Chapter7- Beep.
65 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elric looked towards the teenager.
“Well, aren’t you hella fuckin’ suspicious.”

The teenager flinched, but continued speaking.
“I-I can be useful. Please let me join.”

Elric put his hands on his hips and asked tauntingly, “Hoh?  And what can you possibly help with?”

The teenager slammed her hands on her table anxiously, scaring the already horrified people in her group.“I’m really good with healing magic!”

“Pffft-”
Elric signaled behind him, at Zaleis, “You see this guy?”

He slapped Zaleis on his back, making the man choke.
“This guy’s got all the magic I need.”

Elric looked towards Jaylin,“No offense, newbie.”

Jaylin glanced at the young man.

And then ignored him.

Meanwhile, the teenage girl clenched her fists on the sleeves of her hoodie.

“B-but...” 
Zaleis narrowed his eyes at the young girl almost like he was inspecting her, and spoke,

“Young master, let her come along.”

“Really?”
Elric and the teenager spoke in unison, using entirely different tones.

Elric sighed, “Fine then, whatever you say.”

The teenagers eyes lit up in delight as she bowed bowed deeply. “T-Thank you!”

Zaleis’ expression hadn’t lightened in the slightest.

He sent a telepathic message to Elric, that Jaylin shamelessly listened in on.
Young master, I sense a strong magical presence on her, keep your guard up.

Exilis gave his opinion to Jaylin after hearing it too.
Well, I though it was some magic charm or something, but I suppose if we’re looking at in in a paranoid way, then it could be a magical entity.

Jaylin looked towards the teenager, looking into the thing she was hiding.
Hm. Interesting. Well it’s none of my business.

Exilis was annoyed. You’re not even gonna tell me?

If you just used some mana, you’d be able to tell too.
Jaylin retorted

Pfft, waste of mana.

Jaylin sighed, no doubt expecting such a reaction.

Zaleis turned towards an employee, that had been standing dumbfounded with the rest of the probationary members.

“I assume you know what to mark down on the quest list?”

“U-Uh no sir, no I d-don’t.”

“Really? I thought you were smarter than that.”

“A-Ah! I’ll o-only write the name of t-the young man who g-got the quest..!”
The employee said, tremblingly.

Zaleis smiled kindly at the employee, who flinched in response.

The employee turned to Jaylin. Jaylin’s naturally bright eyes calmed him down, and he regained some confidence.

“And your name, sir?”

“Jaylin.”

“Last name?”

“...”
Jaylin was quiet for a moment while Exilis explained to him what a last name was.

“Just Jaylin.”

The employee stared at him with a raised brow. He turned to Zaleis as if asking for help.

Zaleis smile became softer.

The employee shuddered in terror and rapidly wrote the name ‘Jaylin’ down on the quest list.

“Let’s get moving already!”

Shouted Elric

“Don’t fret, Young Master”

Zaleis activated a teleportation spell and attempted to teleport the four away.

Naturally, he was unable to drag Jaylin with the spell because a teleportation spell is the transportation of ones mana storage as well. A skinny twig cannot drag a fat man to his destination, and Jaylin was left standing as the other three disappeared.

Jaylin noticed this right after they left. He activated his own teleportation spell and followed them.

He appeared half a second after the others.

Zaleis looked slightly confused. “That’s strange. Mr. Jaylin, you seemed to be a tad bit delayed.”

Elric, impatient, pushed the matter aside, “Well newbie’s here now, ain’t he? Let’s get going!

Zaleis sighed quietly.

“It’s illegal to teleport directly into public places, so I teleported us to the teleport station nearest to the Suspension Railway. It’s a bit of a walk so I’ll have to trouble you two.”

Jaylin was half listening as he looked around the space they were in. Apparently it was a teleport station. The teleportation spell was rare as many complications could arise if the destination was not perfectly calculated. The amount of mental stability and mana control needed to even use it was incredible and it was clear Zaleis had some talent, based solely on that.

Even so... Jaylin continued to investigate this ‘teleport station’. It was quite the inventive idea really. Instead of tolerating the possible danger of instant death or suffocation caused by a teleportation spell, you could just build a safe space to teleport to.

Humans are truly more inventive than immortals give them credit for.

I think the proper tense is gave, Master.

Jaylin coughed lightly, Wow, how dark.

Meanwhile, Zaleis had been apologizing for making everyone walk so far. As he was almost ready to leave the station, Elric spoke up. Elric noticed he wasn’t included in Zaleis’ sympathy, and fittingly interjected, “Hey, what about me?!”

Sigh. Young Master, you dashed all the way to the Izelix Guild Office, I think you’ll be fine.”

“YEA-“

The ‘discussion’ was interrupted by a beep coming from the teleport station.

BEEP. YOU HAVE BEEN ASKED TO STEP OUT OF TELEPORT STATION.

THE MANUFACTURERS OF THIS STATION ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY CASUALTIES CAUSED BY YOUR NEGLIGENCE. BEEP.

 

“...”

 


                                                                           

They were walking through the street to the Suspension Railway silently.

Zaleis felt it was awkward and began a conversation with Jaylin.
“Apologies if this is inappropriate, but is there a reason you didn’t list your last name?

“I don’t have one.”

...

“...oh.”
Zaleis felt he only made it more awkward and tried to continue.

Zaleis looked at Jaylin, who certainly seemed young enough to still be in the care of his parents.

“A-and why haven’t your parents given you one?”

