowned a tad, the sudden quirk of his forehead hidden by the flickering shadows cast by the fire. Naze? Why would human females opt to conceive children when it was so painful and life-threatening? He could not understand it, no matter how much he tried to wrap his mind around the idea.

Loud screams echoed from the tent, and the man's body went taut as they reverberated in his aching heart. The Kyuubi, on the other hand, was unfazed, and he gazed unseeingly at the brightly lit tent. That other woman inside, the one he was fond of, was also interested in bearing an offspring of her own. Would she, in time, make him understand why this was so important to her? Why gamble away his freedom for the sake of a desire he could not comprehend?

Silently — with the exception of an occasional sob on the man's part — both males waited patiently while the delivery prolonged, blasted every now and then with screams and snappy remarks by an overwhelmed mother. They watched as the women's shadows played on the material of the tent, the atmosphere charged with a thick and unnerving energy. Time went by sluggishly — seconds slowly crawled into minutes, then an hour. Two. Three. Four hours, then, finally, the sound of a wailing baby filled the air, dismissing the tension a tad.

Almost automatically, a relieved father pushed to his feet, his once glum demeanor shifting all at once to joy. He dashed toward the opening of the tent, waiting impatiently to be granted access, jogging in place to burn off that excessive excitement.

A minute later, Hinata stepped outside with a sigh to give the man room to enter. She greeted him with a nod and a smile, and he beamed in return before hastily slipping inside.

The princess then did a quick sweep of the immediate area, the features of her face brightening when she spied her furry friend. "You, too," she prompted, calling the small canine with a beck of her hand.

His face lit up, too; she hadn't forgotten about him.


Inside the small makeshift shelter, a pale and disheveled Masaki was sitting upright against her husband, who sat attentively on his heels behind her. All eyes were fixed on the tiny baby girl wrapped in a towel and secured in her mother's protective arms, nestled gently against her bosom.

Masaki heaved a wanly smile, looking down at her newborn child. "…If only Himachi were still alive to see his little baby sister."

The man shared her sentiments — the happiness and the grief. "He was always good with kids, even from a young age."

"Yes... he wanted to have a baby of his own one day, but he was always so preoccupied that he couldn't even find himself a nice girlfriend."

The man grinned. "He got that workaholic trait from you."

They both giggled together.

"Hinata..." the woman finally veered her eyes away from her resting child, a gleam of maternal affection still dwelling within those dark brown depths. "A simple 'thank you' can't begin to express how grateful I am to you. But, regardless, I'll say it anyway: thank you so very much!"

The man smiled in agreement.

"One day, like you, baby Amayo will grow up to return the favor to another soul that's in dire need. And I'm sure you'll be blessed for your generous deed this day."

The princess blushed. "I'm just happy I was able to help. And thanks to the smoke signal you created, I was able to find you both."

The Kyuubi's eyes widened in a modicum of enlightenment. Aside from the prolonging of the human kind — on a more personal note — it would seem babies were partly conceived and raised to carry on the will and happiness of their parents... of their family, on a whole.

He could feel the affection floating on the air, so thick he could almost taste it. Everyone watched the baby with a soft sheen in their eyes, every movement of her tiny fingers and shift of her head was a breathtaking miracle to be savored. The infant was so small and helpless, endearingly so — a delicate creature that would seemingly shatter under the weight of the slightest of touch.

The Kyuubi was in awe, and he slowly swiveled his head around to look up at Hinata. This divine beauty and fragility that silently demanded protection… although the levels were miles apart, it was the same manner of allure that Hinata radiated. Now he understood; now he could understand why women would risk their very lives to bear an offspring, and surely, there were other reasons, as well.

Suddenly, the princess's expression changed from glee and adore to sadness. As she stared — caught in a spell of contemplation — her eyes glazed, broadcasting those imminent tears. "Excuse me," she squeaked, quickly making her way outside.

Surprised, the man and woman exchanged a addled gaze.

With an almost inaudible sniff, Hinata wiped away the trace of tears that smeared her flushed cheeks, and then turned around to face her worried friend. "I'm fine," she attempted a wholehearted smile. "I'm sorry if I worried you."

