Hinata’s Sensual Adventure – The Chronicle’s End [Part A]
219 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Hermit's Apprentices – Hearts Converge!


Kabuto was sporting an ear-splitting grin when Zetsu popped his grotesque head out of the ground.

"Ehh? Looks like things are going well on the battlefield," the parasite said by means of introduction, noting the man's barely contained excitement.

"I've finally got the Kyūbi cornered," Kabuto mused darkly, looking down at the pebbles strategically placed on a piece of parchment depicting a map. "But what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be focusing on completely assimilating Hashirama's cells?"

Zetsu was busy moving around the poorly lit cavern, half his body buried beneath the hard ground as if he was treading water. "Tobi sent me to find out if you had properly disposed of the wood element user. He doesn't want to risk intel being leaked at this phase in his plans."

"I see his trust in me hasn't improved at all," Kabuto returned, his gaze unswerving as he meticulously controlled the piece that held Naruto's life by a thread. "Anyway, while I have gotten rid of that woman, Anko… I haven't disposed of Yamato just yet."

Zetsu waited for the man's excuse.

"I want to first ensure that there are no problems with your procedure."

"Fair enough," the fiend replied, even as he discreetly scanned the crude hideout until he spied the Jōnin imprisoned in a cramped cell at the back of the cave. "Just ensure he doesn't escape, or Tobi will be mad."

"I administered a powerful neurotoxin before the procedure, so he won't be regaining consciousness anytime soon."

Zetsu's grin tightened. "You must have a lot of faith in that drug, if you didn't even bound his arms and legs."

"Orochimaru-sama was a pioneer in pharmaceutical research," Kabuto asserted quietly, eyes still transfixed on his puppeteering. "That man will be unconscious for another few hours, at least. And, besides, there is only one exit from this cave."

"Whatever floats your boat, buddy," was all Kabuto heard before his parchment was suddenly skewered by an earthen spear.

Before he could snap his head around to assess the assailant, another spike shot up from the ground toward his throat. The conniving snake leapt back into a high somersault, then eased into a quick series of backflips as more deadly spikes threatened to penetrate his heels.

"What's the meaning of this?" Kabuto demanded hotly, skidding to a halt outside the mouth of the cavern.

His eyes adjusted in time to spy as the assailant dispelled his disguise as Zetsu. The clone of Naruto waved mockingly as he slowly retreated into the ground with an unconscious Yamato in tow.

"Na-Naruto-kun?" the man exhaled in disbelief, looking down at his forearm where a technique formula was once engraved. But he had entirely cut out that portion of skin and flesh before finding another hideout. So how did Naruto manage to locate him again – and so soon?

"Oh well," he allowed his shoulders to sag, a wide smile touching his reptilian eyes. "I'm almost certain I was able to succeed making the Zetsus stronger using Yamato's cells. So I don't need him anymore. In addition, he was unconscious the entire time he was in captivity, so he wouldn't know anything about our plans. Right now, I should prioritize finding another hideout and finishing off the real Naruto, before he manages to escape."


The Raikage gave an absent stare, eyes wide in shock. Between switching to autopilot from being manually controlled, the burly giant had stilled like a marionette who had its strings cut. That slight window of vulnerability was all it took for his fleeting existence to come to an abrupt end.

"Sorry we're late, boss," an ANBU agent said repentantly as the dust cleared, mirroring three other clones who had their swords penetrating the Raikage's chest through an old battle scar. "We were only just able to start sensing your chakra again."

Temari was flabbergasted, her expression reflecting that of the Raikage whose body had started grumbling like crystallized paper. But she wasted no time instructing the sealing squad to restrain the monster before he had the opportunity to start regenerating again.

Her quick response secured their victory, and the squadron howled in triumph. But Naruto and Hinata heard nothing beyond their own dejected heartbeats. Our Orange Knight allowed one final look at the bloodied patch of earth where Kurama took his final breath, and then he fell into the dark abyss of unconscious.

"You needn't worry," Akiko reassured compassionately, her astral form towering over her grief-stricken host. "He's just unconscious. With the unbelievable amount of pain he must have been enduring, I'm surprised he was able to attack that brute like he did."

Hinata's lips quivered at the thought.

She noted the unyielding lines of distraught underneath Naruto's eyes and wondered what her own face looked like. She still couldn't come to terms with the fact that Kurama was gone. Weeks of memories with the feisty canine flickered in her mind like a candle's flame exposed to a threating gale. And her heart swelled at the precious images.

But the princess knew it wasn't the time to grieve. Steeling her nerves, she looked to one of Naruto's clones tellingly, and then to Gaara's elder sister. "Temari-san… I'll leave the rest to you."

The woman's lips parted to pronounce the word "wait", but it ended up getting stuck in her throat, instead. She had so many questions — the first being how could they possibly be there right now. But, between owing her life to their presence and a comrade being slaughtered before their eyes, how could she possibly burden them any further?

Lowering her hand, Temari watched helplessly as one of the ANBU warriors crouched beside the Hyūga princess, an attentive hand upon her shoulder. Then, almost instantly, they were completely out of sight and sound. And the clones quickly followed suit.


Elsewhere — in the name of justice, peace, equality, and a list of other righteous traits that were a blatant lie, so long as he was free — Bee happily made his way unto the battlefield while his brother was distracted trying to restrain Naruto. Eventually, the rebellious Jinchūriki crossed paths with one amongst the sage's many clones and they paved their way deeper into the war together.

Unbeknownst to them, however, was the fact that two very capable Edo Tensei shinobi were dispatched to intercept and capture them.

"Uchiha Itachi and... Nagato?" Naruto exclaimed in disbelief, both him and his fellow Jinchūriki coming to a sudden halt.

"You know these guys, Naruto?" Bee was calm and on guard.

"…Yeah, both of them."

"Of all the people I could possibly have to fight... right, Naruto?" Nagato said in a dejected tone, Itachi supporting the weight of his decrepit body. "I'm sure time must have passed since our last meeting, but it feels like I've only just died."

Both Jinchūriki did well not to lose themselves in the civilized conversation, especially Naruto who could feel the unrelenting pull of sentimentality at the familiar sound of the man's voice. The fact of the matter was that these prominent relics of the past were being controlled by a sadistic snake. And they could become hostile at the drop of a hat.

"You've changed a little, Naruto," Nagato remarked, looking his apprentice over.

"Oh this?" he said modestly, regarding the brightly lit aura cloaking his body. "It's called Chakra Mode — it's a new form I got for learning how to control the Kyūbi's chakra."

"What?" Itachi was evidently surprised.

"I see. So that's why you look different." Nagato smiled warmly. "It's in your eyes."

Naruto clenched his fist with a smug grin, illustrating his unchanged determination since the last time they met.

"You're saying you can control the power of the Kyūbi?" Itachi was still in a state of disbelief. He knew of the creature being the epitome of evil. "You've grown more than I could have imagined."

"He's my master's junior student," Nagato explained with a smug smile of his own. "I expected nothing less."

"That's all thanks to me," Bee rapped, not missing the chance to flaunt his own greatness. "He's been walking in the footsteps of a prodigy."

Nagato's eyes hardened. "Then you have managed to conquer hatred?"

Naruto's smile was smooth, liquid crystal eyes portraying the spurt in growth his clones had brought him over the course of just a few weeks. "Yeah. From the pain you taught me as my brother in spirit, to Bee's training at the Waterfall of Truth... and even my mom and dad — it's thanks to all of you that I made it this far."

Nagato's smile touched the Rinnegan etched in his eyes. And Itachi couldn't help but think of his younger brother as the two shared a cosmetic moment.

His brows furrowed. "Naruto... there is something I must ask you."

The sage's own brows descended low above saffron eyes as he surmised what the man's question would be. "Now that you mention it, I wanted to talk to you, too."

Despite their mutual interest, the puppet master didn't hesitate to intervene. Perfectly tucked away inside his new hideout, the serpent but mused over the fact that he had managed to track down both the Hachibi and Kyūbi — and nothing delighted him more than adding both Jinchūriki to his arsenal. With a more favorable deck of cards, he knew even his comrade would be dancing in the palm of his hand. If he had any regrets, it would be the inability to see his expression sour behind that obnoxious mask of his.

Joining his fingers to form a seal, Kabuto molded his sinister chakra. The forbidden Edo Tensei technique heeded the man's command, traversing time and space to rob both Nagato and Itachi of their fleeting moment of freedom.

Both shinobi could feel the dark, invading power taking root. But decades of meditation and training was fruitless; they couldn't abolish the puppeteer's tightly wounded strings. And Itachi was the first to strike.

Fire Style: Great Fireball Technique!

Even as he continued supporting Nagato, Itachi summoned chakra in his gut and conjured a blazing ball of fire that cleaved the earth in an attempt to completely devour both Jinchūriki.

But simply brandishing his organic sword with a forward thrust was enough for Bee to effortlessly split the flames in two — though, Samehada was none too pleased about being lunged into the blistering inferno. And Itachi frowned, deducing that his former colleague, Kisame, must have already been mowed down during the course of the war.

Naruto mirrored the man's gaze. "We were still talking," he murmured high enough for his fellow Jinchūriki to hear.

"Looks like the puppet master's tired of gawking," Bee murmured back. "He doesn't care about timing. Get ready!"

The moment the words left his lips, Itachi was gone, his body dispersing into a cloud of smoke. Before Nagato's frantic warning could reach his ear, Naruto was looking up, nonchalance and battle-readiness radiating from his form.

Then, in the blink of an eye, he too was gone, meeting the notorious Uchiha midair in an echoing clash of brute strength.

Itachi followed up with a sweep of his hand, like a lethal blade. "What became of Sasuke?"

The Orange Knight watched as the man's lethal sword-like arm narrowly passed his face. "He wants to take revenge on Konoha!" he returned above the roar of their clashing energies. "He's even gone and joined Akatsuki."

Itachi's eyes shot open in abject shock. "Why won't he return to the village?"

Despite his body and mind being on entirely different wavelengths, the man launched into another quick series of attacks upon dropping to the ground. And Naruto guarded against the assaults, blow-for-blow, the confrontations leaving utter destruction in their wake.

"He got told about your secret mission," Naruto started to explain. "And decided to destroy the village!"

Itachi couldn't control his body, but he could still feel as his heart sunk to his toes, the Mangekyō Sharingan quivering in evident grief.

"Secret mission?" Nagato repeated to himself.

"It couldn't be... Madara?" Itachi pondered, even as he retreated when both Naruto and Bee attempted a pincer attack.

"Madara told me the truth about you, too," Naruto informed, his battle-ready stance never faltering.

"So that's it..."

"Then he was really telling the truth, after all," Naruto confirmed based on the man's reaction. "The Uchiha Clan was really planning to take over the village when—"

"That's enough, Naruto," Itachi interjected. He preferred not to dwell on the past when his choice hadn't gifted his brother even an ounce of happiness.

But Naruto ignored him. "You died pretending to be a villain in order to protect the village and Sasuke. I think he understands both your suffering and your resolve. But, never mind inheriting your will, he actually wants to destroy Konoha. It's a war of vengeance against the village that tormented his beloved brother."

The animated corpse of Edo Tensei frowned his frustration. Damn you, Madara! You knew me well, after all...

Itachi seemed somewhat relived; however, when he was reassured that, apart from Naruto, only Yamato and Kakashi knew the truth of the matter. And the Copycat Ninja preferred if word didn't get out about it. Itachi preferred it that way, as well, to preserve the honor of his fallen clan.

Before the Uchiha could follow up with a question, Nagato's eyes suddenly changed. In an instant, Naruto felt as the world slipped away from beneath his feet. Gravity had conceded to the beck and call of the godlike shinobi, pulling the Jinchūriki into a collision course with a giant boulder pulled from a nearby river.

But our golden knight wasn't your standard shinobi, either. Before he could meet with a tragic fate, a chakra-forged arm shot out from his cloak and latched onto the rock, allowing him to maneuver his body as he threw the boulder off course.

Nagato watched in relief as the capable shinobi skid to a halt atop the river's surface. Even more so when two frogs rose their heads up from the misty blue in a lightning fast summoning jutsu, launching a high-pressured jet of water that effortlessly sliced through the earth, like a hot knife through butter.

Naruto watched as both Edo Tensei warriors bailed for cover, his eyes narrowing to calculating slits. He wasn't just about to let his senior sully the sacrifice he just made to redeem himself. If it was the last thing he did, he would free the man from Kabuto's abusive grasp before he did any irreversible damage.

"I'll leave Sasuke to you," Itachi said, acknowledging Naruto's skills.

"He was always mine to deal with," Naruto returned coolly, a colossal water serpent's roar adding fuel to the solemn words.

"I knew I was right to entrust it to you," Itachi said on a low breath, the enigma behind his words putting Naruto even more on guard.

Bee watched as the Uchiha skillfully dispersed in a cloud of smoke as the water serpent's rampage met his motionless body. Nagato spawned a giant beast with one head short of a Cerberus-look-alike, as well as a matching size bird upon which he rode.

With a strike that rivaled the clap of thunder, the serpent sank its fangs into the mountainous canine, preventing its escape. And a coiling tail began enveloping the creature inside a watery prison, the epic struggle changing the geography around them.

PISSEWW!

A water projectile punched a gaping hole in the bird's wing. But it wasn't severe enough to down the alarmed creature, and Nagato mentally commanded it to retreat.

Naruto grinned devilishly, quickly giving chase.

It wasn't his intention to bring the bird down, but to distance Nagato from Cerberus. He knew the man could easily nullify his water-based technique, if he was within range. Though, Naruto was also aware he could just as easily revive the beast using the king of hell, should it perish. But it seemed Kabuto didn't know enough about the Sage of the Sixth Path's powers. Whatever the case, it was imperative he sealed the Edo Tensei warrior away before the puppet master could adapt and maximize the use of the godlike shinobi.

But Nagato wasn't about to make it easy.

"Fire Style: Red Giant!"

"Wind Release: Hurricane Breath!"

The sky tinted a dark red as a powerful cyclone supplemented a blazing orb that descend from the heavens, like a meteorite. Naruto watched in alarm as the vegetation around him wilted under the unmerciful heat of the falling sun. Summoning his power, the Orange Knight erected a transparent barrier into which the sphere collided with an ear-splitting hum.

And then it detonated.

All-consuming fire hurled in every direction, like a disaster of biblical proportions, rendering all that was green into ash. Even the river had been purged from existence.

In a heartbeat, both Jinchūriki were on the bird with the former Akatsuki leader, intent on downing the man in a pincer attack — Naruto with a Rasengan, Bee with a sword coated with the lightening element.

But the corpse was calm.

"Shinra Tensei!"

Effortlessly negating the laws of gravity, Nagato willed the natural forces to his whim. An invisible barrier threw both Jinchūriki back, like rag dolls, the ensuing blast wiping away the ashen forest and even the bedrock below.

Bee snapped his head around amidst his free fall, noting that the demigod had somehow closed the distance between them a microsecond after his destructive attack. "I ain't goin' down that easy, ya dumbass phony!"

In the next beat, the Jinchūriki was already in his Version-Two Form, an enlarged arm swinging at the man to no avail. But the succeeding Lariat attack connected, folding the bastard with satisfying effectiveness.

Regardless, Nagato didn't flinch, nor did he make a sound. His eyes were vacant and yet resolute as he mentally verbalized his counter technique.

"Gakido (Preta Path)!"

Capitalizing on another skill bestowed upon him by the Rinnegan, the godlike shinobi began absorbing the Bijuu's chakra through their physical contact courtesy the Lariat. The dark cloak fortifying Bee's body slowly began retracting — in return revitalizing the enemy's Edo Tensei body.

Nagato's hair gradually regained its dark red luster. His dry lips moistened. Color returned to his face and his emaciated body hardened into youthful steel.

"You sucking out my chakra?" Bee said with a calm that betrayed his face.

WHAMM!

Naruto suddenly appeared in Sage Mode — a Frog Fu backhand blasting the man away, like a stray bullet.

Stunned, Bee looked to the technique formula that momentarily made itself visible on his arm. Then to a nonchalant Naruto and, finally, Nagato who smashed into and bounced off ground, like a crash test dummy.

"We can't allow him to regain his power," Naruto warned urgently, even as he bummed fists with Bee to telepathically convey his senior's skill set and potential weaknesses.

Then, in the next moment, he was gone.

Time slowed.

As Naruto slipped from one teleportation portal into the next, he spied one of many tiny toads he had summoned to propagate his technique formula throughout the general area.

Nagato regained his footing in a greener part of the forest, extrasensory abilities acute as his junior closed the distance between them. But Naruto's senses in Sage Mode was far superior — and that confidence pushed him to confront his godlike adversary without hesitation.

"Water Style: Lions' Stampede!"

The forest trembled as an imposing pride of lions and lioness's barreled forward. The lofty tidal wave came crashing down with tremendous force, but the Sage of the Six Paths simply used the Gakido Gate to begin absorbing the threatening ninjutsu.

In the same beat, Naruto was behind him, gearing up for an attack while the man was evidently distracted.

"Shurado (Asura Path)!"

An extra mechanical arm, fashioned into a blade, sprouted from the man's shoulder as he snapped open another godly gate. It made an attempt at Naruto's neck, but the shinobi was able to evade the close shave through the danger-sensitive reflexes granted to him by Sage Mode.

In the next heartbeat, Naruto was in another blind spot, but Nagato wasn't having it. He used the natural forces in an attempt to blast away the nuisance, but the Orange Knight merely shifted to another teleportation gate to avoid any damage.

Trees and bedrock groaned in defiance as columns of absolute force tore through the land. But Naruto was persistent, eyes narrowing to saffron slits as his fist sunk into the puppet's gut, the man's body folding around the steely jab.

Kabuto was seconds away from bursting a blood vessel — and his invisible strings dug deeper into the helpless mannequin in his exasperation. Nagato's body was just a blur when he was forced to relocate. And Naruto's eyes followed, adjusting in time to see when the man summoned a pack of canines whose grotesque design didn't support the gift of sight. Instead, the feral creatures were adept at recognizing and locating heat signature — and Naruto assumed their motive as they dispersed and began scoring the vicinity.

"Are they after my jutsu?"

His question was clearly answered when razor sharp claws shredded through the spongy-like skin of a defenseless toad. The amphibian shrieked as it returned to Mt. Myōboku in a cloud of smoke, taking the technique formula with it that was written on cloth around its tiny body.

The ravenous hound followed up by going after the formula etched in a tree trunk. But Naruto was there — a clone dispatched at each canine, vanquishing them simultaneously with a lethal Rasengan. Then they turned the full force of their eyes onto the unremorseful Edo Tensei spawn, the sage-mode-garrison hurling toward the phantom like a pack of wolves.

"Bee!" Naruto called upon reappearing next to him. "Are you alright?"

"Naruto?" the Jinchūriki's face was as pale as a ghost for a second. "Wasn't that the Flying Thunder God technique the Fourth Hokage was notorious for?"

"More importantly," he began, his body hyperaware as his clones continued pressing the emotionless phantom. "Do you know any sealing techniques? There will be no end to this fight, if we don't find a way to seal Nagato and Itachi away!"

"Fire Style!"

Naruto and Bee's head snapped around.

"Pyronado Blades!"

Before the Jinchūriki could react, they were both enclosed inside a spiraling tornado made of shuriken and searing hot flames. The smoldering wind licked at their bodies like Ifrit's tongue, the blistering heat like Hade's breath. And the deadly twister was tightening in around them, threatening to tear and burn them to ashes.

"Bee!" Naruto called tellingly.

"Right!"

Without skipping a beat, the Jinchūriki transformed into Bijuu Mode with what little chakra Nagato hadn't squeezed out of him.

"Water Style: Rising Dragon — Water Pillar!"

The earth split open with a roar as a blue serpent made its glorious ascent, light refracting through its scaly design. Capturing both its master and Bee in its jaws, the beast bashed through the fiery prison before spitting its tenants into a nearby tree. Then it hurled its colossal form at the source of the fire-natured jutsu.

Itachi wore an expressionless mask, his body easing into an offense stance as he molded chakra in his gut.

"Fire Style: Great Fireball Jutsu!"

Fire and water collided in a great explosion that sent steam and boiling droplets washing over the battlefield and wilting foliage.

"Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!"

Both Naruto and Bee hopped around as droplets pelted them like acid rain.

SHINGG!

The blood red glow of Itachi's Sharingan pierced the thick mist. Naruto glimpsed in dread as the design etched in the man's pupils slowly transformed into a menacing windmill.

"Look out, Bee!" Naruto warned urgently. "If he gets you with Amaterasu or Tsukuyomi, it's over — it's the Mangekyō Sharingan!"

Heeding his own advice, Naruto was cautious to refrain from looking into the clutches of certain doom.

He didn't look.

He was sure he didn't.

But his body reacted.

He felt a spasm, and then something shifted uncomfortably in his lower abdomen. Before he could even vaguely comprehend what was happening, something began forcing itself up and out of his body. Naruto's mouth flew open much beyond his control, and out came the head of a crow sporting an ominous-looking Sharingan.

The creature's head flitted from left to right inquisitively. Then, finally, Naruto fully regurgitated the bird that immediately took flight and proceeded to fly around overhead.

"So it did appear, after all," Itachi said calmly.

Did he do something to Naruto with his ocular abilities? Bee pondered worryingly, watching intently behind his shades.

"Why did a crow just come out of my mouth?" Naruto was out of breath, his eyes quivering with apprehension. But, when he looked up at Itachi for even an ounce of insight, he noted as blood started spilling from one of his eyes. Amaterasu? He exclaimed mentally, gearing up to flee.

But, when the man's eyes blinked open, he was holding the steady gaze of the mysterious crow. The bird stared back, compelled by the inner workings of some otherworldly jutsu — and the Mangekyō Sharingan in its eyes reacted.

"What?" Kabuto looked around his dreary hideout in bleat alarm, breaking out into a sweat. "Wh-What is the meaning of this?"

Without a sound, the animal perched on Naruto's shoulder in a rather friendly manner. And the sage took his time to study the stark contrast between the bird's raven black plumage and the mysterious eye etched in its head.

As if holding the creature's gaze induced the memory, Naruto recalled his last encounter with Uchiha Itachi. The rogue ninja had trapped him inside a genjutsu and planted the bird inside of him. And the experience was no less uncomfortable than this one.

While the string of bizarre events continued unraveling around Itachi, Kabuto's rage had continued to rise, by extension. As if the malevolent energy seeped into its strings and dyed the puppet black, Nagato heaved a sinister and telling frown.

The man quietly rerouted the destructive forces into a tight force field. The translucent energy encased him like a bubble, an effective maneuver to ward of the clones' insufferable attacks.

Kabuto sneered, his tail mirroring his hostility. "If I can't find and get to the technique formula, I'll just destroy the entire forest. If I kill either the Hachibi or Kyūbi in the process, I can just revive them using the Hell Path. Then I can add both of them to my collection with Madara none the wiser."

"Chibaku Tensei (Cataclysmic Heavenly Body)!"

Clasping his hands together, Nagato forged a small black sphere akin to a dark void. Releasing the black dot to the wind allowed it to gather momentum as it soared up into the upper atmosphere. And then it grew — summoning a powerful and daunting vacuum when it found a stationary spot in the clouds.

Naruto's clones dispersed as the very ground beneath their feet betrayed them. The earth cracked and thumped violently. Deep fissures cut through stubborn bedrock and loosened centuries old roots. Mountains and trees abandoned the earth to merge with the black hole that had secured itself in the sky. And with them, Naruto's discreetly hidden technique formulas.

"Tha' hell's up with this crazy technique?" Bee yelled above the roar of the ensuing chaos.

"The last time he used it, he would've caught me if not for the Kyūbi going berserk." Naruto informed with a calm that betrayed the situation.

Bee blanched.

But just before both Jinchūriki and their patch of land could be swallowed up by the raging void—

CRUNCH!

Nagato's temple cracked, like his body was made of solid clay – and his eyes widened in alarm. The demigod looked down to find a chakra-forged sword piercing through his chest. As the strings of Edo Tensei loosened under the weight of the mortal wound, the man heaved a wanly smile when he regained his senses. Then he traced the mythical sword back to its source, where he spied Naruto and Itachi standing within a smoldering Susanoo.

The triumphant sage allowed a mocking grin — not at his senior, but the conniving snake behind the scenes. "I planted my technique formula when I punched you before. Did you forget about that?"

Kabuto punched the ground in his frustration, hot blood churning beneath his pale skin. "Damn you, Nagato!" He cursed. "You really did lack mobility. I thought I'd make up for it by sharing lines of sight with the hidden chameleons I summoned on the field, but so much for that plan.

Damn Itachi and his technique for launching kunai from blind spots. As much as they were perfectly camouflaged, he was able to blind all three chameleons and attack Nagato simultaneously. I underestimated him. He pretended to still be under my control so that he could strike at the opportune moment. Uchiha Itachi... he really is in a league of his own."

Nagato looked to Naruto and Itachi repentantly. "Itachi... how did you—"

"I prepared that crow to emerge in response to my Mangekyō Sharingan," he informed candidly. "I replaced one of its eyes with that of Uchiha Shisui's — the bearer of the ultimate genjutsu: Koto Amatsukami (Distinguished Heavenly Gods). This genjutsu allowed me to restore myself. It seems Shisui's Mangekyō has run out power, however."

"Uchiha Shisui...," Naruto repeated.

"The supreme Uchiha genjutsu user," Bee spoke with familiarity. "Shisui the flash..."

Itachi blinked his eyes open, memories of his best friend flickering in his mind. "Shisui's ocular powers gave birth to the ultimate genjutsu, which allows one to manipulate the target without them ever realizing that they are in its grip. I tailored a genjutsu commanding the target to protect Konoha in Shisui's eye, and then implanted that eye into a crow, which I then passed on to you, Naruto." He was holding the sage's appraising gaze. "Though I never expected that I'd have to use it on myself."

"I see," Nagato said, more fissures running along his body.

"This is the Blade of Totsuka," Itachi informed empathetically. "This sword itself is a sealing technique; you will be sealed soon. Do you have any final words?"

Nagato smiled, holding his junior apprentice's gaze anew. "Naruto... I will go back to our master and watch your story unfold from there..."

Naruto grinned, scratching at his cheek embarrassingly. "I can't really explain it, but I honestly don't believe that Ero-Sennin is gone."

Nagato's eyes gleamed with a hint of hope, his guilt fading.

"I think he's still somewhere out there, watching as my story unravels. And I have no intention of letting him or you down."

He gave a zealously thumbs up.

Nagato smiled warmly. "Naruto... thank you."

And, all too soon, he was gone.

Bee, Itachi and Naruto stood silent for a while — honoring the man's final moments and burning his warm countenance into their memories. Kabuto, on the other hand, held no respect for the dead. No sooner had his blood cooled to a simmer than another devilish grin stretched his face. And his reptilian tongue swept across his lips at the sheer deliciousness of his wicked agenda.

"I guess there's no use wining over spilled milk," he said. "I may as well go ahead and use the special treat I'd been saving."

Susanoo's impressive aura tinted the surrounding landscape a bright, unyielding red. Naruto watched in grief as the new home for his senior slowly dematerialize — first its impressive armor, muscles, and then steel-like bones.

"This Edo Tensei technique is pissing me off more than I thought possible," Naruto fumed, his eyes fixated. "I hate being forced to fight people who don't want to be fighting. And I'm sure everyone else feels the same way, too. This needs to stop... now."

Itachi turned to appraise the fire burning in his eyes. "I'll deal with Edo Tensei," he decided with unwavering finesse and resolution. "I'm leaving Madara to you two."

"We fought some Edo Tensei guys on our way here," Bee informed coolly. "Some Suna shinobi managed to seal them, but it seems like they couldn't kill them — okay? Seems like this technique is perfect; no weaknesses anywhere — okay?"

"Every technique has a flaw which can become a weakness," Itachi retorted.

"I wonder about that," Bee wasn't quite convinced.

"No, I'll stop it," Naruto's voice was hoarse and unforgiving, warranting both men's undivided attention. "Leave the rest to me!"

To reinforce the words and his hardened conviction, Naruto's eyes snapped open as he exerted his power, intent on transitioning from sage into his newly achieved Chakra Mode. But, instead, both his forms dissipated — all his encounters up to this point rendering his energy meter to nil.

