004 – Lily in a garden
678 10 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I was beginning to think I have been stood up,”said Lilian Soraes, who was sitting on a stone bench paralleling to another with a stone table in between.

“You were the one who invited me out of nowhere,” Robert complained in his heart. “And what happened to the prim Professor Soraes from before?”

Unlike a few moments ago when Robert last saw her, she had taken off her glasses. In her hand, held a long and exquisite-looking pipe. She sat with her legs crossed, her body slouched forward, and her coat was loosed around her shoulders, showing her shoulders through her sleeveless shirt. She was giving quite the opposite impression of a prestigious academy professor.

Yet, out of all those, the one thing that robbed Robert’s attention was the unfamiliar concoction of leaves she was using for her pipe. There was something different about this concoction to the ones that he knew of.

“Professor Soraes?”

“Please, call me Lilian,” she then giggled. “If you’re feeling affectionate, you may call me Lily.”

“Okay then, Lily.”

“Oh my, how bold.”

Robert stared.

Seeing the blank-staring Robert, Lilian Soraes snapped him out of it by gesturing him to the other bench. “Please, have a seat.”

Robert obliged and slumped into the offered bench. Despite the solid surface, it felt quite comfortable. He was sitting in a manner unbecoming in front of a professor but neither of them were bothered.

The garden wasn’t larger than the field but since it was still half the latter’s size, it could still be considered vast. In this place, Magic essences were dense and abundance. Due to this fact, the garden also functioned as a spot where people came and replenished their exhausted Magic pool. Robert felt it was quite soothing and taking a nap here wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Despite the size, there wasn’t a lot of students or staffs around. Robert guessed that it maybe because it was still the afternoon and classes were still in session. Only the new students were let go early. Even so, none of the new students were here.

“I guessed they are still too young to appreciate things like this.”

The pathways leading to this garden were splendidly paved without disturbing the nesting places of flowers.

“Whoever built the paths must have gave a lot of consideration and cares to the plants,” Robert thought.

Flowers of all kind bloomed into their whole glory and magnificence. Even the trees were living way past their golden age. The formation of this palace of floral seemed too natural to have been artificial.

Robert had done some research on his own prior his arrival at Midas Valley. He found out the academy was built around the garden. It was never actually proven but it was a belief so popular that many treated it as a fact.

“Enjoying the flowers?” Lilian Soraes coquettishly said. “Or are you simply basking in this opportunity of a secret meeting with a beautiful lady?”

Despite her suggestive words and gazes, Robert was not disconcerted.

“I know you are different, Robert. You’re not like the other students,” Lilia Soraes licked her lips. “I have been watching you.”

“Sure you have. I doubt Mr. Smith is the type to let his investment prance around unchecked.”

Lilian Soraes— Lily, widened her eyes but her composure was quickly reclaimed. “Oh my, how embarrassing. You knew. Mr. Tann was right. You’re really sharp.”

“Hmm…”

“Are you really a fifteen year old?”

“I should start charging whoever asked me that question.”

“Oh my, how brusque. Just a harmless question.”

“Sure.”

Lily’s eyes darted around Robert’s body as she rested her chin on her palm. She would tittered once in a while as if she had witnessed something amusing. “Why a student?” came a surprisingly normal question.

“Pardon?”

“Why did you picked a student as a cover? Why not an actual Hunter? They don’t have as much shackles as students. You’re free to linger around wherever and whenever,” asked Lily as she took a puff from her pipe. The smoke were tinged with myriad of colors. “If the age restriction is what you’re worried about, I’m sure Mr. Smith can do something about that. What’s more, you don’t carry yourself like a fifteen year old. Your appearance may suggest your actual age but nothing can’t be explained with Magic.”

Robert smirked. “I thought people working under Mr. Smith are suppose to be brighter than that.”

Lily’s smile disappeared as her chin left her palm. “Oh?”

“Hunters are there to hunt. Investigation and mystery-solving are not part of the job description.”

“You know, they do get employed for other stuffs, such as bodyguards, escorts, mercenaries…”

“Yes, I know but investigation was never one of them. You send spies for that.”

Lily raised an eyebrow.

“Further more, a student is just a child— a kid to others’ eyes. If I’m caught, which is unlikely, but if I’m caught in places I’m not suppose to be, people can chalked it up to youth-curiosity or student loitering.”

