18 – Brothers in Arms
260 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hours that followed my conversation with Chen passed quite fast. We spent a good chunk of time moving furniture, then helped assemble the hastily raised barricades. When the sky clock marked ten hours remaining, Johann called it a day. Anymore than that we would be putting our performance tomorrow at risk. I agreed, although I didn’t feel as tired as I had felt before. I think the vitality points were working. I felt I still had plenty in the tank, when before I was working under a looming fatigue.

Everyone gathered on the ground floor where food and water were passed down. The rations were one can of food and a bottle of water each. We had been offered water a few times during our work time, also snack breaks every once in a while. Snacks were mainly protein bars, chocolate or oatmeal cookies. Not as filling as the canned food, but quite appetizing.

On one of the corners of the ground building, a pile of backpacks guarded by three dudes was probably our stockpile. It was hard to tell from here how much food they had, they seemed full, but could be jackets or something else.

I finished my meal and decided to look for Mrs Aya and check how she was. I found her on the upper floor, sitting down on a couch, probably the one assigned to her, and looking out at the night. The night felt cold and she didn’t have her coat anymore. Two impromptu brazier burned in this floor and the one below, providing something of a light source in the center. I had no idea how they had made it, but I think they somehow beat the metal locker into a different shape? Hard to tell.

I saw down beside Mrs Aya, “How are you doing, Mrs Aya?”

“I am fine, dear. Don’t you worry about me, ok?” She said without turning to face me. “Today will be another one of those, won’t it? I saw how everyone was working hard to prepare, while I was sitting here, doing nothing.”

“Mrs Aya, please don’t say that. We are just settling down, I am sure everyone will eventually find something they can help with. Someone like you is also very important.”

“What do you think an old lady like me can do, dear Leo? An old… widow.” Mrs Aya finally turned towards me, streaks of tears marring her face. “This place… It’s wrong.”

“I… I am sure we will pull through. I don’t know if help is coming, but we need to keep alive, no matter what. We all need each other at this moment, let me help you like you have helped me.” I wanted to say more, but it was extremely hard to put what I felt towards Mrs Aya in words. Even I wasn’t sure. All I knew was that I felt a very strong urge to protect her.

“I am happy to hear I have helped you. It warms this old heart of mine.” She turned back towards the window. “Maybe you are right. Even if my Kando isn’t here anymore, I can’t give up. Thank you for your words, dear Leo. But you should rest now, tomorrow morning they will come again.”

“Ok, I will go get some rest. Please, you should too. Don’t stay up until late.” I put a hesitating hand on her shoulder. She shuddered slightly and turned to look at my hand. I thought I had somehow offended her for a moment, but she placed her hand on mine and patted it a few times.

“I will, I will…” She whispered.

I moved away from the area as the other ladies got themselves ready to sleep. There weren’t many of them, only nine, not including Mrs Aya. A very disproportionate number to the men. I hoped this imbalance wouldn’t eventually become an issue.

I passed by Gabriela and Ciara on my way to the men’s side. Gabriela seemed extremely tired and Ciara was assisting her. They both looked at me as I passed, and Gabriela smiled. I smiled back, a little uncomfortable at how friendly she was.

‘Such a good personality.’

I soon found my place among the large number of pillows scattered on the floor. We had a few couches in here, but they were mostly for the elderly and injured. Even John and Johann were sleeping on the floor. Probably so no one would have the guts to complain. I laid my head on the pillow and it didn’t take more than a few breaths for me to fall in deep sleep.


I woke up startled. Heart racing and adrenaline pumping. I looked around and the sun was barely peeking on the horizon, slowly painting the sky orange. With deep breaths I calmed myself. I investigated my injured leg and it seemed to be much better than yesterday. How was that possible? I injured myself yesterday morning, it should be getting worse. The only thing I could think of was the extra points in VIT. Maybe this had to do with increased life force?

Distracted by my own thoughts, I only realized I had moved when I saw the rising sun on the horizon from the large glass panel window. It was beautiful. The empty city and the droplets of morning dew painted a scene worthy of a picture. I wished my phone still worked. I sighed.

I saw that John wasn’t in his spot from last night, probably already awake and Johann was just rising. We exchanged brief looks, but no words. I went to the ground floor, I was thirsty. John was speaking with three guys sitting around the pile of backpacks. He had a half full bottle of water on his hand. I approached and got a glimpse of their conversation.

“... quiet tonight. No problems beside some people with sleep issues coming down sometimes. But we told them to go back and rest.”

John nodded at the words and they finally acknowledged my presence. I stood close to John while they all looked at me.

“Morning, fellows. Could I have a bottle of water, please?”

“Sure thing.” The guy who was reporting to John earlier readily gave me one. I thanked him and gulped it down.

“Did you kill the big one from yesterday by yourself?” John asked while he unwrapped a protein bar and started munching on it.

“Yes, I did. But I am sure you could have done it as well, Mr John.” I had no reason to lie. So, I didn’t.

“Maybe. He looked quite strong compared to the other ones, but he was still very short.”

“He was extremely tough, but not that physically strong. I had him in a choke hold for a long time. I am not sure how long, but it was definitely over a minute.”

