018 – Intended
411 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was more than a day since the doors to the mansion lord’s study was last opened. When it finally did, the air rushed in to greet the desolate room and fluttered dusts and paper into the air.

“What’s wrong, Thomas?” Lucan Devetra asked as he looked up from his desk which was pile with stack of papers, each pertaining to administrative and governmental subjects. He was mildly nettled but he knew Thomas wasn’t one to be inconsiderate and discourteous. He wasn’t a head butler for thirty years without grounds.

“Milord, Lady Azaela is here,” announced Thomas, the head butler as he stood by the doorway. It was unspeakable for a servant to intrude upon their masters without prior consent but the matter brought before the lord of the house did not conform to the usual precept.

“She is? ” Lucan sprang from his chair. The abrupt movement unveiled his dark layered eyes that was hidden behind his unkempt hair. He normally sported a well-trimmed style and kept his black hair short but days of reviewing numerous documents had left him in an unsightly state, certainly not one befitting of meeting his betrothed with.

“She claims to have reached the borders just yesterday.”

“What day is it today?”

“It’s the forth, milord.”

“I thought she will be arriving at the fifth?”

“She is ahead of schedule. Shall I tell her to come back on the appointed date, milord?”

Lucan had a conflicted look. Two years went by without a glimpse of his own betrothed. Gazing upon her intimidating yet lovely figure and her domineering yet tender smile was something that did not went undesired in the two years he was apart from her. At the same time, he did not wish for this reunion to be marred by his current state.

With a heavy heart, Lucan made a decision, “Yes, please.”

“Very well.” Thomas bowed and left, the door closing on their own after. It was an enchantment spell commonly employed by nobles and the opulent ones alike. The other enchantment spell which shared the same popularity was the sound inhibition spell.

Lucan sighed.

The reception was planned for tomorrow but his betrothed early arrival had thrown him into disarray. Nothing was ready, he himself certainly wasn’t. Although he truly desired to see his betrothed but the expectation of not wanting to disappoint her overruled such desire.

Particularly when Azaela wasn’t just any girl.

She was one of the Wings of Aeryo, an elite of the elite. Lucan may be the grandson of the Midas Valley’s Lord Governor but if one drew a comparison between them, she was superior in all aspect. She was a princess but the discarded her titles when she joined the Aeryeon Faith. Now, she was an independent strong lady who fended for herself unlike him, who got this far purely because of his fortune of being born as a Devetra. To further underline his worth in comparison with hers, they were both born with a golden spoon but she cast aside her privileges and lived with her own spoon crafted with her own strength from wood.

They were three years apart in age with Lucan being the younger. While he had just reached the marriageable age, Azaela was long past her due. Lucan did not mind. She originally intended to live a celibate life but his infatuation convinced her for a different route. It was fortunate that she followed the Aeryeon Faith. Otherwise, a union was prohibited in other faiths.

But of course, their hope for a union was met with demurral due to Azaela being a former royalty from a foreign country. This was usually a cause to be celebrated for making connections with other nations but she was no longer of royalty but she still carried their blood. It was a contradicting conflict.

It happened during an evening party of nobles, lords of other clans raised their opposition to this union but the antagonisms were quell when Azaela’s exploit and merits were made known to them.  And the opposing factions came to a compromise that her strength was needed if Midas Valley was to stay independent. Although, a different type of objections were born, one with Lucan as the subject of ridicule for being subservient and inferior to a girl. But that was a story for another day.

“Lady Azaela, Lord Lucan is not prepared to receive any guests at the moment,” the voice of the head butler pealed into the study.

“I understand, Thomas but I am not his guest.” The familiar striking voice reached Lucan’s ears. He bounced up from the seat he had just sat back down on and tidied himself up as best and fast as he could.

The benign exchange was looming in on the study. Not seconds after, the doors flung open with a breeze of a push. That effortless shove came from a girl of platinum blonde hair with a low rise ponytail which was touching her waist. Her daunting amber eyes exuded warmth and the capacity for compassion and affection.

The very same eyes which entangled the heart of Lucan Devetra.

“Z-Zela!” he stuttered. “It’s been a long time!”

The Dragon Knight of Aeryo offered no response besides a dry expression. The doors behind her remained opened even after she stepped through but Lucan was in no state of mind to descry such trivial matters. She approached him with footsteps that made no sounds. It wasn’t Magic but her own finesses.

