Chapter 10
179 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"And here I thought it was going to be warm and sunny all day," Takehide sighed as the water drummed upon the wagon's canopy. The sound of the bird dragging the wagon through the mud was the only distinct sound other than the wind gusting against the white cover. "It's almost night and this weather has slowed us down…"

"Did you listen to some oracles bogus forecast or something?" Elena huffed in a joking demeanor as he chuckled at her remake about how he assumed what the weather was to be.

"We might have to take cover for the night," the driver turned his head and looked back towards his dry customers. The Spear Hero especially, his eyes rested upon the spear bearer.

"That will leave us open for monster attacks," Eclair said as she stared through the driver.

"We can handle whatever lowly creature comes after us," although sounding confident as he spoke, he wasn't being serious. If it was something they couldn't handle, they were going to have no choice but to run. Even then, the amount of experience they could get out in the wild was immeasurable compared to near the Castle Town where monsters were far tamer.

"Monster Activity gets worse during the dark," Rino leaned on her staff, watching the egg on display resting in Takehide's lap. She was sitting directly beside him with her staff between her legs.

"Plus the rain will dampen our hearing, along with other senses such as sight… We'll have to be incredibly alert if we stop anywhere tonight." No matter how much Elena just wanted to sit back and relax, she had to point this out as their lives depended on it.

"This rain doesn't look like it's going to let up until morning," Takehide leaned towards the opening behind the driver. His gaze went straight up to the dark clouds above.

"That egg, do you know what it is?" Rino asked as she lightly nudged the Hero's side.

Turning to look towards the girl, Takehide raised a brow and shrugged. "It's either a dragon or it's a bird. Though I am curious as to if this dragon will have wings or not…" A small grin formed over his lips as he imagined himself on the back of a winged dragon. "Rin-tan, what do you think it is?"

"Mmhmm… A dragon would be awesome," Rino chirped.

"Oh?" Elena pursed her lips looking to the Egg as she heard his response to Rino, vice versa, "It has at most three weeks until it hatches. So you'll have time to choose a name for it whether its a dragon or a Filolial."

"How about the name Varra or Varen if it's a male?" Takehide suggested.

"...It's your companion Takehide-sama," Rino giggled, "It's your choice."

"I think Varra is actually kinda pretty, Takehide-sama," Elena caressed her chin in thought as she replied herself. Then she nodded in agreement with her own words. This made Takehide smile a bit more as they were all talking to one another almost casually.

"Thanks for the support," Snickered Takehide closed his eyes partially, listening to the rain as it continued its unending barrage. The dirt road appeared to be relatively uneven. Every few meters the wagon gave a sudden jump, and overall constantly wobbled on through nature's imperfections.

"Your stop is halfway to Mirso, correct?" The driver asked as he gave a light flick of his wrist with the reigns, causing the bird to pick up speed.

Takehide nodded to the driver as they glanced back to retrieve their answer. A small chuckle escaped his lips before he replied, "A little further north, but essentially, Driver-san."

"Just call me Philip," Sighed the man as he waved a hand in dismissal, focusing back on the reins. "I'm just making sure I don't miss your stop, Sir Hero."

"Alright, Philip-san. It is a pleasure to meet you," Takehide yawned lightly as he peered down at his map, curious of all the surroundings that were marked upon it. Based on the Guild Map, it was much more detailed than the one given to him by Elhart.

Elena shifted her ankle over her knee, watching the Hero as he sat there beside Rino. "So, since we're going towards Mirso, think you'd like to see the Dragon?"

"It could be territorial…" Takehide scratched the side of his neck, not looking up from the map. There was so much out there that he couldn't really see from the wagon due to the rain. 'What would the dragon do if we impeded on its territory? If it attacked us… I'm not too sure we'd survive. What level is it anyway?'

Takehide stared at his level ten status screen, his attack was abnormally high along with his agility. During their venture from the Castle Town, a few of his spears unlocked their abilities after reaching mastery by just wielding them. These spears added to his attack, defense, and even his agility.

Then there was the Slave-User Spear, one of the first to have unlocked since he began using it prior to their leaving the town. Now he was on the Dragon Tooth spear once more, the rarest of the ones he had collectively copied thus far.

"So about every two hours the lower level spears seem to reach their mastery limits… Probably achieve this faster with other strengthening methods," he sighed quietly. If he used spiritual enrichment, he could at the same time, use the microtransactions to aid in avoiding failures. That was a really good idea to speedily enhance his power and stats but at the same time… He didn't have all that much money and there was no telling how long this rain was going to last. It was more likely that he needed to return to the city to make any real money since the villages likely had lesser income and pricing rates.

