015 – Fountain before noon
395 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you being serious?” asked Creed.

“Why do you find it so hard to believe that?” Robert returned the question, “I’m not all-knowing.”

“All the more surprising. You would too if you know what Mr. Tann and Soraes have told me about you, the words they used.”

Robert stared. “But I don’t.”

Absorbing his gaze, Creed finally yield, “fair enough. Come to think of it, it does make sense if you don’t know her.” He cleared his throat. “Where do I even begin?”

“A title or a job would be good. How about a summary?”

“A summary, eh.” Creed pondered greatly. “She’s an omen, your omen. How’s that for a summary?”

“Yeah, skip the summary. Just give me everything.”

“As a starter, she is a Dragon Knight, the best of them all. You know what Dragon Knights are, right?”

Robert nodded. Unless one was born in an incredibly distant place, no one wouldn’t know about a Dragon Knight. They were one of those topics that was bound to appear in an everyday conversation. They were essentially Paladins, albeit with different spelling to their titles. Songs and tales came in droves apropos of the Dragon Knights. Unofficially dubbed as the strongest knights in the world and said to have the strength and vitality of ten men. A shot to a vital organ would not be enough to kill them. Some even believed these Knights were incarnations of Dragons. However, the truths were often mundane, Robert reminded himself. They were famous but they were mostly known as part of a single major collective. Their individual identities were concealed facts.

“Among the Dragon Knights themselves, there’s a bunch that was even more exceptional. The Wings of Aeryo, or Wings for short, they are called. There are ten of them and always ten, no more no less. The Wings have a ranking. All the way from one until ten, with ten being the weakest.”

“She’s the first?”

“The fourth, actually.”

Robert recoiled with surprise. “Then why all the commotion?”

“The rank is measured by the way of the individual’s Magic-level. Solely based on that, Azaela placed fourth.”

Robert braced for the twist.

“But if we’re talking in terms of contributions and exploits, she would be placed first.”

“If that’s the case, the ranking’s shit,” Robert gave a harsh reproof. “No offense to them,” he added.

“You don’t need to worry about that. The Wings are in agreement with you.”

Robert raised an eyebrow. He was well-aware it was becoming a habit.

“The ranking is just another one of things which existed for the sake of appearance and formality.”

“Interesting,” Robert muttered.

“Well, back to Azaela. As I have said, she has the most contributions and that in a way makes her placed first in on the ladder.”

Robert quaffed the bottle of juice as if it was liquor. Considering where the conversation was heading to, he definitely needed some. “What else?” he asked.

“She was born as the second daughter of a distant royalty. She has a good heart and head. Her talent bloom at thirteen and she volunteered herself into the Aeryeon Faith.”

“Admirable but why Aeryeon?” as Robert asked, the plump bird flew back to him. It once again perched right on his finger. It even chirped exuberantly while flapping its wings.

The warming sight hit Creed as well but he didn’t forgone his explanations. “It was the God her home nation worships. There’s that. She quickly rose in ranks and before anyone knew it, she became one of the Wings.”

“And her prowess?”

“She’s a Master at Magic. Aside from that, she’s also a master at spears and dual wielding, mainly sabers.”

Robert thought back to the saber he took from the deceased thug leader. The quality was good but it was snap in half during his fight against the horde of monsters alongside Seven.

“She has three Specialization Magic.”

Robert’s jaws dropped, in his mind. “Fucking three?” He recalled his fight with Baxton. There wasn’t even much of a fight. It was more of him running around until the circumstances forced him to retaliate. If he could choose, he would just let the drug do its job. “Oh right, I was being greedy for the shield back then.” It was a tough fight and he had only one Specialization Magic.

“Gravity, that’s her first Specialization Magic. She can shift her own center of gravity and of everything she touches but rest assured, shifting the gravity of others takes time. So shifting her opponent’s gravity is impractical. Something she barely uses in a direct fight.”

Even so, it was an impressive ability, Robert thought so. He could already think up a vast array of uses for that Magic.

“Secondly, there’s Armory.”

It was a forbidding-sounding name. Robert had a feeling it would be worse than it sounded.

“She can produce weapons just from her Magic.”

And Robert was right, it’s worse. “Every kind of weapons?”

“As for the limits or other conditions, we do not know. What we do know, is that she can only produced up to six weapons. And the only weapons we have seen her produced are swords and spears.”

“Nothing else?”

