2 – Reckless Sleeper
816 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of the dripping water warned me of what was to come. Resting my hands on the cold metal of the sink was uncomfortable, but exactly what I needed. Nothing better to wake up than a temperature shock. I opened the faucet and allowed the cold stream to run through my fingers while the faint scent of metals brushed my nostrils. In a rapid and decisive motion I splashed a handful of water in my face. It was cold, painfully so. I let the water run down my face, neck and chest. I violently shivered as the droplets streaked across my warm skin.

I looked up into the rust stained mirror. I saw a maturing face, no more signs of the juvenile I once was, but not quite adult yet. I had my hair cut short, almost military. My sleepy eyes moved slightly as I checked for spots on my face. Dark as a night, I had heard all manner of opinions on them, but for me they were merely eyes. My eyes. Nothing special. Facial hair dotted sparsely around my chin and cheeks. It was time to shave, again. Just one more unavoidable ritual I learned to put up with in order to fit some of society’s pointless standards.

I took two steps back from the mirror and allowed my body to enter the frame. Although I wasn't exercising as much as I once had, I still looked the part. I wasn't always like this. I had been the skinny kid for a long time. It always helped my self-confidence to admire how much I had improved since my teen years. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same for my professional career. With a sigh, I dropped my briefs and jumped in the shower.

Random thoughts distracted me during my routine task and it didn't take long for me to be out of the bathroom. My apartment was small, spartan really. Kitchen and bedroom separated by a half wall. It was enough for me, but just barely.

The street sounds were almost nonstop in the city center. Loud engines, badly oiled brakes and the honking of indifferent drivers all assaulted my ears. Irritated, I closed the window and turned on the TV. Maybe the morning news would be less infernal than the streets. Usually it wasn't, but one can always hope.

"...The case of mysterious kidnappings continues to elude authorities. The G20 meeting that happened yesterday proposed to install a special task force with the best of all countries to investigate these baffling disappearances around the world…"

‘This thing is so absurd that even conspiracy theorists are starting to sound believable.’

Beep-Beep

Beep-Beep

‘Shit, I'm gonna be late for my interview.’

My expertly prepared phone alarm brings me back from distraction. One can never be sure of the traffic in this damn city, so I’ve always tried to leave with plenty of time to spare. Wet towel thrown on the bed, I started dressing myself as fast as I could. Breakfast would have to wait until I could buy something at the metro station.

After one last look in the mirror, I fixed my tie and adjusted my suit. Although it wasn’t an overly expensive one, it was still a prized gift from my parents from my graduation as a civil engineer. It had more sentimental value than monetary. I used to believe it would bring me luck, now it was more like a routine. Getting a job hasn't been easy with the economy tanking and Brexit.

I grabbed my briefcase and moved to get out. The voice of the news anchor on the TV caught my attention, again.

"... According to the lead investigator in the investigation of the disappearances in the country, it's likely that a new wave of kidnapping will be happening today. He says, 'The kidnappings have been cyclic, happening every three months. Today closes another cycle.' His advice is to avoid being alone and…"

‘What about people who live alone? Should I invite some homeless guy to spend the night? Bloody twat.’

I turned off the TV and locked the door of my cramped unit behind me. I made my way out of my building and the infernal noises I had been dreading started to assault my ears again. The exhaust of cars and old buses coupled with the humid air instantly made my skin feel sticky. I endured.

Moving together with the ever growing crowd of people I weaved through the press of bodies toward the metro station. What should have been a five minute walk is significantly longer due to the slowness of some commuters. One thing I learned living here is to keep one eye ahead and another on the ground. You can never know when you might need to dodge some weird shit. Literally.

Arriving at the metro station I saw that it wasn’t jam packed yet, but soon to be. A small victory. I hurried my steps in the direction of the small store in the corner. They have a delicious turkey sandwich, and that will be my breakfast today. With only one other person in the line, it didn’t take long before I was standing in the waiting area of the metro, happily eating my sandwich and listening to music on my earphones.

The metro arrived and I boarded together with the crowd. I managed to find an empty spot in a non-preferential seat. Another small victory. I was having a great feeling about today.

I was already done with my turkey sandwich by the time the metro departed. I embraced my briefcase and rested my head on the walls of the moving cart. I absentmindedly observed the concrete landscape move at high speed. As if lulled by the shaking of the cart, I eventually fell asleep.


"...You go, I don't care."

"What do you mean you don't care? We don't know what is happening, we can't leave him like that."

"And what do you want to do? We don't know who he is. We don't know anything!"

What are they talking about? And why do they sound so weird? Immigrants? Wait, did I fall asleep? 

Fuck!

I jump from my seat and look around.