The Bijuu's eyes were calm, but beyond the exterior of his cool countenance, was a flurry of thoughts. Would this far-too-lovely goddess coax him into wagering his freedom — all just to grant onto her one amongst her most heartfelt desire?

She stooped down to pick him up, and then turned to look in the direction of the cave's exit. The path was much darker than when they first entered. It was late, and she figured it was about time they made their leave. The couple should be fine on their own now.

However, just before Her Majesty to could turn on her heels, to notify the couple and help them along their way — should they have required it — there was a sudden upheaval, a tremor that shook the very foundations beneath her feet. The explosive sound of falling boulders and ripping earth echoed off the walls of the cave in a eerie manner. Then, what the Kyuubi most feared transpired right before their very eyes: a landslide.

A thick wall of seemingly impenetrable rocks and earth sealed off the small stream of light that once made its way into the cave. Would this dreary cavern now serve as their permanent tomb? Will baby Amayo be prevented from ever seeing the light of day or smelling the fresh aroma of spring? Find out next time on — oh, wait... you'll be finding out now.

The Kyuubi sported a nasty poker face for a moment. It was precisely moments like this he wished he could speak without issue. Now the situation had taken a turn for the worse and he was once more imprisoned, after less than a day of attaining his freedom.

"Oh, no," Hinata exclaimed, appalled, quickly setting the critter down. "Is this some sort of ambush?" She activated her Byakugan and scanned the outer perimeter of the cave, extending her field of vision bit farther, in case the assailant was making their escape. However, there was no one in her range of sight.

"What's happening?" Masaki's husband came to investigate, on both his and his wife's behave.

The princess cast him a brief glance and then ambled over to the thick wall. The Kyuubi didn't like the idea of her approaching that death trap, but he kept his lips sealed, geared for a preemptive rescue, if necessary.

Walking next to the blockade, Hinata skimmed her fingertips across the surface of a boulder almost completely encased in the tightly compacted earth. The structure almost seemed like a barricade constructed of brick and cement, almost too convenient to be natural.

Turning to retrace her steps, the disconcerted Hyūga looked to the ceiling, surveying the fissures and the sharp, jagged rocks that extended downward. "I-I don't think my Rasengan is stable enough to break through this wall. And—" they followed her eyes to the roof — "I wouldn't want to risk a cave-in and my attempt fails in the end."

"Rasengan? Cave-in?" The man panicked in his obliviousness. "What's going on here? Why is the exit blocked?"

"Umm. Etto...," She gesticulated at him.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We haven't been properly introduced, have we? My name is Takuyama."

"Takuyama-san… it's nice to meet you."

"The pleasure's all mine," he smiled. "And I would like to thank you for earlier. You not only saved my hide from that wild boar, but you also helped my wife to have our child and they are both in good health. I really can't thank you enough."

"I'm just really happy I was able to make it to you both on time," she returned modestly.

The Kyuubi reclined onto his hind legs, nine majestic tails hovering far above the ground. These people... they were complete strangers and yet she was so readily kind toward them — a rare trait within this unpredictable and chaotic world.

Shinobi were usually wise to assume the worst-case scenario about the most seemingly legit of situations, for the sake of their own likelihood. However, this woman was far from being cynical. She was cheerful, optimistic, and trusting; her personality was radiant and inviting. But he couldn't help but wonder if that kind and gentle personality was truly a good thing, especially in light of the upcoming war.

It didn't matter. This was her true nature, the one with which he was... obsessed — and he would he strive to prolong its longevity. Nothing would ever extinguish the warm light this woman emanated, not while he was free to roam.

"How troublesome... so this is the aftermath of a landslide?" Takuyama confirmed.

"Hai," the princess nodded grimly. "Maybe it was the shock wave from Pain's attack on the village that in turn led to this landslide." She pressed an index finger to her lip, deliberating. "But maybe the distance is much too great for that to be possible."

"Did you just say that Lord Pain attacked the village?" The man was astounded.

"Lord Pain? Takuyama-san… what do you mean by that?"

The man blanched. "Well, I, ah…."

"It would seem we have a lot to discuss," Hinata said, scooping up her furry friend. "Let's return to Masaki-san for the time being; we will search for a way out in the morning, when the sun is back out."

"Okay, good idea."