"Str...Strengthening methods…?" Rino smiled lightly, "I heard about those for the seven vassal heroes. Plus the King has the Staff Vassal… M-maybe he could help?"

Takehide stared at the mage who was telling him of this and slowly nodded. "Though the King is abusing his power with the absence of the Queen, I could help myself through him." He brought a thumb to his chin as he glanced back down to the map.

Elena sighed, as if it was contagious, after hearing the man speak of the King and Queen as if he knew what was going on. In some way, he wasn't wrong, the King was definitely abusing his position as a royal. He was giving the ruling family a bad name, along with his various supporters that were really just hands of the church.

Orson peered out the back of the wagon, staring at the muddy road leading back towards the capital that was no longer in sight. "How long high of a level do you think we'll need in order to fight the people who might have my daughters...?"

"Well…" Eclair cleared her throat, "Most of the Nobles and their men are former military. They are called to arms under their banners during times of war and internal strife." She looked over towards the man who she had met in prison, a faint smile across her lips, "I'll have to surmise at least level forty. Unless you're trained to deal with those who are a higher level than yourself. Skills and personal statistics prevail over level."

Orson nodded as it was understandable, this was the reason he couldn't stand against the traitorous knights who had taken his family away from him. A frown permeated on his face as he looked to the ceiling of the canopy.

"We're going to be coming up to the subjugation location in at most fifteen minutes," Philip announced to the adventurer crew that he was transporting. "If you want me to slow down, let me know now."

Laughing at the man as if he was joking, "Don't slow down for our sake," Takehide grinned down at the map. Visualizing a little icon moving along the highlighted trail they were taking.

"So, since it's likely going to take until a week before the wave for that egg to hatch," Elena stared down at the egg that was now resting between the hero's legs. "Where are we going to keep it whilst we're fighting?"

"I'll carry it," Takehide shrugged, "The spear has a few Javelin skills and I'm looking forward to using them against monsters. I only really need one hand."

"Rino-san," Elena turned her gaze to the mage sitting beside Takehide, "Can you hold onto the egg, or put it into your hat since you'll be covered as combat support?"

Takehide blinked hearing her speak, "I said that I can hold onto it."

"If you're distracted keeping the Egg safe, you won't be focused on keeping yourself from being hurt." Elena retorted as he tried to argue with her.

"She's not wrong, it'll be easier to fight with two hands since you're using a polearm. And a Javelin skill that can cause the cave to collapse could end up being troublesome for us." Eclair caressed her chin in thought as she knew that quick movements associated with the spear only needed one hand. Especially if it was a short spear variant. However at the same time, if he were to use the other forms he collected that were similar to glaives and halberds things may be a bit easier.

"Assuming the interior of the cave is narrow, then it is probably a good idea then… Not to use my Javelin skills then," He uttered as he thought about it. 'I already knew it was for the best that someone else held it… But I wanted to keep the Egg close.' Takehide felt responsible for the life he had purchased, he didn't want to willingly hand it off to someone else.

"High martial skills aren't necessarily needed for fighting monsters unless they're intelligent. Though from what you said earlier, I'd like to spar with you once the weather permits it." Eclair folded her arms over her chest, looking over the male for a few seconds before looking back out towards the world ahead of them.

"Understandable…" Takehide narrowed his gaze on the Knight before looking to Rino who was just smiling up at him. Reaching over, he swiftly poked her nose causing her to squeal and slip backward and nearly fall onto the bench of the wagon.

"T-Takehide-sama!" She covered her nose with her fingers, pulling her hat off the top of her head with her other hand. "Pl-please don't surprise me like that!"

"I'll try not to," Takehide closed one eye before looking back towards the map again, finding a habit of doing so. 'Just how impatient am I getting?' It was evident in his mind that he wanted to fight more than just balloon monsters.

"Why do I have a feeling that was a blatant lie?" Elena giggled.

"I said I would try, I didn't say I wouldn't do it." Takehide pointed towards the noblewoman with a snicker of his own, "They're not the same thing. I didn't lie"

"No fair!" Cried Rino as she fixed herself back up onto the seat, dusting off her side.

"Takehide-sama," Orson gave the two a glance-over, "You really like getting a rise out of people, don't you?" A small smirk formed over his lips as he saw the Hero raise a brow.

"Only the people I like being around," Takehide gave a coy grin of his own. "Thankfully I am quite enjoying my current company."

"Oh really?" Elena clasped her hands as she leaned forward, resting her wrists on her ankle. "What kind of reactions are you looking to get out of me, hm?"