“If there is, we do not know.”

Robert stayed silent. He gestured for Creed to continue after a minute went by.

“As for her third Specialization Magic, we have no information of it at all.”

“Except for the fact that you knew she has a third unique ability?”

“Yes. Everything we knew about her abilities resulted from the slip of a certain Dragon Knight's loose tongue. Our theory is that her third Specialization Magic is something… glaring, yet, obscured.”

“Hiding a tree in the forest?”

Creed nodded. “Yes,” he admitted with reluctance.

These were suppose to be helping but Robert felt it was only discouraging. If he somehow clashed with Azaela, his chances of winning were abysmal, at best. “What about her weakness?”

“She’s a lady and she’s young, only twenty-two years of age. She still has her innocence, astonishingly. So, Scarlet Fever.”

“Tempting,” Robert replied dryly despite the implications.

He knew full well what Scarlet Fever was. A deadly philtre brewed with a flower known as Scarlet Lotus as the main ingredient. This philtre not only arouses one’s carnal desires to the peak but it also kills the victim if their desire wasn’t sated within a period of time. The potency was at its greatest if the victim of a ripe age and their innocence unsullied. In brief, Azaela was the perfect victim for Scarlet Fever.

“Not good?” Creed asked.

“If I get caught with that kind of poison on me, child or not, my head’s rolling, end of story.”

“You have a point.” It was something Creed suggested as a half-jest. Even he would be worried if Robert agreed with that method. It was simply risky and expensive. Scarlet Fever cost around three to four thousand Ris for a single vial.

“But it truly is tempting if I think about it.” Robert’s tone took a dark turn. “A nun and a warrior…. succumbing to temptations…. that is quite—”

“There is another path!” Creed cut in with a loud proposal, drawing the gaze of Robert and the bird.

“Another poison?”

Creed shook his head. “It’s a person. Her betrothed.”

At first, Robert was shock that an adherent of faith was marrying but then he remembered, she was a follower of Aeryo. The Aeryeon Faith had a much more ‘materialistic’ teaching. A religion that does not condone blind faith. Because of that, the Aeryeon Faith was often viewed as a philosophy than a religion. To Robert, it was simply a religion because the figurehead was a God.

“Her betrothed is Lucan Devetra,” revealed Creed. “I believed you know his younger sister. You two got quite intimate through Soraes.”

“Brother of the girl I just fucked yesterday without the knowledge of her esteemed family. Wow.” Robert rubbed his temples. “Threatening the crown jewel of Clan Devetra, that’s not going to end any differently than Scarlet Fever, maybe even worse. Considering who I had fucked.

“Then, you are out of options.”

“Great…”

“Be at ease, Ross. They do not know there’s a survivor, not sure and not yet at least. So to say, do not draw any attention to yourself and you’ll be fine.”

Robert nodded slowly. “Easier said than done.” The plump bird was pushing its beak into against his finger as if to comfort him.

“We have the uttermost faith in you,” smiled Creed.

Robert sighed. Tapping his feet and drumming his fingers, Robert plunged himself into deep thought. The plump bird mirrored his fingers drumming.

Seeing his visage, Creed broke into chuckles. “Your existence is kept hidden safe for your schoolmates and classmates but you’ll just be one more among the lot. So they are irrelevant. Iora Devetra is trustworthy, Soraes attested to that. Simply put, no one knows you exist.”

Robert looked away. The bird followed.

“You must be joking.” Creed perceived the subtext in a heartbeat. Gone was his lively smiles, a grave look took its place. “Who is it?”

“Seven, the Anima hired by Dusk.”

“And you let her go?” Creed asked sternly.

“I did,” Robert went with the truth, not that he had any other choice.

“Why?”

“We have the same goal and ambition. She’s strong, smart, and her Magic is handful. Most of all, she can keep a secret. She makes a fine ally.”

Creed stood up without warning, glaring down at Robert. “You do not get to decide. Robert Ross.”

The plump bird flew off once again at Creed’s beset.

This time, it was Robert’s turn to broke into a smile. “But I do.”

Creed neither refuted nor retorted. He waited for Robert’s explanation in his absolute confidence.

“I can use whatever means necessary, as long as nothing is brought to light. Those were Mr. Smith’s words. So you are wrong, Creed. I do get to decide.”

A breeze blew past the deadlock. Neither party said anything and neither of them faltered.