"Oh, my — the exit was blocked off by a landslide?" Masaki uttered in an undertone so that she wouldn't disturb her slumbering child, her dark brown eyes glum. "What will we do, darling?"

"There's no need to worry, honey," the man reassured. "We'll figure something out in the morning, when we have more light to work with."

The woman looked to Hinata, who nodded in agreement, and then she heaved a somewhat wanly smile before looking down at her daughter.

The princess sat on her heels with a quiet Bijuu resting on her lap, making herself comfortable for the topic she was about to initiate. "Etto... is it alright if I ask where you both are from?"

The couple shared a brief gaze, nodding in agreement. Then the man turned to face Hinata. "We're both originally from Amegakure."

Hinata's eyes widened a tad. "Amegakure?"

"Mmm." Takuyama nodded. "But, when Lord Pain killed Hanzō and assumed leadership of the village a few years ago, we made a desperate move to migrate to Konohagakure."

"Why did you decide to move?"

"Pain killed everyone that was affiliated with Hanzō — and all those shinobi who were reluctant to relinquish his ideology and principles were also killed without mercy.

We all knew how Hanzō was: he truly sought peace, but eventually adopted a twisted and unrefined means of doing so, which resulted in betrayal and unsavory deaths to make ends meet. Conversely, we know so little about Lord Pain. We know he's strong enough to defeat Hanzō, but his true ambitions are shrouded in mystery — and that makes the people anxious."

"It's true," Masaki added. "People were gradually conforming, from fear to reverence, until they began regarding him as 'Lord Pain'. They worshiped him."

Takuyama sighed. "But the main reason why we left is because our family business was being affected by Lord Pain's power."

Hinata was sympathetic and even more curious."How so?"

"Masaki and I ran a small farm that was constantly being affected by his technique."

"What kind of technique was it?"

"He could make it rain." The man could still remember the wet and dreary environment. "It was constantly raining in Amegakure. It is said that Lord Pain could feel and hear anything that the rain touched. That's how he could always tell if a spy had infiltrated the village."

The princess was appalled, even more so when she looked to a grief-stricken Masaki. The woman blinked back her tears. "Our crops were always waterlogged and the perpetual overcast prevented them from getting any sunlight. The wild stock couldn't endure the weather, either. And the chickens would drown whenever the coop flooded."

Hinata frowned dejectedly, a tad of anger sizzling beneath the gloom. "I'm so sorry to hear that, but that's all behind you now, isn't?"

"Yes," Takuyama continued, noting that his wife was struggling with her emotions. "We lead a far better life in Konoha thanks to Tsunade-sama's graciousness."

Hinata allowed a small smile. "If that is the case, then why are you both all the way out here, especially with your wife so far along in her pregnancy?"

The couple's faces went glum at her question, and the princess knew she had possibly trod into a forbidden zone. Abruptly, she apologized, but Takuyama fanned his hand dismissively. "It's fine.

"H-Hn," she nodded.

"We went to Amegakure about two months ago after receiving word that, Himachi, our son, was fatally wounded with only a short time to live. Not long after he... passed away, there was a sudden upheaval in the village that threw the shinobi on edge. And, as a result, the gatekeepers responsible for security hardened their defenses and refused to let people in or out of the village.

Before things could completely settle down again, there was sudden word that Lord Pain had been killed on the battlefield, with Lady Angel quickly assuming the position as leader to prevent unnecessary panic. But that didn't quite stop the civil wars that had begun breaking out all throughout the village, resulting in more outbreaks that threw the village into complete chaos."

Masaki pursed her lips for as moment. "Instead of staying and finding shelter from the constant fighting and killing, we decided to take our chances and flee the village so that I could have our child in a more ideal environment with proper care. It's a miracle that we even came this far without any encounters!"

For a moment, Hinata couldn't find her tongue; couldn't find the right words to say. But she quickly shook off her shock and offered her condolences in regards to their deceased son. However, before she could weave the right words in her head, to express her sorry for the world of difficulty they were put through, Masaki interjected with a warm smile.

"All that matters is that we're still okay, and that I was able to have a healthy baby girl, thanks in part to you. Besides, it may have only been a few years, but I feel like Konoha is our true home."

The man nodded in agreement.

