32: Rightie and Leftie
540 8 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having easily convinced the new blood to take over our positions, I left the outer courtyard and entered the gatehouse, pushing through the large stone doors obstructing my path. [Lesser Radar] pinged {Guards} hiding behind walls and, through the murder holes, I could see them quietly watching me pass. Averting my eyes from their blank faces, I made my way through the gatehouse and entered the inner courtyard.

Here, I found an unusual bustle of activity. Various workmen shoveled snow off of the red brick paths, tugged on the leashes of fat pigs and goats, and attended to the garden of pale blue flowers in the center of the courtyard. {Guards} of all shapes and sizes patrolled in and out of the keep, occasionally shoving aside an idle worker who got in their way. The shoulder plates of their brigandine armor gleamed in the winter sun, as blinding as the great white ball of fire itself.

Envy reared its ugly head as I watched them go about their day, wielding metal-metal, not stone!-weapons without a care in the world. No time for ogling. There are probably even better-armored {Guards} inside. I don't have time to waste over them.

Frost was probably waiting somewhere inside for me, scared out of his mind. Pursing my lips, I jogged toward the keep doors, rubbing my hands together as I did so.

So numb. Gosh, this blizzard is awful.

The two {Guards} protecting the doors crossed their javelins at me. "Halt," the right one said. "Who are you and what business do you bring for the lord?"

Frowning, I said, "I guard the front gates."

He scowled. "Like the other one? You-"

"Hold," the left {Guard} said, lifting up one glove. He tilted his head at me, a sneer on his scarred face. "Why aren't you at your post?"

The other one? He must mean Frost. And what's Leftie on about? I held back a groan, thinking Frost must've done something stupid while he was here.

"Answer now or we'll deal with you swiftly," Rightie snarled.

Gritting my teeth, I obliged. "What's all this hostility? I'm coming off my shift, you know. I'll be a right icicle if I'm out in the snow much longer."

Leftie brought his javelin closer to my chest, poking through the wool of my gambeson. With a growl, he said, "Shifts, eh? Not what the other '{Guard}' told us."

Of course. I pushed back his weapon, growling right back. "Oi, oi, I don't speak for that bloke. To each their own! What I know is that I say I'm coming off my shift!"

"Who took it up, huh?"

"Chuck and Shelly, o'course." I narrowed my eyes at the two _Guards}, deciding to play their own game right back at them. "You're rightly confused bout who works around here, aren't ya? Mighty suspicious, if I don't say so myself."

Leftie snorted. "Says the false {Guard}! I've never heard of a Chuck nor a Shelly in my life!"

"What're you on about? Go on and see 'em at the gate; they've taken my spot on their shift!"

"Do you take us for fools?" Rightie cried, shoving his javelins into my face. "You'd best reveal your intentions now before we force them out of you!"

"Why you..."

21