019 – The Ivory Tavern
371 5 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ilynn Rumond watched wistfully over the astir crowd of customers who were getting too drunk for their own good and her spirited employees who were all girls in their prime, bearing alluring figures that left countless men driveled. The way they sway their rear past the customers was every bit as intentional as their choice of wardrobe, off-shoulders blouses paired with deep-slit long skirts. This particular pattern of employment wasn’t something left up to fate, it was a deliberate choice.

No, it could be said that Ilynn didn’t have a choice other than to make it as such.

The men were as rowdy as ever, like most nights. Every likelihood of a violent occurrence were quell by the luscious manners of the barmaids. Occasionally, they made shrills sounds at the barmaids who tempted their desires and members. There were those who were more daring to land a smack at the passing barmaids’ bottom. The reactions varied from that vulgar act, ranging from retaliating smacks to squeals along with suggestive glances.

These young barmaids were the reason the tavern carried on till this day.

But it wasn’t as if Ilynn took pleasure in this or she didn’t have any sympathies for these girls. If anything, she had empathy for them. After all, she was once in a similar position.

As she gazed on at her customers going about their usual antics and routines, her gaze stumbled upon one such customer that stood out from the rest. There were seats available in the form of stools at the bar countertop itself but people who chose these seats were little to none. There were many reasons for that. Limited table spaces, uncomfortable seats, too distant from the fire, inadequate light, but the most apparent one of them all was that they couldn’t interact with the barmaids as much as they could at the benches.

However, there was one such person. It was a boy who was still years before his coming-of-age.

Among all of her customers, the boy had the lowest number in his years but to Ilynn, he had the visage of a man older than anyone here present. To others, he looked no different than a brat but Ilynn had seen and been with her fair share of customers, young or old, male or female. She knew the boy wasn’t what his appearance may had suggest.

The boy had decline many of the barmaids’ advances even when they lower the price of their service. He didn’t seem interested in the offers of their bountiful chest and handful rears they tried so hard to appeal. After awhile, all interest in the boy was lost and he was left to his own device. 

Now, he was relishing in delight with a mug of mead and a piece of medium-cooked steak. Ilynn couldn’t remember the last time someone came into her tavern just for the meals. It had been many years.

The boy finally took notice of Ilynn’s peering gaze as he looked up from his food and returned her gaze. “Yes?” the boy asked.

Ilynn smiled wryly. “Nothing,” she said. “It’s just that you are so different from them. You’re an odd fellow.”

The boy glanced over at the benches where all the customers gathered. “They are certainly enjoying themselves but not of the food and mead.”

“No one comes here for the food or mead, not anymore.”

“Why not?” The boy took a big swig of his mead. He let out a huge sigh of rapture.

“Time’s changed, to put it simply.”

“Actually, I was unaware that this tavern comes with those— complementary services.”

“It’s the other way around, young master. The mead and the food are the complementary services.”

The boy raised an eyebrow. Despite his rigid expression, his face moved only enough to discern his current emotions. Ilynn found this little bit of fact a joy to gape at.

“There was a time when things were the opposite of what it is now.”

“That’s— kind of a shame, really. The mead is good. I feel sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s just how things are and how things will be. Not everyone deserves a happy ending nor could they afford one.”

“I guess not,” the boy said dryly and returned to his meal.

Just then, a batch of fresh customers entered the tavern.

Among them, there was a man who bore traces of his battle evidently on his face. The gold in his hair had fade with his old age but no such thing happened to his gait and posture. The old man was dress in plain tunic and trousers giving him the impression of a common man but the callus on his hands and the scars told Ilynn a different story. He was a soldier, she understood.

“What can I get you?” Ilynn asked as soon as the aged soldier took a seat by the counter.

“I’ll have a mug of your finest beer. Just a beer is enough.” Even his voice was coarse and rough, much like his hands and face.

Ilynn did not miss the minute reaction from the boy. He understood as much as she herself did in the brief short words of the aged soldier. “Coming right up,” she said and went to prepare his order.

