Chapter 1. A Challenger Approaches
561 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Within the vast and wide universe that we live in, there are many different worlds. Some of them are filled with what can be considered strange, non-sentient creatures, some of them are just another Earth filled with humans, and some are filled with other humanoid beings known as Beastmen. 

One might wonder who, or even what is responsible for establishing this? Who could possibly be in control of all these worlds, and for what reason would they establish other worlds that are nearly identical?

The answers to these questions are very simple. 

Every world which holds life has a deity that watches over it. Some deities can be considered quite... 'protective' of their worlds and make sure to take extra care when it comes to protecting the lives they are in charge of. In contrast to such an attitude, some deities are a bit more... shall we say, ambitious? They will provide their worlds with powers that some deities would describe as extremely destructive. Naturally, however, such ambitious deities obviously do not care what other more subtle, protective, deities dare to say of their actions. If it's their world, it's their rules.

I am sure you can understand what sort of 'higher power' there is within these worlds now, yes? 

Whatever the deities want, whatever they see as fit to be put in place, it is or shall be done to the letter. Of course, such an attitude is widely accepted within the Society of the Deities.

Within one such colorful world like this, a world filled with many different types of humanoid life forms; Humans, Elves, Orcs, Beastmen, and even Dwarves. They all live within an uncertain harmony. Of course, when a world has so many different life forms within it, chaos is inevitable. That is why some deities, who prefer order and unity, avoid authoring such a creation. The amount of stress it can produce for them in trying to control it all can be described as immeasurable.

Of course, when it works out, it is ever so beautiful and when it doesn't, naturally there are problems. That is of course, where we step in.

Universal Mercenary Corps, an elite company of supercharged souls that are capable of undertaking tasks that normal souls cannot. Whenever a deity is need of some action done in their stead, they turn to us. In exchange for souls, they are given one of these elite souls for the duration of one lifetime. What they choose to have them do or where they go is completely up to the deity. Whether they want a hero or a villain, it's all up to the behest of the deity in charge! As long as payment has been made, nothing is impossible.

 

