I Miss My Bed
404 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I wake up, the first thing I notice was that I am decidedly not in my warm, amazingly comfortable bed, but am instead in what looks to be a swamp. The second thing I notice is that I am now about ten times smaller than when I was last awake, and have no limbs.

...

Okay, maybe that should have been the first thing I noticed, but in my defense, my bed is really very nice.

My initial freakout(What? How? Why???) lasted for probably less that a minute before I realized that freaking out is probably only going to make things worse. Okay, admittedly, that only made me panic harder, but I did at least start rifling through my mind for some kind of anxiety-managing technique that would be useful in this situation. Calming breaths? Did I even have lungs right now? Where were my limbs? Okay, not that. Let's go with mindfulness. Awareness of the present moment.

Okay.

Lessee... Closing my eyes... Nope. Can't do that apparently. Great! Great. Just... Concentrate on something. The rain. It's raining. Listen to the sounds of the rain... Let everything else fade into the background... Notice the thoughts you're having and choose to let them go. Everything will be fine. Probably. Eventually.

Okay. Feeling a little better now, although I'd very much like to go home at your earliest convenience, oh merciless deity that has presumably gotten me into this mess.

...Nothing? Fine.

There's some water nearby, since it's a swamp and all, and I want to see my reflection, so I guess I'll try and go over there. How do I move? Do I just roll?

Oh.

I float, apparently. That's... Something.

In the reflection of the water's surface, I can see a small ball of glowing mist hovering above the ground. Is that... Me?

Well, crap.


Here are the things I've established so far;

  • I'm a will o' wisp, or something like that. I float, I glow, and creatures that see me try to follow me.
  • Related to that last point, we are definitely not in Kansas anymore. The 'creature' that I met was in fact a snake with a body as thick as my forearm was long, back when I had forearms, I mean, and it breathed fire! Why!
  • I have 360 degree vision. Yeah. I don't know why I didn't notice it earlier, but I guess it just seemed normal enough that I didn't even question it.

I'm still not a fan of this situation at all, but once the initial shock wore off, I guess I kind of got used to it.

Just as I have that last thought, the patch of water under where I'm floating explodes violently upward, and I catch a glimpse of what looks like a frog with bat wings(once again, why???), mouth gaping open, before everything goes abruptly dark.

Oh, come on! Anticlimactic, much?

Ding!

|Wisp 'Unnamed' has successfully possessed Batfrog!|

Light returns, and I am abruptly underwater. Also, I have limbs again, apparently.

...I'd like to retract my previous statement about 'getting used to it,' please!

|Experience gained! Skill level Up! Would you like to view your Statistics page?|

... What?

Okay.

Right.

This is fine.

I'm fine.

I mean, what was I expecting, something less insane?

...Well, in any case, I definitely do want to see that 'Statistics' thing. How do I...

Yes?

|'Unnamed'

Wisp (1/10 to evolution)

Physical Status
Fine

Mental Status
Unafflicted

Skills
Soul Replacement 2(UP 1), Luring Light, Awareness 10, System Assistance

Titles
Trickster, Intact Soul|

Oh! Cool. I've already got some questions, though. For one thing, 'one out of ten' what?

|Answer: 1/10 Skill level ups until evolution. Please preface questions with 'System' in order to access skill 'System Assistance' in the future.|

...Well, that's question two answered.

System, can you define all of my skills and titles for me?

|Soul Replacement- When swallowed, the user automatically absorbs the attacker's soul and possesses their body for a period dependent on skill level.

Luring Light- Creatures that see the user will be driven to chase and consume them.

Awareness- Gives the user a sense of their surroundings. At this level, acts as unobstructed 360 degree vision.

System Assistance- As a sentient creature not native to this world, the user has been given access to a limited section of the Higher Plane's data repository as compensation for their lack of natural instincts.

Trickster- You are a naturally mischievous creature. Increase in skill when planning traps and other forms of deception.

Intact Soul- Most spiritual lifeforms are pieces of broken souls, needing to consume those of others to repair themselves. You are not one of them. Consciousness and memory are intact from formation, consumed souls regenerate injuries.|

System, what's the higher plane?

|ERROR
Information requested is for restricted personnel only.|

...Hm. I wonder...

No use dwelling on it, though. I've got better stuff to do. Namely, figuring out how I'm going to survive this whole experience.

First things first, though...

How do frogs swim?

Well, here's to my first story on Scribblehub! (Please don't mind the crappy cover art, I made it myself with the equally crappy digital painting app that came pre-installed on my computer.) I don't really have an update schedule, but I'm enjoying writing this enough that it probably won't be very long until I'm done with the next chapter(this one took a little over an hour).

15