It was a feat that continuously impressed Lucan no matter how many times he had witness it, especially given the boots and armor she wore. They weren’t of the heavy category but armor was still armor, they were bound to weight something. Azaela who walked with a gravity-defying notion and a poised gaze which only tempted Lucan deeper into her ravel.

Azaela faced the quivering Lucan directly. “That’s all you will say?” she asked without veering her eyes away from his.

“Of course not!” Lucan quickly denied. “It’s just that you caught me at a bad time, Zela.” He looked away but she moved him back with a finger.

Her eyes moved all over his body. “Is it truly such a terrible sight?”

“I’m a mess.”

“You see a mess.” Her hand reached out for his. “But I see someone who was doing his best. Someone who put his city before himself.”

“What if that someone is just drowning himself in work just to get by the lonely two years?”

“What a coincidence, so was I.”

Lucan broke into a smile and he chuckled. “I miss you, Zela” He threw his arms around Azaela who stood almost at his height.

She returned his embrace. “I miss you too, Luke.”

Those two years of desolation was becoming nothing more than a fleeting dream to Lucan.

When they parted, Lucan’s hands shifted to her shoulders. He pulled her in for a kiss but Azaela stopped him with a finger on his lips.

“No.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

She gestured to the doorway with a nudge of her head.

He followed her allusion and found two unknown individuals standing straight at the doorway. One was a man with fading blond hair and rough features in his mid-fifties. He wasn’t much taller than the average soldiers but he still had an imposing presence. The other was a girl younger Lucan himself but her sharp violet eyes was more daunting than even Azaela’s. Her dark bluish hair was bundled into a bun but it did not dampen her oppressing air even by a little.

Both of them wore light armor of similar design to Azaela. At that sight, he understood who they were. He breathed out his dismay.

“Forgive me, my love,” Azaela said with a slight woeful smile. “My celerity wasn’t due to my longing for you.”

Her frankness pierced his heart even though a part of him already knew that fact. If he had to list a shortcoming of hers, it would be her blunt manner.

“I understand,” he forced himself to.

“These two are my aide,” she gestured at the two.

The man stepped up and bowed with a hand to his chest. “I am Gerald, an Elite and a Dragon Knight. It is an honor to finally meet you, Master Lucan.”

“The honor’s mine, Sir Gerald.”

And then it was the girl’s turn, who did the same greeting but Lucan spotted some minor reluctance. “I am Qyoni, a mere novice but I am also a Dragon Knight. It is also an honor to be acquainted with the esteemed captain’s intended.”

“Captain?” Lucan looked to Azaela.

“It is an informal title. I’m leading my own unit now which in turn makes me a captain.”

“I see,” Lucan smiled wryly. Every time he saw her again, he felt the distance between their capabilities only grew. “Your rush was prompt by a quest, I assume?”

“Yes, a dire quest.”

“The Dragon artifact?”

“Yes.”

He gave her a sympathetic gaze. “In that case, I’m sorry to let you know that it was lost during an excursion last night. The involved-factions have tripled their efforts but their search came up with nothing.”

“I have my reports of that that but we have reasons to believe that there may be more other Dragon artifacts present in this city.”

Lucan widened his eyes. He was quiet for a second before he asked, “are you sure?”

“Our information is reliable.”

“You think the Caeleon faith has them?”

“Not necessary. We know they are in this city but we do not know which hands they are in.”

Lucan fell silent as he stared at the pile of paperwork.

“Luke?”

“Why come to me with this?”

Azaela did not reply immediately. She looked around the room.

“There are Null spells in place in this room. You can rest assured, Zela.”

She looked back at him. “I came to you because I trust you.”

Lucan flinched at her implications. He looked at her.

There was no change in her expression.

“Are you aware of what you have just implied?”

“I am and so are you,” unwavering, she replied. “How else would it have been smuggled into this city without anyone’s notice? These aren’t just weapons, jewelries, or opium.”

“Zela, even if you are my betrothed, you will be trialed for this, at the very least.”

“I am your betrothed but I am a Dragon Knight and a Wing of Aeryo before that. I can’t just overlook a glaring possibility and irregularity.”

“My grandfather is the Lord Governor, protecting the city is his one obligation until his passing or the relief of his title.”

“If your esteemed grandfather truly did not know, it doesn’t make him innocent, it just makes him ignorant and unfit to be the Lord Governor.”

“Azaela!” Lucan shouted, “do you realize what will happen if anyone else outside of this room hear your words.”

