The Duke’s Daughter
137 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You love eating with me aren't you?" A voice asked me in a teasing tone.

"Huh? I like it just fine."

"Rea~lly? You invite me quite often lately~"

"No way."

"Eyy~ don't be shy~ it's funny seeing you go all tsundere like that~"

"Am not. I didn't invite you at all today! It's you who come crashing in here to eat!"

"Omo! I come here so you won't cry eating alone you know~!"

Hearing that, my body stiffen. I look up and saw a knowing look on that face. Before I can say any word of objection to hide, a sentence came out from him again. This time, without any playful tone, staring my eyes seriously.

"Well, I like eating with you."
"Hey, from now on, let's eat together every day." 
Sending me a warm smile, my heart filled with bottled up emotions.

Really, this person.

 

‡‡

 

It's been a week since the last incident where I received my other memory.

A week inside the mansion.
A week packed with princess education.
A week of the same hellish routine.

Really, I'm surprised I'm able to withstands it all this years. Before I had any recollections of my past memory, I did them all effortlessly.
Right after I graduated from the academy, I do my routine obediently. I simply thought it's the matter of course, as I am the crown prince fiancée. Therefore, I did my best to do what others demanded me to do.

But thinking about it again, isn't all of this useless? After all, in the end the crown prince is one of the capture target and will ended up with the heroine.

Oh no. You can't be depressed. 
Evelyn like the other protagonist will do a counter attack later. She will make a large scale business and be the first female boss. Yes. For that She needs a lot of knowledge. I need to work hard. That's right. It's good. I'm good. We'll be good.

I nod my head quietly, satisfied with my reasoning. Moving my hand again, I focus back on my dinner.

Taking another bite, a juicy meat burst out in my mouth. It cooked with delicate techniques and seasoned well. The flavour hit right on my taste buds and the delicious smell makes my mouth waters.

Ahh... I want to ask the chef how to make this dishes. 
Foods really soothe me a lot.

I gently put down my silverware then dabbed my mouth after finishing my dinner, feeling satisfied. Opening one of my lids, my eye found a row of empty chairs across my seat. On the end of the table, a meal for one person arranged nicely. The once warm dish turn cold long ago.

Eating is my enjoyable past time.
However, eating a full course by my self sure is lonely.

It's not that I never eat alone before. I actually eat alone quite often in my previous live too. But still, occasionally, someone will join me for a meal. Even if it's only a ramen in a cramped apartment, I know I'm happy .

Being here, eating in a huge dinning table with no one else seated. A dine with myself, accompanied with the servants stationed by the wall. I can only sigh at this uncomfortable feeling.

"It looks like the Duke will come back late again today." Irwin inform me from behind. It looks like he notice my depressed mood. I sigh quiet often these days huh?

"Is that so." I replied. I don't care anymore.  
Without you telling me, I can see it clearly.

That father of mine rarely shows up. Forget eating together, greeting him when he comeback late at night is already rare.

He is quite busy because of his duty as a diplomat. And according to his personal butler cum aide, currently there is some troublesome affair with one of the neighboring country. That, adding less presence of him at home.

At first, I thought it would be a good idea to charm him and make him a doting father, but it did not work as well as i thought it would. The last time I saw him is five days ago. I already giving up. I'm too tired to wait for him coming home.

My mother? oh, she left early when I was still learning in the Academy. It said that she felt really lonely being left alone in the house that she ask for a divorce. Did she forgot about her daughter who still frequently met her?

Surprisingly, my parents actually married because they love each other before. So,I don't know the reason my father agree to it is because he also tired or he love her that he let her go. Well, things happens.

Although they divorced, father didn't remarried nor treat me badly. Like usual, My father still give me the best things, and still absent in my life. I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

Perhaps this is another reason why Evelyn did that hellish training? Trying her best to get acknowledge? To get attention? to be loved?  Maybe, I also similar to my mother.

"Would you like to take a stroll in the garden my lady? It's good for your body to digest your food. And you can pass time— "

"No." I cut him.
"Will go back to my room and rest" I said, standing up.

"Certainly."
"Have a good rest, my lady"

This education i have to to go trough. This knowledge I had to know. This lack love. This abundant yet empty wealth.

Well, I guess this is what the normal noble's daughter live is.

In this extravagant estate,  standing here, feeling alone.

‡‡

 

1