But eventually, Creed returned back into his smiles. “Not bad, Ross. Not bad at all.”

“You’re not bad yourself. You’re a Grandmaster, aren’t you?”

Creed smiled in self-derision. “I have not raised my fist for a long time, who knows?” Creed sat back down. “So, who is this girl you have so much trust in? Seven must be just a disguise.”

“Valena Devetra.”

Creed stared but he resumed back to his usual composure in no time. “Shadows… Anima… I should have known. Now that I have taken a good look, it’s very obvious. It’s quite the embarrassment that we didn’t manage to make the connection.”

“No one’s perfect, remember?”

“You really think she can be trusted?”

“She has more to lose than me if she talks. So yes, she can be trusted.”

“Very well. On behalf of Mr. Smith, I stand by your decision.”

Robert looked up to sky, not to contemplate but to search for the plump bird. It was circling above the fountain along with the flock. He waited for the bird to come back but it didn’t. It might had been too afraid of Creed.

“What?” Creed asked as he was given an undue stare.

“Nothing,” Robert responded plainly.

“Anyways, you are free of your duty for the time being.”

Robert stopped himself from raising an eyebrow.

Sensing his confusion, Creed explained, “you have brought about a major upheaval. Everyone’s being exceedingly wary, especially on the anomaly sites. If you went to these places now, you’ll definitely be caught. Until the turmoil subsides, you’re on lull. So you have no reason to go looking for trouble.”

Hearing that, Robert could only laugh— at his luck. He did not believe the recess would be smooth sailing. “I have already caused troubles. And then, there’s Azaela. It’s just a matter time before it all comes right back to me,” saying so, Robert downed the bottle of juice in his hand, which he almost completely forgot about it.

“Precisely why that I’ll be your classmate.”

Robert spat back out everything he drank— except that no such thing happened.

“You’re not surprised?” Creed tilted his head.

“Mr. Smith has so many at his disposal. I refused to believe that you’re chosen to accommodate me without a proper reason.”

“Oh? That’s quite a leap.”

“Hardly. Mr. Tann was there to show his sincerity. Lily was there to appeal my nature and to gauge my character. Mrs. Yu is my veil and a solace. And where does that leave you? Your appearance is a huge hint. How’s that for a leap?”

Creed sighed in amazement. “Your face and your true demeanor is very confounding. That’s a very prominent edge to have, if you’re going deeper into the underworld. It really makes me wonder, what kind of life did you lived as a child.”

Robert remained silent. In his reminiscence, he tilted his gaze down as it was weigh down by all his memories. “Quite a life, that’s all I can say.”

Creed wanted to know more but the words of his employer etched in his mind remained vivid. His history is of no concern but if you pry, do it all your own risk. It was more of a severe warning and less of an advise but it only made Creed all the more curious.

“Anyone I should be cautious of in the academy?” asked Robert.

“Pretty much anyone from Clan Talron or Devetra. These two are the most inquisitive, one’s out of greed and desire, and the other one’s out of obligation. You know what to do, I trust.”

“Will do best,” Robert replied briefly.

“You have a week ahead of you, Ross, or maybe more. Plenty of time for you to acquaint yourself with the city in its whole, get to know how everything works and such.”

“I intend to,” Robert assured, “while I still can.”

Creed shook his head and smiled. “Even if Azaela really comes looking for you, it will only be so after a great trial. Have some faith. Soraes is excellent in diplomacy.”

Lily’s veneer of composure and her ample bosom came to Robert’s mind. “I’m sure she is but how much of that would work against a woman of faith.”

“Who knows? Maybe it would work just as much.” Creed had a look that he had just recalled something. “There is someone else…”

“Someone else? You mean Azaela’s weakness.”

Creed nodded. “A barmaid in this city, a widow Azaela used to be sweet on. The woman’s late husband built up quite a debt from gambling and Azaela shouldered the tally. They were close but everything ended when Azaela was reassigned.”

Since Azaela still has her innocence, their love was probably platonic, Robert concluded. Without prior knowledge, he would have taken it the wrong way. “No children?” he asked.

“One. A Stillborn.”

“Oh…” Robert muttered solemnly. “Where is this barmaid now?”

“In the same place she has always been, The Ivory Tavern. It’s a few streets north away from Akaeles Avenue. You can’t miss it at night with how lively it can be. I hear they serve some fine mead of their own brew.”

Robert’s fervour showed itself as a grin. “Mead, huh. I’m book for the night then. Care to join?”