Takehide blinked at this confrontational tone and how the woman's face had a piddling flush to it. As if she was glowing in the dark, her eyes kept centered on him, giving her a rather potent presence within the canopy. "A good one," His head gradually fell to the side, "I guess?"

For a few seconds, everyone in the wagon was dead quiet before a burst of laughter broke the silence.

"You're too much, Takehide-sama." Elena smiled fondly before her gaze drifted away from him. Leaning back against the inner wall of the canopy, her gaze went straight ahead as a gust of wind rushed through the cabin. Rain lightly painted her face as her mind went back home with her parents. Her mother, a merchant who made it good and her father a man who had earned his rank as a noble, unlike the old blood that surrounded the King.

"You're not the first," Takehide closed his eyes as he pressed the back of his head against the canopy, "To say that…"

'To think that the people in this world remind me of the last,' He was filled with nostalgia. 'Oddly enough though… I feel as if this place is a bit more to my liking.' Pulling up his status, the Hero narrowed his gaze on his affinities which were all blank. 'Still wanting that fire bladed spear.' A sigh escaped his lips, 'Perhaps I'll find some materials that have an affinity for fire.'

Glancing over some supplies which were piled in the corner of the wagon closest to him, Takehide noticed a pickaxe, hatchet, rope, and shovel. These were likely used to help free the wagon if it had gotten stuck.

Reaching over he picked up the pickaxe, looking over its make.

"You can use those if you'd like," Philip said as he glanced over towards them, a brow furrowed. "Just leave the shovel and rope."

"Ah, understandable." Chuckled Takehide as he looked at the driver who had quickly noticed him looking through the emergency equipment.

[ Requirements Met. Pickaxe Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Equipment Bonus: Mining 1 ]

Narrowing his eyes on the weapon as it changed shape, he watched as the bladed end of his weapon became that of a pickaxe with a sharp tip at the end. It was similar to that of a halberd, which made him chuckle lightly. "Just have to shrink my weapon to make it a bit easier to use…" He uttered to himself before putting the ax down and following up with the hatchet. "I wonder if I could get an Icepick from one of the mountain villages..."

[ Requirements Met. Hatchet Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Equipment Bonus: Felling 1 ]

His spear then took on another form as it changed to appear like a hatchet combined with a spear. The very shaft of the weapon curved slightly into the process. It was even more like a halbert than the pickaxe before.

Putting the tool down, he reached over and grasped the spade shovel that was beside the rope. Momentarily he had forgotten what Philip had said, but it wasn't as if he was feeding the items to the spear.

[ Requirements Met. Spade Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Equipment Bonus: Landscaping 1 ]

Unlike the last two that were practically copied to the weapon by adding spear-like attributes, the weapon's blade transformed into a wide sharpened spade edge. If it were used for combat, Takehide was sure he could behead someone quite easily with the Cardinal Weapon given his world's physics. A chuckle escaped his lips as he slowly put the spade down and scrolled through the tool series.

Picking up the rope however, nothing happened. A sigh of disappointment took to his lips as he stared at the item before dropping it. He was sure that was essential for the driver to have, so he wasn't going to feed it, as his weapon's jewel was glowing hungrily.

As the wagon began to slow, all of the adventurers turned their heads to look toward the front of the transport. They were closing in on a densely forested area that was some ways away from Mirso Village.

"We have arrived at the destination you've asked for," Philip chuckled as he looked over their surroundings. There were eyes on them and he nervously shifted in his seat. There were monsters out in the darkness between the trees. "Your cave should be a few hundred more meters to the west."

"I see…" Takehide plucked the egg from his lap, keeping it in its case, before handing it over to Rino who enthusiastically grasped a hold of the item. He watched as she tucked the egg of his against her chest. A faint chuckle escaped her lips.

"Wh-what are you laughing at, T...Takehide-sama...?" Rino letting her imagination go wide was becoming red in the face out of embarrassment

"Nothing, nothing at all. Your slender form is just perfect," Takehide gave a wink as the wagon finally came to a complete halt.

Rino's face was practically on fire as he was hitting on her again. "You're… Enjoying this far too much… Takehide-sama…" She bleated as she moved to get up from her spot.

Standing up from his seat, Takehide was the first to hop out the back of the wagon with his spear at the ready.

With their surroundings secure, each of his companions descended from the wagon one by one. Each one taking his hand on the way down, aside from Orson who landed heavily with his boots sinking into the mud on impact.

"So, from what the guild said, there are at least a few dozen monsters here. They suspect there is a dungeon buried underneath," Elena spoke over the rain that was matting down her hair.

