Chapter 03: A New Discovery?
48 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*5 years later in The Holy Dominion of Tiberius*

 

Brian relived some of his memories from the Day of Awakening as he walked down a busy road in the Holy Capital leading to his guild. His memories were not particularly pleasant as the weeks following the addition of the System there was a wave of crime and destruction. Regular citizens and criminals alike started to see the potential that the System could give them if they started killing. It does not matter what they kill but humans always give the most experience and at the time monsters still hadn't started spawning yet. "If only they had waited a few months for people to discover you could gain experience by training or studying," he thought to himself. It was still much faster to kill things like monsters though. He shook himself out of his memories because they would only serve to sour his mind. Brian reached a gate check point when he finished thinking about those bad memories. 

He stood in line to get through the gateway to the inner city. This was where all the rich and nobility lived but he could care less about them. He only cared about his guild on the other side of the gate. When he reached the gate he handed the guard his I.D. card he was given once he helped create the Magus Scholars. The guard barely even glanced at it before sending him through.

Brian Siges Commoner
Age 31
Guild Magus Scholars

 

On the back held a little image of his face.

His guild, the Magus Scholars, formed shortly after the Day of Awakening to study and research the phenomenon which gave them all assess to the System. They had only started learning things once people began leveling up. For instance when a person levels up they will always gets a treasure chest with random loot. It was found out quite quickly that the loot from lower level chests were painfully bad. Brian still had no idea how he lucked out with that healing stim as they only commonly showed up in level 5 chests and above. If he didn't have that spawn in when it did he would have died from his injuries. He still sported the long scars on his shoulder and hand, which sometimes itched uncontrollably.

Another important thing that his guild found out was that each level you gained would cause a person to need more experience to level up again. The first 15-20 levels are not hard to get within a couple years but that's where the problem arises. The time and work that goes into leveling up rises exponentially the higher your level is, and so far they have not found a limit to how high the levels can go. So far the highest publicized level was 57 by a renowned adventurer. Brian's own level is at 24 which is on the lower side compared to his guild mates but he likes to focus on research not hunting monsters so it doesn't bother him.

Brian finally arrived at the main guild hall and promptly entered. Within lay a large overarching ceiling with support beams jutting out of the floor holing up the heavy roof. Down bellow was a small library containing the fruits of their hard work, a set of large wooden tables for discussions, and in the back there were individual rooms for experimentation.

One of his friends spotted him in the doorway and shouted, "Brian get your ass over here. Your going to want to hear this!" His loud friend drew annoyed looks from the people in the library. His friend was dressed in a scholarly robe, like most of them are, including Brian, and like usual acted like he was twenty years younger than he really was. 

"Wikkar why cant you act your age? Your almost 70 right?" He had just walked over to the guild and the old man was already getting on his nerves. Plus he had only arrived at the guild a few minuets before.

Brian's old friend looked at him with an incredulous but hurt face, "Hey I'm sixty six and you know it! Anyway if its anyone that should act their age it you! You're always too quite!"

Brian could almost feel the force and vibrations of the mans voice even though he was a good give feet away from him. He sighed and asked, "Ok, what did you want to show me?"

Wikkar smiled suspiciously like he was planning something and then said. "I'll tell you if you promise to do something for me."

Looking at the old man he could see he was up to no good so he responded in the only way that made sense to him. He turned around and left to sit by the library. Wikkar yelled in surprise, "H.. HEY! Wait I'm not joking around this time." Brian looked up at him from a book he picked up with doubtful eyes.

Wikkar sat down in the chair in front of Brian and stared at him until he couldn't stand it anymore.

"Ok! Fine what do you want?" He said with a sigh after he failed to ignore Wikkar.

"Ha ha that's my boy," Wikkar said jokingly while standing up to slap his back. "Ok come with me." This time Wikkar seemed less mischievous.

Wikkar lead Brian through the guild hall to the back of the building where their was a stair case leading down into the basement. The inside of the basement had a moist, stuffy smell that made his nose itchy and he hated the place because of it. Inside the basement was the guilds treasury, storage, and was where the guild leaders held meetings. Sitting down next to Wikkar in one of the seats surrounding a round table Brian waited for his fellow guild leaders to start speaking. There were four others already present at the moment.

Seeing that everyone was there one of the four started speaking. His name was Nikolai Karmlik."Ok now that everyone is present I will start off with the interesting news. We all know that when the Day of Awakening happened their was a huge spike of magic causing the earthquakes and other natural disasters. Those of us who were using magic circles at the time suffered some serious backlash from the rebound. Anyway for years the data we got from those magic circles were so corrupted that we could do anything with them, but I finally translated a good portion of a locating spell." Nikolai pulled out a map from under the table and rolled it out on for everyone to see. It showed a map of their nation and the surrounding wilderness. Pulling out a set of ink and quill he circled an area of forest a good couple hundred miles away. "Right here." He said pointing at the circle.

With a confused face Brian asked, "Why, what's over there? It's over three hundred miles away?"

His face full of confidence Nikolai elaborated what he meant, "This is where it came from, the Day of Awakening emanated from somewhere in this area."

At this bombshell news all of them looked at him with faces shock, disbelief, and then excitement. "How can you be sure that it came from there since this info came from all of that corrupted data? And shouldn't we inform the Royal Family of this news?"

Nikolai smiled at that."Good questions everyone but I know it's true because the data that was corrupted is basically just words, letters, and numbers that have been jumbled so bad its incomprehensible. I had to design some new magic spells to help me otherwise it would have been impossible. And lets not tell the Royal Family because they would just ruin the data we could get. I think we all know that from past experience"

Brian looking satisfied with the answer glanced around and asked, "Alright well, who's going to go and investigate?"

"Why you are, with Wikkar, Gregory, and of course myself." Nikolai said.

Brian got up immediately with an annoyed face, "It's hundred of miles out in the boonies! I understand that this is a ground breaking subject of research but you know how I feel about going out into the wilderness."

Wikkar's face morphed back into that same evil look as before, "Now now Brian remember how you agreed to help me out with something earlier?"

This time it was Gregory who spoke up, "Ha, like you get to complain, I have a wife and family I need to inform that I'm to be gone for months and that I might die while I'm gone."

With Brian being outvoted by his friends he slumped back into his chair whispering. "Traitors."

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Brian's Stats after time jump

Spoiler

(I forgot to add this in this chapter but  it would be easier to write it here. For every five levels a person gets they get a one new inventory slot. The only requirement needed for some thing to fit in an inventory slot is that you need to be able to carry it with your own strength/power)

 

[Brian Siges]

[Level] : 24
[Next Lvl] : 76%

[Health] : 120/120    [Stamina] : 100/100    [Mana] : 380/380

[Constitution] : 12[30]   [Intelligence] :  19[30]  [Wisdom] : 15[30]

[Strength] : 10[30]    [Charisma] : 11[30]   [Dexterity] : 10[30]

[Luck] : 6[10]

...INVENTORY...

[Small Magic Dagger]
[Small Bag of Coins]
[Light Rations]
[05 SLOTS LEFT]

 

...EVOLUTION...

[Stats not met current requirements]

[collapse]

 

 

 

 

2