47: Pleasant Conversation
174 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hale finally came back while I was working out. She stopped in the doorway, watching me push my feet off of the wall, twist around on my knuckles, and stare up at her. Upon seeing the clothes in her arms, I bent my elbows and knees, leaning back so I fell on my feet.

"Thanks," I said, hopping up. I gratefully took the clothing from her. Two pairs of trousers and two thin tunics. My old gambeson and boots sat on top. To my pleasure, there were socks stuffed in the boots. I took a seat on the only chair in the room sitting under the window - which I had already closed.

"The {Maids} were all too happy to help," she murmured.

"They sound nice, then," I replied, pulling on a tunic. The shirt fits me quite well. Slipping my feet into socks, I asked, "So, what are you then?"

She blinked. "What?"

The socks were a bit tight but I could manage. At least they kept my feet warm. "What are you?" I repeated. "You're obviously not human and the only other non-humans I've seen was a Gnome and that furry prick that got me thrown in the donjon. And you're neither."

Ex-

Shut up.

"Yes, well...I'm a Kox."

"Never heard of it."

"We're rare," she said, her eyes narrowing.

"Huh. The rest of you guys so eager to be open and stuff?"

"Excuse me?"

I gestured towards her body, which she had covered with tight clothing that was barely better than her being naked. "You know," I said. "Open."

Her eyes flared white and she hissed, her tongue flicking back and forth. "Do you frequently make generalizations about those you don't understand?"

I frowned. "So, what, are you the promiscuous outlier?"

She lunged at me so suddenly I barely had time to react. Bringing up my arms, I blocked the claws that came flying at my face. Wincing as they dug into unprotected flesh, I forced my legs to pick me up and forward. Hale dashed backed, yanking her claws out of my forearms. I stumbled forward, disoriented by my shallow wounds.

hMm?

Sommmmmmething's wrong...I can't.......think Straight...

Ugh...I'm used...to pAiNnnn. oh. Hi Groundd.

6