Chapter 10
265 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

June 1, 2010

This may not be my lucky day, the intruder seems a bit too normal, no super strength or other powers, only good training, he needed a couple of minutes, but he was able to punch his way till the middle of the crater, knocking down several agents, everything to reach the hammer, to be given the chance to lift it.

But unfortunately, it's all vain, the hammer remains unmoved, even after several tries, leaving him screaming in the night, expressing all his rage and sorrow.

After failing to lift the weapon he seems hollow, as if he expected to be able to, there is something wrong here, something is eluding me...

I can't understand who he is, he seems normal, but at the same time something is telling me he is not, there is a layer of magic around him, an enchantment, maybe something to prevent him from using my powers. Interesting, maybe this is indeed my lucky day.

He doesn't seem interested in talking, or at least in talking to Coulson, not that he will say anything if I am right in my hypothesis.

And the likelihood of my idea been right is increasing, if the dark-haired man covered by an illusion that entered the cell after Phil left to answer the phone is a proof; that or I found a group of sorcerers, and even in that case I'll count it as a win. Luckily I am immune to anything that will distort the truth and can assist their conversation.

Now I'd like to hear what they are saying, but I can't enter the room, I have to think about something, and fast too.

What if I turn my hearing organs in those of a bat, I should be able to listen to their talk?

It does pay to keep the glamour on myself active at all times, no-one will see the shapeshifting act, and it keeps my human façade, after all, people with antlers and green skin don't go unnoticed in these days.

Well, let's return to the spying act now, from their talk it seems that the two of them are brothers, Loki, the actual king of Asgard, and Thor, the one that should have been the king, if not for some truce with Jotunheim. I was right, Asgardians

And then the lying act starts, Loki says that Odin the all-father is dead and that their mother blames Thor, the only truth he says in the conversation is that Thor is not worthy to lift the hammer.

Maybe it's the sadistic bastard inside me but is kind of fun to see how Loki is manipulating Thor with his lies, betraying his trust.

Coulson's return cuts the discussion short, ending the brothers' chat, and starting again the useless interrogation.

Loki trying and failing to lift Mjolnir confirms my idea that only someone that satisfies the enchantment requirement will be able to use it, and this is somewhat tied to Thor sealed powers.

After Coulson leaves the cell, having obtained nothing with his examination, I decide to give him a hand, so I stop him and ask,

"Phil, can I speak with the prisoner?"

"Why?" He replies confused by my request,

"I have a theory, the agents have discovered that he escaped from a hospital this morning, and he identified himself to be the Norse god of thunder," I speak about the prisoner known facts.

"So he is a madman?" Coulson interrupts me,

"Maybe someone suffering from a delusion, but it's undeniable that he is connected with that hammer in some way. He came here searching for that weapon, something covered by Norse rune, calling himself Thor, and he arrived in this area before the S.H.I.E.L.D. was even notified" I keep pointing at this situation strangeness to him.

"That's unsettling" Phil seems disturbed while he answers.

"I know enough of Norse mythology to indulge his delusions, maybe I could try to talk to him, hoping that he opens up" I make my proposal, trying to persuade Coulson to let me speak with Thor.

"That could theoretically work... Ok, go talk with him, and discover something" after thinking about my proposition for a couple of seconds he finally gives me the order I wanted.

--------------------------------------------------

"Hi, you are Thor right?" I ask as I enter the room,

he doesn't seem to be interested to talk, let's press him until he starts singing...

"And that hammer that you tried to lift?" I continue, while he keeps his lips sealed.

"Nothing? I wanted to know about Mjolnir" as I use the hammer's name I finally obtain something, now that's a crack.

"So I was right and that is Mjolnir, you don't seem a god, so who are you?" I keep asking, trying to destabilize him, and let the cracks spread.

"You were sent here to die alone, banished, abandoned, betrayed..." I keep pressing him, till he finally shouts "I was not betrayed!"

"You finally opened up" I reply with a grin

"You know nothing Midgardian, my father banished me because I was stupid and impulsive, I was the one that betrayed his expectation, and now he is dead, it's all my fault" he keeps screaming as if his tone will change anything.