Bee pitted his friend as the young shinobi studied his hands in disbelief. "You're overusing the Kyūbi Chakra Mode, Naruto. You're pushing yourself too hard."

"Don't exhaust yourself trying to do everything on your own," Itachi added. "I'm ideally suited for stopping Edo Tensei. I have a plan."

Naruto clenched his fingers into tight fists. "But you've already sacrificed so much for the village. It's unfair that, even after death, this world still expects something from you.

I received a prophecy that I would be the one to end this war. And I want it to be a war without sacrifice; I want to put an end to this madness before even more lives are lost."

Itachi regarded the teen for a while. He had broken out into a sweat, unyielding lines of fatigue craving his face. "You've changed... and have definitely grown stronger than before. However, as a consequence, you're starting to lose sight of something very important."

Bee paid attention, too.

"Listen closely — and remember well. The villagers who hated you began to admire you and came to see you as one of their own, only after you put everything you had into thinking about others and seeking their acknowledgment."

Naruto's eyes quivered at the truth of that.

"You said you've come this far thanks to everyone. Now that you've become strong, if you forget about others, grow conceited, and cling to your individuality above all else, you will eventually become like Madara."

Naruto's body tensed at that appalling proposition, and the crow flew from his shoulder, as if driven away by the sudden current.

"However strong you become, never seek to bear every burden alone. The shinobi of this war have lost friends, families, their home — they wish to fight for what they believe in, as well... just like you. If you share the weight of your responsibilities with everyone, you will prevail.

Your father, Minato, could be Hokage only because he had your mother, Kushina, and all his friends and allies. I believe you share your father's dream."

Naruto nodded solemnly.

"Then remember this," Itachi continued. "It's not that those who become the Hokage are then acknowledged by everyone. Rather, it's those that are acknowledged by everyone who become Hokage. Never forget your friends."

Naruto gasped.

It felt like a gear inside of him that was turning in the wrong way this entire time was suddenly set in proper motion. The resulting fix had flood gates bursting open, flooding his entire mind and body with renewed zeal and resolve.

"Naruto," Bee called, smoothing his neatly trimmed stash. "I promised Iruka something. I sorta said I'd protect you, so I can't let you go alone."

Naruto scratched at his cheek awkwardly. "Well, if that's the case... you may wanna go ahead and find the boss," he clarified repentantly. "I'm just a clone."

"What?" Itachi was in disbelief, as was Bee.

The two men couldn't help but remember all the high-level ninjutsu the shinobi had consistently churned out throughout the duration of the fight.

"Then where is the real Naruto?" Bee pressed, his shades askew in his flustered state.

"I couldn't tell you," the clone replied honestly. "Thousands of clones were created months prior to the start of the war and others, just recently. I've been around for a while now."

Itachi blinked away his astonishment with a cool smile. "If Naruto's become this strong, then I'm reassured Madara will be dealt with in due course."

"I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for the guy," Bee laughed.

Naruto watched as Itachi's eyes changed when the crow perched on his arm. It was the same kind of focus and precision he exhibited when he used Amaterasu before.

"Wait!" Naruto said, clutching that arm.

Itachi calmly turned his head to look at him, like a machine. "Shisui's eye won't be ready for use for another few decades, unless there is an astronomical amount of chakra to facilitate its power."

Naruto's hold tightened.

And Itachi peered into a set of philosophical eyes, trying to unravel the enigma that dwelled within those oceanic depths. But, alas, he couldn't quite decipher what Naruto's intentions were. "Do you wish to use the genjutsu on Sasuke, after all?"

"That's not it," Naruto responded truthfully. "Just call it a contingency plan."

Bee looked on in wonder.

Itachi's intuition told him Naruto's interest in his best friend's eye held far greater merit than dealing with his younger brother. His intentions weren't selfish or evil but, judging by his tepid facial expression, the resolve possibly stood on the border of immorality.

Itachi smiled ruefully.

Throughout the course of time — within the history of every prosperous age — there was always an individual or a committee that had to make unsavory decisions away from prying eyes, for the greater good. And Naruto was already at this sensitive crossroad, contemplating the necessity of this controversial play.

"I'll trust your judgment," Itachi conceded, dismissing the crow and summoning a contract scroll in the same beat.

RIBBIT

A toad — a survivor of Nagato's previous onslaught — hopped toward the Uchiha's feet in a telling gesture. Recognizing the amphibian as one of Naruto's summons, Itachi dropped the scroll toward the creature. And it proceeded to swallow the contract before swiftly taking its leave.

"You have the same spirit as Shisui," Itachi admitted affectionately. "So I don't mind passing his eye onto you. I'm sure his spirit will find peace, if you use his powers in the name of righteousness."

"And what about you?" Naruto inquired curiously. "You should go and see Sasuke yourself. I'm sure this time—"

"No," Itachi interjected. "I tried to fix this on my own and failed. This time," his eyes softened. "I'll entrust it to my comrades."

Bee cupped the back of his neck with a grin. "There's more to you than just being a strong shinobi after all, isn't there?"

The Uchiha turned his back as the compliment struck home. "Killer Bee," he said as a means of farewell, his voice earnest. "Look after Naruto for me."

"Assuming that I can find him," Bee returned playfully, watching as the man's back disappeared in the distance. Then he looked to Naruto who was now burning like a star. "I take it you're ready to rock?"

"Let's go!"


Shikamaru. Chōji. Neji. Kiba. Lee.

If there was one thing they deeply regretted in their lives — it was the sheer extent to which they had struggled fighting off Orochimaru's lackeys three years ago. While it's true the battle was won, they clearly lost the war as Sasuke still managed to leave the village in the end.

If only they had managed to overpower their adversary without as much difficulty. Then they could have possibly met up with Naruto, and worked together to drag Sasuke back home to receive the mental and emotional help he obviously needed.

Kabuto licked his lips darkly, an impressive information network providing him with plenty of insight on the enemy's past traumas. As if wanting to pry open old wounds, the conniving snake ensured the teenagers were reacquainted with the rogues who wielded Orochimaru's cursed seal.

Upon meetings their executioners, the villains didn't hesitate to vow their revenge and don their monstrous forms, a permanent scowl etched in their faces.

But the gang wasn't deterred.

While these fossils of years long passed had been in a state of suspended animation, the young shinobi had been growing and refining their craft. The power they wielded over three years ago paled in comparison to their current potential — and the Edo Tensei pawns were figuring that out the hard way.

"Kabuto's intentionally confronting people with old comrades, loved ones and even former foes," one ANBU warrior said to another with evident distaste. "It's an ingenious strategy to inflict emotional and psychological damage."

But, whatsoever devious moves the man dished out, Naruto's clones were present at every corner of the battlefield, avidly watching over his fellow shinobi. Consequently, as soon as Shikamaru and his friends were in a bind, a guardian angel made no delay swooping in from his high roast and swiftly lending aid.

Unfortunately, Edo Tensei wasn't the only poison plaguing the land. But Naruto was the messenger of justice. As much as the original was incapacitated at the moment, his counterparts were ensuring his will was thoroughly being executed.

Thanks in part to the communications team, the orange warriors were able to effectively navigate to all the divisions and incapacitate the Zetsu clones who had continued disguising themselves as soldiers of the alliance.


"Na-Naruto-kun!" Hinata chided, slowly reclining his back upon a bed of hay. "You shouldn't be exerting yourself whatsoever; I haven't even finished healing you..."

The princess was sitting on her heels beside him. The girl was like an attentive and overprotective mother tending to her sick child, her expression glum and worrisome. From the corner of her eye, she glimpsed as the dozens of clones he had spawned — glowing like an afternoon sun — leaped into a high arch and were quickly out of view.

Unable to suppress her anxiety, Hinata boldly argued that he had a responsibility to focus on his recovery. It was in times like these that he had to learn to trust and depend on his friends. Sakura, Shikamaru, Kakashi and the others, were more than capable of taking caring of themselves. And she was certain they would feel guilty, if they understood just how much his sacrifices were weighing on him.

The princess noted as his tired eyes gleamed pensively as they shifted to the crudely made ceiling. She could tell his dismissed clones were presumably returning with intel — but with that information also came a swath of worldly burdens that threatened to cast him off the razor's edge. As she progressed his healing, the kunoichi could sense the increased toll it was taking on him.

"The Zetsu clones… have been giving everyone a hard time with their perfect imitations," Naruto defended weakly, each word below a whisper. "The… Kyūbi Chakra Mode… is the only way we can effectively… deal with that."

The princess' frown didn't clear.

And Naruto's eyes softened. "Hinata... winning this war would be meaningless… if everyone ended up dying. Even in this shape… I have to do whatever I can… to protect you and everyone else. There are no second chances."

Hinata pursed her lips at the grim truth of that, tears swelling in her eyes. She wanted him to see as they fell, hoping her sorrow would coax him into being a bit more reasonable with her delicate heart.

"Naruto-kun... I was so scared. I don't know what I'd do without you..."

The shinobi could vividly remember the otherworldly pain that utterly floored him not too long ago. It felt like a dark shroud — something alien and evil — had descended upon him, driving heated needles into every pore of his skin. But he managed to push the memory aside and heaved a small smile, his eyes closed as he weaved in and out of consciousness.

"I don't plan on… going anywhere until I've made you the happiest girl alive."

Hinata mirrored his warm smile, the wondrous image of him even more surreal behind her swelling tears. "Hn!" she nodded. "I'll have you all healed up so that you can keep your promise."

Outside the crude dwelling, two masked guards of Naruto's design watched as another clone appeared before them in a cool and quiet descent.

"It's probably a good idea if you guys remain in Sage Mode," the newcomer suggested in a silky tone, gazing up at them from a crouched position. "We're surrounded."

The two warriors blinked their eyes open in a battle-ready stance, the mark of the sage already accentuating the corner of their eyes. But the newcomer had already taken the liberty of pinpointing the location of every rotten invader underground, the hilt of his wakizashi short sword glinting in the sunlight.

"Earth Element: Skewering Spears!"

Readily betraying its grotesque master, the earth yielded to a being far more powerful than the former. A pained shriek echoed outside the old hut as a few dozen Zetsu clones shot up from beneath the ground, fatally skewered by earthen spikes. The ghastly scene looked like something straight out of Game of Thrones or Spratacus — corpses risen on pikes as a silent message to the enemy. But this message served as neither provocation or warning; it was simply a one-sided slaughter.

The masked warriors allowed their shoulders to drop. The absence of negative energy reassured them the fight was over, at least for the time being. Without a word, they observed as the newcomer looked around with an air of contemplation.

Garbed in the brown and amber colors native to the Iwagakure shinobi, the clone cupped his chin as he concocted an idea. "We should create a moat," he said all of a sudden. "Hinata — how much longer until the boss is healed?"

"Etto...," her adorable voice came wafting outside like a gentle breeze. "Maybe thirty minutes? His clones keep coming back, so his vitality keeps fluctuating."

"Okay — so I would say around forty-five minutes to an hour," he roughly estimated, even as he laced his fingers together and started molding chakra to freely control the elements. "If we create a moat, Zetsu won't be able to get the drop on you guys before you see them coming."

"…Now that you mention it," another clone began. "He was always notorious for popping up out of the ground. But if there's water—"

An earth-splitting rumble swallowed the rest of the clone's words. Exerting enough chakra for his free reign of the rebellious element, Iwa-Naruto elevated the building and dug a trench around it. And then the other two warriors took the initiative to add the water.

"I personally haven't seen it in action, but I heard we can add density to water? I'm sure that could add another layer of defense to this place."

Both clones regarded him obediently.

It was weird but they felt like the bastard was being condescending. Was it even possible to be an asshole to yourself? Maybe this jutsu had been ongoing for far too long.

Sporting an ANBU mask that conveniently concealed their annoyance, both warriors watched as the Iwa-clone said his farewell to their princess.

Among all the clones operating on their own, this one in particular was especially adept. He's currently the only one capable of earth-nature transformation and is frequently popping up all over the front lines — thrashing enemies, saving hides, and then disappearing like a wayward spirit. And it looks like he was out playing the hero again.

"Later," he gestured with his fingers, his body seeping into the earth in an impressive Orochimaru-style body flicker technique.

"Show-off," one clone scoffed.

"Kakkoii~" the other gleamed.

Hinata's eyes twitched in her deep focus, a perfectly woven synergy shared between Akiko and herself. Based on her diagnosis of his condition, the princess vividly drew up a two-dimensional diagram of Naruto's energy reservoir in her mind — perfectly divided into spirit, stamina and chakra capacity.

While cool, revitalizing power was flowing into him from her healing, Naruto's energy would sporadically evaporate as his clone's fatigue returned to him. But Hinata was committed.

She continued pouring her heart and soul into him, tipping the scales in her favor. As she persevered keeping the worse at bay, the princess noted that Naruto's reservoir was stretching ever larger. The Kyūbi's chakra aside, she had never sensed such a vast and intense power before.

It was astronomical.

Even if she were to reincarnate twice and added both power levels, her prowess would still pale in comparison. But the sacrifice for this godlike stature still held a razor at his throat — and as that power steadily grew, the deadly blade pulled ever closer.

How many more clones had yet to return? And how much wider would that expand his overall power and intellect?

Hinata was curious to behold this amalgamation of this impressive transformation — and she increased her healing output toward that end, eager to be curled up and safe in his arms once more.


Worlds Apart — The Strongest Uchiha!

While Naruto continued to recover, his counterparts, on the other hand, continued saturating the battlefield with overwhelming strength and dexterity. At the behest of headquarters, they had set out to destroy the Zetsu clones and aid in the sealing of the former Kages.

Noting that their role had culminated with the arrival of a stronger class, all the clones who were dispatched before Naruto achieved Kyūbi Chakra Mode were instructed to dismiss themselves. And, of course, this added more strain to Hinata's already hectic task.

Although the soldiers didn't readily make their elation show, they were both thrilled and relieved that Naruto had joined their ranks. With his abilities on each battle front, they had completely suppressed the enemy and reversed the balance of power. Now all they needed to do was deal with Madara and all the Jinchūriki he had under his control. Needless to say, Kabuto's destruction would follow right, afterwards.

Or so they thought.

"Wh-What's that?"

All the troops from Gaara's division turned their attention to an evidently spooked sensory shinobi.

"Do you sense something?" Ōnoki asked on behalf of everyone.

"Over there!" he squeaked, pointing to a lofty rock formation overlooking them.

In the same beat, a familiar shinobi wrapped in bandages ambled to the ledge. He looked down at his foes with undisguised contempt, somehow not deterred that he was sorely outnumbered and outclassed.

"That's the Second Tsuchikage!" Gaara exclaimed.

Naruto heaved a calculating frown. "I'm pretty sure I saw you seal him, though."

"Don't tell me he managed to divide himself under those conditions!"

"Divide himself?"

Gaara, Naruto and Temari regarded the old man curiously as he attempted to shed some light on their confusion.

"Mu-sama is capable of dividing his body to create clones. No, it would be more accurate to say that he divides his body into two more originals. Though his power is, likewise, divided in half."

"It's not him!" the sensory shinobi cried out in denial, the monstrous chakra haunting him to no end. "There's someone else..."

"What?" Temari finally caught a glimpse of this illusive companion. "There's someone else with him!"

"Th-That's..." Ōnoki couldn't find his tongue.

Naruto remained silent. Whoever this person was, he was far more powerful than both Kabuto and Madara combined. It was only after he was recognized that his overwhelming chakra started revealing itself. Could he be the true mastermind behind this entire war?

Ōnoki broke out into a sweat, feeling exactly what Naruto did. "So you've come," he uttered with obvious familiarity. "Uchiha Madara!"

"That's him?'' Naruto squared his shoulders. "So this is what he looks like under the mask."

That's what he said, and yet he couldn't see the correlation between the two chakra types.

"He looks exactly as he did so long ago," Ōnoki affirmed.

"How can this be?" Gaara had never seen Madara's face before, nor was he distinguishing chakra types. "Look closely — his eyes... they're Edo Tensei eyes"

The crowd looked on in wonder.

"Edo Tensei is a technique that brings the dead back into this world. In other words, he was dead all along."

"Hold on," Temari interjected in disbelief. "As I recall, HQ told us that Madara was leading his Jinchūriki in another direction, right?"

"Yet that is, without a doubt, Madara," Ōnoki insisted knowingly. "In my youth, in ages passed, I fought him, myself. If this is the real Madara... then who on earth is the masked man?"

Dark clouds eclipsed the sun.

A creeping shadow swallowed the first division, like an eerie representation of the Uchiha's dark malevolence — or perhaps it was the gods who were teasing a subtle warning. Whatever the case, Madara regarded the shinobi as if they were mere cattle. But as his dark brows descended above a pair of blood red Sharingan, perhaps vermin was a more ideal description.

"Who could the masked man be?" Temari persisted, then she signaled to Ōnoki. "As Tsuchikage, you've used Akatsuki's services before. Do you have any ideas?"

"No one springs to mind. It doesn't matter who he is, anyway; we still have to stop him."

"Their forehead protectors read shinobi," Madara said shrewdly, his voice deep and cool. "Yet their garments are those of all five Great Shinobi Nations. Is this a new allied army?"

"This is war, after all," the former Tsuchikage simply said.

"This must be his doing," the Uchiha thought openly, arms folded comfortably across his chest despite the hostile force decked out below him. "I'm sure he has something in mind, but so far it seems like he's deviating from the plan." His frown deepened. "How dare he raise me in such a form! Who is wielding this Edo Tensei technique?"

"Beats me."

Dissatisfied with the Kage's flippant behavior towards his most honored chest piece, Kabuto commandeered the man's consciousness to establish a personal means of communication. "I'm Kabuto," he said as a means of introduction. "I'm that man's ally."

Madara remained unenthused. "It takes a very withdrawn man to speak to others via Edo Tensei."

"Your Edo Tensei is special," the snake attempted to appease. "I have improved it beyond even your glory days."

For the first time since he was summoned, Madara moved. His armor rattled as he swiveled his head to sneer at the disrespectful coward, his voice low and cold. "Are you saying you know the full truth of my glory days?"

"Not at all," Kabuto exercised humility. "That's why I would like you to display it here — display the legendary power of the Uchiha."

There was a moment of calm.

Then the rush of sand shattered the deafening silence — remotely controlled hands that threatened to crush and restrain both Edo Tensei warriors.

"So he won't be that easy to catch," Gaara muttered disappointedly as both men effortlessly eluded capture.

Madara's chain mail rattled again as he landed atop the sandy dunes to join the apprehensive shinobi, eyes malicious as he decided to fulfill the puppeteer's request. Or rather, the request would only be inadvertently met as the Uchiha sought to retaliate against the alliances' provocative attack.

Everyone watched him, like a herd of antelope that had spied a lion on the open savanna. And their open trepidation amused the predator.

When was the last time he breathed in this toxic atmosphere? There was blood, conviction, guilt, grief, fear, anxiety... all seeming to combine and hang on the arid desert air — an exhilarating cocktail he could have relished even more if blood still coursed through his veins.

The malevolence rolling off the tightly knit alliance coaxed his own. A warrior hardened by an unrelenting era of war and strife, Madara assessed his prey, eager to find out if the puppet master had really managed to refine his power.

A thicker veil of shadow slowly enveloped the Uchiha and then the alliance, like the dark robes of death. It was as if the world was signaling a warning to the Allied Forces, but even a single step backwards in retreated could've spelt the end for everything they had ever loved or believed in.

As Madara confidently ambled forward — a powerful monster whose legacy had inked the history books of every hidden village in existence — the icy claws of dread gripped the shinobi.

Those who weren't utterly petrified by fear brandished their weapons in an attempt to keep their confidence afloat, while others opted to whisper a prayer to their God.

But Madara didn't wait.

His slow strides gradually hastened.

A shinobi at the forefront reached into his pouch for a kunai with trembling hands, droplets of sweat pooling at his chin. To his left, another man swallowed passed a hard lump in his throat, his forehead glistening in his nervousness. But he tightly gripped his sword nonetheless, his body arching forward.

"Here he comes!" Naruto bellowed.

"Don't look him in the eye!" Ōnoki warned.

And then Madara was running.

With a hearty battle cry born of a primeval urge to survive, the warriors mirrored the Uchiha's speedy advance. And then, finally... they clashed.

A series of successive explosions rang out as the villain collided with the oncoming horde like a wrecking ball. Grown men and woman flew skyward — knocked in every which direction like rag dolls as they met the humanoid tank. And Madara's momentum never slowed. Instead, his speed kept increasing as he cleaved through the helpless crowd.

WHAM!

He hurled a Konoha shinobi into an approaching group, toppling them all like pinballs. A roundhouse kick and right hook had two others barreling for yards. A jump-kick broke someone's neck. A blinding series of jabs and kicks shattered bones and destroyed organs. Madara flitted around the battlefield like a natural disaster — a conscious and very vindictive hurricane.

Every assault against him was met with a precise and crippling counter — each one resounding and fatal. Numbers meant nothing. Dreadfully enchanting eyes darted about robotically. Each threat was being analyzed within mere nanoseconds with a powerful body keeping perfect pace.

Kabuto's senses was linked with the second Tsuchikage. And he watched from the sky as Madara's physical attacks detonated at different points on the battlefield, like land mines. Amidst the chaos and Ōnoki's watchful gaze, he tried to utilize the Kage's Dust Element for a devastating ranged attack, but the jutsu failed.

You won't be able to use Dust Element after diving, Ōnoki assessed, watching as the naive puppet master slipped the Kage out of sight and sound. "Sensory types," he called instructively. "Track Mu-sama!"

In the same beat, Gaara unfurled his arm with a telling frown, only to have Temari intervene. "Wait! You and Tsuchikage-dono must prioritize recovery." She looked to Konoha's Orange Knight. "Naruto, you should activate that special mode again."

"I've used up all that chakra," the clone replied repentantly, assessing oceanic eyes never leaving the dexterous enemy. "But I do have one more ace up my sleeve. I just need to get a grip on this guy's battle style so that I don't risk losing before another clone arrives."

Temari pivoted her head toward the source of everyone's turmoil, her teeth gritted. "So we'll have to keep sacrificing soldiers to figure out this guy's fighting style? He's already decimated our ranks and he hasn't even used any jutsus yet."

A white arch traced the trajectory of a sword as it sliced through a man's armored vest and torso in the same beat. Madara's raven black hair twirled as he cleaved through flesh and bone in what could only be described as a dance of death. Countless shinobi contested him with their own blades and skill, only to be effortlessly cut down like wild game.

Without looking, the Uchiha skillfully caught a kunai aimed at his back. Within the motion of a single spin, he dismantled the two-layered weapon. The explosive note was pasted to an enemy in front while the kunai was returned to its sender with double the force and lethality.

"Eek! Eek!" the shinobi in front squealed like a pig when Madara kicked him into a crowd. He struggled to notify his comrades and remove the explosive in the same beat.

But it was too late.

BOOOOM!

The stifling stench of charred flesh saturated the air and blanketed the battlefield. But Madara's movements didn't slow; astonishing red eyes guided his glorious conquest. His limbs seemed to take on a mind of their own as he trampled the enclosing horde. The sword he wielded seemed to blur into many has he whizzed through dozens of people like a living blade.

Using a hopeless wretch as a shield against a shuriken bombardment, the warrior cast the body aside in time to entrap another pitiful assailant within a powerful genjutsu. Jumping right after downing the fool prevented him being caught in a follow-up ambush from underground.

The earth user shrieked as a deadly kunai dug into the sand in retaliation. Then Madara was on the move again — a blinding cyclone of slashes, jabs and kicks that kept mowing down the opposition. His body came back into focus when he stopped to clasp a Kumo shinobi's neck, outraged by the man's sheer and utter incompetence.

WHAMM!

An attack finally connected.

"We're not done yet!" Temari brandished her massive fan, the wind-natured ninjutsu blasting Madara a couple of yards away, much to the astonishment of the onlookers.

His stoic visage never changing, the Uchiha eased into a controlled flip. He slid backwards along the torrid sand until his body came to a stop. Mockingly, he dusted his shoulder guard and mentally decided to retaliate in the like, his bangs rising as he molded chakra for an attack.

"Fire Style: Great Fires of Destruction!"

The open dunes made a quick transition into glass as an ocean of fire spewed from Madara's lips, like a volcanic eruption. The all-consuming flames rolled forth — intent on rendering all to ash. But all the water-capable shinobi stepped up and — despite their panic — collectively forged a sea of water that rivaled the hell-bound flames.

TCHHHH!

Again the battlefield was veiled in a thick blanket of mist. Despite the steam that scorched their skin and nostrils, the shinobi remained alert. And for good reason, too.

Within seconds, Madara was leaping through the dense fog with over a dozen fire-forged orbs at his back. The house-sized missiles descended upon the alliance like meteorites, donating upon impact. As the fires of hell unraveled its searing tongue all around him, the Uchiha trounced on the helpless soldiers without an inkling of hesitation or remorse.

A capable sword sung a dirge as its master performed a tragic dance the shinobi had grown to know too well. Try as they might: taijutsu, ninjutsu, weapons, cowardice, a plea — nothing managed to breach the impenetrable hurricane that was Madara's offensive-defense.

Until now.

A lethal blade carved a trajectory toward a man's lower abdomen went it was intercepted by a pillow of sand. Shrewd eyes took note of the intervention, but Madara insisted on ending the latest shinobi who incurred his wrath. He followed up with a roundhouse kick to break ribs and puncture the man's heart, but the sand intervened again.

Gaara pushed to his feet with renewed conviction as a medical ninja concluded his treatment. And Madara eased into a series of quick backflips as a thrashing wave of sand threatened to crush and suffocate him. Effortless agility and nimble reflexes had the seasoned veteran eluding capture yet again. Even while airborne with minimal maneuverability, the Uchiha still managed to best the appendage-like arms that shot out at him.

The moment his feet touched the ground, however, he noted a foreboding shadow that consumed him whole.

"Big Ball Rasengan!"

"Earth Release: Moving Earth Core!"

Supplementing Naruto's bold descent, the Tsuchikage elevated the spot of ground upon which Madara stood, propelling him toward the projectile for a devastating pincer attack.

CRASHH!

The collision detonated like a nuclear explosion. Gaara managed to mitigate the shockwave for a great many, but a few of the more distant shinobi were threw to the sky like debris in a cyclone.

As the shockwave continued to rock the battlefield, Naruto followed by Ōnoki were the first to realize that their synchronized attack didn't prevail. Madara stood calm inside the rib cage of a familiar entity with an even more familiar design etched in his eyes.

Faster than a bullet, the blue guardian spawned a torso and an arm to fend off Naruto's attack. Then a head materialized to heave an earth-shattering roar that sent another violent shockwave rippling across the front lines.

"Is that Susanoo?" Ōnoki asked knowingly, his frown deepening. "Then he has already activated the Mangekyō Sharingan."

Multicolored lights illustrating a variety of elemental attacks highlighted the blue devil in a fierce assault. The alliance looked like ants bombarding an anteater. The cold predator tittered mockingly as even the Kazekage's sand attempted to penetrate the impenetrable titan, but to no avail.

The fear-stricken shinobi gawked in absolute dread as the animated beast sprouted an additional pair of arms — each equipped with a menacing chakra-based blade. And in the next instant, hundreds of bodies were thrown into the air as light peeled across the earth from the weapons, like a whip of lightening.

But, just before despair could drill its icy claws any deeper, a familiar high-pitched hum from an evolutionary form of the Rasengan seized the atmosphere. And Naruto stepped forward, eyes narrowed to dangerous slits as he studied the hordes of bodies that lay motionless around him. Lifeless bodies he swore he wouldn't let exist.

"Let's see how he likes this one," Naruto spat angrily, acid etched in each syllable. "Everyone, get back!"

Intent on bolstering their next move, Ōnoki leapt forward and laid his hands upon Gaara's gourd. "Earth Release: Featherweight Rock Technique!"

"Go, Kazekage! I've lightened the sand around you, as well!"

My sand weighs nothing now, Gaara noted with a quiet glee, marveling at how freely the element rose from its home on his back. This might do it!

Despite the fusillade of attacks that erupted against the titan's ginormous chakra-forged form, Gaara still decided to opt for a distraction that would ultimately compromise the man's defenses.

