Rose #6
1k 4 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Duke Florentine really isn’t coming for your graduation?”

Bethany and Camilla were currently hiding behind some bushes under an old tree, enjoying the leisurely pace of the last day of school. They only hung out in places students didn’t frequent. If they happened to see each other in the hall, they had to pretend like they didn’t exist in each other’s eyes.

Camilla gave a sly grin, “That adopted brother of mine is scheduled to get deathly ill, preventing the Duke from attending.”

“...what do you mean scheduled?”

“I don’t want the Duke here.” She sniffed disdainfully, “So I asked my little bro to pretend to be ill to keep him from leaving home.”

“You’re not engaged to Albert anymore, why are you still holding a grudge?”

Camilla cackled, “Because that guy tried to sell me off to the royal family for his own gain! And never once did he attempt to correct his mistake! He even yelled at me after the engagement was annulled for humiliating him in front of the King. You think I’d want anything to do with him after that?”

“But he’s your dad, Cammy, your only one…”

“Is he though?”

“What?”

“Nevermind.” Camilla shrugged. “I don’t really care if he comes or not.”

Bethany stared at her sadly, her big doe eyes doing quite a bit of damage to Camilla’s heart.

“Really, I don’t care.”

“...if you say so…”

Bethany had known Camilla for 3 years and understood her fairly well at this point, except for in this one area. When it came to the Duke Florentine, Camilla was cold as ice. If Bethany hadn’t seen Duke Florentine once in person, she’d have thought they might not be related with the way Camilla talked about her father. But seeing the Duke and Camilla together, it was obvious they were related by blood.

Though Camilla said that her father had done something unforgivable, Bethany felt that was only an excuse. It seemed like Camilla didn’t want to view the Duke as her father and was actively fighting against the notion, using what he’d done with Albert as a shield to stop it from happening.

Bethany had talked to Albert about this strange behavior, but he also didn’t know what to do. There were times Camilla acted very out of step with everyone else. Trying to change this aspect of her was like trying to store the ocean in a cup, it was impossible.

“Are you really going to the Republic after this?”

“Yep, Daren talked with his dad, who’s got connections over there. I’ve been squirreling money away for years now, so I should have enough to buy a house and then I can work for a living for anything else. In the Republic I’m considered an adult with full autonomy. The Duke can’t order me back nor can he send people to forcefully take me back, as that would count as kidnapping. I’ll be free to live life exactly as I want… finally.

Bethany nodded, but couldn’t help feeling glum about her friend leaving the country. Even if they could never be friends in public, in private Camilla had always been fun to be around. Her unique view the world gave life a distinct zest that was absent from everyone else.

Camilla saw Bethany looking down, like a dejected puppy and felt her heart take a few more hits. It’s no wonder Albert liked her so much. With this kind of adorable aura and lovable behavior, it made everyone around her want to treat her well.

She reached out and awkwardly gave her frie-nemie’s back a pat. “Anyway, congratulations on convincing the King to approve your engagement with Albert.”

“Oh…” Bethany was momentarily distracted and managed a small smile, “I don’t know why you and Albert were so sure he’d be difficult to convince. He was kind to me from the beginning.”

“That’s because of your halo...”

“My what?”

“I mean, it’s only because it was you. If it had been just Albert...” Camilla gave a wry chuckle, “Do you realize when the King called you to the castle, it was originally to chuck his royal scepter at your head?”

Bethany’s eyes widened in surprise, “What? No way! He’s such a cutie—”

Camilla rolled her eyes, “You’re the only one who would describe him that way. I’m pretty sure even the Queen wouldn’t call him a “cutie”.”

“Aw, don’t say that! The Queen really loves the King!”

“I’m not saying they don’t love each other, but just imagining anyone but you calling that guy a “cutie”...” Camilla shuddered slightly and then paused. “Wait, have you ever told Albert you think of his Dad that way?!”

Bethany shook her head, “No, I thought Albert might think I was calling him cute, since I always say him and his Dad are so much alike. He really hates being called cute, I wonder why?”

“It’s a guy thing. They all want to be handsome in the eyes for their girl.”

“Ooooooh.”

Camilla cleared her throat, “Well, any time you think the King is cute, keep that to yourself. Definitely don’t tell Albert.”

“Would it really be that offensive?”

“Rather than offensive…” Camilla thought of the King, with his imposing aura and eyes that felt like they could kill you with a glance. “...I think Albert might suffer a mental shock he’ll never be able to recover from if you say his father is cute.”

Bethany's forehead wrinkled in confusion. “Really? Really… huh… I don’t understand why but… if Cammy says so….”

Camilla really felt that Bethany’s softness was both a blessing and a curse. Her ability to see the good in people, to think the best of their intentions, often caused those same people to unintentionally live up to her view of them. But the downside was that she sometimes didn’t understand the real character of a person and would give them labels that others would consider downright weird, disrespectful, or even degrading.

It was a good thing Albert had inherited his father’s sharp intuition and had a solid, realistic view of the world around him. He could even be brutal when the circumstances called for it. His "feet firmly on the ground" mentality complimented Bethany's gentle view of people. Together, they could be both just and merciful.