"Calm down big guy, I am not mocking your loss, I want to help you" I try to calm him,

"How? I am powerless here, and I am unworthy of my hammer" he asks, his will crumbling for the weight of his actions.

"Start a new life, discover humanity, and try to become a better man, you are still alive, you could always change" I answer. 

"And this should help me?" he keeps asking,

"Yes, your father banished you for your behavior, if you change it, you may become the man he wanted you to be" I reply, trying to giving him a bit of hope.

"But he is dead, I will never gain his approval again," he says with no light in his eyes.

"True, but the burden on your heart is big, and fulfilling his last wish this will help you reduce it... Think about it... I am leaving you alone now" I end the discussion, leaving him alone in the interrogation room.

--------------------------------------------------

 

"Agent Coulson, he didn't say anything useful, he is a delusional and burdened man, and I believe that will never say anything to us directly. It's my opinion that we should let him leave, following him to find how he discovered the hammer, and anyone tied to him" I expose my reflection to the head of this operation.

"I have the same idea, and it seems that someone has already come to ask about him," he says.

"That's convenient, who he is?" I reply, exactly what we need, an excuse to let him leave.

"A scientist, he even said that he will take responsibility for him. Have you found anything on the symbols?" Coulson answers my question, before asking another one.

"Nothing yet, I'll work on it" I reply.

"Ok, keep me informed" he ends the discussion.

Now I only have to decrypt an alien language that I know nothing about, why I have chosen to spy the S.H.I.E.L.D in this convoluted way?

-----------------Several hours later---------------

All of a sudden an alarm start ringing, a strange spike of energy has surged a couple of kilometers from us. 

Coulson is preparing a squad to go there and explore, and I decide to go with them, in this way if everything goes down I will be able to patch the situation and save them, as the last line of defense to prevent a catastrophe. 

When we arrive at the place, another surge of energy is condensing, giving us the chance of seeing a giant spiraling clod in the middle of a clear sky.

As the cloud descends, sand and mist blind us, and suddenly a giant armor appears in the middle of the desert.

It reeks of power, as a dangerous weapon will, and now I start thinking that Loki may desire Thor's death more than I expected.

I should probably protect the agents, they are innocents, but to destroy it I'll need to use my powers, and this will blow my cover... What shall I do?

I don't know if using magic will trigger that thing, but better play it safe, If It was sent here for the Asgardian prince, It will probably attack anyone that tries to stop him from killing Thor, so if we stay away it should be safe, and my cover will hold.

Unfortunately, that thing is a bit more aggressive than I hoped, starting to open fire of the cars in a matter of seconds.

Luckily, when that metal giant starts shooting a heat ray, the agents are ready enough to escape, and escape they do, as they notice how useless their bullets are against that machine.

It took me a while to be distant enough from that thing and everyone else to have the chance to became invisible without being noticed, and after I do so, I start tracking that robot.

Reaching the city of Puente Antiguo, I find the sealed god walking alone in front of the giant armor, ready to sacrifice himself for his friends.

The moment that he sacrifices himself to stop the machine, he became worthy, reclaiming the ownership of Mjolnir.

As the hammer enters his hand a thunderbolt strikes, a complete armor appearing on him when his birthrights are restored and his powers unsealed.

After regaining his powers the fight against the robot ends soon enough, with Thor triumphing easily, destroying the lump of metal in a couple of hits.

After the fight ends, I see Coulson arrive at the place, starting to ask questions to the god, realizing that what he talked about may not have been delusions.

A couple of seconds later the prince decides to start flying with a girl in his arms, directed to the area where the armor descended, followed by his friends and ready to recall the Bifrost to return to Asgard, where they could end this story and bring Loki to justice.

Luckily Thor needs to say goodbye to his girlfriend with a speech and a long kiss, giving me all the time that I need to reach them, ready to follow them to their home.

As the Bifrost light starts covering us, I notice that my illusion start breaking, and I could do nothing other than activating my armor as we travel to Asgard, where my unaware company will most likely notice me. Why things can never be easy?

4