Instead of apologizing, for something long passed that couldn't be erased from history, the princess went ahead and told them about Pain's devastating attack on the village and how many lives were lost before Uzumaki Naruto single-handed addressed the issue.

Takuyama sighed in astonishment. "To think that the almighty and mysterious Lord Pain would have such a sudden change of heart."

"You spoke so passionately about this Uzumaki Naruto," Masaki pointed out to Hinata's embarrassment. "Do you like him?"

The princess's cheeks turned beet red, and she began smoothing her hand over the Bijuu's head nervously. "...Na-Naruto-kun is actually my fiancé."

"Oh my," Masaki was astonished. "You have the village's hero all to yourself? You're both lucky to have found one another; you're a beautiful and wonderful person, Hinata."

"Th-Thank you." The blush spread to her ears. But all the Kyuubi cared about was the nostalgic delight that washed over him by her patting his head. How was she doing this to him? What manner of sorcery had she mastered to conjure such bliss?

"So, Konoha is currently under reconstruction, you said?"

Hinata looked to Takuyama with a smile. "Hai. We have help from neighboring countries, as well, so reconstruction is going faster than expected. The project is almost finished, in fact."

"That's great!" He cheered. "Hopefully, we can make it back by tomorrow."

"Yes," Masaki agreed, almost on a whisper. "There is so much work that needs to be done… since little Amayo is finally with us now."

The final set of words left her lips on a weak breath, and her head fell back against her husband's chest, dark shadows of distress beneath her eyes. Takuyama felt a deep dread unfurling in his stomach, his wife's name a constant chant upon his lips. Then he turned to Hinata, demanding an explanation as the princess attended to the woman in agony.

"Takuyama-san, you should take the baby."

"Okay!" He did what he was told, watching as the young kunoichi slowly reclined his wife onto the futon before probing her body with her palm, running a careful diagnostic with her therapeutic-chakra.

"Aside from a bit of blood loss, she's extremely exhausted and famished." Hinata stood and ambled over to the exit of the tent. "When was the last time you guys ate or had water?"

Takuyama could feel a sharp prick of incompetence and guilt plaguing his poor heart. "We ran out of provisions two days ago, and we haven't had a drink of water since we stopped here — given that we were attacked by that wild boar."

Subsequent to urging the man not to blame himself for what happened, Hinata rationed the rest of her lunch between them. Masaki was hand-fed and given every ounce of water available before being put to bed. Then, Takuyama had his share along with some tea while Hinata held the baby.

The Hyūga princess couldn't suppress the wistful thoughts that invaded her mind as she held the tiny angel, slowly rocking from side-to-side, her crystalline eyes gleaming with a mixture of bittersweet emotions — and the Kyuubi watched her avidly, always avidly.

"I can tell that you love children," the man said softly as she carefully relinquished his sleeping daughter.

Hinata nodded, her smile enigmatic.

"You'll make a wonderful mother someday," he complimented sweetly, holding the baby close.

"Thank you. Takuyama-san should get some rest, as well. Tomorrow we will need to focus on getting out of this cave."

"You're right. Thanks again for everything you've done..."

"You're welcome." She beamed and then left the tent.

Outside, Hinata found a suitable surface upon which to spread her picnic blanket, the light flickering from the nearby bonfire almost gone.

Once the curious canine joined her, she reached into her hamper and retrieved a container containing a few cutlets of barbecue and a single rice ball. "I'm sorry, B-kun, but this is all we have left. You should have it, and I'll pure some tea from the urn for you."

The Kyuubi looked to the container and then to her, a tad surprised by her act of selflessness. Surely, she was also famished and exhausted, not only by all she had done this evening but also due to the intense training she did earlier on in the day.

So why sustain such a kindhearted nature and morality, even in such desperation? He was just a lone fox that popped up in her room one day — why show him such compassion? Why make such a great sacrifice... for a mere beast?

The Bijuu cocked his head to the side prevaricatively and, using his paw, pushed the container back in her general direction.

Hinata beamed through her surprise. "You do understand me, don't you?"

The Kyuubi kept his head to the side, eyes closed in a cool visage.

"You don't need to say anything," she smiled, her voice small and sincere. "I'm just happy that I'm not alone."