Commanding gold-infused sand to his will, an unrelenting wave tackled Madara's humanoid barrier. But Susanoo didn't even budge. Pushing his frustration aside, the Kazekage remembered his fight with Sasuke at the Summit. Susanoo was almost indestructible from the outside but—

Madara's attention suddenly veered to the ground as the sand stirred and hummed beneath his feet like a living creature. Before he could switch from his lax disposition to defend, the sand latched onto his arm and hurled him out of the barrier, like a humanoid frisbee.

Acknowledging his hearty call, Naruto lunged forward with the projectile he hoped would be the catalyst to finally put an end to this tragic war.

"Wind Release: Rasenshuriken!"

With a screech that no mermaid or siren could ever emulate, the sphere of pure destructive power illuminated a path toward its target.

Time slowed — and Madara's eyes widened.

But it wasn't out of fear or rage — no, the man preserved his cool countenance as his ocular abilities transcended the established norms of evolution and pushed him even that closer to true godhood. With a simple flick of his wrist, both sand and wind-natured projectiles dematerialized in an instant, as if they never existed to begin with.

"That was excessive," Madara said coolly, smoke undulating from a gloved hand.

"H-He absorbed it," Temari stuttered, the spectators sharing her abject shock.

H-How can this guy have the Rinnegan? Naruto thought mentally, golden eyes narrowed to curious slits. Wait. Could this be the all-powerful shinobi that Old Man Fukasaku mentioned before? According to Giant Grandpa Sage, Kabuto needed to be kept alive until he summoned this guy so that we can seal him for good. But we'll definitely need the boss's help if we're going to stand a chance against this guy. Though, with that said, can I even stand against him until then?

Allowing his guardian to dematerialize, the unscathed Uchiha retreated to the monolithic stone structure from which he came.

"My theory has been validated," Kabuto said by means of greeting. "The Sharingan's next evolution really is the Rinnegan."

"I awakened my eyes to it shortly before my death," Madara informed, a natural hint of assertion to his low tone. "Kabuto, was it? What have you done to this body?"

"I already told you," the snake began to reiterate, though he evidently tried to exercise a certain degree of humility and respect. "I've improved it beyond even your glory days."

Madara wasn't enthused — and his dark browns descended above the rings that circled his cornea. "The likes of you dared to study my body's secrets? Are you saying a miserable creature like you managed to decipher the Uchiha stone tablet without even being able to read it?"

"Orochimaru-sama and I used our many years' worth of research data to develop a hypothesis. Now, you are unliving proof of that hypothesis. You can wield a fraction of the power of the Rikudō Sennin: the power of a god. And it is I who created your power."

Madara ignored the vermin, taking a moment to relish the destruction he artistically carved into the battlefield. The blue flames from Susanoo's blades still scorched the dry earth with a heat that rivaled Amaterasu. Lifeless bodies dotted the landscapes like droplets of paint from an artist's brush. Shinobi knelt by the still corpses of their neighbors, friends and family. Pain, panic and pressure bubbled up and over amidst the devastated alliance. But the grim reaper had no intention of giving the warriors a quarter — nor did he care to take prisoners.

"Make no mistake," the demigod replied bitterly to the devious puppet master. "You did not create this."

As the blue titan regained its imposing form from Madara's surging chakra, the Uchiha executed a few seals that Susanoo expertly mirrored. And humanity gazed upon the odd collaboration between man and deity as the medical team aided the injured and the communication team kept HQ afloat.

Within moments, the sky darkened.

TING!

A man dropped his sword to the ground and gave a hopeless laugh. "Well, shit..."

"Tha-That's impossible...," another grieved, looking skyward with pained eyes.

"How can this be?"

Naruto gritted his teeth, sweat rolling down his face.

"It's like... another world," uttered Temari, her knees buckling.

"Is this the power of a God?" Gaara couldn't believe his eyes.

And the Tsuchikage couldn't find his tongue.

Thousands of feet above them — effortlessly shattering the earth's upper atmosphere — a gargantuan meteorite spanning the length of roughly one-hundred football fields hurled toward them at a breakneck pace. The foreign mass hummed terrifyingly as it drew closer. And the earth seemed to grumble a low warning to the surface dwellers in a language they could easily decipher.

But there was no escape. And the anxiety kept permeating throughout the ranks of the shinobi like a toxic miasma.

"A meteorite? How can he..."

"Can you even call this ninjutsu?"

"We have no chance to escape."

The Tsuchikage looked around worryingly as negative remarks and whimpering assaulted him from every direction. He could almost hear as the shinobi's morale deteriorated like a burning fuse.

"Don't speak as if you've given up already!" he shouted before regarding the terrifying force of nature again. "Don't give up until you've tried! Even if it's not much, we'll do what we can!"

"Tsuchikage-sama!" one man yelled with evident concern as the old fossil flew off toward the source of their anguish.

"All of you, get as far away from here as you can!" Gaara instructed with a flick of his arm. And the shinobi took heed to the commander's hearty cry.

"You're taking us out, as well?" Kabuto asked quietly.

"Of course," Madara replied with a cool smile. "The Edo Tensei technique was originally designed for suicide attacks. We'll recover given a little time."

In the same beat, they saw a dot whizzing through the air and took a moment to focus their gazes on the curious figure.

A shinobi flying through the sky? Madara thought inwardly. "That must be the Iwa Fence-Sitter Boy," he mused aloud, a mocking smile stretching his lips.

BANG!

The Tsuchikage's head slammed into the rock's surface when he made contact, nails digging into the unyielding mass in his sheer determination to stop the looming catastrophe. "Earth Release: Flyweight Rock Jutsu!"

With a fervent roar, Ōnoki expelled enough chakra to encompass the entirety of the meteorite — and his endeavor succeeded in slowing its velocity. Following up, the Kazekage found the highest rock formation upon which to stand and gave life to a pair of colossal arms made of sand. Finally, Naruto pitched in by summoning Gamabunta — the chief toad of Mount Myōboku — and two others of equal size.

The chief wasn't enthused about the precarious situation in which he was hurled, but he shot his tongue upward — like a crotch — and his brothers mirrored the same maneuver in hopes of slowing the space rock's momentum.

Almost there..., Ōnoki psyched himself up, his forehead bruised, his fingernails bleeding. Just a little more and we can stop this thing!

Sharing the man's fiery passion for success, the warriors focused on this singular reason for being and their hearts connected in this desperate struggle for survival. With a united shout, they mustered every ounce of strength they had in one final synchronized push.

In the next few heart-wrenching moments, the deep rumbling that spread across the surface of the earth ceased, and howls of panic and madness faded into silence.

A few harmless chunks fell from the interstellar rock. It shattered the deafening silence, slowing the shinobi's once chaotic retreat. And the light of hope gradually returned to their eyes.

Madara, on the other hand, gazed upon the unforeseen miracle with an emotionless mask. "The Fence-Sitter Boy has grown up to be a man."

The meteorite had stopped, as if it had been spellbound — frozen in a state of suspended animation. And the shinobi rejoiced, Ōnoki and Gaara feeling their bliss resonate in their own hearts. But Naruto was quiet, his mind calculating.

Madara.

His abilities as a fighter was truly astounding. But it wasn't just his physical capabilities that were sharpened by a lifetime exposure of war and strive. He was also a master at psychological warfare. From the fixed scowl on his face, to his effortless domination of the allied forces, he was breaking the shinobi from the inside out. And Naruto had a feeling this was only just the beginning.

In that instant — as if the Gods wanted to prove his claim correct — the pensive sage sensed a gigantic clump of chakra. And it was on the move. But, before he could spin a cohesive warning in his mind to warn his comrades, a second meteorite burst through a cover of clouds with deadly accuracy.

"Now...," Madara whispered, his eyes cold and aloof. "What will you do about the second one, Ōnoki?"

But there was nothing that could be done.

By the time the more keen of the shinobi noted the foreboding presence above them, the colossal space debris was already slamming into the former, sending a lethal shockwave through the Tsuchikage's head. Fissures ran through the meteorites like erupting veins, hurling down rocks upon the unsuspecting forces.

The explosive impact rippled across the earth, its effects being felt as far as HQ.


"What just happened?!" Shikaku exclaimed, pivoting his head in Inoichi's direction in hopes of some measure of clarity.

Ino's father was synchronized with a machine via a helmet that enhanced his mental powers. At this pressing moment, he was pushing himself to assimilate as much information as possible.

"Message from the information relay center!" he began. "There are reports that a rock big enough to blot out the sky has been dropped on the Forth Division's battlefield."

"That's what's been causing these tremors?"

"Have there been any reports from the Fourth Division since then?" Now the Raikage's voice thundered across the room.

"This is insane," another man murmured in terror. "To wipe out so many in one stroke..."

"There's no other possibility," Shikaku concluded regrettably. "This must be some sort of technique from Madara." his head swiveled around to regard his female superior, eyes wide with the extremity of their current predicament. "Tsunade-sama... we can't allow this to continue!"

"I'm heading out!" she pushed to her feet with warranted haste, her eyes burning vehemently.


A lone shinobi navigated through a cloak of receding dust, eyes a somber shade of grey. A survivor of the interstellar invasion, the man slouched around on unsteady feet, careful not to step on the mangled corpses of his fallen brethren that littered the rocky battlefield.

Finally he spied an Iwa-shinobi on his knees. The man's hands were still against an earthen wall of his own construct, in an attempt to defend against the cataclysmic disaster. But a single touch had the corpse falling limply onto his back, his barrier crumbling to reflect the morale of the other survivors who braved the rough-hewn maze.

Clutching an injured arm, Temari knelt attentively beside her brother who had exhausted almost all of his chakra just to keep himself alive.

A large toad resurfaced from the earth to spit out Naruto and a few dozen other shinobi it was able to save in the nick of time. But a few dozen wasn't nearly enough, and the teen allowed the sheer regret and frustration to rip through his heart like a lose arrow from an expertly pulled bow. His grief only deepened when he found a broken Tsuchikage motionless beside an attention shinobi.

"Don't worry," the man reassured, ignoring his own injuries. "He's alive... though... his wounds are serious."

Naruto stared down at the truth of that — fresh blood running from the man's mouth and swollen left eye. His small body tattered and torn, totally motionless.

In contrast, there was a flurry of activity on the enemy's part. Like billions of multicolored papier-mâché, tiny particles accumulated to form a pair of humanoid bodies. Courtesy of Edo Tensei's evil design, Madara and the Second Tsuchikage rematerialized.

"So this is the power of the Rikudō Sennin," Kabuto mused. "How magnificent."

Madara's eyes blinked open, a smog smile stretching his lips at the man's surprise. "This scenery brings back memories," he reminisced for but a fleeting moment, then his countenance was once again sour. "Kabuto, was it? How much do you know about me?"

Kabuto held the Uchiha's scornful gaze with impressive composure. "I know that you fought the First Hokage, Hashirama, in the Valley of the End — and I suspect that you didn't die there. Not then, at least."

Madara frowned at the scoundrel's shrewdness.

"You may have lost to Hashirama, but you also obtained a little of his power. Am I wrong?"

The man's frown deepened, then he took a peek inside his shirt. "Now I see. You are a systematic thinker. Do you know about our plan, as well?"

"Not in detail, but I'm on your side — though, I'm not so sure if the fake Madara truly intends to follow the original plan."

Madara regarded the man for a while, as if weighing the true of his words and revisiting contingencies just in case of such an occasion.

"Whatever the case," Kabuto broke the intense silence with a change of subject. "I see there are scattered pockets of survivors. The Tsuchikage and Kazekage are as resilient as one might expect. What shall you do?"

Peering down at said group, Madara weaved a few hand signs and then slammed his palm down to the ground. "There is something I'd like to test — Summoning Technique!"

Like a monarch's royal decree, his command took flight — invisible hands that scoured every corner and crevice of the globe for his former servant spirit.

Meanwhile — inside his subconsciousness — Naruto fell to the ground as heat welled up inside his stomach like a typhoon. The Kyūbi looked from the suffering Jinchūriki to the dark ceiling of his cage in anger and disbelief, noting the insidious hands that beckoned to him.

This chakra summoning me... is it Madara?

"I see the Kyūbi has not yet been captured," the Uchiha pushed to his feet with little disappointment.

"That's the purpose of this war," Kabuto enlightened. "The Kyūbi is inside a Jinchūriki right now. See — that one right there. That boy is the Kyūbi's Jinchūriki, Uzumaki Naruto-kun."

"Uzumaki?" Madara looked down upon the squirming bug, even as an imagine of Hashirama's wife dared to appeared in his mind. "Then he is of Mito's clan, and he is the brat that attacked me earlier."

"He's quite the troublesome one," Kabuto warned. "You can take him out, if you like, but that's just one of many clones he's got scurrying around on the front lines. Shall we get on with capturing the original?"

"Not yet," Madara denied, his chain mail rattling as he sauntered forward. "There's a technique I'd like to test. It will be far more colorful in a place full of people."

The moment he formed the seals, a sensory ninja amongst the group detected the man's monstrous chakra in motion. Without delay, he alerted the group. But with everyone tuckered out and quite a few trapped beneath rubble, there was little that could be done.

"Wood Element: Birth of the Tree World!"

The ground trembled and hummed in defiance as enormous trees sprouted from beneath the surface, and equally large vines slithered across the earth like vipers.

"He even has wood element," Dodai exclaimed with a pained stare as he supported a limp Ōnoki.

"I guess this is it," said the sensory ninja, conceding to a grim fate.

Gaara and Temari looked on with similar sentiments. But Naruto — down on his last few inklings of chakra — still didn't exude any signs of resignation.

Naruto..., the Kyūbi's deep voice rose in his mind. For now, I'll lend you my strength.

The outraged teen glared at the lupine catastrophe within its spacious prison, his stomach still burning from Madara's summoning attempt. "Are you seriously trying to take control of my body right now?"

No. I'm just giving you chakra, he reassured with a scowl for the name about to be weaved upon its tongue. Even someone like you is better than having Madara control me again.

As opposed to Naruto's shocked expression at the Kyūbi's offer, Kabuto wore his typical ear-splitting grin. If I can keep making such good use of Madara, I'll be able to shape this war any way I like. He's an even more valuable piece than I first thought.

As the intertwining roots and vines closed the distance between them with utter destruction in their wake, the lines of fatigue and distraught evaporated from Naruto's face. Then, without an ounce of hesitation, he threw himself into the fray.

"Tajuu Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!"

Dozens of clones — like humanoid shotgun shells — sprang forth from receding billows of smoke, each wearing hardened expressions and wielding a large Rasengan. They launched themselves into the wooden tides like dynamite — a consistent string of explosions shaving away at the dense forestry.

"It's as you said… he's quite something," Madara complimented with a smile, looking down at the Jinchūriki like an object of amusement.

Naruto looked up at the villains who towered over the remnants of his comrades like a dark plague. The had used up the entirety of the Kyūbi's power in one fell swoop. His legs threatened to buckle beneath him — no, his very existence seemed to have been held together by a single thread.

But, so long as his friends were behind him, he would not fade. Nor would he allow his foes the pleasure of his defeat.

"Naruto...," Ōnoki had regained consciousness. "You've done enough; we'll take it from here."

"Tsuchikage-dono," Temari exclaimed. "You're in no state to—"

The man tittered, cutting her off. "The time and place to regain myself is finally here. If that's what I'm fighting for, I'm more than ready."

"That's insane!" the woman retorted. "You've been beaten to a pulp!"

Madara and Kabuto leapt closer, intent and mocking their game before delivering the final crushing move. "There are more techniques I'd like to try, but it doesn't look like you can dance anymore, Ōnoki."

The Tsuchikage sneered at the snide remark.

"Why do you look at me like that?" Madara offered his own well-sculptured sneer. "I thought I'd shown you the gap in power between us long ago."

"We shinobi know battle in our every waking breath. We have fought endlessly for the sake of our nations and villages, and felt no regret as we pillaged the nations and villages of others. We rob and are robbed, then we rob our robbers. As our hatred grew beyond measure, we fought wars not once but thrice."

"That is what it means to live," Madara simply said, his face devoid of any emotion but mockery and disdain. "Can you truly have grown so old and yet learned nothing from suffering in your past?"

"I've lived longer than you," Ōnoki declared as a matter of fact. "And there are a few things I've learned. It's because I have suffered in my past that I can consider what is best to pass on to the future."

"Now... we're in the midst of a fourth war," Kabuto patronized. "Is this the best you've come up with?"

"This war is different!" the man defended solemnly. "This is not a war to steal from each other like in days passed. We are fighting to win something different and new."

Madara looked on in displeasure and utter ridicule.

"Seeing these two — he looked to Gaara aiding an exhausted Naruto — I've come to understand that time is not simply going by. Slowly but surely, the world is growing as it gains more past to draw upon. It is growing towards peace."

Despite his panting breaths, Naruto regarded the man carefully, eager to witness how he would respond to Ōnoki's — no, the world's new consensus, its destination.

Madara folded his arms across his chest, his expression scathing. "The world has no need to grow any more."

Naruto frowned.

"The world is hopeless," Madara drawled. "Let it sleep within the genjutsu of Eternal Tsukuyomi!"

"Long ago, you made me give up on myself," Ōnoki admitted regrettably, even as he unsteadily pushed to his feet with the aid of Dodai. "That is why I'll defeat you, and redeem myself here! You're the one doomed to eternal sleep."

Madara tittered, his chin tilting challengingly. "Oh, so you can still dance?"

"For myself, and for the future, I will defeat you right here!"


Elsewhere, Tsunade was exuding the same level of fiery determination. At headquarters, upon learning of the real Madara and the devastation he had unleashed upon the Fifth Division, the woman was transfixed on joining the fray. The Raikage shared her impatience and zeal, intent on facing off against what they perceived as the ultimate threat.

Noting these latest developments may indeed by the climax of the Fourth Great Ninja War, Shikaku conceded to his superior's wishes to depart. And, thus — along with the Mizukage whose water element would have been effective against that of the Uchiha's fire — all three Kages were simultaneously transported to the battlefield.

And just in nick time, too, for Madara and Kabuto went on the offensive. Before their claws could pierce the throats of their prey, the Raikage and Hokage intervened — landing a solid attack that sent the bastards hurling.

Naruto looked to his side, sensing in advance as a power similar to his own destabilized the space. In the next second, four shinobi appeared — three men forming a ring around the Mizukage. They were former ninjas of the Fourth Hokage's squad and the only living people who knew how to use the Flying Thunder God Technique. But, unlike Naruto and the Fourth, they all needed to combine their powers to perform the taxing jutsu.

"You're all still alive," the Mizukage said quietly. "So it seems we made it in time."

"I can finally go wild!" the Raikage's customary frown deepened. "I thought we'd never get to this part."

"Well, I'm ready," Tsunade asserted.

Gaara said nothing, but Ōnoki grinned for them both. "Looks like it was worth living this long, after all. I never thought the day would come when all five Kage gathered to fight side by side."

"This is perfect," Madara said, having found another lofty summit from which to look down upon the insects. "Any less and the tests would not be worth performing."

Wasting no time, Tsunade disposed herself to healing both Gaara and Ōnoki simultaneously while the Raikage and Mizukage kept Madara preoccupied. A combination of the Lava Element Bloodline Limit and Lightening Enhanced Taijutsu seemed to back the Uchiha into a corner, but the man effortlessly rebounded with a mocking smile, Susanoo's torso providing an impenetrable defense.

Madara's smile vanished when he went on the offensive to test their defense. The blue guardian materialized a head and both arms to launch a fusillade of chakra-forged shuriken at the leaders' dependable healer. A fully recovered Kazekage and Tsuchikage responded with a double-layered golem shield made from a combination of sand and stone.

"This has become a war to protect everyone," Ōnoki said, his stone golem's density reflecting his resolve.

"In that case," Naruto began, his cool, informative tone of voice pulling everyone's attention. "I think we should consider evacuating the Hidden Villages and relocating the Daimyōs."

Everyone regarded the suggestion with sheer absurdity and disbelief. And Naruto attempted to clarify his reasoning. "More so through his actions than words, Madara has proven that he's a master at psychological warfare. I have a feeling he would try and hurt everyone we care about, just to see us suffer."

Before anyone could respond, Madara was on the offensive again. While Gaara kept the menace at bay, Ōnoki was busy communicating a plan to both the Raikage and Mizukage. And the strategy commenced when the woman summoned a thick veil of mist to blanket the entire battlefield.

Concealing Mist? Kabuto thought mentally, finally succeeding in eluding his tenacious pursuers. They must be trying to reduce the Rinnegan's field of vision.

"Let's do it, Raikage," said Ōnoki who was now perched on the man's back.

Kabuto landed like a fly on a horses' backside, sticking close to Madara. Damn you, Tsuchikage... so you've accelerated the Raikage even further by reducing his weight. But that only means that the attack will be light—

BAAMM!

The Raikage disappeared and reappeared in an instant, a perfectly heavy uppercut sending Kabuto hurling into the sky like a rag doll. Any farther and he would have blasted away like Team Rocket.

"Super Rock Weight Technique!"

Ōnoki regulated his powers with a speed and finesse that only he could muster — now the Raikage was throwing a punch at the blue titan. It was unclear whether Madara was just blind to the quick assault or just too confident in his own defense, but the attack hit its mark.

And it was more powerful than he anticipated.

The force, shockwave, and chakra weaved into both energies, propelled through Susanoo like a bullet at close range. It blasted through the chakra-forged torso — shattering ribs and the deity's spinal column, sending it crashing backwards.

"If you guys aren't willing to consider my suggestion —" Naruto continued — "at least heal me so that I can help fight."

Tsunade turned to meet his eyes, her countenance already illustrating her denial. "Naruto... we can't make such a large-scale move based on just a gut feeling. We don't have the time or resources. Besides, we plan to take down Madara before he has the chance to pull anything like that."

"Tsunade-sama is right, Naruto," Gaara concurred, returning with the rest of the Kage while Madara recovered.

"Listen, Naruto," said Ōnoki, hovering weightless through the air. "You know, in the beginning, I joined the Alliance because I had no choice. I desperately needed to defeat Akatsuki. However, after fighting alongside you all, I've come to feel something different. Now, I want to be here as the Tsuchikage of the Shinobi Alliance. I want to change just as the shinobi villages have changed — once many but now allying and coming together as one.

If I can do that, then perhaps even the system of our shinobi world, which has given birth to so much hatred, can change.

Naruto," his voice was now low and sincere. "Leave this Madara to us. We'll do whatever it takes to put an end to this battle. It will be the first step towards ending the curse of hatred for good. It is our responsibility as the people who, just like Madara, spent our lives bringing more hatred into this world.

Don't worry about this battle, and leave it to us." He hovered closer to rest a hand upon the sage's shoulder. "The other Madara we leave to you. It will be the first step towards a new hope for the future."

"Victory against the Madaras," Tsunade contributed. "Both the old and the new, will mean the end of this war. We will protect you on this battlefield. That's why you must fight on the other one and protect us, in return."

Naruto bowed his head and closed his eyes, processing their words.

"These are the words the Five Kage entrusts to you, Clone Naruto…"

"We will win!" they all said in unison.

Naruto tilted his head, oceanic eyes holding the leaders to their word. And then with a nod, he was gone.


Hearts Converge – Love. Hatred. Peace. Revenge!

Elsewhere, another clone accompanied by Bee, spotted a messenger toad fastened to a tree in the canopies. Without slowing his speedy career, Naruto skillfully caught a tiny scroll in passing and quickly skimmed through its contents.

Bee looked on in curiosity.

The two biggest highlights of the message regarded Madara and a request for Iwa-Naruto to find a way to save the citizens that were left sheltering in the hidden villages.

Before the Orange Knight could process the magnitude of this latest revelation, he sensed hostility afoot — one he'd been tracking for the last few kilometers. But the target wasn't moving away. Instead, they were both closing the distance that separated them, and Naruto knew exactly who the bastard was.

The Fake Madara was suddenly in sight. And the man had no intention of stopping, nor did our golden knight. Some deep, grudge-induced impulse had them head-butting each other like a pair of territorial buffalo, their eyes fixed in the epic collision.

But neither of them yielded.

Naruto bounced back onto a limb where Bee was perched, while the fake Madara landed on another.

"Damn, that mask is hard," Naruto grinned coolly, though his eyes harbored nothing but derision.

"I let you pass my guard, but in the end you couldn't even scratch my mask." the man's gaze held nothing but scorn, as well. "The power you gained from controlling the Kyūbi... surely, it can't be something so feeble?"

As if the condescending words were a trigger, six spawns of Edo Tensei descended before their master. But these were no ordinary warriors — no, these were the former Jinchūriki and they each had a Sharingan and Rinnegan etched in their eye.

Naruto and Bee's shock was short lived. Already Roshi — the Four-Tailed Jinchūriki — was spitting lava projectiles as a means of introduction. Following evasive maneuvers, Naruto and Bee rebounded. But their attack was effortlessly reflected by an emotionless Yagura — host of the Three-Tailed Bijuu.

And from there, the combination attacks continued. As our heroes drifted back from the enemy's counter, they found themselves in a field of bubbles that detonated like land mines at Utakata's — the Six-Tailed Jinchūriki's — command.

Bee managed to avoid contact, but Naruto took a blow to the shoulder in an attempt to communicate with the mindless puppet.

TWINKLE!

Something caught Naruto's eye, even as he gathered his bearings. Fu — the Seven-Tailed Jinchūriki — was busy releasing a sparkling dust from her mouth. Then she clapped her hands together to activate her jutsu, a blinding light quickly assaulting her foes.

Capitalizing on their disability, Yugito — the Two-Tailed Jinchūriki — and Han — the Five-Tailed Jinchūriki — quickly moved in together for the kill.

"These sweet shades are my finest aids," Bee wrapped coolly as he expertly wielded his blades to thwart razor sharp finger and toenails on Yugito's part.

"And I can see your hostile intent through any flare," Naruto added, stopping a monstrous fist courtesy of Han.

Having all attempted to incapacitate the Jinchūriki still dwelling in the land of the living, those of Edo Tensei regrouped alongside their master. And Naruto couldn't help but frown at the heartless fiend.

The Jinchūriki, from his experience, have all had to endure great adversaries in their life just because they hosted a source of great calamity. Utakata, in particular, had finally began turning over a new leaf when his journey was cut short.

It wasn't fair.

As his anger simmered from a boil, Naruto overheard Bee and the Hachibi discussing the fact they could have been apart of that vexing lineup — their eyes violated in an effort to weaponize them with the two strongest ocular abilities.

"Madara has done the same to his eyes," Naruto informed, irked that his fellow Jinchūriki had anything in common with the cretin. "His mask is different from before. It's got two eye holes."

"These eyes are specially-made, unlike my old ones," the man announced with a hint of cocksure. "They're a reinforced combat model."

"So the left eye you kept hidden was the Rinnegan, just like what Nagato and the other Madara has."

Naruto's voice was low and unfriendly, and the man's eyes narrowed on a curious note.

"We're going to stop both of you Madaras!"

Both... of us?

The mental utterance evoked a memory. It was the day when Kabuto first approached him with a deal to collaborate in the impending war. And, upon putting a few of his chips on the table — which included all the previous Hokage and Akatsuki members — the masked villain found himself feeling just slightly inclined to accept the snake's offer. But when the real Uchiha Madara turned out to be the ace in the hole, all the man's doubts evaporated like mist to a flame.

Damn you, Kabuto! he cursed inwardly, red and purple eyes burning with absolute outrage and disdain.

"What do you mean both of them, homey?" Bee looked to Naruto curiously. "Isn't this guy Madara, ya dumbass phony?"

The masked phantom chuckled evilly, reeling in both Jinchūriki who were still on the defensive. "Then let me go by Tobi, as I once did. What do names matter now that the war has begun? Madara. Tobi. Call me what you like."

Naruto wasn't enthused, and his eyes narrowed to saffron slits. "Just who are you, you bastard?"

Tobi returned the intensity of his glare. "I am no one. I have no desire to be anyone. All I want is to complete the Eye of the Moon Plan. It's not worth existing in this world that knows nothing but despair.

You Jinchūriki were forced to be host to the Bijuu and have led lives filled with nothing but despair. Is this not so? You, at least, should be able to understand the despair of which I speak."

Naruto slowly pushed to his feet, his scowl never faltering — and the Kyūbi paid particular attention to his hearty response. "It's not your place... to say whether sharing a body with a Bijuu is good or bad."

Bee pushed to his feet, too, a smile tugging his lips.