"There is one," Takehide yawned, "If it follows the screenshots I recall," his eyes traveled over the wooded area. Other than the rain and wild eyes watching over them, it seemed eerily calm. "Then the theme of the Dungeon is patience and dice."

"Dice?" Elena puckered her lips like that of a duck in an inquisitive disposition.

"Aye…" Takehide rubbed the back of his head, "Essentially you're given two dice, and when you enter certain zones you can advance the particular amount of tiles that you've rolled. It's a very infuriating game I'd imagine if your build is focused around movement."

Elena stared at him, before glancing down at her rapier with an unsatisfied sigh.

"We should get inside the cave, or under cover of the trees," Eclair spoke up as she watched the Wagon begin to move and head off towards Mirso. Her gaze then fell to Rino who was standing there beside Orson. "Before any of us catch a cold."

Rino spoke up as her hat was planted back on her head by now, "T...Takehide-sama, I'll follow right behind you."

Nodding in acknowledgment to his party, "I want everyone to double up. If the cave is open enough, I'd like it if we didn't travel single file until we enter the dungeon." With that, he continued towards the general direction of the cave. There was little thought in his actions as he grasped onto the shaft of his spear with both hands, one tightly and the other in a loose manner, ready for quick offensive movements.

"What is even in the dungeon? At the end of it, I mean." Elena asserted her question as she began walking towards the wooded area.

"A young chimera I believe… And if I remember correctly there should be some minable Sulfur and other minerals in the cave." Takehide wanted to get his hands on one of the primary ingredients of black powder. Perhaps it could give him an explosive edge against his targets, but he wasn't all that sure. Though the idea of it giving him some affinity with fire excited him.

Without a second to lose, the five of them made their way into the forest.

With mud squishing under their feet, the four behind Takehide kept their eyes on their surroundings. Listening to the wind, to the rain as it fell, they could roughly estimate how many monsters were encircling them as they went. Based on the tactics, Takehide could assume they were either feline or canine and were moving in a pack.

This told them enough to keep at the ready.

Orson and Eclair were at the back of the line, whilst Rino and Elena were directly behind Takehide who led the group. They were protected at the flanks.

After several minutes of trekking through the wood infested area, they came across an empty clearing surrounding a protruding cave. It seemed to be artificially made, as the entrance was built from giant slabs of clearcut grey rocks. The grass was mostly dead surrounding it, giving an afoul yellowish-brown hue that nearly matched the dirt.

"Strange," Eclair uttered.

"The cave was once a mine, so there's nothing really strange about it." Elena shrugged lightly, having studied the history of the region, she knew some of the abandoned mines. Though there was still only rumor of there being a dungeon inside, as no one went here to investigate and most adventurers didn't return.

Part of her now believed that was due to the dice theme that Takehide spoke of.

"So what happens when you step on a tile without rolling a dice?" Elena asked as she looked to the Hero intrigued by the puzzle they may be walking into.

"Floor tile opens up under you and you drop into a pit of acid, if I recall correctly." Takehide clucked his tongue at the top of his mouth, "Don't trip."

"I won't," Elena's eyes widened at the thought of being dropped into a deadly trap such as that. "About how big are these tiles?"

"I want to say one meter, maybe two in width?" His unsure response caused all of the party members to nearly stumble over themselves.

As they made their way to the center of the clearing, the sound of their stalkers growling could be heard. About nine canine creatures with black coats of fur emerged from the bushes and from behind the trees. Their movements were cautious, but their eyes were glowing red due to the sun going down.

"Are you sure we couldn't have just gone to Mirso and waited until tomorrow?" Asked Elena as her anxious sweat was hidden expertly by the rain.

"We'll be fine," Takehide chuckled as he scanned their opponents with his eyes, "The more active they are, the more experience we'll have in battles of attrition. Remember, cover one another if things get tough and keep your enemies in front of you! Move into a protective semi-circle position in front of Rino."

[ Black Dog Monster 1 Lv 10 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 2 Lv 9 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 3 Lv 8 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 4 Lv 10 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 5 Lv 12 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 6 Lv 14 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 7 Lv 6 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 8 Lv 10 ]

[ Black Dog Monster 9 Lv 10 ]

"The Black Monster dog in the center of all of them, the level fourteen, seems to be the pack leader." Takehide pointed out as the group of five formed up into a semi-circle in front of Rino. "If we take him out, they might retreat or act erratic, avoid killing him first."

"As you say, Takehide-sama!" Orson shouted as he held his sword staff at the ready, his right hand six inches under the blade and the other three feet from the butt of the spear.