The ancient deity felt the veracity of her words resonate with the enigmatic sea of his heart. Then, he lightly opened one eye to find four cutlets of barbecue before him and a rice ball cut in half, evenly shared between the both of them.

The princess grinned, almost as crooked as Naruto's. "I want you to eat, too... so let's share."

Finally — unable to deny her wish — the Kyuubi surrendered to her offer and they both ate together in the light of the dwindling flame before retiring for the night.


By after twelve, the once impressive bonfire had die down to a weak smolder, leaving the princess vulnerable to the frigid midnight draft.

The Nine-Tailed Fox was wide awake, watching her, some unfamiliar part of him hating to see such refined beauty helpless against the unmercifully hard and cold ground. She had curled herself into a ball, her already snow-white skin rendered a tad more pale, teeth chattering behind hardened lips.

Her flickering eyelids finally opened, and her gaze focused on the canine lying next to her. "B-B-kun," she swallowed, moistening her throat. "I...I'm sorry I got you involved in this." Her words came out slow and jagged, and then tears rippled from her eyes. "Y-You must be hungry and cold. If you decide to stay with me, after we get through this, I promise to make you lots of yummy food."

As she heaved a wanly smile, the Kyuubi felt his heart slam uncharacteristically against his chest and his once unbreakable composure shattered into a million pieces at his feet. He couldn't comprehend the level of this woman's selflessness, but it was potent and true. And he felt obligated to protect her from the hazards of the world… and her own selflessness.

Uncharacteristically — always uncharacteristically when it came to her — the disconcerted Bijuu licked the salty liquid from her nose, as if silently forging a personal oath.

The princess's smile widened, and she pulled the sympathetic canine close against her bosom. "I'll keep you warm," she whispered, conceding to exhaustion once more.

And I'll protect you, the Kyuubi vowed mentally, closing his eyes to meditate.

Slowly, meticulously, warily, the tiny deity reached inside himself, digging deep beyond levels of consciousness and layers of psychic barriers until, finally, reaching the bottomless sea of his destructive pyrokinetic power. Holding fast to but a threadbare of this fiery power, the Bijuu carefully withdrew without triggering an irreversible eruption.

His body was suddenly suffused with a warm and perpetual heat, which permeated throughout the cavern, filling the cave and enclosing the couple and their newborn child in comfortable cocoon of warmth. In time, color returned to Hinata's body and her shivering ceased. With an endearing hum in her throat and a cute smile, she unconsciously snuggled closer to the source of the heat — to an embarrassed deity.


Arrival — Konohagakure Finally in View!


A few minutes before dusk — while everyone were still asleep — the Kyuubi faced the massive wall wrought of earth and rock that blocked the exit. It was difficult to concentrate with his body still charged with the delight of Hinata's loving embrace. But, for her sake and the others, he shook off the reverie and squarely faced the obstacle.

Indeed the princess was strong and competent but he preferred not to leave the task of clearing the path in her capable hands. Considering the extent to which she trained the previous day and the fact that she hadn't gotten adequate rest or nourishment, her body wasn't completely rejuvenated.

In addition, for the sake of illumination and keeping warm, the bonfire was left lit, which consumed most of the limited supply of oxygen in the cave. It was going to be difficult to breathe in the next few hours — and exerting the body would make that sooner than later; it would be too much of a gamble to leave it up to the humans to break the wall.

Closing his eyes, meditating, the Kyuubi dug deep again, stretching beyond another avenue of psychic barriers to a more placid and manageable power. There was a sudden pulsation as he clasped what he sought, and his body changed, contorted, grew, in the concealing blackness of the cave.

Once the large mass that was his body had finally stabilized, the creature gathered a large clump of chakra in his belly and abruptly fired off a beam from his mouth, effortlessly shattering the wall in a great explosion. Debris flew off in every direction and a blanket of thick dust merged with the darkness, drifting outside into the early morning's dew.

The strident sound jarred everyone awake from their slumber and, as soon as baby Amayo's eyes snapped open, she dove into a fit of wailing. Hinata, on the other hand, quickly shook off her drowsiness and slipped into her ninja-etiquette, darting into the receding cloud of dust as her eyes adjusted to the poor lighting.