“You killed him with a choke hold?” John seemed very interested in our conversation. At the same time, he also offered me another protein bar he had in his pocket. I gladly accepted.

“No, he merely passed out. After over a minute of being strangled. It was bizarre. My arms gave up before he died of asphyxiation. I am actually not even sure if he could die of it. These creatures are so weird.”

“So you busted his head with that hammer of yours?” He pointed to the sledge hammer resting on the floor beside me.

“Yes, that is right.”

The four of them were quiet for some time, probably trying to imagine how the fight had gone for it to end with a choke hold and a busted head. After a few brief moments, John spoke.

“Give it to him, Will. It’s his.”

I was puzzled by John’s words, but before I could ask, the man who had given me the water, Will, started rummaging through the backpacks. It didn’t long before he pulled a sheathless knife.

‘My knife!’

After the fight with the goblin warrior I was so exhausted I forgot to retrieve it.

“Here you go, dude. Don’t leave it on the field next time.” Will said as he handed it to me. I accepted, even if a little embarrassed.

“We found it when we were scouring the aftermath of the fight. It was stuck on the right leg of the creature.” John said offhandedly.

“Right leg? That’s not right. I am sure I stabbed it in the shoulder.” John and Will exchanged a meaningful look and the latter smiled.

“You are the real deal, kid. I am glad it isn’t some bullshit from Johann.” Will said as he patted me on the shoulder.

“Did you just test me?” I was a bit shocked.

“Sorry, Leo. I had to do this. Things are getting a little weird in here. But don’t worry. We have more important things to focus on.” John put away the rest of his protein bar and motioned me to follow him. I took my time enjoying mine.

We walked out of the building and he started pointing at the defenses and how things were going to play out. A third of the combat force would man the barricade on the left side, while another third manned the right side. The other third would be positioned at the entrance of the building, the equidistant point between the two sides. They would act as the reserve and would also rotate when people got exhausted or injured.

John pointed at the center. An alleyway between the two buildings had three lines of barricades spaced within the relatively long corridor. It was around two meters wide, enough for two people comfortably and three tightly packed. He walked towards it in silence and I followed.

“This is where you will fight.”

“Alright, how many people will be in here with me?”

“You can choose one.”

“One? Alright, you then.” I said decisively. John laughed.

“I will be busy managing the left flank. Johann will be in charge of the right one. You can pick anyone else. I can also pick for you if you don’t think you can make a good choice.”

I took a moment to think, and someone quickly popped up in my mind.

“Noah. I want it to be him.”

“That guy? Are you sure? I can have Will come here, he has some real battlefield experience.”

“Noah will be fine. I prefer someone who I am familiar with. He also looks like someone who can handle himself.” John didn’t seem to agree with my evaluation with the man, but he didn’t retort any further.

“Alright, kid. If that’s who you want, I will let him know. Let’s go back now, Johann wants to address everyone before the battle and I need to wake up my unit.” John looked at the sky clock and I instinctively did so as well.

01:17:49


The speech had been very bland. He spoke about bravery and unity, tried to rally the people, but there wasn’t much substance to it. All the plans had already been laid out, I didn’t see the need for that, but I guess it did work for some people who seemed to get fired up at his words. I am sure he had a reason for doing such a thing. Noah found me after Johann’s address, he carried a metal bat on his hand. I checked the sky clock as he approached me.

00:11:17

“Seems like we have been assigned together again, mate.” Noah gave me a friendly pat on the back.

“They didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what, mate? They only told me I was going to be together with you somewhere in this mess.”

“Right, ok.” I wondered why they didn’t tell him. Should I? “Anyway, we are going to fight in that alleyway.” I pointed.

“Nice and tight, just the way I like it! Alright, where are the rest of the people?”

“That… There is no one else. It’s just the two of us.” I sighed.

“What the fuck? Are you serious? Those fucking dickheads just put us in here to die or what? I am going back in there and telling those dumbarses to go fuck themselves.”

“Wait! Just wait…” Noah looked at me bewildered. I took a deep breath. “Look, they said I was going to defend this spot and that I could choose one person. So, I chose you. I understand if you don't stick around, but I feel… I think we can do this.”

“I am listening.” Noah said with his arms crossed.

“Look, we have three levels of barricade, and my weapon has quite a good range. Last time I fought in a similar set up, but the barrier was much wider and I was alone.” I gestured at the hastily, but firmly raised barriers. “If I’d had someone to support me when their numbers started to grow as they crossed it, I would have managed to hold them off. With you here I believe we can do it. Plus, we have two other barriers as a fallback and the reserve forces can land us a hand if things get dicey.”

“Alright, mate. That does make sense, but I am not risking my life in this. If things get fucked I am getting the fuck out, you hear me?”

“I hear you. I also don’t have a death wish. If things get complicated, we will retreat and ask for reinforcements.” Noah seemed to relax now.

“Cool, mate.” He stopped and leaned against a wall. “I knew I was charming, but I didn’t expect you to fall for me so fast.” He smirked.

“Fuck you Noah.”


This chapter has been reviewed and edited with the help of Densor.

If you like the novel, please remember to rate and review! It helps a ton.
Enjoy!

14