Did I miss my station? Fuck, fuck, fuck!

Taking in my surroundings I see an Asian looking couple startled by my sudden movement. They seem to be in their fifties. The man reminds me of a businessman. Properly combed hair, social clothing and an air of dominance that is almost arrogant. The woman seems to be his wife by how she is grabbing his arm. She has long black hair and a lot fewer wrinkles in her face than the man beside her. She seems like someone who would have quite an amicable demeanor, if not for how wide eyed she is staring at me.

"Oi, what do you think you are doing? Are you playing pranks on me and my wife? That is not funny, young man! Do you not have manners?"

The husband recovered first and came straight at me with his finger and complaints. A little taken aback by the whole thing I moved my eyes off of him to observe my surroundings. I was in a large room. It seemed to be an auditorium of some sort. A lonely lectern sat in the middle of the stage. Around me were loose chairs. The kind you would find in a cheap classroom.

Then I saw them. People. Dozens of people. Some loitered around while most chose to stay in place, sat down. The majority were alone, but a few groups of three or four could be seen here and there. The mood was dark, everyone looking either confused, angry or dejected. A pull on my sleeve brought me back from my short lived torpor.

"Are you ignoring me, young man? Is this how you repay our kindness?" The short businessman tugged on the sleeve of my suit, furiously demanding attention.

"I'm sorry. I'm a bit confused. What is this? I was on a metro going to an interview. It's just… What is happening?" I asked, ignoring his tantrums.

"Ah! So after treating us so impolitely, you expect us to help you? Again? You youths…" The old man sounded almost righteous in his unplacated nagging.

The wife seemed to recover from her earlier shock and gently interrupted her husband. "Dear, be more understanding. The young man is clearly confused." Her appeal apparently worked, as the angry man took a step back while still muttering his complaints.

She smiled at me. It seemed genuine. I felt sympathy in her eyes. Sympathy from someone who had probably been in a situation like this more than once and could appreciate the plight on the receiving end of all that nagging.

"I apologize for my husband's behavior. We have been… on edge. I know you must be confused as to what is happening here and have lots of questions. I'm afraid so do we. We were in our shop when suddenly we fell asleep and woke up here. I don't know how long we have been here for, but more and more people have been arriving since. Usually people wake up in a few moments, but you were taking too long. So we came to wake you up. I am sorry if we disturbed you."

At the end she bent her head slightly in apology. I was instantly shocked by her action. I knew that this was a normal practice in eastern countries, but as a westerner I felt very uncomfortable with someone bowing their heads to me, even if slightly.

"Please, there is no need to apologize. I don't really understand the situation, but I'm sure whatever it is, it’s not your fault. Or your husband's." I frantically moved my hands without knowing what to do with them. To my relief, she raised her head and smiled at me again.

"You seem to be a good young man. I feel like we have been late in our introductions. I am Shimizo Aya and this is my husband Shimizo Kando." She pinched her husband discreetly. He seemed to have calmed himself now. He nodded slightly toward me. His face was still full of the domineering authority of a strict parent.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Leonardo Schmidt. I go by Leo." I was about to offer my hand for a handshake but realized that they probably have different customs. I decided to follow the lead of Mrs Aya, and bowed my head slightly. Hopefully it wasn’t awkward or out of touch.

"See, dear? He is not as impolite as you thought." Mrs Aya said with a giggle. "And he speaks Japanese surprisingly well for a foreigner."

Japanese?

Her husband was less enthusiastic to admit, but grunted in acknowledgment.

"Mrs Aya, what do you mean by Japanese? We have been chatting in English all this time." I smiled, visibly confused.

The couple exchanged a glance, but before any of us could say anything a screeching noise came from the stage. We all cringed and covered our ears. As if a thousand nails raked against a blackboard, it assaulted our hearing.

It didn't last long, but it seemed to. Every second of this was too long. Inevitably, we all turned to where the sound came from only to be greeted with a shocking otherworldly view. A… something stood behind the lectern. It was amorphous, like a liquid shadow. It constantly shifted and moved while standing in the same spot. The horrified gasps of Mrs Aya accompanied many others in the large auditorium.

As if time itself was suspended, I watched in horror as the upper part of the thing started to coalesce until two holes that seemed like eyes took shape. It was soon followed by a slit that opened beneath it, unnaturally long. It was akin to a grin. A terrifying smile that sent shivers down my spine and made me start sweating as my heart thumped like a sledgehammer inside my chest. The mouth moved and the voice that came out could only be described as an amalgamation of all the creatures to have ever appeared in a horror movie.

"WELCOME, HUMANS!"


This chapter has been reviewed and edited with the help of Densor.

Enjoy!

16