Chapter: 9 Setting out to the Sea.
1.1k 2 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After exchanging the cups of Sake; the notoriety of the four boys continued to increase.

Everyday the four boys would continue to risk their lives in various adventures; whether to rob and beat the criminals in Grey Terminal; or to hunt down dangerous beasts; whether to create trouble for the shitty old bag; or playing in the wild; everything was fun; but their notoriety wasn't the only thing growing; their was also advancing by leaps and bounds as well.

Sometimes Makino and Village Chief would come to visit us while hiding from Garp; while Oceana's visit was a common occurrence as she was the person who was training the 4 boys. 

There were times when Garp would come for checking out the boys who unknowingly to him had turned four from three at some point. Garp's visit would most certainly lead to the beat down of four boys as all they ever talked about was to become a pirate.

At later point in time; the four boys moved out of Shitty Old Bag's house to live in a house of their own. 

In this manner their adventures continued.

But all good things must come to an end at some point in time.

And right now was that point.

The biological father of Sabo; who is a high level noble in the Goa Kingdom finally claim to get back Sabo; and for doing so he hired the help of Blue jam Pirates. Ace, Sabo, Zach and Luffy were strong; but not strong enough to be able to fight against the brute pirates like Blue Jam's whole crew; as a result of which Sabo gave in to the threat of his father and finally choose to go with him; because at the time he had no other choice as his decision could decide the life and death of his 3 brothers.

After Sabo left with his father; Ace, Zach and Luffy helped the Blue Jam pirates as they were short at hands to complete a task given to them by the Nobles of the Central District.

Zach for some reason was feeling a little strange; although he wasn't sure what was happening but somehow he felt that something bad is about to happen; but he was still not sure, as he didn't remember much of the One Piece story.

Although worried but Zach still compiled with Blue Jam pirates as they had no other choice but he still secretly sent few messages to Oceana about what happened with Sabo and about his bad feeling with the help of a bird.

Additionally he also sent a letter to Sabo so that he doesn't worry about the three of them and make sure to tackle the problems he has at his own end.

...

On the Sabo's end trouble were not less, first he was threatened by his father to put all the blame of all the crimes the four committed together on the heads of the other three; otherwise it will affect the status of their family; but he didn't budge on this subject; and no matter how much his father pressured him he still stated to the officer in charge whatever the four of them did he willingly joined them and denied otherwise.

Secondly he was humiliated by his own mother and the foster younger brother his family adopted while he was living in the Grey Terminal.

Later when he found out about the so called cleaning the Nobles were going to do; He couldn't resist anymore and ran off his house to do something about the situation.

He asked many other residents of the noble districts if they knew about the so called cleaning 'Filth', and he was shocked to find out that all of'em knew about it and they were in fact happy that their kingdom was finally gonna be free of all the 'trash'.

Sabo finally couldn't take it anymore, he decided to go to the Grey Terminal to warn Ace, Zach and Luffy about it, he had to make sure that the three of them remain safe.

Sabo ran and ran and ran, by the time he reached the gates of the Grey Terminal; it was already on the fire, while running he stumbled upon someone wearing a long green cloak hiding most of his face.

"What troubles you. boy?" asked the man in green cloak.

And with this their conversation began; where Sabo tearfully expressed how ashamed he is of being born as a noble and that it was the nobles in the city responsible for what was happening today.

.............

On the other side,

3 young boys were standing on the cliff on a mountain, obviously these 3 young boys are Ace, Zach and Luffy, behind the three of them is Oceana standing with a Sword at her waist and on the side are Shitty Old Bag and the other mountain bandits.

Luffy is crying while watching the fire raging to burn the entire Grey Terminal while the rest of them are expressionless.

Zach's worries came true; as Ace, Zach and Luffy found out the information that the Grey Terminal was going to be burned tonight. Since the three wanted to inform the residents of this conspiracy therefore they were captured and bound by the Blue jam pirates.

Thankfully Oceana arrived in time and rescued the three of them; and together the three of them fought and defeated most of the Blue Jam pirates.

While fighting a certain member of the Blue Jam pirates hurt Luffy with a Sword; at that moment out of anger certain shock waves were caused; with Ace as the center; that knocked out most of the pirates; while on the other hand everything became very slow in Zach's field of view.

Zach felt as if he could both hear and listen to everything with in 10 meter radius circle around him.

