22 – The Bonds in the Group
239 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The base was surprisingly empty. Someone stood watch at the eastern barricade. I think his name was Will, but there was no one else in the area. I approached the barricade, and he recognized me.

“Hey, where you been? Everyone is inside at another of Johann’s meetings.”

“I was exploring a bit, I wanted to get a better sense of the place.” I hadn’t really given much thought of an excuse. I didn’t want to say I was out training, that would probably sound weird, so I just said the first thing that came to mind.

Will didn’t seem to care either way. He grabbed a long plank and placed it on top of the barricade, it formed a steep slope. I walked on it and jumped to the other side. It was surprisingly easy with my new shoes, and I suspected dexterity also gave me a better sense of balance. I thanked Will and moved inside.

Johann was on top of a squat table and speaking to the group. John wasn’t in the center. I looked around and found Noah and Mrs Aya. Noah sat beside Gabriela and they seemed to be having a nice conversation, she giggled, discreetly. Mrs Aya sat among some of the other noncombatants, they were quietly listening to Johann. I made my way around the crowd and stood beside Mrs Aya. She didn’t seem to notice me.

Johann went on about how the things had been today and that we must be prepared for tomorrow. He was proud of what we had done and that tomorrow would be different. Despite my first good impression of the man, I was starting to get tired of his rhetoric. I am sure some people, maybe most people, appreciated the man. He encouraged them, tried to pass a sense of security and order. I knew that panic and despair wouldn’t be good, but some sense of urgency was necessary. 

I had agreed with his mentality before, but not anymore. Things weren’t looking up, they were looking dire. Increasingly so. These people needed to wake up and give 100%, more than 100%, if we were to survive. A part of me wanted to speak out, give these people a sense of urgency that Johann seemed to deny existed. But I wasn’t a good speaker, not as good as him anyway. I was also afraid of exposing myself to the group and being ridiculed. In a situation like this, I am not sure I would stick around if that happened and being alone wasn’t a good idea. Despite everything, the group was a great place for me. Especially if I wanted to grow stronger while managing my risk of death.

Johann finished his speech and invited people to attend the funeral of those who died earlier today. They had assembled the pyre two buildings away from the main base. A good chunk of the people went, Mrs Aya among them. She saw me when she stood up from her chair. A brief smile and a pat on my arm was all she gave me. But I understood the mood was solemn, so I just returned back the smile. I wanted to talk to her, but I guess that would have to wait. I had nothing specific to talk about, I just enjoyed our conversations.

Someone touched my shoulder and I turned to look. Noah stood beside Gabriela while he offered me a can of food and some water.

“Hey, mate. You lost the meal time, but I saved some for you.”

“Thanks, Noah. I already ate.”

“Oh, alright. More for myself then.”

“Noah! You know you can’t eat another one, we have a quota.” Gabriela gave him a light slap on the arm. He feigned pain.

“Wow, I am a recovering patient. I need to eat more.”

“Really? Did Ciara say that?”

“Maybe… Possibly.”

Noah said as he theatrically opened the can. Gabriela gave him a dirty look but otherwise said nothing else. He turned away and started eating.

“How is your leg, Leo? I haven’t seen you around all day.” Gabriela turned to me with a somewhat concerned look.

“It’s actually fine. I woke up and it’s much better, I can’t really feel much anymore.”

“Really? Must have been a small bruise then. Sorry for pestering you about it, it seemed more serious when we spoke. And Ciara said you never went to see her.”

“No need to apologize, you are not pestering me at all. I just didn’t want to waste her time with something so minor, she has more people to worry about.”

Gabriela seemed distant for a moment, she looked towards the stairs.

“They couldn’t find any more medical supplies today. We lost another one earlier, he is already with the others.”

“Did you know him?”

“Not really. It’s been a bit chaotic lately, I have been meeting so many people these last couple days it’s hard to really get to know everyone.”

“You did remember my name.” I blurted out. Gabriela turned to me and took a good look at my face before answering.

“Well, you did leave me with a strong impression.”

I didn’t know what to say, or what to think. 

‘Is she flirting with me?’

She seemed to catch on what I was thinking and after a few moments of awkward silence, she continued hastily. “With you being an engineer and all. It’s not everyday I meet a colleague, especially given the circumstances.”

“I see…”

Silence fell between us again, but I broke it this time.