Takehide held his glaive formed spear with his left under the blade, and his other hand the other end. As the monsters charged the group, he centered his gaze on the two that were coming at him. Two of the level tens, their teeth bared as they let out fierce barks of alarm as they made in on him. From their mouths, thick white saliva blending in with the falling rain running off of their jaws.

Drawing their swords, Eclair and Elena professionally readied themselves in the center between the two men for their opponents.

"Ha!" Takehide lunched forward as one of them leaped from the ground, smashing the flat side of his polearm's blade into its face. He brought the Black Dog down quickly before swiftly retreating back and spinning the shaft before slashing the other upside the other monster's head. Blood splattered up the side of his armor, only to be quickly washed away by the rain.

[ +345 EXP ]

[ +350 EXP ]

[ +323 EXP ]

[ +312 EXP ]

[ +310 EXP ]

The black dog that he had knocked down previously had begun to slowly get back up, heavily disoriented. "Rrrrrrrr!" It growled just before Takehide ran the flexible blade of his glaive through its neck, decapitating the creature with a singular swift motion.

[ +347 EXP ]

[ +353 EXP ]

[ +326 EXP ]

[ +317 EXP ]

[ +313 EXP ]

Eclair stepped forward as she brought her knightly sword into one of the canines that came to assault her, cleaving its head in two. As the weapon was briefly stuck in the remains of its skull, Elena lunged forward and jabbed another attacking dog in the throat, before kicking it aside.

With a punctured trachea, the dog collapsed, choking on its own blood as it stumbled before falling over onto its side. In the next coming seconds, the monster lay still, dead and unmoving.

Moving back, Eclair then promptly retreated back to her starting position as she withdrew her weapon from the corpse. Readying her grip around her hilt with both hands, she eyed the remaining five dogs who were now attempting to surround them.

However, even as they tried to outflank them, the group moved to compensate. Spreading out from one another to create a spacious encirclement, three of the monsters all charged at Orson.

"As the source of thy power, I order thee, for I have read and deciphered a law of nature. Wind attack! Zveit Air Shot!" Rino recited, sending an explosive blast of air from the end of her staff spiraling out towards one of the incoming beasts.

The level four beast was knocked out of the air, the sound of its bones being crushed resonating in the wind. It went crashing down into the mud, the rain keeping it down as Orson slashed one of the two remainings beasts, only to smash the butt into the dog's ribs. Just as the dog fell to the ground, he quickly brought the sword staff down upon the creature's neck with a satisfying crunch.

[ +345 EXP ]

[ +350 EXP ]

[ +323 EXP ]

[ +312 EXP ]

[ +310 EXP ]

"There are two more left," Takehide noted as he spun his weapon, keeping it with rapid movement. The leader of the group and what appeared to be the beta still remained, foam coming from its mouth. "And they're angry…"

Eclair held her weapon out to the side now with one hand, moving to stand beside Takehide as they attempted to line themselves up with him. "They are going to charge!"

"Really? How can you tell?" Laughed Takehide as he kept a wheeling posture with his glaive with the shaft guided along his waist, his eyes never leaving the last two active dogs.

Meanwhile, Orson walked over to the downed and struggling dog as he placed both hands below the guard of his sword staff. Raising it into the air he then plunged the blade strongly through its head, killing the monster.

[ +347 EXP ]

[ +353 EXP ]

[ +326 EXP ]

[ +317 EXP ]

[ +313 EXP ]

The last two dogs had their eyes on Takehide. His constant almost erratic movement catching their attention. Each time he completed a circuit they flinched, tensing and smacking their paws down into the dirt. Every time they went to move forward, he took a step forward and the creature's advances faltered over and over again.

'It's like playing with pets…' Takehide brought his weapon to a stop, resting the shaft against the back of his arm as he freely pointed his weapon to the highest level monster. 'They're excited.'

It was four levels above him, but based on his own skills and his attack level, Takehide assumed he had the high ground. There was no fighting him without being scathed or slain.

The Dog looked to its mate, before snarling and lowering the front of its body as its bushy black tail raised into the air. Then as lightning struck, the two of them burst forth towards the group of humans. It was a suicide attack, they were nothing but diseased beasts as foam poured from their mouths.

In only took a few seconds and one of them was already leaping into the air. The level fourteen black dog was going for his neck, Takehide's neck with a murderous glint in its eye. The other was going for his leg.

Grinning lightly as the monster was coming in for him, he recited the name of a special skill, "Dragon's Breath!" The white blade of his glaive gave a nasty crimson red glow as a disembodied head of a dragon was conjured directly in front of him. Unable to stop their attacks in time, the deafening roar of a dragon blasted the black dog monsters with a blazing inferno.