"You claim to be no one in a worthless world, while starting wars in the middle of it? How do you expect us to understand you with so many lies in the way?" Naruto's fingers curled into a tight fist. "I'm pissed off now. I'll tear that mask off, if it's the last thing I do!"

"Let me take the first shot!" Bee bellowed. "Oh, yeah!"

Tobi palmed his masked face darkly, his voice slow and malicious. "If you want to tear off this mask... be prepared" — all the enslaved Jinchūriki began sprouting a single tail of their Bijuu's power — "to work your hands to the bone."

Bee yelped, his once zealous flair withering. But Naruto kept his decorum about him, power seething beneath his skin in his sheer impatience to drive the fiend into the ground.

Tobi wasn't deterred.

Veins branched out like roots in widened eyes as the man regarded his foes as a mere means to an end. "Hachibi. Kyūbi. Once you're mine, the Eye of the Moon Plan will be as good as complete!"

"You're not getting your hands on either of them," Naruto refuted hotly, his arm flashing out like a whip.

What's going on? Bee asked the Hachibi. Those guys are supposed to be Bijuu-free...

Maybe they were turned into Jinchūriki again, after they were brought back. I "am" sensing something off about the Bijuu. Be careful, Bee.

The massive, organic sword on his back purred in what could only be described as a battle cry — and it reverberated through Bee's chest, in turn. "Samehada's raring to go! All right! Then let's give them a real show! Let's fight!"

Biting down on the hilt of one of his many pointed swords, the taffy-colored shinobi threw himself into the fray despite Naruto's cautious call.

With transparent wings mounted upon her back akin to that of a fairy's, Fu flew out from the canopy of the trees to greet him, multicolored eyes radiating nothing but blood lust.

WOOSH!

Bee brought down Samehada like it weighed no more than a piece of paper. She's got great moves, he complimented inwardly as the fairy flew upwards to evade impact. But, as if he anticipated her tactical retreat, Bee was already throwing the monstrous weapon at the now stilled foe in a follow-up attack.

Samehada's body suddenly inflated like a puffer fish, its shark-like maw splitting open to mince both flesh and bone. But, again, the fairy managed to flee, her trajectory well within Bee's calculations once more. Still in motion, her back turned, a lightening-imbued sword homed in at the back of her head.

OK — she missed it — KO! Bee rapped his assured victory.

But, suddenly, inexplicably, Fu ducked, the blade narrowly missing her cranium.

Having quickly changed locations mid attack, Bee almost appeared spouting from a tree chunk as he launched another decisive assault. But five well-trained eyes equipped with the Rinnegan had their sights on the projectile and, again, it missed its mark by mere inches.

Bee was flabbergasted. How'd ya dodge it without seeing it, ya dumbass phony?

"Octopops! We can't take them on like this," Naruto informed critically, landing on a limb above his rattled companion. "This is just like the Six Paths of Pain I once fought. Their eyes are all connected by the Rinnegan."

"What do you mean?" Bee was still confused.

"This is the same Outer Path Technique that Nagato used — meaning, their six separate fields of view are combined — damn, they're not even giving me a second to—"

Sporting a cloak wrapped in lava, Roshi launched himself at Naruto like a missile. Bolstering his own cloak, the Orange Knight braced for an explosive impact that gashed sparks. It was like two swords clashing. But this wasn't a one-on-one battle; another Jinchūriki was poising for an attack.

Oh man, Yugito's mouse fireballs! Bee exclaimed as the female Jinchūriki fired off a volley of flames in their direction.

Grabbing Naruto with a tentacle, Bee launched himself from the tree, escaping the blue projectiles by the hair of his chin. But they detonated like fireworks, raining down a fusillade of flames at the fleeing duo.

"They're chasing us!" Naruto stated the obvious as the blasts weaved in and out, destroying everything around them.

"They're being guided by her will!" Bee enlightened, though his energy was focused on evading the tenacious projectiles. "We'll get away with my epic skill!"

But Yugito wasn't just about to let that happen. Making use of the agility gifted to her by the single tail of her Bijuu, the woman elongated her nails and gave chase. She intersected her prey like an assassin — one-hit-kill, but Bee was able to deflect the attack and hid amidst the brush while the echo of their clash still rung out in the air.

Yugito's movements aren't how I remember them, Bee whispered mentally, remaining perfectly still alongside his glowing companion. What a surprise! My expensive scarf's cut in half. Does that mean it's half price? he lamented, cupping the jagged end of the white fabric.

Clinging to a tree chunk, Yugito looked around with an emotionless mask, her Edo Tensei allies doing the same.

The problem's their Sharingan, the Hachibi deduced. It lets them see even the tiniest detail of our movements. Their Jinchūriki abilities have been boosted by the scale of the ocular powers they've gained. Plus, the shared field of view lets them track each other's locations and time their attacks to support each other.

Bee, let me talk to Naruto!

"Yo!" he called, bringing the teenager's attention to a raised fist, which he pumped without question, understanding the silent gesture.

Naruto, the Hachibi began, establishing a direct mental link through the physical connection. The bastards are milking their combined Bijuu and ocular powers for all they're worth. And they're bound to find our hiding place. What do we do?

We've got no choice but to take the six Jinchūriki out one by one, Naruto informed coolly. If the system is the same as with Nagato, then they're all being controlled through chakra. Back then, they all had black transmitters piercing bits of their bodies in order to convey the technique.

I see, the Hachibi's frown deepened. So if we pull them out or break them, the Outer Path Technique should be dispelled. But that's going to be rough, he figured, remembering how effortlessly Bee missed his mark earlier. How do we even pinpoint where on their bodies these black transmitters are?

Is that one? Bee murmured, his eyes focusing through his dark shades.

Where? The Hachibi poked his head forward.

I was studying Yugito's breasts in great detail, he said in a melodious rap while sitting crossed-legged on the Bijuu's nose. Then I saw something black within her skin so pale. At first, I thought it was damage from overu—

The Hachibi smacked his obnoxious host with an index finger. Then they all turned their attention back to Yugito in time to note as the small gash from Bee's previous encounter heal — her repairing blouse slowly concealing creamy breasts and the metal rod hidden between them.

By this point, the pervert was rocking from side-to-side like an exuberant child, a sultry smile stretching his thick lips. I get bored when all's revealed, but there's no turn-on like the half-concealed.

The Hachibi regarded the man wearily. This is a battle to decide the fate of the world and that's what you obsess over?

There it is! Naruto exclaimed, ignoring the drama unfolding beside him. But his eyes fixated where Bee's lingered. "I'd better check the others, too."

Naruto, wait!

The Hachibi's voice didn't get through. Our hero was already one with the wind, but his re-emergence didn't go unnoticed. Sharing Yugito's point of view, Roshi launched himself forward, being the closer one to the incoming Jinchūriki. Then they clashed — the man's brilliant cloak rivaling that of Naruto's.

Shielding against the synthetic lava with a pair of chakra-forged arms, Naruto charged a Rasengan in his free hand and began shaving away at the man's cloak and garb, revealing the dark metal transmitter wedged in his chest.

So they may all be in the same place, after all, Naruto surmised, increasing the rotation of the projectile that promptly cracked the transmitter.

But Tobi was watching, multicolored eyes shrewd and decisive. In the same beat, Han was suddenly on the scene with a dropkick. Naruto had his guard up. But, despite having a supportive tentacle wrapped around him courtesy of Bee, the impact had them both barreling backward and smashing into a wall of tree and stone.

"Ouch," Naruto drawled, sprawled out on his back.

"Did he run from a mile away?" Bee didn't even attempt to rhyme this time.

You two all right? the Hachibi was concerned. Against these guys, fighting in the forest puts us at a disadvantage. All it does is restrict your line of sight. Do you get me, Bee?

With a cool comeback, the Jinchūriki's skin began doing a quick peel.

Blow this whole damn forest away!

Noting the surge in power, Tobi made a tactical retreat and perched himself at the highest peak of the largest tree. And not a moment too soon. From his bird's-eye view, he watched as the taffy-colored shinobi morphed into a mountainous beast sporting the torso of a bull and the lower half of an octopus.

The creature — a symbiotic fusion between man and Bijuu — gave a boisterous roar and the forest seemed to tremble in reverence. As multiple tentacles slithered and undulated, effortlessly changing the landscape, Tobi stood motionless, unimpressed.

Make sure you don't get thrown off, Naruto, Bee warned, dropping him onto the Bijuu's nose. I'm about to let loose with my full wrath!

Coiling its giant tails around its body, like an armored cocoon, the beast began spinning like a top. The fierce momentum evoked a twister that uprooted trees and leveled the earth while, at the same time, swallowing the defenseless corpses of Edo Tensei.

Moments passed, and the Hachibi finally slowed to an halt. Between the tentacles, a dense wall of dust was all Naruto could see, but now, an expansive crater spanning for miles filled his field of vision.

Switching from sight to sensory, Naruto's head snapped to the left like it was mounted atop a swivel. With a whip of his arm and a spell of wind-natured magic, the dust swept away from the barren terrain, revealing the motionless Jinchūriki.

But Tobi was nowhere to be seen.

Now's our chance to seal them, Bee! the Hachibi encouraged urgently.

"You have a sealing technique, Octopops?" Naruto was surprised.

Doesn't matter if they're controlled by special rods or whatever, the Bijuu continued. We can use ink clones for the Solidifying Swastika.

"Sealing Technique: Octopus Hold!"

Ink spewed from the beast's mouth quickly morphed into humanoid reflections of their master. With silent footsteps, they darted toward their targets. The corpses attempted to retaliate, but the dark phantoms immobilized them with a grappling technique.

Naruto's eyes narrowed.

This is one of Bee's sealing techniques, the Hachibi informed confidently. Now you just count to three. After three seconds, the ink will envelop the entire body and solidify, holding them in place. Once they're paralyzed, you're free to pull the rods out.

That's what the Bijuu said, but on the three-minute-mark, all the corpses unleashed their power at the behest of the puppet master.

A blood-red husk, swaying tails, razor sharp claws and a white void that illustrated their jaws and eyes — the Version Two soldiers brandished their toxic forms as their elusive leader slipped from beneath the ground.

"Go." He ordered coolly.

And the Tailed Beasts took off like missiles — launching themselves at the titanic cephalopod despite the flexible tentacles that threatened to crush them into oblivion.

"That masked bastard," Naruto scoffed. "So he was hiding underground."

SQUEEZE!

Bee finally caught one — the Sixth-Tail being crushed between large fingers and palm. But the creature quickly expelled a noxious chemical that allowed it to easily slip from the titan's destructive grip.

Aargh! This is a powerful alkali! the Hachibi couldn't help but unfurl its fingers in distress. It's melting my skin!

"Octopops!" Naruto exclaimed.

But he had no time to be worrying about someone else. The enemy had, by no means, excluded him from the frenzy — and Naruto immediately switched to combat mode the moment he sensed geared hostility closing in around him.

In the next instant, he was ambushed by a pincer attack, which he successfully parried. But Yagura managed to find that slim window of opportunity to sneak up behind him for a stealthy attack.

"Coral Fist!"

Dammit! Naruto cursed his carelessness.

The hit to his back was cushioned by his cloak, but he was a little bit disconcerted about the literal coral that sprouted in the spot, almost like his very own shell. The formation was in such an annoying spot that he found it very difficult to perceive the nature of the mass much less to be rid of it. And that moment of hesitation was all that the enemy needed to spring another surprise attack.

The previous assault launching him from the Bijuu's head, Roshi — situated at ground-level — sent a towering explosion of lava to meet and engulf the helpless shinobi.

Without even considering his own safety, Bee – still in Bijuu Form — reached in to scoop up his brother at the expense of having his hands exposed to the seething stew. Sweating bullets, he ignored the pang of pain that shot throughout his body and attentively closed his massive fingers over Naruto, ensuring the shinobi didn't get a lungful of the toxic fumes.

This is bad, the Hachibi grimaced. I had no idea they could take Bijuu Form after all that's happened to them. Naruto, we need to withdraw and rethink our strategy.

But the enemy wasn't about to let that happen. Assuming said form — a reflection of the Hachibi's gargantuan size — the Five-Tail burst through Roshi's lava in a speedy gallop and rammed its horns into the Bijuu's biceps. The force was strong enough to send the creature crashing into the outer slope of the crater.

Tobi's elation couldn't be witnessed behind his mask, but a delightful chuckle bubbled up in his throat as he covered the distance between him and a trapped Naruto.

Noting the approaching danger, the Orange Knight struggled to find his bearings. But the coral had wedged itself into the flesh of the Hachibi's palm during the skirmish, preventing him from regaining his footing.

Tobi descended like a hawk upon a defenseless rabbit, his fingers poised like lethal talons to rob the Jinchūriki of all he was worth.

WHOOSH!

Naruto shot out a chakra-forged arm at the bastard, but the man nimbly evaded.

"Six-to-two is poor odds even between Jinchūriki," he stated in a smog tone, a gloved-hand descending towards our hero's face like a black plague. "Once this hand touches you, I win."

The hand inched closer.

Naruto snarled, his back pinned.

Time slowed as Tobi's hand cast a bleak shadow over wide saffron eyes. And strong, firm fingers curled to cup the contorts of Naruto's face.

But then...

"Strike!" a familiar voice uttered heartily, even as a lightening fast kick slipped through Tobi's head. In the same beat, a masked shinobi swooped in and stole the Jinchūriki before making a hasty retreat.

Re-solidifying himself, Tobi gazed down onto his empty palm for a while, his expression hidden behind his mask. "So you used Naruto as bait to predict the exact moment I'd materialize. Must everyone get in my way?"

"Kakashi-sensei. Fuzzier Brow-sensei," Naruto greeted ecstatically, gazing up at his seniors from his rump.

"Hmph," Tobi scoffed, his back turned. "Two more insects will make no difference to me. Not before my ocular powers or the power of the Bijuu I command."

"We have our own Sharingan," Kakashi retorted calmly.

"Not to mention Konoha's Proud Green Beast," Gai added with a similar flair.

Tobi gazed down at the Konoha shinobi with multicolored eyes that gleamed with irrefutable derision. But their spirits didn't falter, and Naruto relished the heightened morale the Jōnin brought to the floor.

"I appreciate you guys coming to help," he said, a flexible chakra arm brandishing a Rasengan and destroying the coral fastened to his back.

"I can't just sit back and rest while one of my Team Seven students is throwing himself against impossible odds," Kakashi returned coolly.

"And it's not just us," Gai began with far too much glee. "Thanks to your clones, all the divisions should be wrapping up and splitting their forces between aiding you and the Kages."

Naruto allowed a smile as he pushed to his feet with renewed composure. With the aid of his clones, he figured the alliance would be cleaning up loose ends right about now. But, in all honesty, he wanted to finish off both Madaras before the shinobi could be exposed to anymore casualties.

The big question was: how does one defeat this impostor? Naruto knew he would have to eventually deal with the Uchiha, but he hadn't yet figured out how to get around his ability to manipulate his body's opacity.


Meanwhile Naruto stewed on this shortcoming, Sasuke, on the contrary, was basking in the fruits of a successful surgery.

Without hesitation or a tinge of remorse, he manipulated his Susanoo to stave a chakra-forged blade through a tenacious Zetsu who would dare impede his path. Engulfing the abomination in black flames, the vengeful Uchiha unraveled the bandages from his face and blinked opened a pair of new eyes sporting his magnificently designed Mangekyō Sharingan.

The last time he met Naruto, the sage's power had him quivering in fear — but now, at long last, he had surpassed every single shinobi to roam the earth. And with the overwhelming power that now coursed through his veins, he was eager to prove the truth of that throughout the glorious course of his revenge.


"Hinata...," Naruto said, his velvety voice below a whisper as he gently cupped her healing hand. "You've... done enough."

The princess pursed her lips in quiet defiance. But she held her tongue out of fear her voice may worsen his delicate state of being.

"The final phase of this war has began," he explained softly, oceanic eyes half-lidded. "I want you to go and protect everyone in my stead."

Her eyes quivered worrisomely.

"You've done enough," he reassured sweetly with a strained smile. "All I need now is some rest. Once my spirit gauge is back to a hundred percent, I'll come running back into your arms."

She couldn't help but chuckle at his geeky analogy, her merry laugh spreading to his own lips.

"Be sure to leave some of Madara for me, too; I want to plant my foot up his ass, all the way to the knee."

"Eww!" Hinata cringed with a laugh.

Moments later, Naruto's eyes suddenly hardened into gems. "Be careful. I know you're way stronger now, but try not to put yourself in any unnecessary danger."

The girl's eyes softened at his show of affection. And she leaned in to gently press her forehead against his own. "I promise to stay safe... both of us."

The bedridden sage allowed his eyes to flutter close, the cool, therapeutic-like energy from her skin permeating throughout his body like a reassuringly slave.

Pushing to her feet, the Hyūga princess allowed her shoulders to sag and she took a meditative breath, donning her warrior spirit.

Naruto looked on in a mixture of awe and veneration, intrigued by the various facets of energy that radiated from her body like a distant star in the cosmos.

It was of the divine.

Her power whispered of a selfless and righteous need to heal and empower. It was both beautiful and heartbreaking — and amidst its tender caress, Naruto found peace and clarity. There was absolutely no need to worry.

"Should I have a clone teleport—"

"That won't be necessary," she interjected curtly, effortlessly summoning a large wolf wrought of ice and water — its ankles, mane and tail accentuated with blue chakra that danced like flames. "You should save your strength."

Naruto heaved an impressed smile at her stern show of affection and independence.

The princess tilted her chin.

Becoming one with the wind — every fiber of her being screaming with conviction — Hinata's familiar whisked her off toward the masterminds who threatened to steal away everything that she held dear.

But, even upon her dying breath, she was determined to overcome all odds to ensure her beloved and their friends continued to draw breath in the world where all their memories were weaved together.


Gyūki's Trial & Kurama's Observation

Without missing a beat, Naruto quickly launched into a brief summary of how the link between the Rinnegan and Sharingan interconnected the Jinchūriki similar to Nagato's Six Paths. No sooner had he disclosed the location of the iron rods on the bodies of the corpses, than the earth began to quake.

It was the Five-Tails, galloping toward them with a fierce look in its eyes.

"Brace yourselves!" Naruto warned.

"Five tails," Kakashi counted. "It's the Five-Tailed Bijuu!"

Locking onto its target with a malicious gaze, the quadrupedal-based Bijuu increased its velocity and then leapt into a high arch while Kakashi studied its trajectory.

"It must be after the Hachibi."

"Sorry, Eighty," Bee apologized in their shared mindscape. "You all right?"

We feel the same pain, duh, the beast retorted. You're the one I'm worried about.

The Five-Tails, however, felt neither care or concern. Disdain coursed through its veins like acid. And the beast descended upon its master like a nuke, intent on trampling the bastard into a bloody mess.

Tobi simply raised his hand, manifesting a large, translucent chain that tightly wound around the creature's neck in a bruising grip. Like a heartless tamer, the Uchiha proceeded to whip the chain — throwing the helpless Bijuu into the ground.

Kakashi was bewildered. Did it just try to attack him?

Through the creature's pained shrill, Naruto heard a soft, ghostly voice play in his mind. It hurts, the voice lingered between grief and exasperation. It hurts that I should serve such an insect...

As if responding to the somber voice, the Hachibi suddenly summoned strength to clasp its fingers into a tight fist, crushing the puppet master who still stood in the center of its palm.

"Did he get him?" Gai looked on in wonder.

But Tobi nonchalantly ambled from the steely fist as if it was nothing but an apparition, exercising his powers to revert the rebellious Five-Tails back to its Version Two form.

"Why is he suppressing the Bijuu's power?" Gai pondered aloud, even as he reinstated his defensive stance.

"I don't know," Kakashi shook his head. "But it seems he doesn't have complete control over them. That might be why."

Rendered back to his humanoid size, Han stood on all fours before his master — a quiet subservience returning to the Jinchūriki's posture. And the other pawns descended in a proverbial salute, garbed in their blood red cloaks of chakra.

Hey, did you hear that, Naruto? Bee asked telepathically. There was a voice just now...

...I heard it, too, the sage returned in a daze, saffron eyes gleaming with sheer inquisitiveness.

The Hachibi managed to roll over onto its stomach, body riddled with burns and bruises. That was a Bijuu, the beast enlightened breathlessly. It was the Five-Tail's voice. We Bijuu have feelings, too. Watching one of us getting treated that way would throw anyone into a blind rage.

Keh! the Kyūbi clicked its tongue flippantly, a relaxed head resting on crossed arms. You only understand this now? This has always been the way of the shinobi who make us their pets. You and that Bee brat are the only exceptions, Hachibi.

Heh! I wonder about that, Kyūbi.

Naruto grinned amusingly. I didn't know you guys could communicate like this, too.

I understand, Kyūbi, the Hachibi began. You're—

Cease your blubbering! the Kyūbi snapped. With your eight tails, you're supposed to be the next strongest after me, you know. Hurry up and kill them. I want to sleep.

Don't assume the number of tails tells you how strong someone is! the Hachibi returned just as hotly. You've always been like this. That's why the tanuki, One-Tail, hates you so much. Are you listening, damn it?!

The Kyūbi was fast asleep.

Stop pretending to be asleep, you fool!

Naruto laughed softly, a gesture that was completely out of place considering. The Hachibi and Kyūbi are arguing. Man, this is a hell'va treat.

Bijuu can talk to each other through telepathy, Bee explained. It's pretty rare, but a sweet sight to see.

"Look alive, Naruto," Kakashi jostled, noting his spasms in focus. "The first thing we've got to do is establish which one of them has which Pain technique. Got it, Gai?"

"I'm bad with faces, so these guys all look the same to me."

Naruto's eyes narrowed in deliberation. It's kind of weird that none of the Jinchūriki used any of Nagato's techniques while Octopops and I were fighting them before. I'm sure there were more than enough instances when it would've been ideal...

The shrill of Kakashi's Chidori rooted the pensive sage back to reality in time to see as both men bolted toward a black and red wall painted by the incoming Jinchūriki. With a swift combination of hand-to-hand combat and ninjutsu, both prodigies were able to drive back three of the progressing calamities.

"Three of them are heading toward you, Naruto!" Gai exclaimed as he used the sixth gate to plant his sandals into Fu's jaw, sending her streaking across the sky like a meteor shower.

Naruto's feet spread wide apart, his back arching in his battle-readiness. I really don't want to do this, but I have to seriously hammer these guys into the ground before I can get to Tobi.

Fashioning his hand into the form of a pistol, the sage fired off two consecutive rounds of condensed droplets at blinding speed. The water-based projectiles hit two of the incoming beasts underneath the chin — dealing major damage and stunning them momentarily.

In the next instant, Naruto appeared in front of the third beast in a flash, a calculating right hook sending the Jinchūriki hurling into the disoriented pair. They all crashed into the ground like knocked over bowling pins.

But Naruto wasn't through.

"Mini-Rasenshuriken."

The tiny orb flew harmlessly from his fingertip, warranting no caution. But the beasts gave a high-pitched roar when they finally noted its actual threat, and their bottomless eyes dilated when a powerful explosion swallowed them whole.

Kakashi fearlessly charged the Seven-Tails, lightening augmenting his fists. Chakra absorption. Summoning. Attraction and repulsion. Chakra extraction. Mechanical weapons — what's going on? he frowned his confusion. They're not using a single one of them!

Employing the use of its own Sharingan, the creature dodged the man's attack — swift, flexible tails knocking both him and Gai out of bounds.

"What is this?" Gai shared his rival's confusion. "They're not using Pain's techniques!"

"Maybe they can't use them," Kakashi entertained the possibility.

"He knows we already have counters to Pain's techniques. Does this mean he was smart enough to make them incapable of expending chakra on those techniques?"

"Given that he can fully control six Bijuu with his eyes alone, he must be using vast amounts of chakra already."

"You and I are on the same wavelength, Kakashi-sensei." Naruto called.

"Hatake Kakashi," Tobi wasn't enthused. "You have excellent eyes that see through my tricks," his expression hardened darkly behind his mask. "Perhaps it's time I showed off a little."

The man's sentence ended on a shockwave — his exertion of power rippling outwards like an explosion. But this wasn't merely a show of power or to incite intimidation — no, the Four and Six-Tailed Jinchūriki resonated with the man's power. And a boisterous roar split from their jaws as the silent command took root despite their attempted mutiny.

BOOOM!

Roshi and Utakata seemed to burst like an over-inflated balloon, their respective Bijuu spilling forth with tailored furry, the landscape changing as gravity adjusted the weight of the titanic beasts.

"Wind Release: Cycle Shield!"

Quick on the uptake, Naruto erected an invisible wall forged of wind, mitigating the shockwave that sent earth and bedrock launching in all directions.

"Shit!" he swore beneath his breath, knelt atop the Hachibi's torso. "Too bad I can't use my clones has a diversion to take out that bastard!"

"Don't even think of using the Kyūbi's chakra for more clones," Bee warned sternly. "If the Kyūbi consumes your chakra, you'll really die — it'll be K.O. Your optimism's nice, but that plan's a no-go!"

Haven't you noticed yet, Bee, the Hachibi hinted. I know you bumped fists with him. With that many clones, he should have been at death's door ages ago. He's not, which means the Kyūbi stopped absorbing his chakra midway through.

Isn't that right, Kyūbi?

The Nine-Tailed fox ignored both him and the question.

Though I've no idea what happened between the two of you, the Hachibi relented.

The oversized canine remained indifferent, a large head comfortably resting upon crossed arms. As the Bijuu silently attempted to vanquish the subject from its mind, a treacherous flashback took root and rehashed a memory behind closed eyelids. It was the faithful day Naruto had took hold of its power and claimed it has his own:

— "Hey, Kyūbi... you know... one day," his smile was warm, stretching from ear-to-ear. "I reckon I'll manage to do something about the hatred inside you, too."

Naruto hung his head, his smile suddenly glum. "It's ironic that, I've been living with the Kyūbi for sixteen years and yet, I don't really know anything about him. On the other hand, he knows almost everything about me."

— "It's not your place to say whether sharing a body with a Bijuu is good or bad," Naruto had snapped at Tobi's snide remark.

The Kyūbi couldn't suppress the memories that had keep rising up one after the next, like a very annoying domino effect. The Bijuu was stubborn, but it understood surprisingly well that this was the very last chapter in the grand scheme of things. The decision it made on this day could very well dictate the outcome of this relentless war between the forces of good and evil. But where did the Bijuu stand amidst all this madness? Were they mere steppingstones to be cast to the wayside once all was said and done?


Tilting an elongated head back — its body akin to that of a slug — the Six-Tails leaned forward with a deep breath, spewing a blanket of toxic fumes at the Jōnin who was increasingly becoming a thorn in the puppet master's side.

"What is this?" Gai exclaimed nervously.

"Whatever it is, don't let it touch you!" Kakashi warned gravely, inching backwards.

While Naruto was momentarily distracted by the adult's dilemma, the Four-Tailed Bijuu opted for a preemptive strike. Bearing the characteristics of a gorilla, the beast used its opposable thumbs to grab ahold of the Hachibi's tail. Summoning its strength, the ape swung the creature skyward, as if it weighed no more than a tree branch.

Loosing his grip, our hero found himself hurling from the partner and on a sure trajectory into the primate's mouth. Powerful teeth threatened to crush and imprison the Golden Warrior. But Naruto used his arms and legs to prop the creature's jaws open, deliberating a means of escape.

All the while, the Kyūbi had one eye half open, assessing the Jinchūriki's desperate struggle. But nothing had changed — Naruto was once again fighting a megalomaniac whose ideology outweighed humanity's interpretation of what is morally right and sound. Once again, it was a fight for humans, among humans.

The pink miasma continued to spread, laying waste to anything it touched. And Gai and Kakashi kept withdrawing with calculating steps.

"Naruto!" Gai called suddenly, noting the teenager's predicament. "We've got to help him!"

"Gai! Deal with this first!" Kakashi implored sternly, hinting at their six. "We've got our own problems right now!"

"We're surrounded!" he realized, looking behind them as instructed.

The Six-Tails had effectively caught them in a surprise pincer attack, perfectly sown chakra-arms emerging from the ground like a deadly bean stalk.

Kakashi turned to face the dangerous appendages, one crimson eye burning between his face mask and forehead protector. This will cost a worrying amount of chakra, but I've got no choice.

"Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!"

He spawned a clone next to him.

"Gai! Let's thrust our backs to each other and focus on the enemy in front. Objections?"