The soldier gazed around the tavern. It wasn’t a simple gloss over of familiarizing himself with the interior as his gaze did not leave out the nook and cranny.

“Here you go, a mug of beer of our finest brew.”

The aged soldier said his thanks and slid over a silver coin. He took a big sip of his beer but no bigger than a swig.

“So, what brings you here?” Ilynn asked as she pocketed the coin.

“Would a mug of beer not suffice as a reason?”

Ilynn smiled. “This is one of those place where you don’t just stumble into because you want a beer. There are at least two bars before this old debauch tavern which serves better beer. You stumbled here because you’re looking for someone to warm your bed or you’re drunk. You are neither, Mister Dragon Knight.” Her eyes went over to the boy, and she added, “Or you’re here for the food but obviously— you’re not.”

The soldier stared with agape eyes.

The boy wriggled slightly away.

Still keeping her cordial smile, Ilynn said, “I had a Dragon Knight as a customer once. She was quite sweet and gracious in spite of her imposing appearance. Your aura greatly resembled hers. I’m sure you know who I’m talking about.”

“I see. Apologies then,” the soldier said. “You are correct in all regard, Missus Rumond. My name is Gerald and I’m here looking for a member of my family. He was known to have frequented this tavern but that was a long time ago.”

“You might want to try the crowd over there if you’re looking for someone.”

“He is no such person. He tends to be secluded from crowds.”

Ilynn looked towards the boy who was wolfing down his steak, and pointed at him with her thumb.

Gerald shook his head. “He has blond hair like mine— well, not like mine but with more… color.”

Ilynn pondered for a few seconds before responding, “there’s no such person in the recent years, not that I know of. Even if there is, I wouldn’t have known. My position back in those years kept me occupied for most times.”

“Are you sure? He’s a Magic-user, at least a Master-level. His character is… peculiar. I imagined he would stood out quite a lot.”

The boy slowed his chewing and knife.

“Sorry, I don’t think I remember anyone like that. If they can use Magic, they certainly would not be here. Not by choice, at least.”

“He’s a Teleporter.”

The boy choked on his mead but his quick recovery made his blunder subtle to the soldier but not Ilynn.

“I am sorry, kind sir. I cannot help you.” Ilynn put on a very convincing regrettable tone.

Gerald sighed. “It was a worth a shot.” Just as he got up to leave, a barmaid approached him but he rejected her with a simple, “no thanks,” without even sparing the girl a glance.

“You could at least finish your beer,” the boy called out.

“We adults have much less time for leisure. Take heed in that, boy. Good evening,” he bade and walked out of the door without any stall in his steps.

The boy looked at the unfinished mug of beer which was practically still full to the brim.

Ilynn pushed the mug towards the boy. “You can have it, if you don’t mind, I certainly don’t.”

The boy put his nose over the mug and took a few whiff. He jerked back. “Whoa, that’s strong.”

“Our beer lacks taste and couldn’t compete with our mead, so we have to compensate with its strength.”

The boy shrugged and down the beer until it was half empty. He slammed the mug down and let out a mix of groan and sigh. He coughed a few times.

Ilynn stared. “You sure can drink.”

“Unfortunately, for my pocket, that is.”

“You know who he’s looking for, don’t you?” She struck the boy with an unexpected question.

“I do.” But the boy answered without delay.

“Why didn’t you tell him?”

“I’m not exactly close to the person he was looking for. It’s just doesn’t feel right to stick my nose when we’re not even friends,” the boy said and empty the mug of beer. “Fuck me, this is bloody awful.”

“The brewer is right in front of you.”

“Well, your mead is just heaven.”

“Of course it is.”

The boy went back to his mead and steak.

“What’s your name?”

“Robert,” the boy answered briskly.

“Well Robert, I thank you for the praise and your honest thoughts.”

“You’re welcome, Miss Rumond.”

“Please, call me Ilynn.”