Jaylin, who’s body spawned in the center of the heavens like all other immortals, was silent for a moment.

“I don’t have parents.”

“...”

“Oh...I-I’m sorry.”

“It’s nothing.”

“...”

“Haha! Newbie, you’re pretty funny!”

“Oh.”

“Young Master, don’t be rude!” Zaleis chastised him in a whisper Jaylin could clearly hear.

The teenage girl cleared her throat loudly.

AHEM. I don’t believe I’ve introduced myself yet. I’m Sanatis.

“Sanitation?”

Sanatis grit her teeth. “No. Sir, Eric. My name. Is not. Sanitation.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I’m-

Zaleis interrupted and spoke to Sanatis coldly
“It doesn’t matter. But I think you should take off your disguise at this point. We can all tell your underage.”

Sanatis flinched with a gasp.
“H-how did you know?!”

Everyone was silent until a voice sounded.

“Pfft, you’re short as hell-Hahaha-

The voice cut out abruptly.

Sanatis whipped her head toward Jaylin. “Who said that?!”

Jaylin shrugged and looked to the side while Zaleis responded, dumbfounded, “I-...I don’t know...”

Exilis.

What? I was simply answering her question-

As a sword who’s bounty probably reaches the high heavens, I think you should improve your concealments skills.

...

Elric got tired of everyone looking around suspiciously and ignoring him

“Just take the damn hood off!”
In a swift motion he grasped her hood and pulled it down.

Before he took it down, Sanatis held it to her head desperately.
“NO!”

“Hmph”
Elric scoffed

“Got more secrets to hide eh?”

Zaleis intervened coldly, It doesn’t matter, we’re here.

Jaylin looked up to the Suspension Railway. It was a sleek rectangular cuboid train hanging from a jet black rail. The rail wasn’t attached to anything, but was instead supported by both flight technology, and a stability seal. The rail traveled all around the city, and even circled the High Magicians Tower at one point.

Zaleis took the lead with Elric close behind him. Sanatis was a little ways away, clearly trying to distance herself.

They all rode up a conveyor then walked over to a counter, where a old man sat.

The old man saw Zaleis and greeted him familiarly, “Ah, If it isn’t the venerable Mr. Zaleis ?”

Zaleis chuckled.

“Going out adventurin’ with Sir Elric again, I’d guess.”

The old man looked back and saw Jaylin and Sanatis.
“And looks like you’ve got a few more party members this time eh?”

Elric’s impatience descended upon the earth once again and he spoke, “Hurry up, we’ve got a quest to complete! Four tickets out of the city!”

“Heh heh, of course, young man.”

The old man took out four tickets and handed them to Zaleis . As Zaleis grabbed the tickets, he placed five ring shaped coins on the table.

“Heh, Mr. Zaleis you’re the only person who doesn’t use your I.D card to pay these days.”

“Indeed.”

“Well I’d hurry up, the train will be leaving soon.”

Elric looked shocked
“What?! Hurry! I’m not waiting for the next one!”

Zaleis followed after him, and a Sanatis was speed-walking to catch up with them.

Jaylin was left standing with the ticket Zaleis handed him before leaving.
He sighed, suddenly feeling that going alone would have been a better idea.

He slipped the ticket into his robe and walked in the direction they had gone.

The old man saw him going and chuckled, “Be careful young man, those two are quite troublesome!”

                                                                        


Jaylin stepped out of the Suspension Railway while Elric and Sanatis argued behind him.  Jaylin had already used a spell to mute them after they had been going at it for ten minutes.

Zaleis looked like he had enough and finally intervened, “Enough you all! We’re here!”

Hearing the admonishment, Jaylin removed the muting spell, and they all strolled to the Hollowed Forest entrance.

It wasn’t anything much. Just an eerie gate with a warning sign on it.

Jaylin only glanced at it shortly. He saw something about danger warnings and magic beasts.

...

Well, It’ll probably be fine.

“So, what’s the mission?”
Elric said excitedly

Zaleis came to a realization after hearing him, “Ah, we never did see what it was, did we?”

Zaleis pulled out the Quest Tome and looked at the quest overlay.

Contrary to his high expectations, the quest overlay was filled with nothing except two sentences.

[There is a Sickleberry Vine infestation. Get rid of it.]

Zaleis , Elric, and Sanatis stared at it, astounded.

Jaylin was once again entirely left out of the situation.

Elric stabbed his unsheathed long sword into the ground and shouted angrily
“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WE CAME ALL THIS WAY FOR A STUPID CLEANING QUEST?!”

Elric looked towards Jaylin with eyes full of blame, “Fuckin’ newbie! You fooled us on purpose didn’t you?!

Jaylin shrugged slightly, no doubt confused how the blame ended up getting passed to him.
“You grabbed it before I looked at it.”

Zaleis, most likely still guilty about the ‘parent incident’ held Elric back and said, “Young master, he’s right, we’re at fault here.”

“But!-”

“No matter. We’re already here. Besides, it’s likely you’ll find magic beasts to fight in there anyway.”

Elric calmed down after hearing his last words and gave one last “Tch!” before he turned to the gates.

Sanatis, who became dispirited again after seeing the mission, also lightened up after hearing what Zaleis’ said.

Zaleis looked towards Jaylin, seeking his reaction.

Jaylin saw him staring and spared him a nod of thanks, before following Sanatis and Elric into the forest.

Zaleis paused awkwardly after Jaylin almost entirely ignored him.
...what a soft spoken kid...

 

 

3