Lily was quiet as she let Robert continued.

“Sure, a Hunter would yield swifter results but I’m sure you’re aware that Mr. Smith values discretion above all else. Does that suffice as a reason?”

Lily reluctantly nodded. “It does. But heavens, how cheeky.”

“Anyways, shoving all those aside, I’m sure you didn’t ask to meet just so you can criticize me.”

”I am really underestimating you, boy— sorry, Robert,” Lily chuckled. “There has been recent developments.”

“How recent?”

“There are two reports. The first one was an hour old when we got our hands on the information. The second one was about two days old.”

“Alright then, hit me,” Robert positioned himself up right in his seat and Lily did the same.

“This is the first report. A few weeks ago, groups of Hunters went missing.”

A Hunter is a dangerous occupation. It wasn’t rare for them to go missing all the time and turned up or found dead few weeks later. This was why Robert prepared himself for the context to come.

“One of the missing Hunters came back. But he didn’t come back whole.”

“Going by your tone, I’m guessing you meant it physically and mentally?”

“Yes. The guards and some passing Hunters caught him limping through the Dark Zone’s entrance, without an arm. They approached him but he cut them all down without any warning or proper reasoning, all the while screaming like a madman.”

“Cut them down? With what and how?”

“With his other arm. It had apparently transformed into a blade itself. His body was covered with black veins. His eyes were bloodshot. There are more than twenty eye-witnesses including a few Hunter Association’s officials.”

After a brief moment of deep thought, Robert asked, “what happened then?”

“The Hunters were forced to take him down. There were ten casualties. It took the combined effort of three Elite to finally did the job. The strangest thing then happened, his body turned into a dried-up husk, like something drained him of all the water and Magic in his body. The Association has let their own Alchemists checked the corpse. And the results were—”

“— the hysteric Hunter had burned up all his life force and Magic in one go in exchange for a brief massive boost in power.”

Lily glared, confounded by Robert’s knowledge. “Yes, that is right but I have to ask… how did you know?” her eyes darkened.

“I just do. And trust me when I say this, I know more than you think,” Robert grinned. “That’s all for the first report?”

“Y-yes… Do note, this happened an hour ago. I believed the other interested parties have already made their move.”

“They had more than a single month head start. And from what I read in the dossier Mr. Tann gave, they didn’t make much progress. So unless a miracle happened, I doubt there will be any progress on their part in a day, let alone hours. But never mind that, what’s the next report?”

Lily did her best to pacify her mind as she took another puff from her pipe. Robert was simply too much for her. “How much do you know about Uraz?”

“You mean the continent people believed to be the native lands of the Demons?”

“Yes, that one,” Lily’s eyes narrowed. “Enlightened me, how much do you know?”

Robert paid no heed to her gaze and spoke, “I know Uraz was also known as Mordreo’s Grave. The God of Darkness who brought calamity to this world. He was slain by the Dragon Aeryo after a great battle. Uraz was where Mordreo met his demise, which gave rise to the aforementioned name. The native beings there were twisted by the miasma released from the God’s corpse, and thus, they became what we all now known as Demons. For the dramatic ones, they were called, Mordreo’s Kin.”

“That’s all?” Lily cast a doubtful glance at Robert.

“Well, there is an alternative take to the story, albeit being less acknowledged by the masses.”

“I’m all ears.”

“It’s overall the same but the main difference was that there was no continent to begin with. In this take, after Mordreo was slain by Aeryo, Mordreo’s corpse became the continent Uraz itself. And the Demons were spawns from bits of its corpse.”

“Which one do you think is the truth?”

“Does it matter? If it does, I wouldn’t mind giving a speech.”

Lily chuckled, “one of these days, your tongue is going to get you killed.”

“Your concern is acknowledged.”

Lily shook her head in resignation. “Anyways, I presumed you already know the state of Uraz?”

Robert nodded, “I do.” He knew the implications behind that confirmation. Uraz was pretty much lawless wastelands, ruled by scattered clans and tribes— from he had read in books.

“They have a leader now.”

Now, it was Robert’s turn to widened his eyes.

“A supreme one. The Demons called her the Sovereign.”