Zach wasn't sure but he guessed that maybe he accidentally awakened Haki. Although it was only momentary but he had a feeling that it was Observation Haki; as Oceana has numerous times told him about her experience of using Haki.

And Zach also guessed that what happened with Ace was probably an accidental eruption of Conqueror's Haki; that knocked out most of the Blue Jam Pirates. 

Later both Ace and Zach together killed every Blue Jam Pirate including the Captain; but Oceana didn't let them do anything for the other residents of the now burning Grey Terminal.

Obviously they couldn't just except this; but Oceana didn't let them interfere in this matter.

As for the reason why...?

Does the three of them dare to ask Oceana the reason?

The only explanation Oceana gave was that they are far too weak to be able to do anything for the people of Grey Terminal.

Helpless they can only watch the Grey Terminal burn completely and after few hours turn back to leave the area to go back to their house.

.................

Next Day,

Dogura who went to collect information in the town came back with a very heavy face.

"What's wrong Dogura? Why the heavy face!" Shitty Old Bag asked.

Upon her questioning he turned towards Ace, Zach and Luffy.

Dogura walked towards the three and said in a trembling voice "G-guys... I have to tell you something... S-Sabo i-is... Dead."

Everyone looked at him and he continued slowly: "He Died, a Celestial Dragon K-k-killed him. He was in a ship that was near the Celestial Dragon's ship; and... They shot him... Making his ship burn on fire and killing him."

Ace looked at him with an angry expression and shouted while jumping on him to attack him: "That's a stinking lie! Don't even joke about that!"

Dogura, who was in the ground, looked at Ace and said: "It's no lie, and certainly no joke...!! It was so sudden, even I barely knew what was happening... I doubted my own eyes...!!! I thought I had to be dreaming, or hallucinating!!!"

Ace was angry and shouted: "Shut up! Sabo returned to his noble house! Why would he be at the sea!?"

This time Luffy supported Ace shouting: "That's right! He returned!"

Zach didn't know what to say; he felt deep pain in his head when he heard Dagura said about Sabo's death; he couldn't keep his consciousness; he couldn't understand what Dogura was speaking or what Ace was shouting; or what Shitty Old Bag was spouting; all he was feeling was regret, sadness, guilt and self blame.

Tears kept coming off Zach's eyes. This is the 2nd time when someone close to him died and he could do nothing.

'Did my presence change the future? Sabo... shouldn't have died! After all! He appeared in Dressrosa Arc after the 2 year time skip, then how could Sabo die? Damn.. I... shouldn't have...... gotten involved......... too deeply; I've caused... irreparable...... consequences.' Were the last thoughts of Zach as he fainted.

.......................

Next Day,

Zach woke up to find that Ace was tied up to a tree outside the house. Zach asked Dogura why did they tie Ace who later explained the reason.

While they were talking; A seagull arrived with a letter.

Dogura received the letter and the sender of this letter turned out to be Sabo.

[To My Brothers at Mt. Colbo-- Draken D. Sabo]

"Sabo sent a letter!!?? Give it to me, I swear I won't go to the city anymore. This letter is for us, right?" Ace asked while still tied up.

"Well let me open it...." Zach said while tearing the envelope to read the letter from Sabo as both Ace and Zach walked to a cliff.

'Ace, Zach, Luffy...

I expect that you weren't hurt in the fire, although I'm sure that the three of you'll be fine but I was still worried about your safety.

I feel kind of bad telling you this, but by the time you read this letter...

...I'll already be out at sea. One thing led to another, and it looks like I'll be setting sail ahead of you guys. As for where I'll go...

Anywhere outside of this country is fine by me. Once I arrive, I'll get stronger and become a real pirate.

Once all four of us have become pirates with more freedom than anyone in the world, let's meet again someday.

Somewhere out there in the wide open sea, I know I'll see you three again!!

Till then I'll live with the memories of the four of us together and the album that records photos of our adventures.

One more thing, Ace. Which of the two of us is the oldest?

It's a bit strange to have two eldest brother, don't you think?

Zach and Luffy are our younger brothers and this bond of our brotherhood will always be my greatest treasure.

Zach may be the strongest of us in terms of strength but at core he is still our younger brother and greatly depends on the two of us;

as for Luffy who is still pretty weak, and a bit of a cry baby... ...but he is also our little brother.