"None!" he replied firmly, his body suddenly engulfed in a blue aura.

Then the warriors rushed off toward their respective foe. Kakashi skillfully coordinated with his clone to create an interconnected charge of lightning. The line between them acted as a lethal blade that effortlessly cut through the Jinchūriki's chakra-forged arms. Gai, at the same time, used the shockwave from a flurry of punches to disperse the looming fumes that threatened to devour them both.

Kakashi frowned, his sights now fixed on the source from which the arms sprouted. "Let's wrap this up quickly so that we can back Naruto up!"

"You got it!"

Attempting to play out its own rescue, the Hachibi coiled its tails around the tenacious primate, one wrapping around a fang in an effort to help pry its jaws open. Let Naruto go, you dumb monkey!

The Nine-Tailed Fox continued to watch with an aloof disposition.

Kyūbi, the Hachibi invaded his mind, calm despite the perilous situation they were all in. Seems like you lent your power to one of the clones fighting the other Madara. You know, if you feel like it, it wouldn't kill you to do the same over here.

I'm not like you, Hachibi, the Kyūbi's voice quaked with annoyance. I will not wag my tails like an obedient dog before the Jinchūriki time and again.

Don't you care about what happens to Naruto?

The fox considered that for a while, dark memories seeping through the cracks of its mental vault.

— "Kyūbi," Madara's voice was laced with derision. "Right now, you are but an ephemeral form, briefly bound together. A mere fraction of your scattered true strength."

"Silence!"

"You lack wisdom; you're simply a mass of unstable power."

"Silence!" the Kyūbi's fury seethed beneath skin and fur.

"You need one who will give you direction — one who is Uchiha! You Bijuu exist only to serve those of us with ocular powers."

"Be silent!"

"Obey," the man uttered, evoking a jutsu.

— "Kyūbi... your power is too vast," Hashirama said calmly. "Forgive me, but I cannot leave you to your own devices."

Everything humans say..., the Bijuu's eyes hardened with absolute disdain.

— "You and I both have terrible luck, that's for sure," Kushina said remorsefully. "You exist to restrain the world from war, and I exist to restrain you from violence."

The Kyūbi's eyes shook dangerously. It's always the same thing...

So this time it's a mere baby? To hell with you, shinobi scum! Doesn't matter. He'll be just like the others.

— "Hey, Kyūbi... you know... one day," his smile was warm, stretching from ear-to-ear. "I reckon I'll manage to do something about the hatred inside you, too."

The Bijuu lay motionless inside its prison, Naruto's words replaying inside its mind like a broken record. His words weren't demoralizing or demeaning like those of the others, but it wasn't selfless, either. Surely he stood to gain something from suppressing the Kyūbi's malevolent will — and this reasoning was based upon a singular truth: Naruto was human.

The Four-Tails suddenly opening its jaws rendered the shinobi unbalanced, sending him spiraling down hopelessly into the creature's throat. And the primate wasted no time snapping its mouth shut, a double row of teeth akin to the tightly kit bars of a prison cell keeping its prey secured.

The Hachibi's worrisome howl rang in Naruto's ears as he slipped down the bottomless pit. But the Bijuu's voice was gradually consumed by the darkness, as was Naruto's consciousness.

Moments passed, and the sage found himself drifting to wakefulness by the soft lull of running water. Immediately recalling the last series of events up to this point, Naruto's eyes popped open despairingly. But years of discipline curbed the urge to scream and panic — instead, he took a moment to cautiously appraise his surroundings.

Before our Orange Knight was a replica of the giant gorilla that terrorized both him and the Hachibi. But this beast was quiet and well-behaved, which could have been largely attributed to the fact that it was bound to its knees by powerful chains and held fast to a stoned wall that was more than twice its impressive size.

Naruto took a deep breath.

Calming his nerves made it easier to note that this world emanated the same wavelength as the one in which the Kyūbi and Hachibi existed. He must have subconsciously established a connection when he got gobbled up by the beast.

So you're the one who's next in line to take my power, the Four-Tails said by means of introduction. To think you'd have the nerve to worm your way in here, you damn brat!

"This must be the Yonbi," Naruto said with a hint of surprise, slowly pushing to his feet.

Don't call me by that worthless title! the Bijuu snapped. I have a real name. I am the Handsome Monkey King of the Water Curtain Cave! I am the Monkey Sage King, given the title of Son by the Rikudō Sennin himself! I am the Great Sage that rivals the heavens, Son Goku!

It gave a loud, animalistic howl.

Naruto stood dumbfounded, his nonchalance seeping away like a deflating balloon. "U-Um," he stuttered. "So which part in all of that is your name?"

Son Goku! the beast shouted derisively. Keh! You humans really are all fools. You can't even remember a simple name. You're worse than monkeys. There's no way I'd give my power to the likes of—

"It's nuts just how similar this place is to the Kyūbi's," Naruto pondered, intrigued.

A vein popped in Goku's head. Listen to me when I speak, you silly child! First you barely paid attention to my glorious name, and now you dare ignore me? There are no words for your insolence!

"No! I just...," Naruto grinned awkwardly. "I'm sorry."

The Bijuu frowned wondrously at the unexpected apology, assessing the curious human who stood before it. And the words that now left its mouth were soft and free of contempt. You know, you're oddly humble for a human. I've never heard of anyone apologizing to a Bijuu before. Anyway, it seems you didn't come here to take my power, after all.

His gaze lowered to Naruto's belly, where Goku could sense the presence of one amongst its kin. You have one of us within you. Is that how you were able to come here? Looks like Kurama enjoys being a pet to a Jinchūriki.

"Kurama?"

You snot! Goku snapped again. You'd serve as the Kyūbi's Jinchūriki without even knowing his real name? This is why you humans are so pathetic!

Naruto chuckled, a hand pressed to his stomach. "So your name is Kurama, too, huh — kinda figured as much."

Kurama clicked his tongue flippantly.

You humans see us as nothing but power, Goku accused. That's why you don't know our names, and don't even try to find out. You lock us away and deny us the right to exist.

Naruto hung his head with a glum smile, unwelcome memories bubbling up in his mind that seemed to touch the Bijuu's heart, in turn.

"I sort of get how you feel," his eyes quivered sadly. "I used to play a lot of pranks; I wanted people to yell at me. Anything would do if it drew someone's attention to me. Better that than not existing at all.

I'm a Jinchūriki.

But I have my own name, and it's precious to me. It's the legacy of my parents and master," he grinned warmly, but it was short lived as the imagine of Tobi hardened in his mind. "That's why... a man who claims not to care about being anyone... is not a man I can ever let control you!"

Goku allowed the boy's words to wash over him, but he didn't drink of it. In that case, what would "you" do with us?

Naruto patted the back of his head embarrassingly and heaved an honest smile. "Octopops... I want you to be like Octopops and the Hachibi."

Huh? Goku tilted his head.

"They joke around, they fight, they cheer each other on. They'll never say it out loud, but you can tell when you look at them. They are very good friends." Naruto hung his head, his smile now bittersweet. "And... there's something they've always made me feel. I'm so jealous it hurts."

Goku laughed aloud. Don't tell me a human like you seriously wants to be friends with a Bijuu?

Naruto's brows descended above oceanic eyes that burned with solemn conviction. And the Bijuu ceased his guffaw to study the unwavering flame.

He's... serious about it, Goku uttered inwardly.

And Kurama listened intently, but said nothing.

"That's why I want to help you, Son Goku," Naruto continued with a friendly grin.

Well, you've been eaten. So now what?

Naruto allowed his shoulders to sag, and then he cupped his chin in deliberation. In the same beat, Goku decided to confide in Naruto if he had to choose between him and the masked puppet master.

There is a way to stop me, the Bijuu offered with a lopsided grin. I wouldn't mind telling you in exchange for you undoing these chains.

Naruto shared his amusement. "I'm on it! Just tell me what to do."

First — the Bijuu's tone was a bit more hardened and aloof — I take it as a rule not to trust Jinchūriki. That goes double for fools who would be friends with a Bijuu. In short, don't assume I'm on your side just because I've condescended to help you.

The Kyūbi lay motionless in its cage, paying keen attention to the interaction between the two. Indeed, he greed mentally, sharing the sentiments of its kin. That is the natural response. For all that they have no power to speak of, they force us to bow to their selfish reasoning, and bind us against our will.

The bitter memories of isolation and rejection invaded the Bijuu's mind again, like a leaking facet that couldn't be silenced or fixed. As every fiber of its being convulsed and ached at the indignation of its past experiences with humans, the beast couldn't help but reminisce about where its latest predicament began.

Sixteen years ago, a series of events transpired that let to the Kyūbi being sealed inside a baby Naruto. There was no interval — no sooner had it been freed from one Jinchūriki, than it was sealed within another. But the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox was not deterred.

Studying the complexity of the Eight Trigrams Seal, it quickly hatched a plan to have Naruto become aware of its presence and develop a dependency upon its chakra. That way, the seal would inevitably weaken and its dark will would have more of an influence over the youth.

Everything went according to plan, but only up to a certain point. As much as the Kyūbi had been watching the youngster throughout his life, the creature didn't predict he would be such an anomaly. And a powerful one at that.

Instead of crushing the brat and taking all that he was worth, the tables were swiftly turned and the Bijuu ended up being the one to lose everything.

In a quiet corner of its mind, the Kyūbi knew that Naruto was both righteous and tenacious. Lady luck and faith seemingly kept intervening in the course of his life. But centuries of suffering underneath the authoritarianism of humans outweighed the creature's reason, which spurred on an inherent desire for rebellion and vengeance .

— "The Kyūbi, too," Hinata added in a quiet whisper, her eyes soft and sympathetic. "The Kyūbi must be suffering, too..."

— "Despite how desperate a situation might be, Naruto-kun has never condoned sacrifices to make ends meet," Hinata clarified candidly. "He wouldn't have deprived you of your freedom, if he had any control over what was happening. Naruto-kun is a good person."

— "Hey, Kyūbi... you know... one day," his smile was warm, stretching from ear-to-ear. "I reckon I'll manage to do something about the hatred inside you, too."

Kurama's snout twisted into an enigmatic expression.

We don't trust your kind, Goku reiterated. If you want our trust—

"Leave it for now," Naruto gesticulated coolly with a smile. "I pretty much get what I need to do about that."

Naruto..., the Kyūbi thought inwardly. I've watched everything you've done, so I know you must have realized it. No matter what you try to tell me... to tell us Bijuu.. it means nothing. We can't see the truth in your heart.

"Okay, I get the gist of it," Naruto confirmed Goku's game plan, arms folded across his chest confidently. "I'll be back soon, then."

The Bijuu's eyes suddenly widened in alarm. Hurry! That Madara bastard's figured out where you are!

Open up, you furry sack! Bee and the Hachibi were still trying to free their comrade. Give us our Naruto back!

"For all the places for him to end up...," Tobi said in a monotone, extending a capable arm. "I'll just drag him inside me together with the Yonbi."

Materializing from the iron rod wedged in its nape, a familiar, ghostly chain extended its reach — coiling around the Bijuu's neck and then seeping into the puppet master's palm, like quicksand.

This is bad, Bee exclaimed, the Hachibi's tentacles exerting more pressure on the stubborn primate. Open your maw! Naruto, withdraw!

The Yonbi grunted.

Between being reeled in by the phantom chains and held in place by the Hachibi's tentacles, Naruto was stirred awake by the commotion and the weight of his now urgent task.

Flicking to his feet — ignoring the saliva and weird texture of the creature's tongue — Naruto, no longer in his Kyūbi Chakra Mode, looked to a row of large teeth with evident displeasure.

They were clamped shut.

And he immediately scrapped the idea of wasting precious time and energy to try and forcefully pry them open. Instead, he spawned a large number of clones that drove the Bijuu to regurgitate them all.

"You don't know when to give up," Tobi criticized openly, still controlling the rebellious beast through the tightly binding chakra chains.

But Naruto paid no heed to his words. With a simple flick of his hand, the dust surrounding him dispersed like cotton to a flame, revealing a confident sage sporting his customary coat, lips pressed to a thin line.

Tobi felt a sudden prick of apprehension. This was the same form he had showcased at the Valley of the End. This power had no limits but for those introduced by the user's body. His fear was well warranted, and that evoked anger, in return.

But — being able to sense everything around him — Naruto ignored the fiend... ignored the bloodlust and malice that was geared toward him. Looking down, he flexed his fingers, noting that the reservoir inside of him that embodied Senju Energy had grew immensely.

Looks like I've come a long way since my fight with Kurama. Naruto tightened his fingers into fists. My body's grown, so Sage Mode is much stronger now. This is great, because I was running out of the Kyūbi Chakra Mode.

Looking up with renewed zeal, Naruto allowed Goku's words to rehash in his mind:

Listen. Look closely at the base of my neck. There should be some rods piercing it. That's where the chakra chains that bind us come from. They're demonic statue chains using the Rinnegan's Outer Path.

"So they're not in your chest," Naruto had asked. "When you were in Jinchūriki form, they were in your chest."

Because of how much bigger we get in Bijuu form, the place where the Jinchūriki were pierced moves and ends up at the neck. Plus, since we get so big, they become that much harder to find.

Anyway, pull out the rods. If you do, it will stop the chakra chains from coming out. That should get rid of the chains binding me, as well, since they're all connected.

But it won't be easy; I'm under his control and won't be able to stop myself from attacking you.

Calmly tilting his head — always hyperaware of Tobi's assessing gaze — Naruto employed the enhanced vision gifted by Sage Mode to appraise the thrashing Bijuu. No sooner had the distracting glow of the chakra chains disappeared than the Golden Warrior was able to spot his target.

And not a moment too soon, for the feral primate attempted to crush the nauseating insect with a powerful palm thrust. But the attack needed to be at least a hundred times faster to even remotely be a threat to the agile shinobi.

Zipping up the furry stretch of the Bijuu's arm, Naruto noted as his surroundings gradually became darker, as if the sun was suddenly eclipsed by the moon. But the reality was much worse — the creature's free hand closed in like a flexible monolith, treating to crush the Jinchūriki in his tracks.

Naruto didn't flinch, nor did he slow down. His focus still fixated on the iron rod, the nonchalant sage deflected the massive limb with a fisted backhand, and then launched himself onto the Yonbi's thick neck. Without delay, he reached in and began pulling at the rod that was wedged incredibly deep into the skin.

It's coming out, Naruto rejoiced, his fingers clutching the smooth metal even tighter.

Naruto, you pest..., Tobi cursed inwardly, out-stretching his arm. In response, the chakra chains reemerged with a ghostly rattle, almost instantly slithering around the sage's body like a ravenous snake. "I won't make your life that easy."

That fake bastard! Naruto uttered his own curse, the chains coiling tighter. I can feel myself getting weaker...

"Those rods bind whatever touches them," Tobi informed darkly. "They are more powerful than Nagato's Outer Path. You're quite frankly out of your league. It's over, Uzumaki Naruto."

Naruto! Bee exclaimed worrisomely, still doing his best to keep the Yonbi mostly immobile.

And Kakashi and Gai — despite being engaged by the other Jinchūriki — noted the teen's dilemma and expressed concern for the Golden Warrior.

But the Kyūbi was calm.

Allowing crimson eyes to close, the Bijuu remembered all the hurdles that Naruto cleared on the path to realizing his dreams, with each new obstacle far out-weighing the last. But, despite the odds, he would persevere every single time — effectively winning over hearts and minds through the profundity of his actions.

His recent accomplishment was an especially grand milestone. He had single-handedly protected his village and finally gained the recognition and acknowledgment of all the village folk. But the Kyūbi knew this was just the beginning.

— "Hey, Kyūbi... you know... one day," his smile was warm, stretching from ear-to-ear. "I reckon I'll manage to do something about the hatred inside you, too."

— "That's why I want to help you," Naruto said to Goku with a warm, honest grin.

Naruto..., the Kyūbi thought inwardly, crimson eyes reflecting the shinobi's dire predicament. If your desire to help us Bijuu comes from the depths of your heart, then just as before...

Our hero's eyes narrowed tellingly, even as he fought against the parasitic effects of the chakra chains. In the same beat — as if responding to a telepathic instruction — the eyes of a clone still inside the Yonbi snapped open with the markings of a sage.

Having accumulated enough Senju Energy, the clone hurriedly made its way down the Bijuu's throat and did quick work to find the spot where the iron rod protruded outside.

And the Kyūbi watched in amusement. Just as before, let your actions speak for you! Naruto, that is who you are!

"Frog Fist!" the clone uttered fervently, slamming his palm into the meaty wall.

An explosive wave of invisible energy rippled through muscle, fat and skin — loosening the rod and ultimately aiding the other clone to entirely yank it from the Bijuu's body.

"And that's how it's done!" Naruto grinned in triumph amidst his free fall.

The Kyūbi raised its head, barely able to contain its own glee. Yes. This is who you are.

Curse you, Naruto! Tobi watched in a mixture of disbelief and exasperation. That you should manage to take out a rod... in that case, he flew through a series of complicated hand seals, quickly summoning the upper body of the Gedō Mazō.

After destroying the iron rod with a well-placed Rasengan, Naruto found himself back in Goku's mindscape in time to see as the chains shattered that imprisoned its titanic frame.

Nice going, boy, the Bijuu said appreciatively with a hint of surprise.

Naruto took a breath, and then gestured at the beast with a quizzical gaze. "How come you're still chained up?"

Goku tittered dryly, lowering his gargantuan body. Looks like the chains around my stomach are still here, after all.

"How come?" Naruto pointed accusingly. "I took out the rod and everything!"

About that rod — it temporarily pins my chakra to the Jinchūriki's body and that masked bastard can control my chakra through the Gedō Mazō.

"You knew that all along?" Naruto snapped. "Then how on earth am I supposed to help you?"

The Bijuu's eyes quivered, and it homed in closer, trying to ascertain some unforeseen truth. But it was evident that the youngster bore his heart upon his sleeves; there was no deception to be seen. You... really mean—

"Of course, I do!" Naruto interjected breathlessly, the effort of his honest labor evident from his exhaustion.

Goku was still flabbergasted. Is this... how he really feels? He thought inwardly, wide eyes always shrew and calculating. I just told you how to stop me. I wasn't trying to tell you how to help me.

"Would it have killed you to start with that part?" Naruto argued softly. "How come you Bijuu can never say what you're really thinking? Well? What should I do?"

The chain rattled.

Before we get to that, there's something I want to give you.

"What?"

Give me your hand. Goku folded his fingers and move that giant fist forward.

Naruto's eyebrows furrowed questioningly. "Huh? You've got a present for me?"

It's good stuff, Goku replied reassuringly, like a sketchy merchant selling something he probably shouldn't. It'll serve you well when the time is right. Come on.

Naruto conceded, bumping fists with the gentle titan. To his surprise, a quiet power poured into him from the connection, creating ripples in the shallow pool of the watery realm. This wasn't just raw power; however, but a delicate weave consisting of warm emotions. And Naruto beamed openly, humbly accepting the power, emotions and the ancient rite that was bestowed upon him.

But the connection between Jinchūriki and Bijuu didn't last long. On the other side, the Gedō Mazō aggressively reeled in the rebellious ape and converted the beast into chakra as it was sucked into the statue's gaping maw.

The bastard had the Yonbi swallowed up, just like that, the Hachibi fumed frustratingly. I guess he was still in control, after all.

"You look ready to meet your maker after stopping just one of them," Tobi mocked scathingly. "But I am not one to hold a grudge. I will simply take your precious Bijuu using my other tools."

The puppet master raised a basic finger sign to his masked face, and the ground immediately began to quake. But it wasn't an earthquake — no, it was the remaining Jinchūriki. They thrashed about while doing a quick swell; morphing into their respective Bijuu forms as instructed by their commander.

Gai and Kakashi watched in horror has their already formidable foes evolved into something even more powerful and sinister.

Naruto was nothing but fumes.

Tobi's chakra chains weakened him far more than he would like to admit, but the warrior looked on in determination, reluctant to give in, refusing to let evil have even a mere microsecond of victory.

The Kyūbi's eyes narrowed in a reflection of Naruto's commitment. This cannot possibility end well. You being on the verge of collapse from fatigue is not helping.

Naruto kept his gaze transfixed upon his foes, the light in his eyes never faltering. "This isn't over... you just watch..."

If you wish me to lend you my power, I am prepared to consider it... Naruto.

Thrust once again into a mindscape, Naruto turned around wearily to confront a nonchalant Nine-Tailed Fox. "You've taken the lead in talking to me a lot lately, haven't you? I'd be happy to borrow whatever power you've got for me, but first, there's something I have to make sure I tell you."

The creature tilted its head curiously.

And Naruto's lips stretched into an appreciative smile as he bowed his head. "Thanks for what you did when Madara was attacking back there."

The Bijuu's eyes widened in surprise.

"The strength you gave me... it really helped."

Don't thank me! It's sickening! the fox snapped hotly. I did it solely because you're the lesser of two evils next to Madara. Anyway, thanks to this cage, I could give you no more than the tiniest morsel of chakra. As for this time, I merely felt like watching your battle a little longer. Yes... I only seek entertainment!

Naruto pointed at the furry bastard accusingly, his face a ridiculous mess of comical anger. "Hey! Why are you getting angry with me for thanking you?! Forget that glare of yours! How about you start fixing your attitude, or you'll never—"

The shinobi was suddenly confronted with a giant fist that barely managed to squeeze in between the columns of the Bijuu's cage.

Align your chakra with mine, the Kyūbi invited softly with a wolfish grin.

Naruto's lips pressed to a thin line. And he held the creature's sharp, crimson gaze steadily, as if trying to perceive a sign of deception. "Don't tell me we're playing chakra tug-of-war again?"

Imbecile! This time, I'm not asking you to give me anything. Then again, I have nothing better to do; I can play tug-of-war, if you wish.

Naruto considered that for a while — no, not the suicidal game of tug-of-war. But the seemingly undeniable truth behind the Bijuu's words. It was subtle at first, but now Naruto was almost certain of it. The Kyūbi had changed. For the first time in their Jinchūriki-Bijuu coexistence, the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox... well, seemed civilized.

And when they bumped fists, that fact become even clearer. Like his connection with Goku before, energy poured into the shinobi like colors from an artist's brush. A picture was painted on the canvas of his soul — an illustration that conveyed more words than the Bijuu could spin over the course of a millennia upon its tongue.

Naruto felt a plethora of emotions. Unconsciously, his fist tightened as he accepted every heartbreaking promise and apology; every tale of hopelessness and loneliness. And a quite whisper of appreciation for the fragile friendship they had now began to kindle.

His heart heavy with what he was given, the Jinchūriki heaved a warm grin that was mirrored by a cheerful Kyūbi.

Back in reality, Naruto's eyes flashed open with renewed power and conviction. "Let's go, Octopops!"

The mountainous Bijuu craned its head to look at the feeble human. "In a two-man team, I am the lead,"Bee coordinated coolly. "Drop back to support me, and you'll be wise indeed."

Naruto, I know that you're strong, the Hachibi began. But no matter what you think, we're facing five Bijuu. Don't go in front if you can't take Bijuu form.

"No point divvying up roles when you and Eighty are both injured," Naruto retorted huskily. "Let's do it together."

"Hold on, Naruto..." Bee was persistent.

"We're each half of a two-man team, aren't we?"

The Hachibi perked up curiously. Don't tell me you and the Kyūbi...

Naruto gave a lopsided grin, his smog words confirming the Bijuu's suspicions. "We're not holding anything back!"

TICK-CLICK-FLICK!

The sophisticated locking mechanism that kept the Kyūbi sealed inside a dreary cage slowly began to unravel itself. And Naruto stood before the metal bars, his back turned to the colossal canine illustrating his complete trust and faith in his new companion.

"You're not the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox anymore," our Golden Knight declared solemnly, reminiscing the moment he was first acknowledged by Iruka. "You're a member of Konohagakure's tag team, together with me. You're Kurama!"

As per Naruto's will, the double-doors burst open and, for the first time since the great and honorable Rikudō Sennin, the Nine-Tailed Fox had someone he could truly call friend.

"Let's go!"

Keh!

The instant the duo aligned their mental and spiritual wavelength, Naruto was engulfed in an ocean of spiraling chakra. Similar to Kyūbi Chakra Mode, a dazzling golden cloak encircled his entire body like close-fitting pieces of fabric. And accentuating designs manifested that greatly differentiated this mode from the former. Now he had the bearings of an ancient sage whose might and power knew no bounds.

"Naruto!" Bee exclaimed incredulously, feeling the familiar nature of the transformation flow through him. "Don't tell me you—"

Unfortunately, the rapper's words were suddenly cut off by the Hachibi's acute sense of danger. Without warning — and at the behest of a villain whose patience had long since worn thin — all five behemoths began simultaneously charging a lethal Bijuu Bomb.

Target: the Jōnin.

"Th-This goes beyond overkill!" Gai blanched.

Kakashi raised his kunai in defense, his Sharingan morphing into the Mangekyō. "Don't make any sudden movements; I'm going to blow them away with the Kamui in my left eye."

"There are too many! You can't do this with your eye alone! If it's come to this, I'll have to use the Eighth Gate!"

"Don't be a fool!" Kakashi snapped. "If you do, you'll die, afterwards!"

"But—"

Naruto! the Hachibi called urgently, noting the Jōnin's dilemma. The others are in trouble! They've got five Bijuu Bombs coming in at point-blank range!

"I'm on it!" Naruto bellowed above the sound of the projectiles being launched.

In a flash, he zipped across the sky in a tight, fiery arch, effortlessly deflecting the dark orbs that each went on to utterly obliterate mountains and forests, miles in diameter.

Kakashi gasped, shielding his eyes from the unrelenting storm of flying debris. Through the haze of the cataclysmic blast, and a chaotic cocktail of his own emotions, he saw the broad, familiar back of a man famed as The Yellow Flash standing before him.

"S-Sensei?!" he uttered in shock, the Fourth Hokage's customary cape undulating in the wind.

But, as his eye focused, the outline of the Kage gradually evaporated to reveal his legacy — a shinobi who had long surpassed him in both strength and accomplishments.

"I-Is that Naruto?" Gai couldn't believe his eyes.

"The mountains!" Kakashi exclaimed, watching as the once lofty peaks faded into dust.

"Is this the power of a Bijuu?!"

Tobi clicked his tongue angrily. He deflected every last one? In that case...

At the puppeteer's steely command, his beastly army bore their fangs and claws and threw themselves at the tenacious shinobi.

Naruto narrowed his eyes to dangerous slits, his demeanor cool and collected. "Let's go, Kurama!"

At his behest, both Bijuu and Jinchūriki exerted a mountain of power — their combined energies gushing upward like an erupting volcano. But this chakra wasn't wild or destructive — no, like a living organism, it morphed into a life-sized replica of the Kyūbi with Naruto at the helm.

The titan charged forward — Kakashi and Gai safely tucked away inside its protective cloak. Then, with a single sweep of its paw, a successfully achieved Bijuu Form managed to drive back all the attacking beasts — sending them crashing into the ground.

"You finally managed it!" Bee praised noisily. "You're in Bijuu Form!"

That Kyūbi! the Hachibi was in disbelief.

His nonchalance doing well to calm his seniors behind him, Naruto created a willing clone and proceeded to the next phase of his plan. "First, let's locate the rods on each one."

Kurama tilted his head critically. I'm warning you now — we can't take our time; it is your first time in Bijuu Form and our link's not perfect, either. Don't assume this will last beyond five minutes!

"That's plenty!" Naruto grinned, the titan's talons digging into the earth for traction before launching itself skyward go cling to an airborne Seven-Tails. "What with the extra numbers, I'm going to have to go harder on you guys than I did on, Son. So please bear with it."

Almost instantaneously, the clone used his eyesight enhanced by Sage Mode to locate the iron rod wedged inside the winged creature. Down below, the Three-Tails quickly curled into a ball and spun away before it could get trampled by a plummeting Kyūbi. But not before the sage located its rod, as well.

Instead of giving chase, Naruto had the titan raise a fist in an attempt to knockout the captured Bijuu. But the Six-Tails intervened by closing its jaws around the fox's hand, holding the rebel in place.

The sage spied its iron rod.

Capitalizing on this window of opportunity, the Three-Tails curbed its direction and started barreling in the direction of the immobilized titan. But, no sooner had it found traction, than the beast was abruptly trapped in place — five familiar tentacles coiled around its hard exterior.