“You know me very well, my love.”

“I do but the same can be said to my family. I know what they are inclined to do.”

Azaela took a step forward. “Which is why I came to you.”

Lucan took a deep breath with a few steps back. “I’m sorry, Zela. Whatever is it you are asking from me, I can’t help you.”

Unyielding as ever, Azaela looked on.

“Zela, you’re treading on thin ice here which is currently melting under a scorching sun. This is seriously and extremely dangerous.”

“For me or your family?”

“My family can take care of themselves.”

“So can I, Lucan.”

“But you are the one who I’ll be raising our children with.” The room froze at Lucan’s clamour.

Azaela was the one who broke that ice. “Do you trust me so little, after all?”

“Damn it. This isn’t about trust. This is about what’s safe.”

Azaela turned her back to him. “I disagree, Luke.”

Lucan said nothing in return. He knew her well. At this point, he knew his words wouldn’t be enough to convince her. He could never win against her in strength or wits.

“I may be inexperienced with such affairs but I believed trust is what it’s all about.” She glimpsed back over her shoulders. “Sorry to intrude while you’re such a mess,” she said and strode out of the room.

“Excuse us, Master Lucan.” Gerald said and followed after with Qiyoni who followed suit with a disdaining glare.

But Lucan was in grief over the dissension that had just transpired to notice.


“He’s not suspicious which makes him all the more so,” Qyoni said unpretentiously but her voice held firm and unfaltering. She loosened her hair with a relieving sigh and let it fell to her neck. She had specifically tied up her hair for the meeting with the Lord Governor’s grandson and her captain’s intended.

“That’s enough, Yoni,” reprimanded Gerald.

“To think that’s the captain’s intended.”

“Yoni, be quiet!” he raised his voice, ironically.

“Why?”

“You are being rude.”

“Speaking the truth constitutes as rude now?”

“It’s about tact here, Yoni,” Gerald glanced worriedly at Azaela who was sitting across from the two in the carriage. “Suspicious or not, he is still the captain’s intended.”

“Yeah, surprisingly.”

“Yoni!”

“Leave her be, Gerald,” said Azaela, indifferently. “She’s not entirely wrong.”

Gerald cast a befuddled gaze at his commanding officer. “Captain?”

“He’s no fool. He couldn’t have not considered that angle.”

“See, the captain agrees with me, Gerald.” Qyoni shot him a triumphant grin but she was never one for expressions. And so, it fell short and her grin became more of an affable smile.

“But it’s not like I can’t understand what this meant for him.”

Qyoni blinked. “Captain?”

“We’re implicating his family and practically the royalty of Midas Valley. His reactions are only rational.” Azaela said that but she stormed out of her intended’s presence all the same despite her understanding. Under affairs of the heart, the body does not move in accordance to one’s mind, she learned.

“He was underestimating you, Captain.”

“I don’t blame him,” Azaela said with a pained expression. “I wasn’t exactly ostentatious with my abilities and status during the moments we spent together.”

It was the same as saying she was busy being just a woman in her intended’s company, Gerald understood that but he said nothing of it.

“I don’t see it, Captain,” said Qyoni. “Forgive my insolence but I have to ask, what do you love about him?”

Before Gerald could rise and shouted his admonishment, he was curbed at his captain’s wave of a hand.

Before Azaela could conclude her answers, Azaela reminisced the time they slept through the night on a plain patch of grass under not a roof but the bare night sky and stars. She remembered the moments Lucan brought her around the city, introducing her to his favorite stall for snacks, his favorite garden for lunch and recess, his favorite diner for supper, and the tavern he frequented after a night of hard work. These fond memories of hers streaked through her mind, including the memories of her finding out he had a few old flames and the age he lost his innocence, those were infuriating.

“Have you never been in love before, Yoni?” Azaela asked.

“I had, once. It was— brief. I don’t remember much of it.”

“I can’t speak for everyone but for me, I have come to understand, being in love means you’re willing to embrace your partner’s flaws and imperfections as their merits. They always say love is blind, maybe that’s how that phrase came by.”

Gerald, who had engaged in several amours himself, was amazed at his captain’s profound insight on love. He felt that his respect for her only soared further up.

“His worries can be taxing but he means well. He does have the tendency to over-brood on matters related to me.”

“If it was me, I would have left such a man a long time ago.”

“Is that censure I’m hearing from you, Yoni?”