“You and Noah seem close. Did you two know each other before coming here?”

“No. We met on the first day.” Noah was the one to answer that, with a mouthful. Gabriela shook her head at his lack of manners.

“Yeah, we met here. Noah is a funny guy and he makes the mood lighter. That is why I let him stick around me.”

“Thanks, gabs. You are really sweet for giving me the privilege.”

She laughed and gave him another light slap on the shoulder. I chuckled.

“Yeah, I agree with you.”

We eventually sat down in a corner and continued our casual conversation. A few people moved around, but no one came close or bothered us. I was really glad to have such a lighthearted moment after the day. I was feeling a bit sore after all that exercising. Noah had asked about my new weapon and I told him I decided to get something better. I offered him the sledgehammer but he seemed happy with his metal bat. Gabriela suggested I give it to Johann or John. They apparently had some sort of armory where people could pick their weapons.

I wasn’t planning on using the sledgehammer anymore, but I had grown somewhat attached to it in the last couple days. I wanted to give it to someone I knew, not just to the ‘pile’. I thought of Chen, maybe he would want it.

Eventually Johann and the people who attended the funeral came back and he called Gabriela. She left the both of us and I decided to ask about something that had been bothering me.

“Noah, what happened when I… got dizzy.”

“Shit, mate. What do you mean what happened? You were there, dumbarse.”

“I know, but I remember you said something about a person before I fell.”

“Oh, THAT. Well, someone dressed all in some black armor and with a weird helmet, the one police use, showed and suddenly a lot of those hell dogs went after them. It was so bizarre, but I think we woulda been seriously fucked if not for that.”

‘Was that a coincidence? I wasn’t inclined to think so.’

“Did you know who it was? I mean, do you suspect someone?”

“Suspect? I don’t know mate, I have never seen someone dressed like that. They were probably wearing the full riot gear from the shop points, but if it wasn’t you, or John, who else had a hundred points?” 

There was someone named Sarah who was third last time and then some dude named Takeshi.

“Do you know anyone named Takeshi or Sarah?”

“From the rankings? Nah, I don’t know anyone from our group with those names.”

“There must be some other strong people who are managing by themselves, or in another group.”

“So? Why do you care, mate? I mean, sure, they helped us. But it was probably just a coincidence.”

“I am not so sure if I believe in coincidences.”

He gave me a weird look, like I just said something completely absurd.

“Whatever, dude. Don’t fry your brain over such things, it is what it is. Anyway, I am gonna lie down, gotta give my leg some rest.”

“Wait.”

I stopped him before I thought this through. This wasn’t really what I wanted to talk about with him. He looked at me, waiting for me to explain.

“Just… You told me before the fight that you wouldn’t risk your life, but when I fell you stayed. Why did you?”

He didn’t answer me for a while. He sighed and closed his eyes briefly. He looked at the floor and said.

“I don’t wanna bullshit you mate. I could say it’s because there were not that many of them after they chased the other person, but that ain’t true. The truth is… I guess I’m not used to seeing death. I didn’t want to let you die and have to carry it on my shoulders. I guess I just didn’t want the weight of your death on my shoulders, is all.”

It made sense. It wasn’t easy to abandon someone to die, especially if you were someone with a moral compass.

“Thank you. I won’t forget it.”

“Look, don’t make this into a thing, alright? I just did it because of me, it’s nothing to do with you.”

I smiled as Noah looked extremely uncomfortable for the first time since I met the dude, a day ago. He gave me the finger and was about to leave, but I realized I was forgetting another important thing.

“Tomorrow, after the wave, I need your help with something.”

“Huh? Sure, but what is this about, mate?”

“It’s better if I show you.”

Noah stared at me for a while, the gears in his brain turning.

“Alright, mate. You are a cool dude, I will help you out. Whatever that is.”

“It’s a good thing, don’t worry.”

“Yeah, yeah. Right.”

Now that I was sure that training was helpful, I wanted to get the people close to me involved. I had to be strong, but deep down I knew I couldn’t do it all by myself. I needed allies… friends,  to fight side by side. Noah was already fighting beside me, it made no sense for me not to include him. He left and I decided it was my time to get moving as well.