But the Rinnegan wasn't just for show. The Five-Tails was already in a full gallop, careering toward the preoccupied beast.

I'm not falling for the same trick twice! the Hachibi howled, a powerful left hook sending the horse-like Bijuu hurling into the slope of the crater.

Naruto pinpointed its rod, too.

Boasting superb speed and dexterity, the Two-Tails whisked into the action, only to be swatted like a fly with the Six-Tail's body — both Bijuu crashing together into the ground.

"All right!" Naruto cheered, watching as the giant feline stilled on the ground. "I've found all of them!"

"It feels like I'm watching a clash of the titans...," Gai described in awe, Kakashi entirely sharing his sentiments.

This is beyond my expectations, Tobi admitted darkly. I suppose this means the time has come for lethal force.

At his silent command, the Three-Tails added fuel to his torque and finally managed to slip from the Hachibi's appendages. It flew into an high arch, like a spring, and quickly corralled with its fellow Bijuu. Then, without missing a beat, they all began accumulating energy for a combination attack. Blue and red particles quickly converged to create a massive sphere of pure destructive energy.

BOOOM!

The size suddenly expanded more than tenfold, its sheer weight and power deepening their crater of a battlefield. Gusting winds vanquished low hanging clouds and the sheer heat evaporated all the moisture in the atmosphere.

Naruto frowned cautiously, his throat parched as he swallowed the scalding air.

"Oi," Gai blanched. "That thing's way bigger than it has to be..."

Kakashi zoomed in with his Sharingan. "Are they focusing all their power into one point?"

"Naruto, what do we do?"

Ignoring them, the Golden Warrior raised his arms, palms open, and the titan dilated its jaws in an echo of his gesture. In half the time, a rivaling sized Bijuu Bomb was created and fired.

Is he trying to cancel it out with an equally strong blast? the Hachibi wondered aloud. But Naruto's never actually—

"He managed it in training, at least sometimes," Bee informed in a sweet rap. "This time, I know he'll pull it off!"

The spheres collided.

The two conflicting energies hummed like two distant stars going supernova, one trying to outshine the other. Earth, bedrock and age old roots took to the sky as if to orbit the competing superpowers.

Tobi clung to the Gedō Mazō as the landscape changed all around him. And the Hachibi used its tentacles to barricade its own body — large, oval eyes peeking out as the orbs threatened to rob the world of all its worth.

Finally, they both shot into the upper atmosphere and detonated. A blinding ribbon of light whipped across the heavens followed by the apocalyptic explosion. Like ghostly hands of death and destruction, the heat and shockwave encroached upon the surface of the earth, devouring entire mountains and forests, and even evaporating entire lakes and rivers.

He aimed just below it and knocked it upward, the Hachibi deduced. Nice going, but on a scary scale. The Kyūbi really is crazy strong! And to think this isn't even his full power!

From the veil of dust and debris, nine tails shot out like homing missiles. They coiled around the neck of each Bijuu, effectively pinning them in place.

"Your rods are mine!" Sage Mode Naruto declared huskily. And, as if the statement was a command, the five clones hosted in each tail tightly gripped the metallic rods and summoned their strength.

"Let's go, Kurama!" the main star howled. "We're pulling them out all at once! We'll release them all! We'll help them all for sure!"

Kurama heaved his customary wolfish grin.

Then, in the next instant, the world around them slowed to a stall and both Bijuu and Jinchūriki were spirited away into a familiar mindscape. Earthen tones painted the infinite realm that surrounded them, the distinguishing colors being from the other five Bijuu and Jinchūriki who were present.

According to Kurama, now that Naruto and himself had established a perfect link, it was now possible for him to delve even deeper into the Bijuu psyche.

Alas, being absorbed into the Gedō Mazō, Goku and Roshi wasn't able to make an appearance. But, before the Bijuu's inevitable departure, he foretold of Naruto's intentions.

Do you all remember.., Goku had uttered reminiscently. Old Man Rikudō's parting words to us? That child is probably the one he spoke of. That's what I felt. He's come this far in order to help you, as well. Look after him, when he gets here. I'll be going on ahead.

Once everyone had expressed their heartfelt gratitude for Naruto's selfless and honest sacrifice of liberating them from the clutches of evil, they all proceeded to hammer their names into his heart and mind. And Naruto did well to embed all they had to give into the very fabrics of his soul. After all, these were not just random people from different villages. They shared a transcending bond that only Jinchūriki could recognize — and it pained Naruto's heart that they had supposedly shared the same suffering and grief he had to endure.

Without a sound, the Bijuu huddled together and stacked various appendages on top of each another. Naruto observed the ceremonial gesture wondrously, and his legs carried him under the cover of the beastly umbrella where he merged his fist with theirs.

Kurama looked on with his own measure of wonder, the traces of some ancient emotion molding his face. And before he could curb the feeling, he was already caught in a memory of ages passed.

A plump baby fox — encompassing a ring of Bijuu that circled their master — listened intently on the man's final words.

"I do not have long left," the Rikudō Sennin admitted repentantly. "Shukaku. Matatabi. Isobu. Son Goku. Kokuo. Saiken. Chomei. Gyūki. Kurama. Even far apart, you will always be together.

One day, the time for you to become one will come... in a different form to how it was before, with each of you hearing your own name. Unlike when you were inside me, you will be shown the right path. You will learn what true strength is...

Until then...," the man allowed a warm smile.

And the Kyūbi's eyes began to quiver, falling tears dampening its fluffy crimson coat.

As Kurama slowly resurfaced from his reverie, he could see the image of his father overlaying Naruto. And an uncharacteristic smile tugged his lips. It's been too long, old man..., the words rose like a prayer in his mind, and then he turned to his siblings. I know you feel it, too! he bellowed heartily. Naruto is the old man's...

The Bijuu didn't need to hear the latter; they completely agreed. Naruto shared a charm and charisma that only their father emanated. They had no doubt he was the Rikudō Sennin reincarnated, and they didn't hesitate to entrust the young sage with all their memories so that he may bring them into the future.

With a fervent battle cry, all five of Naruto's clones yanked the metallic rods from the Bijuu, releasing them from the man's tyrannical control.

Well done, Naruto! the Hachibi praised with a grin, watching as the shinobi landed on the ground with his seniors in tow, his newly achieved form dissolving.

"So you've even gained complete control of the Kyūbi," Tobi spat, acid dripping from his words. "However, you shall not have long to enjoy it. It is time to restore the status quo."

The Gedō Mazō responded.

Snapping its jaws open, five ghostly chains shot out from its throat that seemed to lead to another dimension. They quickly sought after and located the Bijuu, pointed arrows spearing the motionless creatures and pulling them into an inescapable fate.

Naruto cupped his stomach and squeezed, silently vowing to avenge them. "Your status quo's not coming back," he returned with such nonchalance that Tobi couldn't help but flinch. "Because I've just learned a whole bunch of complicated names!"

"Complicated names? What are you talking about?"

Naruto stuck his tongue out mockingly, like a child teasing a well sought after secret. And the Hachibi's chuckle added fuel to the man's swelling annoyance.

Gai looked from the ox and octopus hybrid to a far too calm and collected teen. "Seeing Naruto grow before your very eyes really makes you feel like an old fossil, doesn't it?"

"What's wrong?" Kakashi teased. "You don't sound like your usual self. I know it's hardly my usual line, but... I'd rather say that the springtime of our own youth isn't over just yet. Now that we're here, there's still—"

"That's enough!" Gai cut him off playfully. "You're making me feel redundant."

"That's our Gai."

Tobi assessed Naruto's unyielding nonchalance. That expression..., he pondered mentally, a shaking hand reaching behind to clutch the hilt of his holstered weapon. He felt as liquid pooled and trickled from his gloved hand — a phenomenon that urgently had him pivoting his head around in appraisal. Mmm? Sweat? No... rain.

The puppet master tilted his head to welcome the sudden downpour and the clarity it presented. I could never break into a sweat from facing weaklings like them, he uttered inwardly, rebuking the possibility that he was merely trying to convince himself of that. This Naruto clone is undoubtedly strong — and I would imagine the original is stronger. But he's almost at his limit. Once I dispose of the clone, then no one will be left who can stop me from eliminating Kakashi and Gai and acquiring the Hachibi.

Naruto is merely a tool to test Sasuke's readiness. To me, he should be nothing but a diversion. Based on the clone's performance, I should roughly have a grasp on the original's full power. This sense of unease is not at how strong he is — so, where is it coming from? What is it?

Rain undulated down his mask and cape as he pondered the origin of the corrosive doubt and anxiety that had taken root in his mind. No... that doesn't matter, he finally decided. Naruto's true nature is completely irrelevant. Beyond this war, there is no past nor future. Even existence itself... all shall become meaningless.


Fated Reunions — Hearts' Symphony

"I-Incredible!" Ao exclaimed as he deciphered the unique linguistics of the Sensing Water Sphere. The large, detached bubble stood in the center of the room, manned by three other shinobi from the sensory division. "Did you guys feel that?"

"It's unbelievable!" another man described.

"There's no doubt about it," a third began. "That was definitely the Kyūbi's power."

Ao quietly agreed, the sphere amplifying his sensory abilities as he sought to confirm the truth of it again. Except... I felt something slightly different about it.

"What's the situation?" Shikaku asked, noting the men's commotion.

"Uzumaki Naruto is holding the masked Madara back through unbelievable force. I had no idea such chakra existed — no... actually, they're pushing him back. Just four of them — Naruto, Bee-dono, Kakashi-dono and Gai-dono!"

Shikaku took but a moment to process Ao's words and then turned his attention to Inoichi and company. "I need you to give everything you've got and put the current information from Naruto's side directly into the head of every member of the divisions moving to reinforce them! Cut it to fifteen seconds if you need to! I want to boost morale in one big sweep!

Those four are hanging in there with all their strength. So, we've got to throw all our strength into doing what we can! We have to convey their feelings!"

"Every member...," one man almost chocked on the words, his head fixed in a large machine that supplemented the use of his sensory and telepathic abilities. "If we do that, the strain on our chakra channels will be overwhelming. If things go wrong..."

Inoichi smiled at his colleague's agitation, his head fitted with the same bulky equipment. "You're asking for the impossible... so we'll do it in ten seconds!"

"Inoichi-san!" the man snapped, breaking out into a sweat.

"Sorry to ask, but this is important," Shikaku returned gratefully. "Condense it as briefly as you can."

"I'm not much of a speaker, but leave it to me!"

This is a transmission from HQ! a robust voice dawned in the mind off all those converging on the battlefield where the masked villain was located. Conditions at the area to be reinforced are favorable! In other words, Uzumaki Naruto is holding his ground! The people our alliance is to protect — Naruto and Bee-dono, are fighting for us at the front line with true passion! So are Gai and Kakashi!

Members of the alliance, add your passion to theirs! Inoichi urged vehemently, even as blood trickled down from his nose by the sheer strain of his large-scaled announcement. Our combined feelings... are the prophecy that will lead us to victory in this war!

Shikaku regarded his comrade with utmost esteem, even as the shinobi emerged from the requested task struggling to get a breath of air into his lungs.

"I really am... a lousy speaker," he admitted dryly, his chest heaving. "In the end, I took twenty... whole seconds..."

The man's apprentice looked on in awe, while Shikaku bore a more logical and calculating visage. Yes... that's how powerful your own feelings were.


Dark clouds converged in the endless skies. A broad leaf sagged under the weight of a water droplet. From the open plains to the forested mountain ranges, the grey slant of rain assaulted the parched earth — wind and fog dimming visibility. But nothing could slow the momentum a significant boost in morale had ignited.

Thousands of footsteps echoed above the thrashing rain as shinobi sprinted to the next battlefield. There were those who fought for dreams, some for passions, others for family, a friend — but, ultimately, everyone fought for a future. And they steeled their nerves as they pushed forward to make that resolve a reality.

Kiba heaved a wolfish grin, staring unblinkingly ahead even as the icy rain drove into his face like tiny needles. Naruto, I made sure I marked you a long time ago — marked you as my rival. He pushed aside the memory of his loss in the Chūnin Exams. Make sure you keep Madara busy until I get to you. And you better be looking after Hinata!

I will support Naruto flawlessly with my ninjutsu, Shino vowed. Why? Because... I don't need a "because"!

"Sounds like Naruto's really pulling it off," said Shikamaru to Chōji. "When you think about what he was like just a few months ago, it's unimaginable just how much he's grown. But even when he was dumb, despite appearances, he was as sharp as a kunai when it came to battle instincts."

Chōji — who didn't mind flaunting his now toned physique — allowed a wide smile. "It used to be beyond question that Naruto was dumb as I was fat, but a lot of expectations are getting turned upside down, huh?" Wait for me, Not-Quite-So-Dumb Naruto. Slender Chōji is on his way!

"He may have finally hit puberty," Shikamaru teased. "But there should still be a need for me to help develop strategies." Hold on, Naruto. I'm nearly there!

Thanks, Dad, the words took form in Ino's heart. Thanks for conveying the strength of Naruto's feelings to us all. We've got to make that prophecy come true no matter what!

Are you okay, Gai-sensei? Tenten took a turn. Are you making sure to keep Naruto safe? I'm sure you're okay since Kakashi-sensei's there, as well.

Elsewhere, the forest that flanked them on both sides formed a wall of green and brown as they dashed through its thick embrace.

"If it wasn't for the rain, I could have flown there with my Great Beast Painting," explained Sai frustratingly.

"Less complaining, more running, Sai-san," chided Lee uncharacteristically. "We've got to live up to Gai-sensei and Naruto-kun's gallant examples and show the world our will!"

The former Root agent regarded the teenager with a friendly smile. This is what it means to have friends. I can feel it now, Naruto.

Despite working around the clock with her fellow medical practitioners to keep the soldiers alive and in tip top shape, Sakura radiated exuberance and zeal as she matched the pace of the shinobi dashing alongside her.

Naruto... you saved Konoha, she reminisced, the image of the sage's undulating red cape etched in her mind. Now, you're trying to save the shinobi world. Every single time we end up leaving these terrible things to you to sort out. But this time, no matter what you say, let us... not just you and me... this time, let all of us fight together!

As the shinobi pressed on in the unmerciful rain toward a worthy cause, the sun peeked out through a gap in the clouds, illuminating the footprints left behind in the mud. A collection of dreams, ambitions and desires tinted in good intentions — craved in the soft bosom of time.

But nature was unbiased.

Elsewhere, a pair of lone footprints were also highlighted by the sun's fleeting grace. And, as opposed to the many men and women who risked their life's for peace and prosperity, the aspirations molded into these imprints were dark, selfish and corrosive in nature.

A sudden flash of lightening illustrated the ominous crimson glow of a Sharingan — and an even more ominous smirk from its bearer. And the clap of thunder that followed promised a disaster of epic proportions.


"The Five Kage are being pressed hard by Madara," Inoichi hated being the bearer of bad news. But feeding this type of information to the Chief Strategist was imperative, if they hoped to sustain a favorable advantage in the ensuing war.

"This chakra is insanely strong," Ao added.

"It figures," responded Shikaku. "Not only is he a shinobi of legend, but he has an Edo Tensei body. That gives him immortality and unlimited chakra." the man cupped his chin calculatingly. "Even for the Five Kage, it's a grave challenge."

"We really do have no choice but to deal with the Edo Tensei user," Mabui — the Raikage's capable female assistant — contributed softly.

"Do we have news from the Search Squad?" asked the chief, his question geared to Inoichi.

"Nothing good. They're going over potential hiding places with a fine-tooth, but there's no sign of Kabuto whatsoever."

"What about the Sensory Squad?"

"We're not getting any responses," Ao informed regrettably. "He may have raised a powerful barrier."

"Should we send reinforcements?" offered Mabui.

"We've sent all we can," said Shikaku in denial. "Any more and we'll be leaving holes in our front line formation." the man clicked his tongue in frustration. "I never thought Kabuto could be so much trouble to deal with..."


One couldn't deny that Orochimaru's successor was a royal thorn in the side, but nothing could even remotely compare to the real danger that Uchiha Madara posed. He was a true force to be reckoned with — and the five Kage were experiencing that first hand.

Despite their advantage in numbers, it was clear their efforts proved nothing more than amusement for the ancient gladiator. Each time it seemed their strategy won them the upper hand, the tyrant revealed another fraction of his power, which shaved away at their morale, in turn. But with their innate charisma and a burning desire to leave behind a legacy befitting the next generation, Ōnoki and Tsunade kept their fellow Kage afloat.

At the same time, Itachi — accompanied by a distraught Sasuke — managed to easily find and infiltrate Kabuto's lair despite the Search Squads valiant efforts. Working together like days long passed, the brothers were able to corner the serpent who had evidently surpassed his predecessor in power. Utilizing Izanami — Itachi's ultimate ocular ability — they managed to successfully seal Kabuto within a genjutsu illustrating an indefinite loop.

Then the Uchiha followed up with his Tsukuyomi, learning the method with which to stop Edo Tensei. But he didn't dispel the jutsu without first disclosing his history to an inquisitive Sasuke — everything from his ghastly childhood to the final mission to completely eradicate the Uchiha Clan before they could stage a coop.

"I've shown you the entire truth," Itachi said candidly, lumbering toward his dumbfounded brother as light eroded his immortal vessel. "And I won't have to ever again. I've always lied to you by asking for forgiveness, always pushed you away with this hand of mine. I didn't want to get you involved.

But this is what I believe now: you could have been the man to change father, mother, and the Uchiha. If I'd just faced you from the beginning, treated you as an equal, and shared my truth with you while listening to yours...

I failed, and whatever I try to tell you now, from above, its meaning won't cross the gap between us. So now, at last, let me share just a tiny bit of truth with you."

Instead of poking or flickering Sasuke's forehead as he'd done a thousand times before, Itachi pulled his brother into a warm embrace, their forehead together as one. "You don't ever have to forgive me. No matter what you do from here on out, I will always love you."

Sasuke's chest tightened as the words seeped into his skin. His eyes quivered uncontrollably, and he couldn't spin a single coherent thought into his mind. And, all too soon, his beloved elder was gone…


"Edo Tensei has been released," Madara murmured as the Kage regarded the blinding light that suddenly engulfed his body.

"What?" exclaimed the Raikage.

And Tsunade shared the commander's alarm. "I thought we were still looking for Kabuto. That was too fast! Finding him would be hard enough. To stop the technique on top of that... who was it?"

"Did one of Naruto's clones manage to find him again?" the Mizukage contributed.

"Doesn't matter," said Ōnoki. "Whoever it was, that person is a hero who has kept the shinobi world safe. Looks like providence hasn't given up on us just yet."

"Apparently, you, too, had capable shinobi on your side." Madara's words came out more as mockery than a compliment, especially as he glowered at them from his lofty perch. "So it goes."

The Mizukage frowned suspiciously at the man's carefree tone. "He was ready for this?"

"It's not over yet," Ōnoki warned, and a microsecond later Madara was lunging at them like a bat out of hell. "He wants to get one more good hit in before he disappears. Get ready!"

"Fire Style: Dragonflame Warsong Technique!"

Ahead of him, four fiery projectiles akin to fanged beasts hurled at the Kage. And they growled as if they were alive — a war song that promised nothing but ruin.

The Mizukage's cheeks inflated as she molded the chakra necessary for a water-based counter but—

"No, I won't make it!"

WHAM!

Tsunade deflected the attack with forearms coated in chakra. But, despite the reinforcement, the deadly flames still managed to severely hurt her. The Hokage winced at the import of excruciating pain, but she didn't dare turn her gaze away from the real threat.

It took but moments for her accumulated reservoir of chakra to transform and heal her wounds. But fighting Madara while diligently healing her allies was far more taxing than she anticipated. The woman had sustained more injuries than she bargained for, too, and that came with disastrous effects.

"Hokage-sama!" exclaimed Mei worrisomely.

"I'm fine!" she reassured heartily, but when those disastrous effects reared their ugly head, the woman soon found that was far from the truth.

No sooner had her wounds healed than the rejuvenation jutsu began unraveling itself. And Tsunade's eyes quivered in devastation as the intricate designs gradually disappeared from her body — and with them, her energy.

The Might of a Hundred Technique ran out? she thought in a poorly suppressed panic. But there was a sliver lining: Madara's body — a product of a dispelled Edo Tensei — began to glow. And then his spirit separated from the vessel.

My technique may have run out, Tsunade thought absently, the light in her eyes fading as her body surrendered to unconsciousness. But... we won.

Or so she thought.

Without even batting an eyelash, the Uchiha exerted his iron will. And the dregs of the abolished jutsu bent to his will, his spirit swiftly reaffirming itself into the empty vessel.

Tsunade fleetingly caught a glimpse of her imminent doom — a chakra-forged blade aimed at her chest — but she couldn't summon the strength to react. The Raikage whizzed off to her rescue, but it was someone entirely different who managed to whisk her away from death's door in the nick time.

Madara's eyes followed her like a machine.

"What was that?" said the Raikage huskily.

"I thought she'd lost consciousness!" Ōnoki added.

Completely frazzled, Tsunade gazed unseeingly at the ground, trying to piece together the miracle that just transpired. I was paralyzed. What happened?

It's been too long..., a sweet, velvety sound flowed into her mind. It's me, Tsunade.

The Hokage's eyes widened at the familiarity of the voice, and the next thing she knew, she was surrounded by a magical world painted in an ocean of glittering stars. But the most beautiful attraction was the man who now stood cheerfully before her. Butterflies fluttered in her tummy when she pronounced his name upon her lips.

"Dan! How can you be here?"

Tsunade took a step forward, a fist pressed to her chest sheepishly. She didn't care how he managed to escape the clutches of the afterlife. All that mattered was that he was by her side again and she would relish his presence while she could.

"Edo Tensei's been released," he informed sweetly. "So I flew here with the Spirit Form Technique. Man, that was close just now."

"Dan..."

"You never change, Tsunade," he beamed affectionately.

For the first time in many years, the kunoichi allowed the walls barricading her emotions to collapse. Before the man she loved with all her heart, she looked like a vulnerable and needy female. "Dan! I've always—"

"There's no time…," he interjected regrettably. "Now isn't the time for sentimentality. I have to go..."

Tsunade looked on dejectedly. And she couldn't help but reminisce about his solemn convictions to protect his loved ones and kin as the Hokage. And he valiantly died walking the road to that dream. Even now, in death, he was determined to protect all that he treasured.

"Dan, after you died, I spent so long running from my memories of you, but I changed. Now I have another chance to make sure you have no regrets and nothing left undone! I became Hokage. But—"

"Thank you, Tsunade. You've achieved everything I wanted to... and more. You've gone through so much suffering because of me. I'm sorry," he bowed his head sympathetically, regarding her grief-stricken face. "I'll be waiting for you, but I'd rather you took your time," he gently took her face in his hand. "After all, you are my dream."

Slowly, lovingly, he pressed a kiss to her forehead in an echo of her feat many years ago. And Tsunade's eyes quivered as a plethora of emotions flowed through her fragile heart.

Dan pulled back, a sweet smile stretching across his attractive mouth. "I was able to protect you at the very end. Call it a silver lining to my Edo Tensei?"

Tsunade swallowed the bittersweet import of emotions as her lover slowly disappeared from her life forever. And, as her vision of the world around her returned, so did her conviction to defeat the malevolent phantom who threatened to crush everything she had ever known and loved.

"You've recovered," Madara voiced coolly, a bit annoyed that the woman was perched above him. "Did you receive chakra?"

The Hokage smiled. "I happened to meet an old friend."

"You won't be apart for long."

"What? What's going on?" the Mizukage expressed her confusion to her comrades. "His chakra started going away, but now, it's clinging tightly to his body! Did he recover, too?"

"Why?" the Raikage blatantly sought the truth directly from the source. "Why won't you go away? Edo Tensei is supposed to have been released!"

Ōnoki and Gaara waited impatiently for man's response.

And Madara regarded them with undisguised scorn and disdain. "Edo Tensei is a technique for summoning the dead. It carries just one risk."

What risk? Gaara pondered.

"If the spirit summoned from the Impure World happens to know the seals, he can annul his side of the Edo Tensei summoning contract."

"What do you mean, annul it?" asked Tsunade.

"It is the ultimate disaster," the man said amusingly. "An undying body; unlimited chakra; freedom from any sort of control..."

"You don't mean...," Ōnoki blanched.

"Tell this to the user: forbidden techniques are not for the unprepared," he said before dispelling the jutsu using the appropriate seals.

And then the nightmare ensued.


Tiny specs of light doted the battlefield as the soldiers of Edo Tensei began a long overdue departure. And headquarters wasted no time broadcasting the news to all the divisions, effectively bolstering the troops' morale in the same beat.

The Hachibi studied the glow radiating from the motionless Jinchūriki secured in its tentacles. "Naruto! The Jinchūriki are fading away!" Bee informed with evident delight. "Man, Itachi just made my day! But we still got this fool keepin' us at bay!"

Naruto stood imposingly atop the Hachibi's head, holding the fool's accusing gaze. "Then quit complaining and let's follow through on our end."

It was only after he leapt to the ground, in the company of Kakashi and Gai, did our hero allow himself a moment to watch his companions depart. As they ascended to the heavens in a column of light, he offered tribute by rehashing their names one final time.

"Leave it to me!" he uttered aloud, the sound of his own resolve reaffirming the fiery blaze that had dwindled to a smolder in his belly.

They're all gone, huh? the Hachibi muttered with a hint of grief.

But Naruto knew it was better this way. The Jinchūriki being released from their bondage meant they were no longer suffering. Thanks, Itachi. I guess that means the other battlefields should be wrapping up just about now...

As he predicted, all the other Edo Tensei soldiers were on the verge of vanishing. But it was both a relief and a tragedy. Those who shared stronger bonds with the deceased had to experience the excruciating pain of losing them all over again. But being flanked by their comrades was a constant reminder that they had a solemn duty to protect those who were still alive.

Tobi swiveled his head around with a leer he hoped would decapitated the incompetent snake, wherever he was. That imbecile Kabuto must have failed.

"Quit daydreaming!" Naruto asserted, offended the bastard had the nerve to look away from them. "I'm right here in front of you!"

Tobi conceded — though, his eyes were sufficiently filled with contempt and malice when he met their gazes once more. As if responding to the sheer magnitude of the man's anger, the Gedō Mazō uprooted itself from the ground and hurled itself at the source of its master's annoyance.

With the help of his clone, Kakashi forged a lightening-based rope. With the astounding agility he was notorious for, he carefully maneuvered around the titan's punch and set the behemoth up to be tripped.

"Gai!" Kakashi signaled.

"Yeah!" the man bellowed, an inner-gate-powered dropkick sending the titan toppling over.

But the beast didn't get to fall.

The Hachibi followed up with a powerful uppercut.

Again, the beast didn't get to float.

A massive flaming hammer — courtesy of Naruto's transformed clone — came down with the force of a meteorite, sending the giant hopelessly plowing into the earth. A thunderous shockwave rippled outward, and a mushroom cloud took to the sky. Dust and debris flew in every direction — and Tobi retreated to safety before he could get caught up in the destruction.

Naruto watched his hopeless struggle in amusement. "You sure look upset," he mocked.

"What do you mean?" Tobi fumed.

"Since you're hiding your face, I get to imagine you having whatever expression I like. If that bothers you, why don't you take off that mask and show me what you really look like, you moron!"

"Nice one, Naruto!" Gai cheered.

Kakashi signed. "How many times do I have to tell him not to taunt the enemy?"

"Very well," Tobi responded, as if falling prone to the teen's ceaseless provoking. "It seems I have no choice."

Quickly forming a seal, the Uchiha summoned the Crimson Gourd and Amber Purifying Pot within which the Gold and Silvers brothers were sealed.

Kakashi and Naruto frowned knowingly.

"I did want to resurrect it in its completed form," Tobi began, noting that he had only managed to amass a single tentacle's worth of the Hachibi's chakra. And an inkling of the Kyūbi's chakra was the most he would receive from the pseudo-Jinchūriki brothers, as well. "But, even incomplete, its power remains the same."

Like a ravenous beast, the Gedō Mazō chucked the pots into its gaping maw and clenched its mouth shut.

...

THROB!

