34: Acolyte
500 7 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon entering the keep, the swift and sudden change from freezing snow to stagnant, warm air caught me by surprise. The heat was welcome compared to the winter wonderland, but holy heck, was it hot. My extremities tingled as I unwrapped the cloth tied around them and shoved them into my belt, next to my stun sticks.

Enjoying feeling once more, I stepped aside for a passing man in a fancy robe. He scoffed at me, muttering about disrespectful guards under his breath. In response, I shifted my foot to the side just a little, catching his immaculate green shoes on my scuffed boots. The man tripped, flailing his arms as he stumbled forward.

I snatched the back of his robe's collar, letting him hang diagonally to the floor for a second before pulling him up. "Are you alright, sir?" I asked.

He sputtered, eyes wide as he flung one fat finger in my face. "You tripped me!" he screeched, spittle flying out of his mouth.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said calmly, wiping my cheek and stepping back from the enraged man. "You must've caught the hem of your robe."

"You-you liar!" His shouts drew the attention of others in the keep's lobby-especially the {Guards} with large, spiky maces at their belt. "How dare you lie to an acolyte of Johanna!?"

"Um...Who?"

The acolyte's eyes bulged as he stared at me, breathing heavily. His pudgy face reddened and he reared back, puffing up like a balloon. "You heathen! How dare you spout such blasphemy?! You disrespect the Goddes of Truth"

Is this bad? This is probably bad. The mace guys are staring at me all nasty like. Time to defuse the situation.

I bowed my head, forcing every ounce of sincerity through my words as I spoke. "Pardon me, good acolyte! I'm but a simple guard and no nothing of the ways of your goddess! I meant no disrespect!"

After a moment, of awkward silence, I bowed a little lower, bending at the waist. He harrumphed and crossed his arms over his belly. "I will let this slight slide if you meet me at the keep chapel for weekly gatherings."

"I, um-" I glanced up, saw the menacing mace {Guards}, and agreed immediately.

He did a complete one-eighty, beaming up at me as he adjusted his robes. "Splendid! I will return tomorrow for service. I expect you to be in the front row seat!"

"Yes, well, depending on when you come, I might be on my shift..."

"Nonsense!" he quipped, waving a dismissive hand. "I'll have your schedule cleared beforehand so you won't have any obstructions!"

"...I look forward to the service, acolyte..."

He laughed, clapping his hands together before turning on his heel-whipping my shins with his robe as he did so-and strode toward the doors.

17