“Alright then, Ilynn.” After another big swig of the mead, he looked at her intriguingly. “I’m curious, though.”

“Of what?”

“This tavern. I heard good things about it from a literally old acquaintance. From his words, I could never guess it was such a place. Your food and beverage would not lose to the other diners and taverns.”

“You want to know why it turned into a whorehouse even though there’s good mead and delicious steak?”

Robert nodded.

Ilynn took the empty beer mug and toss it into the filled sink. After a simple rinse, she wiped the edges and the insides with a dry cloth she took from somewhere on the counter. “An adventure of mishaps and tragedies. Not much else to say,” she said without pausing her hands.

“It didn’t end up on the red light district. So that’s something.”

“It might as well had. At this point, the colors of the lights shone outside the street is of no significance. I dare say it might have been better if it’s red. Maybe it will rake in more profit, then.”

Robert followed Ilynn’s compassionate gaze which itself was following the movements of the barmaids.

“You’d been in their position.”

“Longer than they have.” After finished wiping the mug, Ilynn filled it with mead and served it to Robert.

“On the house?”

“You wish but I can give a discount, if you order another mug.” She smiled with full credence at Robert.

“Well—” Robert downed his original mug of mead in one gulp, “keep it coming.”

“I’ll say this beforehand, whoever is it you’re trying to impress, it’s not worth your liver or your Ris.”

“I just love the mead here but I’m glad you’re impressed.”

She tittered. “How presumptuous.”

Robert had his unique constitution. It was impossible for him to get drunk no matter how much he drank but it didn’t mean he could keep drinking. His Ris wasn’t boundless even if he had much to spend.

“So what really happened?” asked Robert.

Ilynn huffed. “You’re not letting this go, are you?”

“You have good food and good mead. And the two bars before this tavern are quite recent. This tavern has been on a decline long before those two tavern came by. With just my own guesses and assumptions, I failed to find any reason for your tavern to decline.” Robert shoved a stack of coin to Ilynn. “You can treat this as a service in return for my generous tip.”

With a grieving expression, Ilynn accepted the plenteous tip. “Very well,” she said and went around the counter. She took a seat just beside Robert’s and faced him directly.

Now that Ilynn wasn’t behind the countertop, Robert could finally appreciate her frame which in his opinion, had age well. Of course, she was taller than Robert but that was only natural given their age difference.

She had the same wardrobe as the other barmaids but her shoulders were covered. Instead, Robert was offer the bare view of the valley of her voluptuous chest. The corset she wore over her blouse only accentuated her curvaceous figure and deepened her valley. She was plump with her age but it did not diminish the slightest bit of her appeal, or at least that was Robert’s personal verdict.

“Like what you see?” she asked enticingly.

“Loving it,” Robert answered with a straight face. “But I still want to hear your story.”

She threw forlorn glances at him. “You making me reliving a lot of pain with this.”

Robert studied the interior of the tavern. He saw the traces of the building’s old age and nothing was cover. Every repairs were done in a way that it won’t alter the original design and structure. It was like someone did not wish for the tavern to be changed by the flow of time. “I’m sorry but I truly wish to know the history of this tavern and you. This tavern is old and cracks of its age were repeatedly patch up. This piece of land can sell for quite a lot given its position but you kept it. It must have meant a lot to you.”

“I can never sell it,” Ilynn said and took a deep breath. “As you might have already guessed, I’m a widow.”

“Clearly,” Robert gestured at the mark on her ring finger.

“This tavern— this is our dream since our childhood, my late husband and I. We bought this building and land together a month after our union. We bought it by selling an ivory trinket my late husband won from a bet. That’s how the tavern’s name came by.”

By this point, Robert had finish his steak. Like Ilynn, he too turned in his seat to face her directly with a mug in his hand.

“We were happy. We even had a boy on the way.” Her voice began to tremble and her gaze sank to the floor. “We doing fine on our own but the delivery of our child— we didn’t have enough for a doctor, let alone an alchemist. We had no other choice.”

Robert remained silent. He devoted his all to her story.