 

~~~~

 

 

It was 3 P.M. on what could be described as an average Wednesday afternoon. The everyday sounds of life flooded the streets of Red Veil City; the 'Crown Jewel' of the English Colonies in North America. The City of Adventurers they call it. Home to one of the most prestigious cadet academies in the West. One could imagine that this city has quite the chip on its shoulder because of the Academy, the numerous Guilds which headquarter here, and, of course, they would be right. 

Red Veil City is less than 50 years old, and has already become home to over half a million residents and is still growing at a steady pace. Of course, when you are built right next to some of the most renowned hunting grounds this world has ever seen, you will attract the attention of those who wish to be near them, be they good or bad, people are people.

Detective Charles Reagan Mariner, one of the more well known detectives within the Red Veil City Police force was currently making his way out of his high-end, four-door sedan after arriving at the scene of a crime. 

Currently, he was talking on his phone.

"Yes, Olivia~... we will be there to pick you up at 7 as we have previously discussed. I've not forgotten about it, alright love? Cassie and I will be there to welcome you with arms open wide, I assure you." *sigh* Charles sighed after sarcastically drawing out his words, "You mustn't stress yourself out too much, you will get those detestable lines all over your face, trust me I am speaking from experience here~."

"I am not stressed, Charles, I was just calling you to see if you might be busy and if I should just get a cab if that was the case! Why are you suddenly calling me a worrier out of nowhere?! I am not the type that worries! ... Anyways you said you will still make it right?"

Olivia's clearly agitated reply caused Charles to frown ever so slightly. 

'She just confirmed what I was stating a second ago... Is she just negligent of her own character?' 

Charles thought for a moment and then gave a quick response.

"I meant no offense, dear cousin. Forgive me. *Cough* But yes, we are going to be there to receive you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go and converse with a couple of cadavers. Goodbye for now~."

He did not even wait for a reply as he cut the call and placed his phone back into his designer jacket. He then confidently strode up to the yellow tape that was blocking the way into an underground parking lot.

He flashed his badge at the officer which was standing at the entrance and continued to make his way onto the crime scene.

"Detective Mariner!" 

The voice of an older gentleman reached Charles' ears as he made his way past a few forensics people which were checking for Mana signatures around the underground parking lot.

"Ah~... my dear Commissioner. I must say, it is a bit rude to call me into work on my day off. Of course, I can make an exception just this once if this favor is paid for with some overtime wages."

Charles made a wry smile as he shook hands with his boss.

The Commissioner frowned at Charle's greeting and quickly voiced his displeasure. 

"Don't be a smart-ass, Mariner. Something is off about this crime, our boys are thinking it might have been premeditated. The reason I called you in is that the strange bit about all this concerns you."

"Truly? I am quite intrigued now." Charles popped an eyebrow and began to take a step back theoretically. 

He walked with the Commissioner towards 6 Blacked out SUVs that were all parked at peculiar angles.

Of course, a quick activation of Charle's Gift of Observation told him everything one could learn from just observing.

'Drug deal, obviously. Most likely one between organized groups going off of the quality of the vehicles alone. Based on location, should be Irish as the sellers... maybe Italian Mafia as the buyers, still need confirmation. Scarlet Flame is most likely the product if it was the Irish selling, that shit's been spread throughout the city quite liberally as of late... To summarize: One group is the supplier and the other is the buyer getting a restock. Joy~.'

As Charles was busy building some theories in his mind, his train of thought was quickly interrupted by his boss, the commissioner

"Take a look at this Mariner... the message that was left on this wall here is the entire reason why I called you in the first place." The Commissioner walked up to the wall and pointed towards a blueish text that appeared to be written with Magic power.

{Lets play a game Detective Mariner}

Charles stared at the text with a sour look on his face. The Commissioner saw this and became a bit concerned, he figured that his detective might be taking this a bit harshly. However, Charles' response immediately shoved that notion into the dumpster.

"Their grammar is atrocious. No apostrophe between the 'T' and 'S', and no comma before 'Detective'.... either this fellow lacks a decent education or-"

The Commissioner clicked his tongue in response, "I don't care about his grammar, Mariner! I care about the message itself! ...*sigh* He's clearly called you out, so what's his game? If he is using the bodies of criminals as bait, what can we take from this?"

Charles quickly responded, not missing a beat. 

"Well, clearly you are jumping to assumptions here, they know me... could be more than one person. They must have some sort of history with me... I am not sure as to who it might be, but we should keep our scopes as broad as possible, no one should be excluded. As for why they decided to use organized criminals within this specific part of town as the bait... I am still working on that one. Speaking of which, where are the cadavers? I need a bit more information on these possible perpetrators and the cadavers should be the most talkative witnesses."

"They have already been taken off the scene, but this is also where it becomes even more perplexing, Mariner. We have photographs of the bodies, you should take a look. Douglas! Can you bring the Detective the photos you have?" The Commissioner waved one of the policemen over.

"Well, if you moved them then I suppose pictures will suffice. What exactly did you find on the bodies? From the smell in here and the lack of blood on the floor, this should have been an unexpected attack. Also, were the drugs you confiscated real and was the money left alone?"

The Commissioner quickly responded while Charles took a look at the photos he was handed.

"Heh, I Figured you would know the contents of the deal were left alone. 300 Kilograms of Scarlet Flame, it was confirmed to be the real stuff. We collected $2.5 million U.S., none of the bills were counterfeit. These guys were serious... We believe they were Irish and Italian Mafia based on the ethnicity of the corpses. Regardless, someone, or some group, was able to kill off these professionals without leaving a single mark on their bodies, and then carved that message on the wall, targeting you... Who would do this Mariner?"

Charles casually flipped through the pictures of the bodies that once laid on the cold tarmac no more than an hour ago.

 

*Sigh*

 

He released a deep sigh while he began to speed up his pace of flipping through the pictures.

'Nothing~... more nothing... absolutely... nothing!'

He did not say anything in response to the Commissioner.

Finally, after he flipped through all of the photos a second time, he handed them back to the officer who gave them to him.

'Why me? ...What do these characters want? I find it hard to believe that it could be a single person, due to the complexity of this arrangement and from clean it all was. Now, whats my history with this group? Did I do something to offend them? Is it just a random challenge? Perhaps the return of an old rival with his lackeys in tow? ... I don't have rivals though... I suffer from being just so damn successful.'

Charles silently looked around the parking lot once more for a few seconds and then stared at the message which was carved onto the wall. After some quick deliberation, he came to a conclusion. 

This was nothing more than a taunt, not a challenge. This mysterious mastermind was treating this as a game!

'This little bugger thinks he can play games with me... Very well then, I shall be sure to catch you... when I have the time, of course.'

He then promptly raised both of his middle fingers at the wall and quickly made his way towards the entrance from which he came.

'I am not gonna humor this pathetic anchovy, at least not today! I have a house that needs cleaning!'

His quick action caused quite a stir, some of the officers even chuckled at the humorous sight.

"...Mariner?!" The Commissioner exclaimed, he was quite taken aback by his Detective's unprofessional action.

"I've got a cousin flying in from England and a daughter that needs picking up from the Academy my dear Commissioner! I've no time for riddles! ... Do keep me posted though and be sure to send me the autopsy results via telepathy when you receive them! If I am correct, it should have been a mental attack on our deceased crooks. Have the lads at the lab check the brain's of the deceased chemical levels just to be certain~... Bye bye for now!"

Charles just continued walking on back towards his car without taking a single look back.

'Someone who challenges... no, provokes me... they must be quite confident. From how cleanly they killed these men, it would suggest that they are no suckers... but something is bothering me~... No look-outs were killed. All the bodies were from deep inside the parking lot where the deal was taking place. Unless the Mafia is suddenly getting rusty, they don't go through with such high-stake deals without having a few men at the door. They are professionals, not amateurs, and even some amateurs know to always have a lookout! So this fellow and his men must have been known to the rest... Perhaps someone within the Mafia itself... heh! At least I have a starting point~.

"Oh my dear fellow, have you any real talent, or is it all just a blurred surface? *Tsk* Regardless, when the time comes, I will find you~."  

Although Charles currently had no time for distasteful games and riddles, he still had time to plaster a confident smile onto his face as he quickly walked back to his car.

His phone began buzzing within his jacket.

He subconsciously rolled his eyes at having his prideful moment interrupted as he took his phone out. Checking the caller I.D. he quickly threw away his sour attitude and answered it with a genuine smile on his face as he slid into his car.

"My dear angel! A pleasure to hear from you! How's been your day?"

It was his one and only steady foundation. The one that he can turn to in order to find comfort from this cruel and harsh world that he is forced into every single day...

"First place you say?! Sensational work love~! I knew you could do it. As I am speaking to you, I am on my way to pick you up. I shall see you soon~! Goodbye!"

His daughter, Cassie.

 