Please look after the two of them for me.'

Even Ace couldn't hold anymore; tears tell from his eyes, while Zach was already crying all the way. 

After crying till eyes were swollen red; both Ace and Zach went back to Shitty Old Bag's cabin and ate a lot. Ace didn't eat anything for almost 2 days because of various things happening; and same is the case with Zach.

After eating whole lot; both Ace and Zach left to look for Luffy.

.................

Luffy was currently at the cliff where the 4 boys would often come. This is also the place where the 4 boys talked about their dream.

The almost 8 year old Luffy; lied with his face facing the ground and his straw hat rested on the back of his head.

Memories flashing through his head...

The day that they discovered that Sabo was son of a noble, when Sabo talked about his dream, when Ace talked about his dream, when Zach talked about his dream, when he talked about his dream, when they discussed a new name for Sabo, when they shared a cup of Sake and made the vow of brotherhood and all sorts of memories of their adventure since both Zach and he came to live at Mt. Colbo.

Luffy was lost in the sea of memories, he didn't notice that Ace and Zach were approaching him.

Ace looked at him and with an angry expression and hit his head with a punch and said, "How long are you going to carry on like that...?"

Seeing Luffy giving no reply; Ace continued, "All the treasure we hid in the forest was gone. Sabo didn't use it in the end... So... I think I'm... Okay with that. No use collecting treasure if we can't even protect it... What do you think Zach?"

Zach who was already lying on the ground with his hand on the back of his head and gazing at the limitless sky turned to look at Ace and then answered, "I don't really care about it either."

"... Ace... Zach... I... I want to... I want to get stronger!!!... Stronger... and stronger!! And stronger, and stronger, and stronger and stronger...!!! and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger... and stronger, and stronger!!! and then even more stronger!!! Then I'll be able... to protect anything! I won't have to lose anyone anymore......!!!" Luffy

"... ..." (Ace and Zach while looking at Luffy)

"You two gotta promise me...!!...Don't you... Ever Die...! Ace...!! Zach...!!" Luffy said while crying.

"The hell's that supposed to mean?!! Try worrying about yourself instead of us dumbass!!! You're a hell of a lot weaker than either of us!!! Listen up Luffy and remember this!!! I'm not going to die!!!" Ace

"Same for me! If I die than who's gonna the strongest man in the world?" Zach said with a laugh.

"uh-huh..." Luffy nodded to the two with teary eyes.

"Sabo asked me to look after you two, too... So I'm not gonna die, no matter what!! That's a promise!! Like hell I could die and leave my two younger brothers behind!" Ace

"......!!uh-huh......uh-huh......!!" Luffy

"...grin..." Zach

"I'm not all that smart, so I can't figure out what was really responsible for Sabo's death...... But whatever it was, it must be something totally opposed to freedom...!! Sabo died without ever truly becoming free... But the three of us shared that drink with Sabo... ...and we're still alive!!! So remember this, Luffy and Zach. No matter what, the three of us... have to live our lives with no regrets!!!" Ace

"Yeah!!!" Luffy

"That's for sure!" Zach

"We're going to set out to sea someday...!! Live our lives the way we want to...!! With more freedom than anyone in the world!!! I'm sure we will end up making a lot of enemies on the way... even gramps will be our enemy!! We'll be risking our lives!! But when we grow strong enough, we set sail !! We're going to be... ... to be Pirates!!!" Ace said to which both Zach and Luffy nodded strongly.

Then, that day onward they started to train intensely.

In the blink of an eye 3 years passed. Now Ace is currently 14 years old while Luffy is 11 years old and as for Zach? He is 13 years old.

Today is the day when Zach is going to set out to the sea.

Ace and Luffy are going to start their journey at the age of 17 but that's not the case for Zach who has long since decided to set out to sea at the age of 13 to further avoid causing too much butterfly effects because of his actions. 

"Good Luck Zach!" Ace and Luffy wished good luck to Zach.

"Take care Oceana-chan!" Makino and Windmill village chief also bid farewell to Oceana.

On this day Louis D. Zach Newgate; son of Whitebeard quietly set sail from the coast of Mt. Colbo, together with Oceana as the navigator of the ship Crane Wing and Wendy to pet.

What storms will this young boy bring to the world is still unknown as only time will tell the tales of Zach's forthcoming adventures out in this magical world of One Piece. 

27