Approaching the mouth of the cave, she saw an opaque silhouette in the darkness but upon approaching the curious figure — her guard up — she saw a small, helpless fox looking up as astonished as she was. "B-B-kun," her eyelids fluttered as she peered out into the open plain. "D-Did you do this?"

The Bijuu made no signs or effort to respond.

"Th-The wall's GONE!" Takuyama exclaimed as he broke through the sheet of suffocating smoke. "Hinata — you did it!" He shook her hand effusively, giving her no chance to reply. "I'll go and tell Masaki right away!"

And he was gone, leaving the princess with her mouth open. Hinata allowed her arms to fall to her sides, knowing very well that she had a mystery on her hands. However, something told her it wouldn't be solved this day. And Scooby and the gang wasn't there to help.

After explaining to Takuyama and Masaki that she had nothing to do with the clearance of the path, they waited patiently until the dust cleared before making their way outside. And, as soon as everyone had their fill of water and baby Amayo was nursed to contentment with her mother's milk, Hinata accompanied them on their journey back to the village.

The couple was shocked beyond words upon witnessing the massive crater left behind by Pain's attack. They could only imagine the amount of people who perished in the assault, and the thought of screams, panic, and distraught rose in their mind. The chaos must have been the same as what they experienced in Amegakure. But that was all behind them now; there was no use lamenting on the past. Although, they would have loved if their son could have had a proper burial, preferable in Konoha.

With the Kyuubi secured in her hamper, Hinata ventured along with the happy couple through the market place, helping Takuyama with the groceries they bought to restock their pantry and prepare breakfast.

Their small home was in a rural region of the village — a relatively remote area where they had enough space to grow crops and raise their wild stock. The two-bedroom house was quaint and cozy, its cedar wood furniture of foreign origin and design. Hinata especially admired the tapestries depicting picturesque mountain ranges, valleys, rivers, and forestry — everything naturalistic.

Unfortunately, she had to decline their warm offer to dine with them — a token of their utmost gratitude for all she had done. As much as the princess wanted to stay and help them around the house, it had been an entire day since she was gone. Surely, her father, sister, Kuwashima, and Neji were worried sick. It was best she went home to quell their worries before they gathered a search party. She couldn't bear the thought of being a nuisance.

With the promise of one day returning to accept their gratitude and to visit baby Amayo, Hinata took her leave, waving back at the couple that saw her off by the front door.


Hinata & B-kun Goes Shopping


When Hinata arrived at the estate and made her way into the courtyard, she saw her father by the pond. The man's frame was taut in his smoldering distress, his voice robust as he gave Satoshi explicit instructions to meet with a member of the Inuzuka clan, in hopes that a team could be put together to track down her daughter's whereabouts.

"Father!" Hinata scurried across the expanse of the courtyard to greet him, her eyes apologetic and meek.

Upon hearing her call, Hanabi and Kuwashima scooted onto the porch. And the princess politely apologized with a bow before quickly launching into a summary of what took place from the previous day. Deeming her plight worthy of an excuse, Hiashi demanded that the girl freshened up and joined him for breakfast — with that, he would fully condone her sincere apology.

Once Satoshi had dismissed himself and the Head Master ambled back inside the mansion, Hinata took Hanabi and Kuwashima aside and introduced them to her furry friend. The Kyuubi was alarmed by her decision in this but was reassured in a soft whisper that they could be trusted.

He wouldn't doubt her, not at this stage.

"This is B-kun." Hinata pushed back the lid of the hamper for them to see. Hanabi sighed in awe and excitement. "Kuwashima... I know he looks a lot like the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox, but I'm not sure about the legitimacy of that. B-kun is very gentle and sweet."

The woman smiled with a motherly radiance that the Bijuu couldn't ignore. "Hinata, sweetheart... you have always been a good judge of character, so I will confide in what you believe. Besides—" she stooped down and found that magical spot beneath the canine's chin with her fingers— "whether or not this is the real Kyuubi, what he was in the past has nothing to do with what he chooses to be in the future."

The tiny deity felt that warm, uncharacteristic movement of his heart again, partly due to the import of delight from the woman's gentle caress. Just who were these people, and why were they so... different? Why didn't they opt to use and destroy him? Why didn't they scorn him?