~~~~

"Hah~! Okay dad, see you soon!" Cassie chuckled at her dad's over the top praise and then cut the call. He must be in a pretty slap happy mood at the moment for him to sound completely off the rails like that. Nevertheless she loved him dearly. 

After quickly swiping away her numerous notifications, Cassie put her phone back into her pocket.

 

*Sigh*

 

She took a quick look at the objective she had been working on since joining this cadet academy.

{Current Objectives}

1. Create a name for yourself. [Status: In Progress... 12%, Young  Prodigy]
2. Assassinate High Ranking Officials. [Status: In Progress... 0/30]
3. Assassinate High Ranking Demon Lords. [Status: In progress... 0/4]
4. To Be Determined...

'The price of fame is quite high these days, only 12% and I've already had so many eyes on me. The number of Guilds that want me to join them has been increasing since last year, over 200K people on social media follow me, and those constant requests for interviews never seem to go away either...  Geez, if it wasn't for you Stevie, I think I would have cracked under the pressure long ago!'

*That's quite alright, Cassie. I figured you would need help with such, so I am making sure to give you as much guidance as possible. Efficiency is important after all.*

'So helpful... if only I could give you something in return~.'

*No payment is necessary, I am artificial after all.*

'I know, it's just a habit I guess. Well, when we get back home, we have to prepare for cousin Olivia's visit! Should be fun having another girl around the house these days and since it's Cousin Olivia, maybe she could help me out with getting dad to sign off on the contract I want!'

*A distinct possibility, however I fear it will not do much in terms of swaying your father's opinion. I recommend we stay the course we are on and show him through your determination, really.*

'Eh, I donno... that doesn't seem to be all that effective.'

