31: New Blood
647 8 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We walked through the keep grounds unbothered. Our fellow guards hardly spared us a glance as they went about their daily patrols.

Patrolling, I thought, watching a lightly armored woman stride past a frozen fountain with a pair of short swords strapped to her belt. Probably would've kept us warm if we did that. Oh, well.

Halting before the wide stone doors of the keep, I looked at Frost. "So, we've got to make a plan."

He frowned, puffing so hard his breath clouded pretty-boy face. "A plan for what?"

"Obviously for when we run into the lord and lady."

"Oh!" His eyes lit up as he nodded fervently. "I say we just bow and stay quiet until they keep moving."

"Simple enough. We'll find the warmest place in the keep - a kitchen, perhaps - and shill guard duty on some low ranking guard."

"How will we know they're low-ranking? Wouldn't most guards in the keep be {Elites}? Or, at the very least, stronger than you?"

"Hmm...I suppose you're right."

I moved toward him and he flinched back, but I only handed back his bow and quiver. "Go inside and scout around," I told him. "Don't talk to anybody until I come and find you, alright?"

His eyes widened at the prospect of going inside the building all by himself. "W-well what will you be doing?"

"I reckon the only fellows out here are your level and below," I said. "I'll order a few of 'em to take over our spots."

"How-"

I cut him off, shoving him toward the keep doors. "Stop asking questions before you freeze to death again."

"A-alright," he muttered, turning to face the entry. "I'm...I'll be going now."

"Okay."

"...Here I go!"

He stayed rooted in the snow, petrified. Sighing, I reached out to slap the back of his head but paused. He doesn't need that right now. With a groan, I laid my hand on his shoulder and squeezed it gently.

When he looked back at me, I offered him an awkward smile and said, "You'll be fine. I'll come inside soon enough, alright?"

Frost nodded and I released him, leaving him to face whatever was inside alone. I had my own task to deal with.

I'm gonna freeze if I don't get this done soon.

Rubbing my arms, I trenched through the keep grounds, searching for a random {Guard} to intercept on patrol. Meandering through the paths that led all throughout the keep grounds, I eventually came across a patrol of two {Guards}, one male and the other female. Both held poorly kept swords instead of the dingy spears I'd had.

Wonder how many times I would've died with a sword instead of a spear? Eh, probably the same amount, if not more. Sword has less reach. I walked up to them, examining their faces as I grew close. They looked...blank. Will I have to go through the same process every time just to talk to someone new?

I didn't want to meet new guards by being repetitive. That'd get boring and then, after a while, all I'd have left to talk to is Frost. Crystal would've been a better conversationalist, for sure. Even if she was a traitor.

Frowning, I shook my head. It's no use crying over spilled milk. She was long gone. Although, sometimes, I couldn't help but wonder what had happened to her. If she was still alive and well or if the frozen wastelands of Elden had gotten to her. If she died from hypothermia, where would she respawn? Would she respawn if she died? Was that possible?

Whatever made us had clearly replaced her with Frost. Did that mean her point of respawning was taken? Would she be lost to time if she died?

A helmeted head slammed into my chin, sending me stumbling back. Wincing as I rubbed my jaw, I looked for my assaulted and found the female guard staring at me blankly, standing still in the snow. Her partner continued without her, pausing only when he brushed shoulders with me. He turned awkwardly, inching around me to continue his patrol.

Strange. Why did she stop and he kept moving? Is it because I was in the way of her path? But I was in his and he just moved around me.

The male guard had since returned to normal after he walked around me, so I trotted after him and grabbed his armored shoulder. He wore a gambeson, like me, but I could tell just by feeling it that it was better quality than mine.

A bit miffed, I squeezed his shoulder harder than need be, pulling him back towards me. "Oi, mate," I said, putting on my best tough-guy persona. "You don't look like you're doing much. How about you take over for me at the gate for a little while, huh? My bum's freezin' out there."

I watched him twitch as he opened his mouth to say his preprogrammed response but I didn't give him the chance, shaking him roughly. "Hey, hey, don't be like that! Be a pal and help a guy out, wontcha?"

He shuddered, blinking rapidly as he entered the 'Awakened state'.

"O-okay. I can...I can...go...guard the gate in your place," he stated.

I slapped his back in good nature. "Good man! Let's go see if your partner feels the same way."

"Shelly?" he murmured, walking over to his partner. They chatted for a while before he turned back to me. "Yeah, she'll do it."

I paused. "She already has a name?"

He frowned up at me. "Yeah? Why wouldn't she?"

"I...I don't know. What's your name?"

"Chuck."

Nothing related to snow or the cold, I see.

That's a little embarrassing but I'm not gonna admit that to Chuck.

"Well, you and Shelly have fun," I said. "Keep a special watch for invaders."

He nodded, dragging 'Shelly' toward the gate. "Sure."

I didn't bother watching them leave, miffed with just about everything now. But I wasn't going to let their special treatment get me down! I had a keep to enter and an {Archer} to find!

26