“And what do we know about this… Sovereign?”

“Not much. Just that she was successful in unifying all the clans and tribes under her rule. Demons worship the strong and the fact she achieved such results, says a lot about her strength. She could be at a Grandmaster level.”

When it came to Magic level, there were the average, Elite, Master, and Grandmaster. Thirty percent of the Magic-users in the whole world were Elites. Ten percent of them were Masters. And only around one percent were Grandmasters. There was no level higher than Grandmaster, even if there was, no one has yet to encounter it.

However, this statistic did not include the Demons into the numbers. So, who could safely said that the Demons had the same ratios.

Lily took a puff from her pipe but she held it in quite a while before releasing the colorful breath. “Demons have always been known to be stronger than the humans. They were never a threat only because they were disorganized and always in disarray. But now, they have a queen.”

“I’m guessing I’m told of this is because they might add to the long list of interested parties?”

Lily nodded.

“Well, interested party or not, my hunt starts tonight. Maybe a miracle is happening.”

“Do you require assistance in your hunt? Or even a familiar?”

“Appreciate the gesture but no, I work better alone.”

Lily sighed and showed a complacent smile. “And before you leave,” she slid a key to Robert, “here.”

He looked at the key, “I guess I’m not staying at the student dormitories?”

“Too many complications. You’ll be sharing the room and getting a private room would arouse suspicions. What’s more, the night patrols may be loose but if you’re intending to sneak out on a nightly basis, it won’t be feasible.”

“So where am I staying?”

“A small and old bookstore, run by an elderly widow. Of course, that’s only the cover. That place is essentially a hideout cum safe house. It’s located at the western edge of The Central. It’s practically in the middle of Midas Valley.”

“Strategic, huh…”

“Just make sure you won’t be late for class.”

“I’ll try my best.”

“Now, would that be all, Robert?”

“That will be all,” he said. As he got up and was about to turn to leave, he stopped in his tracks. His face lit up like a bulb. “Actually, there is one more thing— well, two more items but they don’t have anything to do with the hunt.”

“It’s alright. You can just say it.”

“What can you tell me about the stout girl and the frail girl?”

Lily tipped her head, “you have to be more specific than that.”

Robert grinned. “I know you have been observing me all this time. There’s no way you would not know who are the two I’m referring to.”

A smirk formed on her face, amused. “The stout girl’s name is Samara. She’s an orphan abandoned at birth. She has been under the care of the Harix Family ever since she was left at their doorstep.”

“Harix? As in Olivia Harix?”

“Yes,” nodded Lily. “They may be commoners but they have a huge heart. The Harix family is known for their charity towards orphans. The most astonishing fact was that it is all genuine. The Harix family does not harbor any ulterior motives under their charitable acts.”

“I’m guessing they have sponsors?”

“Two. Dusk Trading and the Kiva Temple. As for their reasons—”

“Nope,” Robert interrupted. “It’s okay. I don’t need to know that much. Just tell me about the frail girl—”

“Valena Devetra. She’s the illegitimate granddaughter of Hank Devetra.”

“Hank Devetra? The Lord Governor of this city?”

“Yes, the Lord Governor of Midas Valley.”

Devetra, a name known by everyone in Midas Valley. They stood at the pinnacle among all noble houses in Midas Valley. They’re pretty much royalty and the patriarch were even sometimes called the King of Midas Valley.

“Illegitimate granddaughter?”

“She was born to the late second son of Hank Devetra and a random harlot. She has been isolated from the main family ever since her birth but Hank Devetra still looks after her. Her education and well-being until today are thanks to him. A shame she may be but she’s still a Devetra, or that’s how the clan told everyone.”

Robert let the information sunk in before asking, “does she possessed any Specialization Magic?”

“Not that we know of. She practiced archery and a little bit of short sword but even those are only at beginner’s level. She received basic education regarding Magic the same as other nobles. However, there was an interesting story.”

“Which is?”

“The maids tending to her kept claiming to have seen her interacting with a peculiar black cat with two tails but Valena herself had always denied the claims. So she might be an Anima and if she is, she has been doing a good job at hiding it. No one has any solid proof, so far.”

“So that’s how it is….” mumbled Robert.

“Anything else, Robert?”