[ +415 EXP ]

[ +410 EXP ]

[ +400 EXP ]

[ +400 EXP ]

[ +400 EXP ]

[ +415 EXP ]

[ +410 EXP ]

[ +400 EXP ]

[ +400 EXP ]

[ +400 EXP ]

[ Orson has reached Level 12 ]

[ Rino has reached Level 15 ]

[ Elena has reached Level 13 ]

[ Takehide has reached Level 12 ]

[ Eclair has reached Level 11 ]

As the flames dissipated along with the duration of the skill, he lowered the spear and stared at the scorched remains. Steam rose from the dead bodies of the monsters as the rain continued to fall. "Now that was something I never saw coming…" Takehide admitted as he animatedly lifted to blade to look at it, observing a fervent heat emitting from its tip.

"Your skills are remarkable," Eclair stared at the scorched dog, before glancing over towards the other dead monsters that littered the clearing.

Takehide nodded lightly, "Thank you for your praise," he approached the dead monsters. Giving them a few glances, he pursed his lips, "They kind of reminded me of Yorkshires crossed with rottweilers." Without hesitation, he went about absorbing their dropped souls and materials into his weapon one by one.

[ Black Dog Head Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Black Dog Head Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: Tracking Spear ]

[ Special Ability: Dog Bite ]

[ Black Dog Claw Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Black Dog Claw Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: +5 Agility ]

[ Special Ability: Irritate Wound ]

A submenu appeared in front of him, revealing the energy gained from absorbing the monsters' materials. He then proceeded to use this same energy to unlock the equipment bonuses of his other spears.

What remained in the places of the monsters was very little, except for two drops from the highest level Black Dogs. There was a Black Dog Cloak and some strange black rock with brilliant green crystalline ore sticking out of it.

"Hmm… Nifty cloak..." Leaning over, he plucked the cloak off the ground and swung it over his shoulder before scooping the ore up in his free hand. Takehide then padded contently towards cover from the rain, whilst the rest of his group followed. Leaning against the inner wall of the entrance, he peered over the ore in his hand.

[ Malachite ]

"Malachite?" Takehide stared at the object in his hand, "What's a copper carbonate doing dropping from a Black Dog?" He asked himself rhetorically before absorbing the ore into his cardinal weapon.

[ Malachite Spear Unlocked]

[ Malachite Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: SP up (Medium) ]

"Huh… Interesting…" Takehide mumbled before looking to his team who were all looking at him. Their hair was disheveled upon to their heads as the rain had done a good number on them.

"Shall we head deeper inside?" Eclair gestured her knightly sword towards the opening they stood within as she rang out her hair.

"I'll take the lead then," Takehide nodded as he fixed the cloak over his shoulders and fastened its dark chain strap over his chest. Pulling the hood over his head, he grinned as he walked the cold damp interior of the cave.

[ Black Dog Cloak ]

[ Equip Enchantment: Agility Up (Small) ]

"We probably should have gotten a torch," Elena ran a hand through her short wet hair.

"I don't know, I'm not all that wet, and it's not really dark in here." Rino giggled as water dripped from her hat. Out of all of them, she seemed to be the driest, considering the cover her hat gave her. The only things that seemed to be wet were her sleeves and staff.

"Speaking of torches," Takehide noted a torch mounted on a nearby wall, lit with a bluish-green flame. Holding a hand near it, he felt a subtle warmth tickling at his fingertips. After confirming the torch gave off some form of heat, he snatched it from the wall emplacement. When he did so, the fire turned a normal reddish-yellow. "Who would like to hold it?" He asked as he turned around to look at the others.

Elena raised her hand as she shook her head rapidly, shedding drops of water in all directions.

Chuckling at her, Takehide held it out for her to take.

Taking it from him, she smirked to herself as she kept it close to herself. The temperature itself not only made her feel less cold but also started to help her dry off. "Thank you Takehide-sama."

"Don't mention it," Takehide teasingly gave a wink and a thumbs up towards the noblewoman before moving further into the cave.

Elena's upper lip curled into the lower at his expressions, not really understanding what he was being so chipper about. Though all the same, she couldn't help but admire it as he appeared rather charming in his own way. So far he was intelligent and displayed a skill for cooking, something that she quite enjoyed.

"In the game, the monsters were mostly oversized rats… Did the job that you picked up to say anything about the monsters that we were subjugating?" Takehide asked as he continued to lead the way, Elena staying close behind as to light his way. Due to the spacing of the other torches, there was very little light, leaving either dim areas or completely unlit ones.