“Midas Valley was— expensive and the people weren’t so genial. No one helped us but a regular of ours, an elderly blacksmith but he couldn’t do much either, he wasn’t a doctor. And our baby boy… he didn’t make it…” Ilynn caressed her belly as she recollected.

“What’s his name?” asked Robert.

“The blacksmith?”

“Your son.”

Ilynn stared for a while before answering, “Billy. His name was Billy.”

“Billy,” Robert repeated the name in a voice that was softer than a whisper. His eyes closed, his lips moved but his voice reached not even his own ears. After a few seconds, he reopened his eyes.

“Was that a prayer?” Ilynn asked, tears rolling down her cheeks before she even realized it herself.

“Kind of,” Robert answered with a shrug. He was receiving a lot of abstruse belligerent stares from the barmaids but he shrugged it off all the same. “I reckon your late husband did not take it too well.”

Ilynn nodded. “He buried himself in gambling and liquor to drown out the sorrows from the loss of our child. It didn’t take long for him to bury himself in debts too.”

“Money from the wrong people?”

“Actually, it was more of the right people but my husband was… self-destructive. He egged on the worst people he could have egged on. They didn’t want him to dead. They just wanted their money back. They even avoided hurting him too much but my husband… he attacked his creditors out of a drunken rage and sorrow. They killed him in self-defense but he piled the debt even higher with that fucking foolish act of his.”

More than just her voice, every part of her body was trembling. Robert offered her his mead1Not gonna lie, I sniggered like a child when I wrote this line. but she declined with a smile as amicable as she could.

“To pay all the debt back, the business of the tavern wasn’t cutting it. Under the creditor’s advise and guidance, the tavern adopted a lucrative practice, as you can see now. It didn’t take long for news to travel. Eventually, we lost all our female customers and only men who were lonely at night came. I was just like the girls. I was introduced to a whole new world. I was quite well-received but I fell out of preferences as the years passed. I was good but I wasn’t good enough for them to spend money on keeping my youth with Magic.”

“You didn’t sold the tavern to cover the debt.”

“I will never. I hated my husband who left me more torment than when he was alive but… we were happy here, for a time. And it was during these happy times, I was pregnant with Billy. This tavern is the only thing I have left of them.”

And her story concluded. Neither one of them said anything. One of the barmaids approached Ilynn but she assured the girls of her well-being.

“You’re loved,” said Robert.

“I do my best to make sure they suffer less than I had. They’re just mistaking the obligation of an employer as compassion.”

“I beg to differ. They are not mistaken, you are. You don’t look at employees with those eyes. They may not be your family but I don’t believe you them any less so.”

“Have anyone told you that you’re really audacious?”

“I’m sure they had but they used a synonym.”

Ilynn chuckled.

Robert replied with a tender smile. “You don’t seem like someone who’s in debt, if you don’t mind me saying.”

“That’s because I no longer am. But for the tavern— once you lose the public’s good opinion, you don’t get it back. This is the only way the place can stay afloat.”

When the heavy cloud of air dispersed, Robert finally took a swig of his mead. “This line of business pays well. I don’t think they will let you clear the debt.”

“Not if you paid it all at once.”

“Some magnanimous man took fancy to you and paid off your debt, I presumed.”

“Girl, as a matter of fact.”

“The Dragon Knight.”

Ilynn nodded. Her face warmed up as she reminisced of her time with the girl. “It was brief. It was just two years but we got closer than friends could be. Although, we never went further than being extremely intimate. She was already someone’s intended.”

Robert finished his mead and looked Ilynn in her eyes. “Are you alright now?”

Ilynn stared blankly at the boy once again.

“Why is everyone staring at me like that?” Robert thought as he waved her out of her stupor.

Ilynn shuddered as she snapped out of her daze. “I’m sorry. It’s just that… I have told many people about my tale when they said they want to know more about me… Some of them even paid me more than you did.”

“But?”