"Aww! He's so cute!" Hanabi beamed, lightly smoothing her palm along the fox's small frame and down to his nine tails. "And look at this plush tail!"

Embarrassed, the Bijuu cocked his head evasively to the side, eyes closed as he struggled to maintain composure. He couldn't help but wonder if the older woman spoke the truth also. What if they knew his identity — would their impression of him change in any way? Would he be scorned, then?

"Aww! Look at that," Hanabi chuckled. "He's blushing!"

Hinata and Kuwashima giggled lightly, the merry sounding adding a deeper hue to the canine's blush. This was something he would have never gotten used to, whether he was the embodiment of good or evil. He pouted.

"So, how did you both meet?" Hanabi was still admiring the majestic nine tails.

"Etto... I woke up and found him next to me on my bed yesterday. I'm not sure if Naruto-kun maybe had something to do with it, before he left."

"Well, whatever the case may be," Kuwashima began. "I promise to look after him… so long's he keeps your company." She smiled.

The princess heaved a V of a smile, her eyes bright and jovial. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome, sweetie."

"You can sleep with me whenever you'd like B-kun!" Hanabi offered in her thrill, looking forward to it. "I almost have as much teddy bears as my sister does! We're going to have so much FUN!"

After listing the foods that the tiny canine especially liked, Hinata gingerly made her way to her room to have a bath, as instructed. Then she joined her family at the table for breakfast meanwhile Kuwashima took the liberty of bringing the Kyuubi his custom-made breakfast.

For a moment, the deity hesitated before what he was offered but then remembered the reassuring whisper that Hinata spoke to him. The first bite was all it took to dispel the full of his anxiety, and then he began gorging himself frantically, making up for all he had missed throughout the course of yesterday.

Hinata was doing the same.

After eating to her fill, the princess informed everyone that she would be taking the day off from her routine training regimen. Her father and Kuwashima agreed — in light of what happened the previous day, perhaps some rest and relaxation would do her well.


Garbed in a cardigan and a not-too-fancy dress (that's what she thought) along with a sightseeing B-kun poking his head out of her handbag, Hinata happily took to the busy streets of their recovering metropolis, to buy some products for her new furry friend.

The Kyuubi's eyes were wide as he surveyed the fascinating sceneries, most of which were still under heavy reconstruction. Despite the recent disaster that shook the village to its core and the inevitable war that lurked ahead, many people were walking by and about in the streets with warm expressions, some conversing with others.

Women and men wore slightly different garbs, he eventually realized — there were subtle deviations in their interesting design. The Bijuu had never paid such attention to detail before, not in regards to fashion.

He had so many questions.

Suddenly, his nose twitched as something delightful coaxed his olfactory receptors. Wafting on the wind was a myriad of different aromas; he could barely identify any of them. But he did note that familiar smell that barbecue emanated — and he almost salivated in response.

Was it lunchtime yet?

Hinata giggled softly when she spied his excited animation, and the deity's tongue found its way outside his mouth in an uncharacteristic pant as they were about to pass the shop serving what he craved.

"Oi, young lady," the shop owner called upon noting the canine's open enthusiasm toward his excellent cuisine. "Your little friend here knows quality barbecue when he smells it! Here's a sample; a token of my appreciation!"

The culinary genius held a perfectly prepared cutlet of barbecue before the fox's nose, teasing, suffocating him with a blast of the heady scent. The Bijuu looked to Hinata for permission, beaming with glee when she nodded with a great big smile. And then, almost immediately, he tilted his head back and opened his mouth, happily accepting the man's kind offer. He chewed passionately, relishing the unfamiliar and delicious blend of seasonings and sauces that defined the chef's unique recipe.

The man hugged his chest and grinned with evident triumph. "It's always a pleasure to serve those who can tell good quality with but a single whiff of the nose. And you're no exception, little guy."

"Thanks, Mister," the princess said, moving on with an appreciative smile.

"No problem! Be sure to come by again; there will always be free samples for you and your friend!"

Sauntering into a familiar store, Hinata gracefully ambled by the jostling patrons to the aisle that held all the bathroom fixtures and supplies. There, unmonitored and alone, she allowed the canine to sniff the fragrance of the various brands of shampoo available in stock.