“I’m refraining from liquors for the time being. Plus, there’s still much to do.”

“And I thought I was busy,” Robert mumbled.

“Well then, that’s everything.” Creed got up from the fountain edge, patting himself off the dust. “I guess I’ll see you on Sarun.”

The first day of the week, Sarun. It had been awhile since Robert last heard it from someone’s mouth. His hometown was small and the literacy rate was low. There were even many of them who couldn’t count to ten, much less remember each day of the week.

“And here.” Creed tossed a pouch which Robert received with an open palm.

Robert weighed the pouch in his hands. He could instantly tell the amount. “Five hundred Ris?”

“Like it or not, you work for Mr. Smith, undeniably. So, that’s your pay.”

“Understandable but this is five hundred Ris. This is a lot for two days work and if we’re being specific, I haven’t even worked for a day.”

“So let it be an indication of your worth to us. Maybe because you’re new to the city, you don’t see how much you have done, for better or worse. Before your arrival, there were only questions and they kept piling up. No one have answers. No one have a solution. Everyone could only sit aside and let the questions piled up. And then, you came. And you gave us answers, not even within a day, as you put it. Contemplate on that, Ross.”

Robert shrugged. “I didn’t gave all the answers and what the fuck am I going to do with five hundred Ris. This is just tempting me to be extravagant.”

“We hope you can keep it up and maybe go even further. Don’t let us down now, Ross.” Creed tipped. “Good day,” he said and left. Within moments, Robert had lost track of him in the crowd.

Robert could no longer feel Creed’s presence, even with his hyper-cognition which leads to the only possible explanation. “Teleporter?” 

As soon as Creed left, the plump bird came back. Robert formed a cup with his hands and the bird flew into it. The way the bird bent itself to scratch an itch was purely adorable, adding on to the fact that it was too plump to reach, made it even more enchanting.

Robert groaned with delight at the wholesome sight. He could finally have some rest and fun. He enjoyed the thrills but he was never one to pass up rest and pleasure. First, he would relish himself with the company of a feathery plump bird. He just couldn’t stop caressing its feathers.

However, Robert long knew the respite would be brief.

“Now now, if you keep that up, it might just follow you home,” said an icy voice tinged with sweetness and menace.

The bird looked to the voice, chirped with surprise and flew off yet again.

“Someone already did,” Robert retorted without any trace of amusement. He turned to his side to see a shadow-morph cat with twin tails. “Why are you here?”

“Oh dear, you do not sound excited to see me. I am terribly hurt.” Seven put on a sorrowful tone.

“Just answer the question.”

“I came to say, thank you.”

Robert raised an eyebrow. “What for?”

“For letting my mistress go, and me.”

“You could have said that before you ditched me last night.”

“I think someone is bitter. Well, in all seriousness, I could not be certain of your mercy until now.”

Robert leered at the mouth piece of Seven and pointed at a certain direction “It’s that why you stood seven stalls away behind a pottery booth, and stared at me for hours?”

Seven widened those endearing cat eyes of hers. “You knew?”

“I even know what you had for breakfast.”

“You do?”

“No.”

“Oh, you bastard,” crude words made elegant when it came in Seven’s voice. “But you are mistaken of one thing.”

Robert raised both of his brows. He peered at the spot where Seven was standing seven stalls away and hiding behind a pottery booth. The view was vague but Robert saw how she was fidgeting and peeking out but only to quickly hid back behind the booth. She had a bearing that resembled more of the Valena he knew in the academy.

“That’s your mistress, not you.”

“Correct, correct.” Seven nodded slowly. “She wishes to speak with you.”

“Was she aware of everything when you took over her body?”

“That is quite convoluted to explain.”

“If you think that suffice as an explanation, it doesn’t.”

“It will be a long story.”

Robert glanced at the pocket watch he casually took out.

“Ah?” Seven made a noise but Robert pay no heed to it.

“There’s still an hour away from lunch but I can go with an early lunch. How about you tell me everything over lunch?”

“Fine with me. As a matter of fact, I know just the place.”

“Good. I don’t think you’re sated with just almond milk and honey anyway.”

Seven paused as she looked at him with a dumbfounded gaze. “I thought you said you didn’t know.”

“I lied but in a way, I didn’t.”

“Fucking weasel,” she was licking her paws when she said that.

To that, Robert could only chuckle.

12