A sudden interruption broke the conversation between Cassie and Stevie, causing Cassie to divert her attention.

"Hey, Blackfoot!"

From further up the sidewalk, a rather stunning Elf beauty walked up towards Cassie with steps that even professional models would envy.

'Oh Lord... I can't stand it,' Cassie groaned inwardly as she saw this 'friend' of hers approach her.

*Hmm~ Your envy is understandable, Elves are considered a race which inhibit many traits of outstanding beauty and grace. It is only natural that you might see someone like her as your rival.*

'Envy?! Stevie... you need to watch what you say, that ain't funny.'

"Uh? Are you busy at the moment or something? I don't mean to disturb you."

The Elf beauty voiced her queries with a caution filled tone. Regardless, her voice still sounded like a soothing wind-song.

"Ah~," Cassie took a second to think of a response, "No, you are not disturbing me. I am just trying to figure out what you want. Cause I don't think you want advice~."

Cassie propped one eyebrow up and crossed one of her slender legs over the other. Taking on a pose that appeared to state that she was in control.

The Elf beauty, Alexa, took that reply for what it was and lightly backed off. Her clear ocean blue eyes which were looking over Cassie grew wide ever so slightly. She took a deep breath and decided that it would be best to just swallow her pride for a few seconds.

"Well, if you insist that I get straight to the point... I was wondering if you could lend me some of your notes for next weeks exam? I- I can pay for them if need be."

".... Wait, what?" 

Cassie who was expecting something more than mere notes was taken a bit off guard by this more straightforward approach, but she quickly regained her cool at behest of her helpful assistant.

*Cassie, I recommend you offer to do it in exchange for a favor. This Elf is an Enchanter after all, it will be far more beneficial for you to get that short sword enchanted as soon as possible too.*

Cassie immediately lit up inside at Stevie's proposal.

 'Your right! I need to get that sorted as soon as possible, don't I?'

Alexa was beginning to grow a bit impatient at not having received an answer for a few seconds, she was wondering if Cassie was mocking her inwardly.

"If- if you can't, I understand. I will just go about my own business then."

Her vexing tone seemed to sound her retreat as she turned away to leave, but Cassie quickly stopped her before she walked away.

"Uh, no, wait!... I will help you. Just... uh... Yeah! Give me your email, I will send you my notes later. But, instead of money, I could use a... favor."

Cassie smiled at the end of her quick, fumbled reply. It seemed to give the wrong impression as the Elf's eyes seemed to have opened even wider and her cheeks and long ears were dyed slightly red... not to mention that Cassie was also currently holding her wrist with a type grip that seemed like she intended on holding on for a while.

For a few seconds, the Elf beauty Alexa was at a loss for words. There was a 'frog in her throat' that kept her from voicing anything.

"I need something enchanted, you think you can do it?"

Cassie told the Elf her terms and that seemed to be a trigger as Alexa's expression shifted.

"You-... you want something... enchanted?"

Alexa's head cocked to the side as she voiced her question.

Cassie nodded quite happily.

"Yeah! If you can enchant an item for me, I will give you my notes for the rest of the finals. Deal?"

She let go of Alexa's wrist and held out her hand, smiling as she did so.

Alexa was a bit perplexed at the sudden offer, but frankly, being offered a golden ticket never really rubbed her the wrong way... and if it was just at the price of enchanting a weapon... This was more like a deal heavily favoring her instead.

"Very well, if you are fine with this arrangement, I won't complain." She graciously accepted, even showing a smile of her own.

"Great, what's your email? I will send you the notes later tonight... actually, can you give me your phone number too?"

After exchanging information with each other in the crowded school yard, the two parted company. Cassie walked back over to the bench she was on and sat down with a satisfied expression on her face.

'That went smoothly enough... now, I just have to wait for dad to show up and we can head on home!'

Speaking of the devil, no more than a few seconds later, a luxurious 4 door sedan had just pulled up to the academy entrance.

"Right on time, as per usual." Cassie voiced as she looked at her phone. 

3:45 P.M. The appointed time for every single day of the week, weekends not included of course.

A good father is a punctual father, and in this life, she had something that she has never had in her previous life; a good father. 

11