"Over...Oversized rats…!?" Rino murmured, keeping the egg close to herself.

"There used to be giant rats in this area," Elena sighed, "but the listing didn't specify what we were killing. It's likely they want us to clear out the cave so they can get to the resources hidden here."

"I do recall a quest like that in the online guide," Takehide nodded practically speaking gibberish to them as he brought up the game again.

"I've been meaning to ask," Eclair walked up beside him, maneuvering around the torch with ease. "What was that gesture you showed the guards earlier?"

"Hm?" Takehide looked over towards the other noblewoman and Knight that once governed the territory that oversaw the freedom of demi-humans. "It was a very crude expression," he chuckled, "There is no reason to repeat it."

Eclair nodded slowly, only partially enthused by his antic, but at the same time, she wore an almost stoic expression. It was almost as if she had thought it to be too disrespectful for her taste.

"REEEEEEEEEEEE! REEE! REEE!" A giant rat jumped out of an open hole in the cave wall, squeaking and chomping its incisors down on the air.

Not a minute too soon, six more red eyes could be seen emerging from the darker areas ahead. They were all amassing under what appeared to be the warning signal of this particular creature.

"And this is why shields would be relatively good in this situation…" Takehide sighed.

"No one in our country uses shields!" Eclair spoke brazenly, readying her sword for repetitive forward jabs, whilst bending her knees for greater precision. "The Church of Three Heroes is so ingrained in nobility and the military, they objectively hate any kind of shield even if it's unrelated to the Legendary weapon!"

'I would hate to be a knight in this country…'

"You've got to be kidding me…" Takehide sighed as he recalled the shields that had been for sale in Elhart's shop. There seemed to have been no lack of them there.

Takehide, Eclair and Orson lined the front. Elena and Rino lined the back, protecting their rear to be sure rats didn't flank them from behind. With the narrowness of the cave, the three of them only had to stand there in order to jam up the passage. Their weapons at the ready as Takehide quickly impaled the shrieking rat ahead of them, swiftly kicking it off the end of his glaive form in a single rapid movement.

The silence didn't end.

Screeching and more shrieking could be heard as the rats were piling up, coming from every corner, straight ahead.

"Have I ever told you how much I hate rats?" Elena stated in a carefree tone, readying her rapier. Though there were none seen behind them as of yet.

"Now really isn't the time." Eclair snapped as the rats were beginning their charge.

Much like their group, the rats were in rows of three. The pitter-pattering of their pink feet rushed over the cold damp floors of the cave. There was no mercy in their eyes, only hunger and the desire to destroy what was in front of them.

"Ready…" Takehide had one leg retreat, as he started to wheel his weapon around himself, careful enough not to harm his neighboring teammates. The shaft moved flexibly, its blade loudly slashing away at the air and creating sparks as it grazed the stone faces. "Ready…"

'Using the Dragon's Breath in here may be hazardous. A javelin skill may also prove to lead to disaster…' The hero wanted to find a quick way to deal with these creatures. So far they were around their level, if not below considering some of them had raised a few levels.

"Rin-tan, Ellie-chan," he turned his head to glance over his shoulder. Takehide had an idea that he could employ both Elena and Rino in. "Wind magic in a narrow corridor could prove fatal against these creatures, can you two prepare the spells?"

Elena and Rino looked to one another, pushing their thoughts to the back of their minds, smiling. "WE can do it!" They nearly immediately moved to face the incoming swarm.

Though there was little room, Rino was able to move her staff between Takehide and Eclair. At the same time, Elena was able to do the same with her hands as the two of them recited their preparations together. "As the source of thy power, I order thee," Rino and Elena chanted over one another, for I have read and deciphered a law of nature. Wind, show our enemies despair! Zveit Maelstrom!"

Just as the rats were about to make contact with the group, a twisting gust of wind hurled the creatures sending them barreling backward. Smashing them into sharp rocks that lined the walls and ceiling of the cave passage.

Experience points popped up as normal, notifying the party of their increasing statuses. However, even with the two of them using wind magic in tangent, more than half of the gathered rats began to get back to their feet. While many of them remained down, unconscious or dead, the remaining conscious ones were merely grazed by the attack as the forward rows took the brunt of it.

"Advance on my lead!" Takehide moved forward slowly, his weapon at the ready to engage in direct contact. "Prepare!"

"Yes, Takehide-sama!" Orson as steam shot out of his nose, similar to that of a bull. He was prepared to slaughter these creatures for it was their mission. His sword staff couldn't be used for swinging motions, due to it being bigger than the Spear Hero's weapon. So, just like that he could only use jabbing and stabbing motions.