“Anyway,” Camilla decided to change the topic, “once you guys have a solid date for the wedding, send me an invitation immediately, otherwise I may not be able to request time off from my new job—”

Upon hearing her mention the wedding, Bethany’s expression dropped.

“Gah, what’s with that face? I thought you WANTED to get married?!”

“I do but— but—” Her eyes watered slightly, “It means you’ll be gone!”

Camilla gave a light laugh, trying to downplay her departure, “Don’t worry, I promise I’ll write to you once I’m properly settled. We’ll be the best of penpals—”

“No, write to me the moment you arrive!” Bethany’s lower lip quivered, “And write Albert too! We’ll both be worried sick if you don’t!”

“Okay, okay, I promise I’ll write to you both the moment I arrive.”

“Write along the way too!”

“Along the way? How many letters do you want from me exactly…”

Bethany couldn’t hold in her sadness over saying goodbye anymore and, embracing Camilla tightly, started sobbing.

“All of them, silly! I want all your letters! If you don’t contact me, I’ll have Albert send an army after you!”

Camilla blinked, her eyes tearing up despite herself.

“Do you want to start a war over a letter?”

“What letter? It’ll be because you’re beautiful and they kidnapped you. They say beautiful women cause wars all the time!”

This was too much for Camilla and she burst out laughing.

***

“Daren Wallsby? What are you doing here?” Camilla opened the door to her modestly sized house, puzzled at the unexpected guest.

Daren was a year Camilla’s junior. He’d always had a baby face and was short, looking distinctly more cute than handsome. Of course his brain was anything but cute, filled with endless ways he wanted to strike it rich. When she’d graduated, he’d still been a shortie.

Who knew in his last year of highschool he’d hit a growth spurt? Who gets a growth spurt at 17?! Everyone said it was a miracle, including Camilla! Talk about a late bloomer!

Of course his growth spurt didn’t mean he’d grown as tall as, say, Edgar Bellz—the heir to a duchy and the tallest boy in school when she was attending. What it meant was that he was now taller than Camilla by a solid inch, and Camilla was tall for a girl. All this to say Daren was still on the short side for a man, but could now at least claim that he “looked down on the tallest girl (Camilla) he knew”.

For the perennial shortie, that was enough to make him happy.

“Long time no see, Camilla!” He walked into her house without being invited, like he owned the place. “It’s almost two years, right? This house looks pretty nice, Albert and Bethany will be relieved when I send word back.”

“Er, did they send you to check up on me or something?”

“What?” He looked at her in surprise. “No, no, but they asked me to thoroughly check out your living situation while I’m here.”

“And why are you here exactly?” She asked again, watching him directly enter her living room and snoop without any shame.

He sat down on her sofa, once again without getting permission, and raised his chin arrogantly, “I’m personally taking charge of the entire branch of WallGoods in the Republic!”

“Really? I thought your father was only letting you take over a single store…”

Daren tapped the side of his nose, “He did that already.”

“And… he decided you were good enough to run a whole branch?”

“That’s~ right~”

Camilla put her hand on her forehead, “Wow, that’s… you’re really amazing.”

“Heh.” He grinned triumphantly.

“But why,” She lowered her hand and raised an eyebrow, “Did you decide to just show up at my house?”

“Ah that…” He coughed and tried to look pitiful, “I don’t have a place to stay.”

“...what?”

“I decided to come a week early to give everyone a surprise inspection, but who knew there’s some big holiday during this time? Inns and hotels are packed!”

“That’s because it’s the Republic’s Independence Day. The biggest holiday of the year…”

“Ah… that explains all the firecrackers…”

“How could you take over WallGoods in the Republic and not even know their major holidays?!”

“Heh, oops!”

Camilla snorted, “Just so you know, that cute look doesn’t work anymore. You’re too much like a man now.”

Daren’s face froze for a moment. His eyebrows rose slightly and then suddenly lowered, “Hey, are you saying I’m NOT a full man?!”

She rubbed her chin, a skeptical look on her face.

He opened his mouth as if he was going to argue and then seemed to think better of it.

“Never mind, never mind.” He took a deep breath, lips pursed. “I won’t argue with a person I’m trying to ask a favor from.”

“Favor?”

“I told you, I have no place to stay…”

“...you can’t possibly be thinking of staying here???”

He gave her a pleading look.

“Doesn't WallGoods have employees!? Go bother them for a room!”

“I already asked! They all have family over too! The entire city is packed!” He gave her sad eyes, “You’re the only person I know who would likely have a room available.”

“Ugh, you…” She rubbed her temple, not realizing she was the spitting image of her father in that moment. “Fine! You can stay!”

“Thank you Camilla~”

“Don’t thank me yet! I only have one bed and don’t think I’m giving that up to a squatter!”

“Hey, at least consider me your good ol’ highschool pal!”

She rolled her eyes, “Just be glad I’ve got a sofa and some spare sheets you can use…. I’ll get those right now, so I don’t have to do it later.”

Camilla turned around and went to the hall with the linen closet, leaving Daren behind. He crossed his legs, one foot bouncing slightly. He looked immensely pleased with himself.

29