Something ancient and celestial suddenly fitted into place, like a pivot and a cog that had long been separated. Sampling the flavor of all the Bijuu's chakra nature, something evil and primal erupted inside the mysterious humanoid statue. And its nine eyes — which were always shut — suddenly snapped open in tandem with a ferocious and animalistic roar.

"It's long overdue, but the promised hour is finally here."


As opposed to the certainty of Tobi's convictions, Sasuke wasn't quite sure what to do. Meeting Itachi again had only inflated his already explosive hate and disdain for his home. But, despite everything he had been through, his older brother still strove to protect Konoha — why? He was commissioned to completely erase his family, friends... his entire clan. And, even in death, he still honored the will of the Leaf.

It was absurd.

It made no sense.

Hoping to find some level of clarity, Sasuke opted to resurrect Orochimaru. The serpent was extremely unorthodox and conniving — not to mention ridiculously obsessed with his ocular abilities. But it was also true that the man possessed a wealth of knowledge and wisdom regarding all the different facets of the world.

Sasuke would utilize that multitude of historical knowledge to learn about the root of Konohagakure, and the various clans that made the village their home.

What was the Will of Fire?

What legacy did the founder intend to leave behind? And how did the Uchiha Clan incur the wrath of the village's leaders? What could possibly warrant and justify such a tragic fate? It was only after learning these truths would he be able to make a decision. Would he pick up the mantle and carry on Itachi's will? Or would he use every ounce of his power to crush Konoha and purge his clan's existence from their minds?


The Gedō Mazō's howl rose a few octaves higher. The air heated and the earth trembled under the force of the creature's dominating aura. And Tobi stood amongst the ensuing chaos, keeping his figurative puppet strings attached as he guided the beast to its former glory.

"The Mazō has been going crazy ever since he put something in its mouth," Gai stated the obvious, hoping someone had a better understanding of what was happening.

And from Kakashi's troubled expression, it seems he may have connected a few promising dots. "It can't be...," he muttered in disbelief, even as Tobi's statement rehashed in his mind.

— "I did want to resurrect it in its completed form."

"Watch closely... and know it to be true," the man said present time, rocks of various sizes rising into the sky as if the force of gravity had been reversed. "The Jūbi 's reborn! The apocalypse has begun!"

Everyone braced themselves, as if his words were palpable projectiles.

"I see," Kakashi frowned. "That means the Mazō was intended as a shell for the Jūbi all along." But Something's not right. Based on what he said during his declaration of war at the Five Kage Summit, the whole purpose of this war was to collect the Kyūbi Chakra necessary to revive it.

Kakashi looked over his shoulder, as if verifying that the remaining Jinchūriki were actually still there. He isn't done collecting the Hachibi or the Kyūbi. Was he bluffing? We can't risk getting too close without a plan.

An eighty-five ton mass of muscles and tentacles, Bee stood gawping at the masked villain. And it didn't take long before guilt illustrated where his folly had given breath to their current predicament.

— "But even incomplete, its power remains the same."

The Hachibi frowned ruefully. Don't tell me he's pulled it off with chakra from just one of my tentacles?

"We have dedicated our lives to rhyme, but on this occasion, we've screwed up big time," Bee rapped in reply, breaking out into a nervous sweat. "Earlier, he collected some chakra of a tentacle clone," he announced repentantly to everyone. "I may look calm right now, but my mind is blown!"

He got chakra from a Hachibi tentacle, Kakashi processed as calmly as he could manage. I guess that counts as part of a Bijuu.

Naruto, the Kyūbi started. I know you sensed it, too. Some of my chakra was inside that gourd and pot.

"There's no mistaking it," the sage concurred with a frown. "Those are the same ninja tools that Kinkaku and Ginkaku were sealed in — and I recalled them using your powers."

Switch with me. I will explain, including about the Jūbi . You listen from here.

"You know about the Jūbi ?"

Yeah, of course, I do.

All of a sudden, Naruto's disposition changed. The oceanic depths of his blue eyes transformed into molten lava. Rounded pupils narrowed to slits, and pointed canines filled his mouth.

"Listen up!" Kurama's deep voice was filled with assertion and the crisp cadences of an earlier century. And, of course, this high soprano voice blaring out of Naruto's mouth had everyone flinging their heads around in abject shock.

"Naruto and the Kyūbi have swapped sides," Bee informed reassuringly.

They will explain everything, the Hachibi added. They have let down their mental divides.

"If one part of a Bijuu suffices, then the Mazō already contains chakra from both me and the Hachibi," Kurama admitted coolly.

Kakashi gasped. "The Kyūbi, as well?"

"The gourd and pot he summoned and fed to the Mazō just now are artifacts belonging to the Old Man Rikudō. They have the power to seal absolutely anything, and once something is inside, it can never come out.

Now... the one in the pot is Kinkaku, and the one sealed in the gourd is Ginkaku. I suspect they were raised with Edo Tensei, used to fight in this war, and then finally sealed inside the artifacts."

"The Rikudō Sennin, Kinkaku and Ginkaku," Gai repeated with a hint of awe. "It's like being in a fairy tale. But what's this got to do with Kyūbi chakra?"

Kurama blinked open calm eyes, which did little to erase the perpetual frown that creased his forehead. "A long time ago, those brothers challenged me to a battle. I ate them, of course. But then they gorged themselves on the flesh of my stomach, and absorbed my chakra."

"In other words, Kinkaku and Ginkaku possessed a certain amount of the Kyūbi chakra," Kakashi deduced. "And the masked man stole it as insurance for reviving the Jūbi , taking it from Darui's First Division." This matches what we were told by Headquarters.

"But I don't know what kind of form the Jūbi will be reborn in with just fragments of our chakra."

Kakashi pulled the hem of his glove, securing it upon his hand. "I guess we should do as much as we can before its revival."

"Kakashi," Tobi scoffed, glowering at the man through his mask. "You say these things so casually. Appropriate for the man who's lived a lifetime of regret."

Kakashi squared his shoulders with the bastard, his body language now screaming hostility.

And even Gai felt triggered by the man's extremely personalized verbal assault. "...Just who are you, really?"

"Is there any point in telling a man whose face means nothing to me?"

Kurama took a few steps forward. "Kakashi. As you say, if we're going to act, this is our only chance, before the Jūbi can be reborn. Old Man Rikudō told us that the Jūbi 's complete revival would mean the end of the world."

"Is the Jūbi really that incredible?" Naruto asked, Kurama's mountainous body towering over him in his metal scape. "I can imagine what having ten tails must mean, but what is it actually like?"

The Kyūbi looked him over, as if assessing whether he was ready for the answer. "It is the amalgamation of all our chakra, from the Ichibi to the Kyūbi — the source of chakra, the deity that created this land.

It has many names. It drinks seas, sunders the earth, moves mountains... it is the very progenitor believed to have created the world. Even in simple terms, it has the power of the nine Bijuu combined. In truth, on my own, I am nothing before it."

Everyone blanched.

But Kurama rebounded with a solvent. "Yet, if it has only a fraction of the strongest chakra, mine or the Hachibi's, then there may yet be meaning in trying to challenge it."

"You labor under a misapprehension," Tobi interjected derisively. "I don't need the revival of the Jūbi to be complete."

Everyone blanched again.

"My objective, in the end, is the great genjutsu: Eternal Tsukuyomi. I will place everyone on this planet under a single genjutsu — a united world without identity. A perfect world that knows no war or hostility. Truth exists only in a unity of consciousness that has abandoned the self. The world no longer needs hope, or a future, or famous heroes.

When the Jūbi is revived, even incomplete, I will be able to use the Eternal Tsukuyomi Technique. Then reality will end. All that will exist is a single endless dream, stretching forth into eternity."

"...Swap with me, Kurama."

The intense features of a proud feline gave way to a familiar face. "I had a dad," Naruto said as a means of reintroduction. "And a mom. And Ero-Sennin. Kids love heroes! That's why I can keep running forward without hesitation! I will become a Hokage that surpasses all who came before him! That's my dream, you moron!"

Tobi didn't even flinch.

Gai grinned openly — the kind of radiance an optimist would flash in opposition to fate. "Even if you don't want to let your youth end, you have to put an end to your dreams someday."

"Hah." Kakashi nodded in agreement. "Dreams are for fulfilling."

"Dreams, dreams, dreams!" Bee joined in on the fun. "Dreams are the thing! My dream's a mature woman's breasts — that's the way I swing! Fulfilling lots of dreams is the key to truth-seeing."

The Hachibi scowled at the man sprawled out on its nose in their mental scape. You've got real guts, coming out with your kink in this situation.

"The self obscures the truth," Tobi asserted his ideology once more. "I am no one, and so my words alone come from the truth of this world."

CRUNCH!

A stone crumbled under the weight of sandals. In an instant, a relatively annoyed Naruto took a powerful step that propelled him forward at lightning speed. He had already donned Kyūbi Chakra Mode and was weaving through a series of hand seals.

"Water Style: Water Dragon Bullet!"

Heeding its master's silent command, the elemental dragon charged at the masked bastard like a great deluge. And our hero rode upon its lengthy frame, a lethal Rasengan filling his hand.

Tobi ignored the incoming beast, as if it wasn't there, his eyes, instead, transfixed on Naruto who lunged at the howling husk of the Jūbi . The moment the imposing dragon slipped through his body — a fruitless distraction — Tobi thwarted the sage's attack with a decisive maneuver of his shield. "I will not let you touch the Mazō!"

Naruto leaped back cautiously.

Through his peripheral vision, he noted that the humanoid statue had begun transforming like something out of a nightmare. All nine of its ashen eyes bled and its howling increased to a fever pitch — a dark and agonizing sound. Dammit. I guess I'll really need to break this bastard's mask first before we can get to the statue. And, from the looks of it, I need to hurry...

Also recognizing that time was of the essence, Kakashi decided it was time both him and Gai rejoined the battle. Rallying everyone to his side, the Jōnin decisively formulated a plan to tackle the man's annoying and seemingly unbeatable ability.

The plan was to keep pressing the Uchiha in close-combat, and try to exploit that brief window whenever he tried sucking someone in with his space-time technique — or attacking. During that moment, he had to materialize himself entirely, which would be the opportune time to strike.

Naruto's golden eyebrows narrowed shrewdly as he charged in with what he dubbed a Mini Bijuu Bomb. According to Itachi, every technique had a weakness and space-time ninjutsu was no exception. There had to be a cool down time; they just needed to continue pressuring him until they figured it out.

While the enemy was preoccupied, Kakashi attempted to sever the Mazō's head by warping its neck, but the Uchiha managed to somehow nullify the ocular assault with minimal effort... or was the Gedō Mazō just immune to that kind of attack?

Their confusion waned a tad, however, when a mere coincidence shed some light on the possible theory behind the man's ability. With little other strategies to work with, Kakashi decided to take a gamble and test the legitimacy of his deduction, which quickly bore fruit.

From a well-organized assault, the Jōnin was able to analyze and conclude that the Uchiha didn't really have two techniques — an evasion and store and recall ability. He was simply being flexible with the way he manipulated his space-time ninjutsu, but the most shocking discovery was that his jutsu's dimension was directly tied to that of Kakashi's. And that raised a ton of suspicion.

"Just who are you?" Gai asserted.

"And where did you get that eye?" Kakashi added.

The man's features hardened behind his cracked mask. And he pointed an accusing index finger at Kakashi, attacking the Jōnin with another wave of guilt stemming from what appeared to be a personal grudge. Every word was perfectly tailored to crush and consume the man's heart, gradually convincing him that the criminal that stood before him was no other than a former comrade he held quite dear.

Kakashi broke out into a sweat, his breathing creeping toward hyperventilation. But it wasn't just the Jōnin who was the target of the Uchiha's merciless outbursts. Naruto was frequently in the line of fire, his ambitions and convictions constantly being questioned and challenged by the mysterious villain.

"Naruto..." he continued, contrasting eyes glinting with the same derision. "If you fail the tasks they entrusted you with, what will you think of yourself? Even if you delay dealing with the problem, even if you try to cover it up with the word hope, all that awaits you is the emptiness of reality. The emptiness of both entrusting and be entrusted."

Kurama snarled darkly, his patience for the man's insufferable delusions reaching its breaking point. Naruto, swap with me! I have a thing or two to say to him.

Naruto's disposition changed again, his facial features taking on that of proud and exasperated feline deity. "I'm afraid your words are completely irrelevant to this one," Kurama announced coolly, gesturing at his capable Jinchūriki. "The Fourth entrusted me to Naruto, only for him to befriend me and, ultimately, master my power!"

Naruto's eyes widened, quivering with surprise and delight as he looked up at the complacent fox towering above him in his mental scape.

"The Fourth sealed me into Naruto to be the power to defeat you," he declared, even as the familiar glow of his chakra flickered about his body like an emerging flame.

And then his body ignited.

Naruto heaved a wide smile, and Kurama returned his customary wolfish grin. Go, Naruto! You will not fail!

"I'm on it!" he howled, throwing himself at the smog bastard.

It took a bit of cajoling, but Kakashi managed to gather his bearings enough to rejoin the battle. And, with wordless communication that only a student and teacher could share, Naruto and Kakashi devised a strategy to land yet another hit on the mastermind, utterly shattering his mask.

"You're... Obito?" Kakashi murmured breathlessly, his heart sinking to his toes. And, as his one eye widened in disbelief, he couldn't help remembering the mission that would have created a wedge in their team forever. "You were alive... all along?"

A heated conversation led to another clash of powers. But, before the confrontation could get serious, there was an explosion as something... or someone joined them on the rock-strewn battlefield. The dust gradually cleared to revealed black, undulating hair and the Uchiha crest. And Obito looked on knowingly as his fellow kinsman squared off against their enemies with a fist on one hinged hip.

"Things look like they're becoming interesting over here, Obito" Madara said with evident amusement, his gaze leaving the man to pass over the three insects that stood before him.

Gai and Kakashi tightened their defense.

Madara..., Naruto frowned assessingly, ironing out his own posture. Is he a clone or the real one? But, if that's the case... what happened to Granny Tsunade and the other Kage? They couldn't have been taken out, could they?

"How like you to find a way to defy even the Edo Tensei Technique," Obito said by means of introduction."

"Forget me," Madara retorted. "I want to know why you're dawdling."

Naruto's fists tightened, blood boiling beneath his skin. "Madara... how is it that you're here?" his voice quivered as he fought to maintain control.

"Madara?" Kakashi blanched, Gai sharing his dread. "The Madara?"

The Uchiha ignored the Jinchūriki's anger that seemed to solidity amongst them by the second, capable eyes noting that he was but a fabrication. "This is another shadow clone. Where is the original, Obito?"

Kakashi gasped, Madara pronouncing the man's name only adding more confirmation that this megalomaniac was truly his former comrade. But what happened to him — could Rin's death have really lured him down this crazy and diabolical path?

Oi, Naruto, the Hachibi called in a clear panic. If he's here... then what happened to all the guys over there?

"What happened to the others?" Naruto spat, unyielding lines of outrage creasing his face, and his eyes burned fiercely.

Bee held his breath, fearing the worse for his brother.

"Those five?" Madara drawled, disregarding the air of urgency that echoed from his foes.

"Tell me, goddamn you!" Naruto snapped, his chakra exploding threateningly.

But Madara's pace didn't improve. "Who knows," he replied, his voice devoid of emotion "I imagine they're all... in less than perfect health."

Naruto bit his lip in time to suppress the urge to lunge forward like a feral beast, his shaking fists slowly steadying. With a sigh, he allowed his eyes to close. If he had killed them, he would have admitted as much. If Granny Tsunade is still alive, I'm sure she'll find a way to keep everyone alive. You got that?

Loud and clear, Naruto, Bee responded with evident relief.

For now, we just need to keep our head in the game.

Using the Kyūbi's chakra, Naruto quickly dislodged the metal rods tethered by chains Obito had used to tie down the Hachibi. And, without a moments hesitation, hurled them at the two men who were far too composed considering their countless crimes.

He's undoing the cursed chains faster than they can wrap around him, Obito noted as he unfastened the weapon he's been using as a shield and chucked it to Madara. "Have it back. It was yours to begin with."

A simple flick of the fan like weapon erected a barrier that effortlessly stopped the heavy projectiles in their tracks. And Naruto watched in displeasure as the man regarded him with little significance, as though he was just a means to and end.

I'm finally free! the Hachibi rejoiced openly. Thanks, Naruto! Now, it's my turn!

A strident roar from the Gedō Mazō won Madara's attention, and he regarded the thrashing husk that was still enveloped by a blood red barrier. "Obito, don't tell me you launched the plan half-baked without securing the Hachibi and Kyūbi first."

Kakashi frowned. He knows the plan. What's the connection between these two?

"You lost your composure," Madara chided calmly. "Is that also why you had me raised in this pitiful form? No matter. Knowing you, you surely have your reasons. What have you been doing? What happened to Nagato?"

Naruto's eyes flickered at the mention of his senior student.

"You were to wait until the time was right, then resurrect me with the Samsara of Heavenly Life Technique. I believe that was then plan."

Naruto glowered at the despicable duo. "You were... planning to use Nagato?"

"He betrayed us," Obito clarified. "He used that technique to save the villagers."

"Everyone fails me," Madara scoffed. "No matter. It is not yet too late; I shall seize the Hachibi and Kyūbi!"

Naruto was already descending on the arrogant bastard, a Mini Bijuu Bomb filling his palm. "I won't let a dead guy push us around!"

BOOOM!

The incredibly condensed warhead collided with the man's shield, an explosive shockwave blasting away the surrounding rubble. But something was wrong — the sphere wasn't detonating. Instead, it felt like the blast was whisked away by some inexplicable force.

Was it the Rinnegan?

"Uchiha Reversal," Madara uttered with a vile grin, tilting his shield that had began to churn and glow with a telling force.

Naruto's eyes widened as the weapon shot out what was supposed to be his own attack, at lease twice as powerful. But, before his body could succumb to the blistering heat and destructive force, he quickly retreated by means of the technique formula he had previously placed on Bee.

Oh-Oh?" Madara mused. "So he can use the Flying Thunder God Technique, too? I am looking forward to this dance. I will take the Hachibi and the Kyūbi," he announced sternly. "Obito, you deal with the others."

"Not so fast!" said Gai, quickly giving chase.

The two former comrades and holder of the same Sharingan held each other's gaze. "What happened to you, Obito? What are you doing with someone like him?"

The Uchiha regarded the man unblinkingly, the bitter question and aggravating sight of him unraveling memories he would rather keep buried. But they surfaced nonetheless, tormenting him ceaselessly, like thorn-riddled vines coiling around his heart.

Over a decade ago, after sacrificing himself for both Rin and Kakashi, Obito, in turn, was rescued by an age-worn Madara who was sustaining his feeble life using both the regenerative cells of Hashirama, as well as the essence of the Gedō Mazō. This esoteric medical practice was also the reason why the boy could still be in the world of the living, despite his severe injuries.

Like a grim reaper, the emaciated and grey-haired Uchiha hovered over the young Chūnin, demanding reparations for saving his life. But Obito was more concerned with returning to his village and by the side of his friends.

Admirable as his convictions were, his body was far too deteriorated to tackle the task. Though, when Zetsu — who was Madara's will given form — brought news of Kakashi and Rin's dilemma in the ongoing war, Obito quickly forged a path to a functional body and blasted his way out of his savior's hideout.

But his valiant efforts were just a fraction of a second too late. Surrounded by the blackness of night, electricity illuminated the horrified faces of Rin and Kakashi, his Raikiri set in her chest. Their horror paled in comparison to Obito's, however, his entire reason for being slipping between his fingers as he watched the girl he loved take her final breath, her heart stilling for all eternity.

It was within this heart-wrenching moment did both Kakashi and Obito unlocked the Mangekyō Sharingan. And the curse of the Uchiha bloodline — accentuated with unfathomable rage and hatred — ultimately twisted Obito's ideologies to overlap those of Madara's. And, thus, began the diabolical agenda of Plan Tsukuyomi.

While Kakashi and Obito had their fated battle, both the Hachibi and Gai tried to draw a line of defense between Madara and Naruto, but they were swiftly beaten back.

"This is Hashirama's wooden dragon, which he used to hold down my Nine-Tails long ago," said Madara as he infused the chakra to craft the colossal beast.

But our hero wasn't deterred.

Manifesting Kurama's entire body — an imposing predator engulfed in energy akin to flames — Naruto challenged the ancient dragon. But the serpent quickly coiled its rough-hewn body around the chakra-forged Bijuu, suppressing its movements and absorbing Naruto chakra.

"That damned wooden thing!" exclaimed Gai, watching as the creature rapidly sprouted branches and leaves as it drained and resonated with its trapped target. "It's leeching on the Kyūbi's chakra!"

The Hachibi flinched in alarm. That moment of hesitation was all it took for the serpent to launch a surprise attack in its direction, too — its vines swiftly constricting around the Bijuu's many limbs. And even, Gai, who was recovering atop the creature's head was held captive in his weakened state.

"These guys are a distraction for you too, right?" said Madara with a ruthless gaze. "This world is about to come to an end. So in order to enjoy the little time we've got left... let's clear out this battlefield first."

His words cut off to spawn Susanoo in their wake. In the same beat, an exhausted and dejected Kakashi was also in a bind. Both parties were just seconds away from being cut down, and time slowed to crawl.

A muscle worked in Naruto's jaw, his chakra-fashioned haori fluttering in the wind. "You bastards make me so pissed, I can't even think straight. So, instead —" he made his customary hand seal — "let me tell you something about myself."

From a blinding flash, two streaks of light split apart and fell upon the battlefield like fallen stars. Using chakra-forged arms, both warriors effortlessly halted the weapons set to cleave his comrades in twain.

"I'm not trash!" asserted Naruto confidently. "I'm not planning on become trash, either. If you think I'll just stand around and allow you to have your way, then you've got another thing coming. I'll never let my comrades die!"

Naruto's strong words made quite an impact, especially on Kakashi who was the one to share the ideology with him. Feeling a familiar flame rekindle in the pits of their stomach, everyone looked to the Orange Shinobi with renewed vigor, and then to the enemy.

I'm sorry, Naruto, Kakashi said mentally, resurfacing from the quicksand of grief that was set on dragging him down. I'm the one who taught you Obito's words and yet, I was about to waver again.

Unsteadily pushing himself to his feet, the Jōnin gazed at his best friend with evident resolve. But Madara and Obito had no intention of allowing them to regain their bearings. The villains launched their attack, and our heroes retaliated in kind.

"Obito," Kakashi held his unrelenting gaze. "Your once strong will is still alive today — right next to me. What the current me can do is protect the current Naruto."

"You'll protect the current Naruto?" he was both unimpressed and unenthused, even more so when Kakashi slumped back down to the ground.

Gai was just as winded. He almost looked emaciated after unleashing his forbidden power. But his sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Mmm, the Hachibi's rounded eyes widened a tad, the strong hold from his wooden prison loosening by just a fraction. And he wasted no time exerting his strength and breaking away from the uncomfortable bondage. Be careful, Naruto! he warned. The enemy's Wood Paralysis Technique is identical to the First Hokage's! It has the power to bind Tailed Beast power!

"Just like Yamato-taichou's technique," he compared with a side-long glance.

"A Raikiri that relies on the Sharingan... you've mastered your left eye," Obito praised with a hint of malice. "Even awakening the Mangekyō. But, can you make it back from the other plane in your current condition?"

Confidently revealing his hand, the man went on the offensive but was quickly pushed back by an overprotective Naruto. "Now I see it clearly...," the Orange Knight chuckled in a combination of arrogance and pity. "Your pained face that was hiding behind that mask."

"Save those lines for the one right next to you," Obito warned.

Naruto regarded the Jōnin from above his shoulder appraisingly. I definitely have to help Kakashi-sensei somehow. He's completely drained from overusing the Sharingan. If he gets sucked in...

Naruto, Kurama called tellingly, conducting his own appraisal of the situation. Switch with me for a second.

"Do you have a plan?" he asked, looking up at the mountainous titan towering over him inside their mental scape.

Don't question me, just do it.

Naruto's oceanic eyes turning red signaled Kurama presence — and cautious eyes watched as the enemy made a quick advance. "Oi, you brat, give me your hand."

The exhausted Jōnin tilted his head at the sound of the familiar voice, sweat rolling down his face. "You're..."

"Never mind that! Just stick out your hand!"

Kakashi did as he was told, his eyes flashing with revelation at the brief connection. And he didn't flinch when the Bijuu swung and tossed him in Obito's path to get spirited away by the Space-time technique. But Naruto was flabbergasted at what appeared to be Kurama chucking his sensei into the jaws of the beast.

Now you don't have any distractions, was all that the Bijuu said, as if those words alone were enough to justify the madness he just performed. I'm leaving the rest to you, Naruto.

Facing the enemy, the teenager quieted his heart and steeled his nerves. If he didn't trust Kurama, he wouldn't have even remotely considered freeing the fox spirit from his cage. Nor would this level of synchronization — and the power stemming therein — be possible.

Thinking little of what just transpired, Obito pressed his charge, an outstretched arm geared toward his target's throat. Naruto brandished a kunai and challenged the man's momentum, the weapon slipping through the Uchiha's head while the man's fingers passed through his neck.

Bearing just a single one of the pair, the effectiveness wasn't as powerful as Nagato's, but Obito used the power of the Rinnegan to pull Naruto in, solidifying himself for the imminent kill.

Time slowed.

The polished metal of a kunai gleamed in the moonlight as it spun above the villain's head. Before his eager fingers could clasp and crush Naruto's throat, the shinobi was gone — a technique formula allowing him to fast-travel to the weapon's location. And then a quickly spun Rasengan was crashing into the bastard's stomach, pinning him to the ground.

Time righted itself as Naruto heaved a frown, his lips pulled to a tight line. The moment the blue orb dispersed from his palm, he could easily note the only mass he had made contact with was the ground. Obito had cleverly hidden away his lower torso just before the moment of impact. But that was impossible; Naruto's window was spot on.

Obito laughed. "Like father like son, I suppose. To think you could use The Flying Thunder God Technique. The only reason I was able to counter is because the Fourth Hokage used this strategy against me be—"

COUGH!

Blood spewed from the man's mouth, contrasting eyes popping open at the unforeseen assault. Naruto leaped back cautiously, watching as the man's body lurched this way and that, as if he was locked in battle with an invisible phantom.

It was Kakashi who did that, Kurama explained to a baffled Naruto. The difference between you and I is that I can give or take chakra at will. I'll show you how it's done later.

"So that was your intention, when you grabbed his hand."

Hah.

"Way to let him have it, Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto praised when the Jōnin made a cool reappearance.

"Thank the Kyūbi for me," he returned coolly.

"Sure thing!"


Elsewhere, Naruto, Bee and the Hachibi, in unison, were generating a gigantic Bijuu Bomb with which to annihilate the Gedō Mazō. The nuke engulfed both creature and barrier, altering the landscape in a colossal explosion that followed.

But—

"The Mazō's chakra is... gone," Naruto hesitated, more focused on his sensory abilities rather than weaving a coherent sentence.

"We did it!" Bee celebrated. "We did it, fool. Ya fool!"

Naruto grinned, an index finger rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"Is it over?" asked Kakashi.

"Yes... for this world," Obito murmured.

Madara sat with evident nonchalance atop a rock, keen eyes piercing the dust and debris that concealed the catalyst of the world's destruction. "Well then... shall we get started?

Ten swaying tails eclipsed a luminous blood red moon. And a single heinous eye snapped open with a malevolence that was matched only by the monstrous shrill that tore from the Jūbi 's ghastly maw.

The warriors of justice looked on in abject shock at the titanic fiend that towered over them. It was at least five times the size of the Bijuu and did little to mask the murderous intent radiating from its very existence.

Kurama frowned pensively. That's... without a doubt the Jūbi .

As if to confirm the Kyūbi's analysis, the creature roared and exerted its bottomless power, dispersing the blanket of dust that blanketed its mountainous frame.

While Obito and Madara retreated atop its head, Naruto's clone and the Hachibi regrouped with Kakashi and the original.

"I could have sworn the Mazō's evil chakra had disappeared," Naruto said, even as he tried to size up the fiend.

"Damn, they got us!" murmured Kakashi.

That thing doesn't have any kind of emotion, explained Kurama. It can't be sensed. It's natural energy itself. It's the same as that which circulates around the world, that you can feel in the soil, water, and the air. It would be a different story if you tried it while engaged in Sage Mode, though. But, I wouldn't recommend it.