“But they all just said the same thing in the end, each one of them. “Sorry to hear that,” they said. Right after, they tried to get me into their bed to warm them through the night. What mattered to them wasn’t my story but their manhood.”

Robert raised an eyebrow. “Did you—”

“Sometimes,” Ilynn answered and leaned forward. “You know, you’re the second one who asked me if I was alright and the name of my son.”

“I’m guessing the Dragon girl was the first,” said Robert.

She nodded as her hands crawled to his lap. “But you are the first man to ask me those. The other men, they don’t cared to know.”

“You’re flattering me. I’m just asking what I wished to be asked if I was in your shoes. You have been through a lot, after all.”

One of her hands moved up to his navel and slowly climbing to his chest, her fingers flicking playfully at his shirt’s buttons.

“And I’m no man, not yet at least.”

“I beg your pardon, young master. You are and I don’t mean down there.”

Robert said nothing but his quickening breath was enough as a response.

“I don’t how many you have fooled but you can’t fool me, young master.” She closed in on his ears and whispered, “your sympathy and empathy, your understanding, it cannot possibly come from a boy who hasn’t even grew his hair. I don’t know why you hide it but I just want you to know, I know and I understand. You have been through a lot too, much more than me.”

Her neck and shoulder were bare in his face. Her sweat did not help lessen the temptation which Robert gave in. He took in her womanly scent which was accent by the mood.

And Ilynn pulled away gently from Robert. “For your patience and compassion, you’re welcome to have one of the girls on the house.”

Robert blinked. “You’re not available?”

“Young master, surely you would prefer those young and zestful girls than an old lady like me, no?”

Robert offered a brief glance at the barmaids who were decades younger than than Ilynn but they only incurred a small curl of his lips from him. “With Magic around, age isn’t much of a factor.”

“I was defiled more times than all those girls combined. I have been exposed to perversions that even the most inflamed would find unsightly. The men only come to me because they couldn’t afford the young girls.”

“You accepted these men. Just treat me as one of them.”

“But the girls... they are so much better than me... I’m sure they can give you a better time.”

“And I can give you a time just as good as they can give me.”

“You sly dog…” she muttered, with a cry and a laughter. “You planned this from the start. You really are just like them.”

“I won’t deny I have the same motive as everyone else who came through this door.”

“You know my history and my story.”

It was Robert’s turn to lean in. “I don’t care, Ilynn. I want you.”

“If you really insist.” Ilynn stood up. “You will have to wait, then. Adults have less time for leisure, remember?”

“I can wait.” Robert pushed a coin into her hand. “I’ll have more mead in the meantime.”

“Coming right up,” Ilynn bowed and returned behind the counter.

 

“Ugh!”

A familiar groan of disgust came from his back. Robert turned to find Samara in ragged clothes but it covered everything that a clothing should. She had a broom in one hand and a dust pan in the other. She even had a different kerchief wrapped around her head than this morning.

“What a coincidence,” Robert greeted.

“You are following me.”

“I won’t bother convincing you since you have already treat all your own assumptions as facts.”

“Why else would you be here?”

“The mead is great here and there’s an excellent woman. Why wouldn’t I be here?”

Samara made a grimace heavier than before, but she sighed and returned to her sweeping. “Just don’t make a mess. Cleaning the sheets used by lustful men are the worst.”

“I wouldn’t know but you know that the best.”

Samara cursed on but Robert had turn away from her. He enjoyed himself with the view of Ilynn working her hardest and best with a mug of mead. Occasionally, they would exchange sultry glances and smiles.

“You men really are the all same.”

“You’re welcome to join.”

“Will. Never. Happened.”2*ahem ahem*

Robert chuckled to himself. “Just so you know, my offer still stands. The garden, during recess.”

“Go fuck yourself,” Samara flipped him off as she disappeared into the back with a brimming dust pan.

“Not tonight,” Robert muttered to himself, taking another swig of The Ivory Tavern’s finest mead.

 

The next chapter will be full-on smut. Rejoice, I guess?

12