“I think that’s about it,” he said and rose from his seat. “Until we meet again,” he bid and walked down a narrow path, different from the one he took to come here.

“You know where that path leads to?” Lily called out.

Without even returning a glance, he answered, “I already know where all the paths lead to,” and disappeared into the narrow path.

Lily chortled. “What an amusing boy. We have truly struck gold, Mr. Smith,” she said, to no one in particular.


There was a path that acted as a shortcut between the main building and the garden. However, it was only rarely used. The path had been neglected due to many circumstances but the most profound of all was the fact the surrounding trees had grown much too tall. Only a few strands of sunlight managed to squeeze their way through the dense growth of leaves and into this narrow path.

The circulating rumor of this path was that whatever happened here, would went unnoticed. A paradise for bullies to pick on their target. And thus, leading to the current state of this path.

Still, Robert proceeded down such road. The rumor inspired unease into others but levity into him. Compared to his task at hand, the speculation were nothing more than a pebble by a roadside.

Although, it did not meant that no one wouldn’t took advantage of this rumor.

As Robert was a few good distance into the shady road, he paused his steps. Looking ahead, there was a girl with a large frame, the stout girl, Samara stood in his path.

Now that Robert was standing face-to-face with her, contrary to her atmosphere and large frame, her face wasn’t so bad. If anything, it reminded Robert of a hamster or a rabbit. Her frame was surely an object of ridicule but he didn’t believed there was absolutely no one in the city wouldn’t be charmed by her face.

“Samara, how unexpected to see you here,” Robert nonchalantly greeted. That was a lie. He had known. There was only a few things which could escape his notice.

Samara clicked her tongue. “You know my name.”

“I do.”

Samara pierced Robert with her eyes but her face showed that she wished the pierce would be literal. “Let this be the one and only warning you will receive, back off.”

“Aren’t you the one who stood in my path first?”

“You know what I mean,” saying so, Samara unleashed her Aura.

“Impressive,” he praised. Despite having so much of her Magic trapped by her incompatible body, she still managed to raise an Aura.

“I know you have been watching me. For your own sake, you best stop doing it, you creep.”

“What’s wrong with being an object of admiration?”

“Do not take me for a fool. Not everyone is as stupid as you think.”

“First off, I don’t see people as stupid. I see them as inattentive. Second, what’s wrong with staring at something or someone? This is nothing more than a common gesture you would find anywhere. I have neither broken any laws nor ethics.”

Robert’s words were nothing but the truth. Boys would gaze longingly at the girls they admired or loved, and the same could be said for girls, etc. It’s in the nature of people to stare at things they find interesting. Samara was aware of that but she had a different circumstance. She had received her fair share of gazes but all of them were either filled with contempt or scorn. She was well-aware of her body frame which made her unsavory for many.

This was the first time she was being stared at with fervent and passion. It shocked her and even unsettled her. She feared the fervent gaze was only a misunderstanding on her part, a ploy of a practical joke. For the sake of her heart, she decided not to pry.

Locking gaze with Robert, Samara approached him with heavy footsteps.

Robert noticed Samara’s right fist was tightly clenched. But to that, he only gulped.

“If my words could not persuade you,” she stopped right in front him, “then forgive me for letting my fist do the persuasion.”

Robert saw it coming, long before she appeared in his path. He had a good gauge of Samara’s temperament and her insecurities from the few glimpses she gave. He knew this was coming but he let it came all the same.

The hook went right for his abdomen, expelling all the air in him. If Samara had used a little bit more strength, Robert would be vomiting blood instead of air.

Robert curled up from the punch and fell to his knees. Groans escaped through his gritting teeth.

“Don’t let me catch you stalking me again.”

“Okay… d-duly noted,” Robert was barely able to squeeze out those words.

Around a minute after Samara left Robert to his own device, he released himself from the act. Well, it wasn’t all an act. He was truly punched and he truly felt the pain, but…

He sat on both of his knees. His eyes closed and hands rested on his lap. He sought out the partitioned force within him. A force different from Magic. He drew only a dimple of that mysterious force. He let it flow through his body, ridding him of all his pain and injuries. Just like that, he was back in full health.

“It’s a shame but personal affairs would have to wait,” said Robert as he continue staring at the corner Samara disappeared into.

 

17