Regardless, Naruto was already dismissing his current form and gathering natural energy. But what he felt was an immeasurable force — like the weight of a planet with numbers moons caught in its orbit.

"I had planned to capture them before the Jūbi revived," said Madara as a pair of tube-like appendages sprouted from the creature and attached itself to his and Obito's nape. "But they're pretty good."

"I want to start the Infinite Tsukuyomi ritual immediately," replied Obito, ignoring the man's unwarranted praise of the enemy.

"That Great Genjutsu requires time to summon the moon. They will interfere with the jutsu. Things will go more smoothly if we use the Mazō's power to get rid of them first. Do you agree?"

"Madara... you just want to test the Jūbi 's power, don't you?" Obito said accusingly. "That's why you deliberately... you're just like a kid."

"Not really," the Uchiha defended, arms folded across his chest. "Kids are impatient, touchy little brats."

Ignoring the banter of its masters, the epitome of destruction succumbed to its unrelenting desire for blood. It hurled itself across the landscape, laying waste to the geography as it did.

Oi, here comes a big one, warned the Hachibi. You think we can really do this?

Don't think you can hide under your tentacles 'cause you're scared, teased Kurama. But first, hand me Gai over there. I'll heal him later. And that Naruto and Kakashi, too.

They all joined the Main-Clone-Naruto at the helm of the translucent Bijuu Mode, just before they were hit with the typhoon that accompanied the Jūbi 's arrival.

Listen up, Kurama said authoritatively. First, we keep our distance and see what move he makes! Then we'll counter the attack and hit him with a big blow as close as we can get.

"Kyūbi," Kakashi said playfully. "You're acting like a captain."

Huh? You have a problem with that?

"Nope. In fact, I feel kind of happy."

Gai threw a thumbs up and Naruto grinned.

That line... save it for after we've won! Let's go!

The very fabric of space and time seemed to quake as the monster drew closer. The Bijuus eased into a quick sprint, attempting to make a b-line around the incoming threat. But while the Jūbi was titanic in stature, by no means was it slow and clumsy.

A lethal claw suddenly burst through the cover of dust and debris, narrowly missing Kurama who made a hasty retreat.

It's surprisingly fast, Naruto frowned assessingly.

There wasn't any time to observe its moves! Kakashi thought, sharing Gai's frustration.

The Jūbi 's jaws snapped open with a domineering shriek — a mixture of a fog horn, a whale, and something nefarious and otherworldly. Dozens of razor-sharp fangs lined a gaping naw — and the single eye etched in a grotesque face glowed with an evil that was beyond insanity.

The creature squared off against Kurama, and then they lashed out at each other. The larger arm managed to land a blow, but it was all just a diversion. The Hachibi was already charging a Bijuu Bomb with a now airborne Kurama doing the same in tandem.

"There's no need to dodge," Madara said coolly.

"I want to preserve the Jūbi 's power as much as possible," replied Obito.

And yet the atmosphere destabilized when the beast began summoning its power. Like something out of a nightmare, the Jūbi 's head retracted into its body like that of a snapping turtle. Then it reemerged — its jaws ripping open to more than half its body size as it tailored its own lethal weapon.

The Hachibi blanched. This is...

...Not good, Kurama finished.

VUUUU-PIIIZZUU!

Quickly charging and condensing a massive Bijuu Bomb to roughly one-tenth its size, the progenitor of destruction fired off the cataclysmic attack, like a spaceship would a death ray. The dust and clouds cradling the battlefield instantly parted as the unrelenting beam of light cleaved the earth, effortlessly consuming the fusillade launched by the Hachibi. And, by simply whipping its head to the side, the fiend was able to intercept Kurama's attack, as well.

Knowing they would also fall prey to the beam, Kurama fenced his tails around his body to form an impenetrable cocoon of defense — and the Hachibi did the same, positioning itself in front to be the first point of impact.

A clash of epic proportions lit up the battlefield and culminated in a deafening explosion. The scorched earth trembled, and the debris cleared to reveal Kurama whose nine tails had been incinerated by the blast. But his damage was little in comparison to the Hachibi that had been rendered to but a single tentacle.

"Persistent lot," Madara murmured.

"Hey, Naruto," said Gai, his face pale. "Don't tell me..."

"Don't worry, Bushier Brow-sensei," Naruto reassured with a raised arm.

Nice control, Naruto, Kurama praised, watching as the clone and his sensei free fall over the Jūbi and its pair of far too complacent masters. You got them in nice and close!

We focused too much on the Ten-Tails, Obito thought mentally, already plotting a counter.

But he was already missing an important component to an effective counter-strategy. The Hachibi didn't get vaporized in the latest attack. Leaving a single tentacle behind to tell a story, the Bijuu hid away inside Kakashi's dimensional space and was now ejected over head.

I'm gonna smash this into his eyeball! roared Gyūki with a hint of revenge, a powerful projectile already whizzing toward its intended mark.

With a simple flick of the Jūbi 's forefinger, the nuke was deflected right back at the sender. The projectile slammed into the Hachibi's chest, hurling the Bijuu skyward before detonating into a devastating blast. In the same beat, the Jūbi turned its attention to the duo still freefalling, a single tail intent on swatting them like flies.

Thanks to the sensory prowess of Sage Mode, Clone-Naruto was able to perceive the looming threat in time to sacrifice himself for his sensei. On the ground, Bijuu-Mode-Naruto managed to snatch a weary Kakashi before he could hit the ground, and also stop Gyūki's body from hurling any further along the rough landscape.

Noting the teen's impressive act of selflessness, Obito couldn't help but remember the ultimate sacrifice he had made for his former best friend, as well. Naruto, you really are a lot like me, he thought openly, eyes grave and fixated. That's right... you're just younger than me. Eventually...

Kurama sighed.

As if that one breath was the fuel that powered Bijuu Mode, the mountainous giant deflated, sending Naruto, Kakashi and Gai falling to the ground. Gai's fall was especially brutal as unleashing the gates left him entirely numb and immobile.

"Kurama!" Naruto exclaimed, a hint of petulance in his tone. "How can you fall apart at a time like this? We're about to get our asses kicked!"

Sitting crossed legged, the Bijuu looked down at the flailing midget. That was about eight minutes, he clarified, reminding the shinobi that, since they hadn't gotten the chance to practice properly synchronizing their hearts, they could only sustain the new chakra mode for roughly said time. It's longer than before, but that's the limit. He poised his hands in a meditative fashion and blinked his eyes shut. I'm going to have to infuse and build up my chakra again.

"I guess I'll have to keep everyone alive, until you're done," Naruto said, closing his own eyes as he sought to gather natural energy.

"That hurts, fool. Yah fool!" Bee complained breathlessly, his body riddled with cuts and bruises. But it was nothing compared to the injuries his partner sustained.

Bee, I'm going to rest a bit, too, panted Gyūki as his massive frame slipped into the Jinchūriki. I'm also at my limit.

"I can't get healed yet?" Gai huffed, barely managing to tilt his head off the ground.

Pulling something as massive as the Hachibi in and out sure comes with a correspondingly large cost, thought Kakashi, barely able to keep himself upright. I'm already drained.

The situation looked bleak. But, when the gang saw the light of conviction in Naruto's eyes, complemented by the markings of Sage Mode, they couldn't help but feel a flicker of hope.

"Seems the Hachibi and Kyūbi have run out of chakra for now," Obito pointed out the obvious.

But, when Naruto turned around to face them, they could tell he hadn't given up just yet. If anything, he hadn't truly gotten started. Though, whatever aces he had up his sleeve, was it enough to turn the tables of this war?

"Your favorite Shadow Clone Jutsu, eh?" Madara mocked when the teenager silently crossed his fingers. "It may be a forbidden high-level ninjutsu, but just increasing the number of losers won't—"

"A corpse has no right to call me a loser!" Naruto interjected curtly.

"All your comrades are out of breath and on their knees," Obito pointed out derisively. "What exactly do you expect to accomplish on your own?"

"Naruto..." Kakashi called tellingly.

"Relax, Kakashi-sensei," our hero spared him a reassuring sidelong glance. "I'm not about to do anything stupid, nor will I allow you guys to get killed. Trust me."

"If you go down," the man continued. "We lose this war."

"I know."

"You and I are both powerless shinobi," said Obito. "You — no, I should say, everyone... will eventually end up like me."

"I'll never end up like you!" Naruto snapped. "How many times do I have to tell you? My dream is to become the Hokage!"

"Don't worry," reassured Obito. "Everything will go as planned. There is no shinobi jutsu mightier than the Infinite Tsukuyomi. I'll make you Hokage inside this jutsu. So... just disappear along with the rest of this world."

Heeding the man's silent command, the Jūbi flexed its head like a machine and then fired off another nuke to utterly annihilate the enemy. But the trajectory suddenly shifted last minute — the beam completely incinerating a few dozen mountains a few kilometers away.

"Tch!" Obito frowned, shaking off the jutsu that relinquished his free will for but a moment.

"What tha—" Gai stuttered.

"Did it miss... on purpose?" Kakashi asked aloud.

Revelation suddenly dawned when they heard the familiar whoosh of an agile shinobi.

"Took you guys look enough," Naruto grinned when backup dropped in beside them.

"Kakashi! Gai!" Hiashi called as a means of introduction. "Sorry to keep you waiting!"

"I can't believe he shook off my Byakugan-aided, spot-on Mind Transfer in just two seconds!" argued Ino breathlessly, landing with Neji in tow.

"But you still succeeded in shifting that large thing's aim off target," Hiashi pointed out. "Good work."

"You okay, Naruto?" Sai landed behind him.

"Yeah!"

"Don't you go acting all tough in front of Sai now, Naruto," Kiba teased with a wolfish grin.

Without missing a beat, members from the Aburame clan in conjunction with those from the Hidden Mist Village, created a blanket wrought of mist and bugs to hide their location from the prying eyes and sensory abilities of the enemy.

"We're here, Naruto!" Chōji declared his arrival.

"All right, we won't be so easily detectable now," said Shikamaru.

"Bee-sama!" the Jinchūriki's apprentice — Karui — dropped in with a rather mocking display of concern. "You're in better shape than I expected!"

"Bee-sama!" Omoi — the other apprentice — genuinely seemed concerned though. "You look seriously wounded! Are you OK?"

"Omoi, you worry too much!" Karui chided exuberantly.

"Gai-sensei!" another hot-blooded subordinate appeared on the scene. "Don't tell me you used Hirudora?"

Without having to look back, Naruto sensed the presence of a capable kunoichi he vowed to protect — and he called her name tellingly. But Sakura knew what her responsibilities entailed, and had already zipped over to Kakashi and began applying treatment.

The Jūbi 's monstrous presence aside, with thousands of shinobi congregating in one place, the Sensory Water Sphere used to facilitate monitoring location and activity, could no longer maintain its shape to give a proper reading. In other words, in but a few moments, the sensory team at headquarters would no longer be able to detect or track anyone outside of a one-mile radius of where the enemy was and the alliance were concentrated.

"Inoichi! Ao!" Shikaku called commandingly. "Confirm the situation!"

Conceding to the request, both men started reaching out to the division officers.

Darui: "First Division has arrived!"

Kitsuchi: "Second Division has also arrived!"

Deputy Officer: "Third Division has arrived!"

Shikamaru: Fourth Division has arrived!"

Mifune: "Fifth Division has also arrived!"

Shizune: "The Medical Unit's here, too!"

And they already started tending to the wounded.

Shee: "Sensory Unit has arrived!"

Madara gazed into the shuffling mist that even his eyes couldn't penetrate, but still his nonchalance didn't waver. "Nice try hiding, but..."

With a single whip of its tail, thousands of shinobi could now be seen backing a Naruto whose nonchalance rivaled that of the Uchiha's.

"Am I still alone? Are all my comrades breathless and still on their knees?" Naruto asked condescendingly with a grin. "Behold the Allied Shinobi Forces Jutsu — the world's greatest, most invincible, super-duper ninjutsu! A jutsu that trumps the Infinite Tsukuyomi. Remember that, you goddamn moron!"

Obito's facial expression morphed into something fierce.

But Madara found both that and the alliance almost comical. "The Allied Shinobi Forces Jutsu, eh? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch?"

"We're going to beat you with that jutsu!" Naruto asserted.

"You're wrong," Obito interjected sharply. "Why won't you realize that it's meaningless for you to stop us here? After this war, even that jutsu will disintegrate. Then someone from your side will attempt to do exactly what we're doing now. There is no victory, no matter how much you struggle," he spat angrily. "Get it through your head: there's no such thing as hope anywhere in this world."

Naruto lowered his head, muscles flexing in his jaw. "I don't care," he simply said, his words — although frank — washing over his comrades like a salve. "I'll make sure there's hope."

Madara blinked his eyes closed, his patience wearing thin. "It's meaningless to argue whether something exists or not during a war. How about we settle this now?"

Naruto stood his ground against the man's intimidating aura, the straps of his forehead protector fluttering in the wind. "When there is a difference of opinion, isn't the usual way majority rule? So what do we do?"

"That's a good suggestion," Obito responded flatly. "Then... we'll call it after we've erased all of you."

"I knew you'd say that," frowned Naruto, his tone of voice igniting the fire of conviction that dwelled in the hearts of each and every individual that supported his cry for peace and justice.

The Allied Shinobi Force heaved a hearty battle cry before hurling themselves into the fray.

Thanks for buying us some time, Naruto, Shikaku said via Inoichi's telepathic jutsu.

Don't mention it; I need to buy myself some time, too. So, did you manage to come up with a strategy?

Thanks to you, I was able to relay it to everyone!

Kakashi told us the masked man is Uchiha Obito, Inoichi added. But there's no time to be shocked. For this fight, we need to take and maintain the upper hand and not give them any opportunity to counter.

According to the intel we received, Shikaku began. Our enemy has impressive eyes. First, we'll impede their movement by destroying their vision.

Hidden Cloud, Inoichi announced instructively, replaying the command to the elemental group. And the shinobi heeded the call, forming their seals in union and triggered a blinding flare that accomplished the intended purpose. Even the Jūbi squinted its eyes in the face of the overwhelming light.

Hidden amidst the light were hundreds of projectiles that assaulted the enemy, their radiance rivaling that of the flare. Using the power of the Rinnegan, Madara allowed one of the beams to make contact, which he then absorbed to analyze and determine its nature.

"I see," he concluded judiciously. "Their true aim is to blind the Jūbi ."

Hidden Sand, now! Inoichi relayed his second command. And the wind-natured shinobi stepped up to the plate, evoking a complex current of wind that completed encased the monster.

With the two jutsu from earlier — Hidden Mist and Beetle Jamming — along with the large volume of airborne dust stirred up by the Kumogakure shinobi, we'll not just destroy their vision completely, but thwart them from even sensing us at all. And, since their sheer bulk prevents them from hiding, we'll be able to take full advantage of the situation.

We only revealed our jutsu to him a short while ago and he's already incorporating them into the battle plan, Temari thought amusingly. Leave it to Shikamaru's dad — like father like son!

Channeling chakra to his eyes, Obito evoked the power of his Sharingan. But, try as he may, he couldn't see passed the wall of wind, dust and decoy chakra signatures presented by the beetles.

"This makes it impossible to sense them," Madara admitted openly, and yet his decorum didn't waver.

"We'll wipe them out with a single attack from the Jūbi ," Obito concluded.

Hidden Stone, Inoichi continued. Proceed immediately.

"We're on it!" Kitsuchi exclaimed, leading the charge.

"Earth Style: Vast Mobile Core!"

The ground rumbled in defiance, but conceded to the collective will of the shinobi. Before the Jūbi and its masters could react, they found themselves sinking into a perfect square precisely cut from the earth. Dark, rough walls enclosed them on all sides. The beast dug its claws into either sides of the towering walls, but still it would not stop sinking.

After shutting down their senses, Shikaku narrated. We'll immobilize them! And, as soon as we bring down the Jūbi , pour in quicklime!

The group did as instructed, showering the fiend with a mountain of the chemical compound. And the Hidden Mist village was close behind, a deluge doing quick work to stir up the quicklime.

Konoha — let's finish this! Inoichi called.

The Sarutobi Clan stepped forward.

"Fire Style: Majestic Flame Technique!"

We'll rapidly dry the mixture with the heat from the jutsu, Shikaku declared vehemently as the searing heat from the flames performed its duty magnificently.

"Unbelievable...," Madara murmured above the sporadic crackle of the hardening cement-like compound. "Who would've thought that the shinobi from the five villages could work so cooperatively."

Obito didn't care. Struggle as they may, all their efforts would, inevitably, be in vain. No level of hope, cooperation or divine intervention would be able to twist the true salvation that the Uchiha had so thoughtfully prepared.

Unless we stop the Jūbi , we don't have a chance to go after Obito or Madara, Shikaku clarified sternly. The Jūbi is merely a tool for them to aid in activating their jutsu. If we cut off the head from the body — namely those two — Infinite Tsukuyomi cannot be activated. But keep in mind that we won't be able to suppress the Jūbi 's power for too long.

Only physical attacks work on Madara — so shinobi who are skilled in taijutsu will go after Madara! Obito can slip through all moves and jutsu but, according to intel, that only lasts for five minutes. Coordinate with the Medical Unit and keep attacking him for more than five minutes. Do not let up!

Naruto, that's right... it's time for your...

"Allied Shinobi Force Jutsu!" he took the liberty of finishing the sentence in what sounded like a battle cry, leaping off the edge with a powerful Rasenshuriken in tow.

And the hardened warriors followed suit, the teenager's fiery roar bolstering their morale, the high-pitched whistle of his weapon reverberating throughout their bodies. Like a dark avalanche, the shinobi spilled into the large cavity, darkening the night's sky, intent on defeating their enemies.

"How pitiful," said Madara, his nonchalance unwavering.

Obito confirmed with a similar level of calm. "This hope that they're clinging to doesn't exist. Just like their very lives, at this point."

"Looks like the Jūbi is ready," Madara pointed out as the fiend's legs and tails began spreading open like a blooming flower, fracturing the cement-like prison.

But the shinobi were already activating their abilities, looming ever closer.

So, this time, they're coming after us, not the Jūbi , Madara discerned with a smile. Well, taking out the enemy's brains is a fundamental strategy...

Naruto didn't miss anything — they may not be in the same league as the Sharingan and Byakugan, but Sage Mode gifted him with a descent pair of eyes. He noted Madara's devious smile, and even the Jūbi 's subtle beginnings of a full-on transformation. But, despite the enemy's looming retaliation, it was far too late to cease their charge.

Madara's grin widened. If you want to get rid of the masterminds, you have to first stop the Jūbi .

As if his words were a trigger, the beast that the alliance assumed incapacitated uprooted its ten tails and shot them upwards, effortlessly neutralizing their united assault. Painfully mixed in with rubble and debris, the valiant soldiers were sent flying into an high arch like rag dolls.

"What tha?!" one man exclaimed. "I thought we had immobilized the Jūbi ?"

"Are you okay?" another man tended to another whose injuries were more severe than his own. "Damn it!"

Sustaining little damage courtesy of a body hardened by Sage Mode, Naruto watched with a snarl as the mountainous beast used its ten tails as an anchor to fluently lift itself out of the man-made tomb. Its transformation complete, the fiend no longer sported a large, bulky frame but a lanky design that allowed it to stand upright when needed.

Old man Shikaku, Naruto called, fortunate enough that the Inoichi still had the line open. After what we just pulled, I'm sure Madara will have the same tactic in mind. Again, I'm urging you guys to evacuate. Either join us here on the battlefield where we can protect each other or seek shelter elsewhere.

Both Inoichi and Shikaku allowed a wanly smile. We appreciate the consideration, Naruto... but it's our responsibility to effectively lead and guide the soldiers — and there's no place better than HQ to perform that role, clarified Shikaku truthfully. We can't abandon our post under the assumption that we may be targeted. The time we take to flee could be used to formulate a strategy to permanently change the tides of the war.

Naruto clicked his tongue flippantly. You stubborn old geezers.

They laughed softly. Naruto... thank you.

"Look at the Sensing Water Sphere," one of the five operators exclaimed as the bubble of water separated into two — one bigger than the other. "It's practically like a small planet."

"But that's... impossible," another man panicked.

"So we didn't immobilize the Jūbi , after all?" Shikaku said calmly. "It merely stopped moving on its own in order to amass power and undergo transformation?"

"How are we going to be able to stop it?" wondered Inoichi. "And now we can't target those two, either!"

But we have to stop that thing... or else it's over for us, Kakashi thought mentally, his reasoning coinciding with those of Inoichi and Shikaku.

"I'm about to pee myself," Kiba murmured.

Akamaru growled at its partner's cowardice.

And Kitsuchi added to the canine's reproach. "Instead of freaking out, infuse your chakra! Be ready to move as soon as we get the plan from HQ!"

Shikaku gazed at the smaller sphere that represented the Ten-Tail's otherworldly power, picking at his brain for a solution to their latest predicament. We must immobilize the Jūbi ... or else we can't go after the brains that are controlling it — but how? Even with the jutsu of my clan who specialize in immobilizing... the effect would be minuscule compared to the amount of chakra expended.

One chain of thought led to another until, finally, Shikaku's eyes snapped open with a solution. "Inoichi!" he called, loud and urgent. "Link me to Kakashi!"

"Roger!"

Kakashi — it's me! the strategist began. There's something I want to confirm regarding the Intel from the last battle sequence.

In the same beat, despite its masters, the Jūbi stood upright intently and began flailing its ten tails, a single eye looking from the insects at its feet to the lesser insects scattered across the globe.

"It's going to start getting more difficult to control the Jūbi soon. Reinforce your bond with it using Hashirama's cells," instructed Madara, an ivory appendage spilling from their body to merge with that of the rebellious beast. "Don't you want to check out the Jūbi 's power in its current state?"

Naruto couldn't hear what the villains were discussing, but he did note the peculiar gleam that lit Madara's eyes. And it was evil — the musings of a man who had seen more conflicts than a moral should. This had groomed him into a strategist even more impressive than Shikaku — and he was about to play his hand.

Obito's eyes snapped open, like a man gone mad. "Let's show them... despair!"

Reacting to the man's deep-seated hatred, the Jūbi 's jaw snapped open and a lethal Bijuu Bomb quickly took shape — target: the alliance.

The shinobi flinched.

Shikaku-san, Kakashi returned urgently. I'm going to hang up for the time being!

What's wrong? the question left his mind just moments before he could sense the impending chaos through his telepathic medium. But he wouldn't be able to weave a plan much less to convey it in time.

Kakashi clasped his hands together, attempting to infuse chakra. This is bad! My Kamui won't make it in time! "Displace it upwards using an Earth Style technique!" he managed to instruct a capable Kitsuchi who was luckily right next to him.

The man quickly did as told, flawlessly achieving the desired effect by raising a pillar beneath the monster's foot, throwing it off balance.

Standing atop a mound, Neji watched in abject shock as the nuke flew a few dozen miles away and completed destroyed a landscape that exceeded the diameter of the current battlefield.

"That far away?" Kakashi murmured, breaking out into a sweat. "It's so much greater than all the previous Tailed Beast Bombs! What power!"

"It's wobbly from just that little counter," said Madara. "It's control isn't perfect yet."

"Next!" Obito's voice was the trigger for another nuke that landed in the sea.

The Jūbi fired off another before completely regaining its balance, the repercussion sending it toppling onto its back. But, even grounded, its head snapped around like a marionette, firing off another bomb. It landed short of its destination, utterly wiping out a remote residential area.

"Unbelievable!" Hiashi muttered in shock. "Such a far-off city destroyed in an instant!"

"AAAGH!" someone screamed.

Inadvertently causing destruction by merely repositioning its large mass, the fiend pushed itself onto its knees and a single arm, instantly charging another Bijuu Bomb.

"It's been acting strange for a while," said Ao, facilitating his sensory abilities with the aid of the Sensing Water Sphere. "It seems to be aiming far away!"

"So all the cities and people are within its range of fire?" concluded Shikaku frustratingly.

Inoichi's lips pressed to a displeased line. "Then that means the evacuated Feudal Lords, everyone protecting the villages... plus all the citizens of each nation aren't safe?"

"Our shinobi on the battlefield are fighting to protect everyone else... those two are trying to eliminate our reason for this war." his eyes narrowed pensively. Should we have evacuated the villages, like Naruto suggested?

Finding equilibrium despite a missing arm, the Jūbi locked keen, compass-like eyes in the direction of its target. And, as it generated the pure destructive force that was a Bijuu Bomb, there was a distinguishing air of calm in comparison to its previous attempts.

Neji followed the line of the nuke's trajectory. "That's the direction of—"

Ao flinched, noting the same thing the Hyūga had. T-This is..."

"What's wrong, Ao-dono?" asked Inoichi nervously.

The man lowered his head, mustering the courage and strength to convey his findings. "Please listen to me calmly."

Shikaku turned his attention to the ceiling of the facility, weaving the strings of one last strategy he hoped would turn the tides of the ensuing battle. Based on Ao's tone of voice, he didn't need to wait to be briefed on their current predicament. He knew the weapon of their destruction was en route to their location — and there was little time left.

"Shikaku... what do we do?" Inoichi asked as calmly as he could manage.

"Just keep doing what must be done," the man didn't need to consider, eyes burning with undeniable conviction. "It will be our last act. Put me through to everyone on the battlefield; I have a plan to stop the Jūbi ."

Shikamaru's heart sunk as he listened to his old man, deep lines of distraught etched beneath quivering eyes. But, no sooner had the crippling emotions started to spill out, than he suppressed them. If he truly wished to honor his father's final gambit, he couldn't allow grief to cloud is judgment. If he failed here, he would undoubtedly lose the rest of his family, too.

Ino also understood the truth of this. She allowed but a single tear to trickle across her cheek before hardening her resolve.

Madara regarded the towering explosion with evident satisfaction. "Finally got them," he said with an open smile. "We've now eliminated the brains of the Allied Forces. Like I said before: it's fundamental strategy."

"Shikamaru...," murmured Chōji, incapable of finding the right words that could possibly pacify his dejected comrade and best friend.

"We're in the middle of war right now," he responded with impressive composure. "Don't waste any words on me... or on Ino. Like dad said: we just have to do what we have to do."

"What are you all doing?" said Madara above the shrill of another charging Bijuu Bomb, effortlessly winning everyone's attention. "That was just the appetizer; the main course is just about to begin!"

Before anyone could rebound from their shock to intervene, the mountainous fiend fired off four more nukes — all of them bigger and more powerful than the last. The alliance didn't need to be physicists or geographers to figure out what the man's intentions were; what his targets were. It was evident on the twisted and sociopathic expression smeared across his face.

And the shinobi watched him in disbelief.

"Suna. Iwa. Kumo. Kiri — I just wiped these villages off the face of the planet!" the man declared with no remorse or pity, just a face-splitting grin befitting a mad tyrant. "With absolutely no leadership nor family or kin to protect, then what's the use in continuing this meaningless struggle? Submit yourselves to the Infinite Tsukuyomi."

"Exactly," Obito agreed empathetically. "You will be reunited with your friends and loved ones in a great utopia where there is no strife or violence. Robbing and killing to make ends meet would be a thing of the pass. This is the only way to stop the cycle of hatred and revenge that has plagued humanity since the beginning of time."

"Iya...," a kunoichi muttered, her lips quivering.

The thought of losing her five-month-old child had her legs buckling beneath her, and she slumped to the ground with a heartbreaking cry. The sorrowful outburst reverberated throughout the alliance like a cold storm, shattering what little hope to which the shinobi clung.

The promise of paradise from a pair of monsters held no solace. In reality, people just lost everything they had ever known and loved. The fire that kindled their motivation, dosed, in but a matter of seconds.

Devoid of emotion — seemingly broken beyond repair — the warriors looked on unseeingly into the darkness of night. Some desperately looked to one another for emotional support, but they too were caught in the web of despair. Others dropped to their knees and prayed to their God for a miracle. But those who had a greater bond with Naruto looked to the Child of Prophecy for strength and guidance.

They watched him — studying the calm decorum that looked alien amongst the grief-stricken alliance. Even as Madara regarded him challengingly, Naruto's expression never wavered.

"I'll leave Konohagakure for last," said the Uchiha with a menacing smile. "I want both you and Hashirama to helplessly bear witness as I slowly crush his legacy and your dream."

0