"Choose which one you like," she informed with a smile.

The princess giggled as the Bijuu frowned scathingly at the first few samples. Then, finally, he allowed his tail to sway in appeal as he sniffed a fruit-scented flavor called: Wild Berry.

Hinata flipped over the lid of the bottle so that she could take a brief whiff for herself. "Mmm... that does smell lovely," she said sweetly, casting the deity a glance.

Afterwards, in addition to the shampoo, she bought a toothbrush and subtle-flavored toothpaste, a few towels, a hairbrush, and a fancy-looking bowl and plate from which the canine would have his food. Without opposable thumbs, that made it difficult to eat from anything else.

The Kyuubi's inquisitiveness had already peaked by the Hinata made her way to the cashier. Sensing his harmless curiosity, she decided to prolong the cashing of her goods and take a detour, to show him around. There was so much to see.

May 3rd

Weather: Sunny

Naruto-kun, where have your journey taken you today?

I had my own little adventure, too — though, that might actually be putting it mildly. Yesterday, I met a couple in the mountains, on the outskirts of the village. In addition to running out of supplies and being exhausted, a wild boar was set on attacking them. Fortunately, I made it just in time to help.

As Hinata slowly strolled through each aisle, the Bijuu's eyes were wide and all over, assimilating all that he could. It was fascinating just how developed and highly complex human ingenuity had become. There were so many neatly packaged and processed foods, fruits, and other convenient resources, so many trinkets, equipment, and gadgets. The deity didn't know what majority of their uses were.

Hinata smiled in reminisce, gazing skyward.Before we could be properly acquainted, the man's wife went into labor. I was so nervous and scared but I couldn't let that by seen — since they were depending on my medical skills to assist them.

In the end, I delivered a healthy baby girl in a nearby cave where they had set up their tent. But, not long afterwards, there was a landslide, hopelessly trapping us inside.

The Kyuubi cringed when he saw the refrigerated broccoli through the transparent glass; he didn't need to be a human to know about the existence of such tremendous evil. But his spirits soared again once he laid eyes on the variety of creamy products in plastic containers. There was a large assortment of colors, and what little traces he could smell with his hypersensitive nose was divine.

"That's ice-cream," Hinata informed with mutual interest, and the deity almost repeated the word so that she could hear. "It's very yummy!" She continued with a smile, her cheeks brightening as she recalled the smooth, creamy texture and delightful taste. "We can have some for desert later."

The Kyuubi beamed uncharacteristically again.

Early in the morning, before anyone was awake, there was a loud explosion at the front of the cave that startled us half to death. When I got there I saw B-kun looking up at me and the blockage was gone without a trace, leaving only dust and rubble.

Do you suppose B-kun could have been the one responsible for destroying the wall? And, if not, then who else could it have been? We were in a remote area, and I didn't see anyone outside with my Byakugan.

Before heading back to the estate, Hinata paid an unexpected visit to Masaki and Takuyama at their small, suburban home. The couple was both happy and surprised and they didn't hesitate to shower the princess with "thank yous" for everything she had done.

Once their warm greeting was through, Hinata insisted on helping Masaki in the kitchen since the woman was reluctant to rest, despite recently having her child. Together, both women worked to create an amazing stew, and they all sat and ate together around the table.

The Kyuubi was able to try out his new bowl and plate. It really was convenient to gorge from them, instead. What'd you know!

Masaki and Takuyama took turns telling stories of moments long past, of how they first met, surrendering to the lovely whisper of reverie that made the couple look many years younger.

Blissful giggles and laugher echoed from the small house as their bond of friendship grew. It was amazing that baby Amayo could sleep through the entire racket, and she smiled a light smile — unconsciously bathing in the soft glow of positive energy that hung in the atmosphere, soothing the tiny miracle in her peaceful slumber.

B-kun really is a mystery, isn't he? But there's no reason to worry; I feel like he is some kind of guardian — watching over me, protecting me. He is very kind and gentle.

As for the couple: Masaki-san and Takuyama-san — they are both fine, and baby Amayo is doing well, too. She is very adorable! I feel sad and happy at the same time whenever I look at her... but mostly happy because I know that Naruto-kun will keep his promise.

Where are you now?

I miss you...

1