"Do you have enough mana for another wind attack?" Takehide asked as he glanced over at the others. The moment he saw their determined nods, he grinned, "Steady yourselves then and get ready!"

Some of the surviving rats began eating their fallen comrades, while the others began to reform their swarm and charge forward. These creatures weren't going to give up so easily it seemed. Thankfully they weren't giant insects, otherwise, the walls held the possibilities to be covered in the creepy crawlers!

Before the mage and the fellow swordsman who could use magic could cast their spells, the rats were already closing in. Takehide and Orson were the first ones to lunge forward.

Without using named skills, Takehide swept a number of rats aside with a strong motion of his arm, slashing cleanly up their sides. Intestines and innards spewed all over the cave floors. He didn't stop, even as his weapon was drenched in blood.

Eclair watched on with confidence, bringing her sword down onto the top of one of the rats that moved to rush between the two spearmen.

[ Orson has reached Level 13 ]

[ Elena has reached Level 14 ]

[ Takehide has reached Level 13 ]

[ Eclair has reached Level 12 ]

"Forward!" Takehide commanded as they moved as a unit, striking rats as they came running towards them. Attempting to grab their vitals with their large incisors, but they were never given a chance.

"Zveit Maelstrom!" Rino cast the spell between them again, knocking back and killing a number of the rats. While some resisted there was very little they could do as her attack slowed them down simply from shock.

Fewer than a couple seconds later, Elena cast the spell again as they were recollecting themselves, "Zveit Maelstrom!" The last of the rats that were attacking, and even those who were eating their own kin, were lethally blown away at point-blank.

With the cave sown in dark crimson, Takehide moved forward to claim the loot from their corpses. Absorbing their monster souls as well as their materials. Rats were a good source of protein, though they were also a great source of disease and ailments.

[ Cave Rat Head Spear Unlocked ]

[ Cave Rat Head Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: Disease Resistance (Small) ]

[ Special Bonus: Rat Bite ]

[ Cave Rat Claw Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Cave Rat Claw Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: Foraging II ]

[ Special Bonus: Grasp ]

[ Cave Rat Tail Spear Unlocked! ]

[ Cave Rat Tail Spear ]

[ Equip Bonus: +5 Agility ]

The materials absorbed by the spear were then converted into energy used to unlock the equipment bonuses to be used independently of their forms. He already had the level requirements, allowing him to lightly also improve the spears with the sacrifice of some silver currency.

"This might have been all of them," Elena scratched her chin lightly, "Though they might have a nest somewhere. Since we're here, we might as well exterminate it."

Takehide nodded to Elena's words, "Of course."

As they continued forward through the cave, their eyes remained on the surrounding area. With the torch still in Elena's hand, she traded places with Eclair to expand their visual range.

It didn't take long until they reached the very end of the cave formation, allowing them to discover not only the nest of the rats but also the entrance to the dungeon.

Walking over to one of the nests, Takehide stared down at the crying dark grey rat pups. His eyes traced over all of them as they were shifting to one side of the nest. That is, all except for one rat pup that was standing on its hind legs and blindly gazing up at him, clacking its little incisors together curiously.

Reaching into the nest, Takehide grasped the scruff of its tiny neck and plucked it up from the nest. It screeched and thrashed about, not even capable of leaving a scratch on him due to its low level.

"What are you doing with that baby rat…?" Rino asked as she padded up beside him, watching as the rat had easily tired itself out.

Hearing the screams of other rats from another nest, Takehide took in the scent of burning fur and flesh. Slowly closing his eyes, his gaze passed over towards Elena who was burning nest after nest with her torch.

"I might raise it…" His gaze rested on the underbelly of the rat, noting its female sex. "It's about three or four weeks old… Incisors aren't fully grown though and she's still blind." Holding the pup in his palm, he caressed its soft glossy fur with his fingers. "Likely a runt of the litter."

"I… I'm not going to carry that…" Rino frowned as she stared at him with big eyes.

Takehide shrugged, "I can hold it whilst fighting the Chimera, no problem there." His eyes narrowed forward as he stared at the entrance of the dungeon. It was a singular massive archway made of sandstone. Inside it was the same, a pale yellow surface for the floor and a darker ochre yellow for the walls and ceiling.

Beside the archway was a stone pocket sticking out of the wall filled with dice made of bone. Walking over her reached in and grasped a single dice between his fingers. "Only grab one," Takehide instructed before stepping into the dungeon, approaching the marked starting tiles.

One after another his party acquired a single dice per person.

13