“I am not disapproving this union, Captain. I’m just saying he carries too much worries towards you. Doesn’t it feel heavy?”

“Having your husband-to-be worrying about you is not a bad thing. It shows that in the end, he cares.”

“Would you be leaving us then, Captain?” asked Gerald.

“Of course not. I am still a Dragon Knight. This union changes nothing but my every actions would be accounted on which sides I’m acting upon at said moment.”

“That sounds like of lot of shackles,” Qyoni remarked.

“Shackles can be broken. If I failed to do that, I’ll be disappointed in myself,” Azaela said and turned her gaze to the window, feasting the city with her eyes.

Midas Valley wasn’t the perfect place to raise a family and it had its own fair share of unpleasant rumors, but the brief time she was here, she had spend it in good company. It wasn’t so bad after all, she thought. This could be her home in the future which only made her more adamant in her quest.

“So, where do we go next, Captain?” asked Qyoni.

Azaela pulled her gaze from the window and turned to Gerald. “I distinctively recalled that you told me you grew up in this city.”

“You recalled correctly, Captain,” Gerald nodded.

“You told me you were born in a remote village a mountain away from Midas Valley.” Qiyoni’s inquisitive tone was a stark contrast to her sitting posture with her head leaning on her curled-up hand.

“I was born in a village just across the mountain east of this city but my family and I moved to this city when I was eight.”

“Where’s your family now?” asked Azaela.

“My parents are no longer in this world.”

Qyoni raised an eyebrow while Azaela expressed her condolences.

“My brothers have long moved to the borders of Zagan Empire. Some of my distant relatives have taken root in the city but I have not seen them since I joined the Aeryeon Faith.”

“I see,” mused Azaela.

“If I’m perceiving this correctly, Captain, you need my knowledge of this city?”

“Yes,” she nodded.

“How can I help, Captain?”

“Let’s say I want to know the mistress of some predominant noble, who do I ask for such information?”

Gerald raised his eyebrows to the peak.

Qyoni covered her lips.

“It’s just a figure of speech.”

Gerald sighed but Qyoni had a look of disappointment.

“Are you in the know of such person, Gerald?”

He looked to his side. “I am, Captain,” he said.

Noticing the gloom in his eyes, Azaela inquired, “I understand it will be something unsavory. If it truly is too much, I won’t ask.”

“You are mistaken, Captain. It’s not something like that.”

“It’s not?”

“I am aware of what needs to be done to accomplish our quest. I will not shy away from such acts as long as a line is drawn where it should be. I hesitated because it was something— personal.”

“Personal…” Azaela mused. “This person you know— you have some history?”

“More than history, it’s family.”

“Who is it?” Qyoni was eager to ask.

“My great grandfather. I was told by my relatives that he was a Grandmaster of Magic but it wasn’t oriented towards offense and he only had one Specialization Magic, so he didn’t make much of a name for himself. Although, his immense Magic level extended his lifespan by threefold, or so my relatives were told by the person himself.” After a brief pause, Gerald continued, “his thirst for knowledge was voracious and he was eventually recruited into some major faction with influences that span across nations. I believe his current trade deals primarily in information.”

“Do you trust him?” Azaela asked.

“We spoke only once, so I do not how much he can be trusted but in that short moment of acquaintance, he is quite fickle and aloof. If information is his trade and he works under a truly powerful faction, he must respect the payment.”

“We’re dipping our toes into the puddle of darkness, then?” Qyoni asked.

“I don’t think we’ll find the artifacts in the light. It’s inevitable to dive into the shadows. Might as well go through with it now.” Azaela made her conclusion. “Do you know where he is?”

Gerald shook his head. “I don’t even know his current name. He went by a lot of names in his past. The name he gave me and my relatives was Duaun1 Duaun is the second day of the week; the equivalent of Tuesday..”

Qiyoni had a stumped look. “There must be something else, you are of the same blood after all, no?”

Gerald had an enlightened expression. “There is something.”

Qyoni and Azaela waited for his revelation.

“There is this tavern he frequents. Or he used to, at that time. It had been more than thirty years. It was also the place where I met him that one time.”

“Do you have the name of the tavern?” asked Azaela.

“The Ivory Tavern2Mentioned in 015, if the name still remains the same.”

“Oh,” Azaela muttered.

Qyoni peered in on her superior. “You know the place, Captain?”

“Far too well,” she answered. “Far too well.”

13