I caught Mrs Aya going up the stairs among a few other noncombatants and I decided to follow. Arriving at the upper floor they dispersed and I approached her. She seemed sad, but smiled when I approached her. We sat down by the couch that was her bed and started talking. She told me how the funeral went and I spoke a little about my day. I showed her my new weapon and spoke a little about what I liked in it. She seemed interested, but I am sure she was doing it only to please me. 

The brazier burned and shadows danced on the walls. My conversation with Mrs Aya went later than I expected and I realized I was starting to bother the other people around us trying to sleep. We exchanged good nights and I left towards the men’s sleeping area.

There were a lot of couches, organized in long rows. Most of them were already taken, and I finally saw John. He was standing on a corner of the window. I thought of approaching him, but dismissed it. I didn’t really have anything to say, outside my curiosity about where he was. Johann wasn’t in the area, probably organizing something on the lower floors. I found a couch in a random spot and lay down to sleep. I didn’t feel exactly exhausted, but I welcomed the rest.


I opened my eyes and the place was eerily quiet. John had just moved past me, and was walking towards the lower floors. It was still dark, the brazier had stopped burning throughout the night. I got up and stretched. Looking out the window I could see some streaks of orange starting to show up, but the sun had not peeked on the horizon yet. I couldn’t see the Sky clock from here, unless I went to the window. I preferred not to look at it, it would only make me feel anxious. I grabbed my spear and sledgehammer, I had placed them under the couch. They were still there, no theft. I wasn’t exactly worried about it, but I can’t say it didn’t nag me somewhere deep in my mind.

The same people from yesterday were guarding the supplies. John talking to them. I approached them and we exchanged pleasantries. They offered me food and water and I took it. John asked me about my weapon and I told him the same thing I told Noah. Will was the one who asked if I was planning to use both, which I said no. They spoke about the same thing as Gabriela and I said I wanted to offer it to Chen first. Will gave me a funny look, but didn’t comment. He said I could leave it with him and he would pass to the boy. I saw no reason to say no, it was awkward to carry two weapons around.

I ate two protein bars and we spoke a little. John didn’t say much, especially nothing about where he was. I also didn’t say anything about my training. Will was the more talkative type, he shared some of the happenings in the base from yesterday. Nothing major, just some discussions, people complaining about the situation and some who were taking it harder than others. I listened, but didn’t really pay attention.

When people started coming down in numbers, things were getting increasingly busy. Johann came down with around eight people and John left. I took it as a cue and decided to leave as well. Johann gave me a pointed look, but said nothing. I also kept to myself.

John had told me earlier I would hold the same position as last time. Things had worked out, there was no reason to move me around. Noah was to support me again, despite his injury. Noah had volunteered. I wanted to say something, but thought better of it. If it was his decision, he was probably confident he was able to fight.

I did some light stretching and warm up exercises. There was still over an hour before the wave started according to the sky clock, but I wasn’t going to stay still like last time. I moved to my position and started to exercise thrusts and other spear movements. I had done some yesterday, but I had been mostly trying to increase my DEX. Today I wanted to warm up my muscles for the spear movements. I had come up with somewhat of a routine. Slash, stab and hit with the shaft. It was awkward at first, but as I repeated it, I started to get the hang of it. I was so engrossed in it that I didn’t see when Noah had arrived. He whistled and threw me a bottle of water. I grabbed it by reflex. I was only sweating lightly, even after an hour of exercising.

“Aren’t you going to tire yourself before the fight, mate?”

I gulped half the bottle of water down.

“No, I feel full of energy. I think my body has merely warmed up.”

“Warmed up? I have been standing here for half an hour, mate. How long have you been doing this?”

“One hour, more or less.”

He pretended to stumble forward, even though he was standing and leaning against a wall in the alley.

“Stop messing around, Noah. I saw how much you can run around. You know this ain’t much.”

“Alright, alright. I am not going to mess with you, but this was some solid exercise. I am not sure if I could say I merely warmed up after all that.”

I smiled at him but said nothing. I threw him back the water and we positioned ourselves on the barricade. He would cover my sides as before and I would take the front. As the minutes ticked away we were increasingly more anxious. I gripped my spear tighter and stared at the sky clock as it slowly zeroed.

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

23:59:59

[The third wave has started.]


This chapter has been reviewed and edited with the help of Densor.

If you like the novel, please remember to rate and review! It helps a ton.
Enjoy!

10