1.042 A Reckoning
40 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Who are you going to appoint Head Goblin of Farmers?” asks Milga, the hint of mirth in her voice not helpful.

“Considering I found the one who trapped Zana and Gato, a task I thought I delegated to you, the least you can do is find me several Head Farmer candidates.” My eyes fall across my first wife, and I smile. She notices and tries to prepare herself, for what she doesn’t know. “My first wife will identify any of Jotor’s loyal followers, so they aren’t candidates to prevent them from picking up from where he left off.”

“You forget Lord, I will be on a mission for you in the morning.”

I groan. Placing my hands upon her shoulders I ask, “First Wife you must complete this task then, ask your sister-wives for help and bring the selection to me when complete.”

“Yes, husband.” She leaves my side and moves amongst the crowd, all part before her until she calls one out and chats with them. I leave her to work the crowd and spy Duzsia instead, an eager congregation of goblins hanging off her every word.

“Milga, fetch Zeb and family please, we will take a stroll by the river.”

She nods and heads off, while I work my way towards Duzsia.

“A moment of your time wife.”

Duzsia apologises and promises to return, while we hurry away from the boar spit until alone.

“I have decided to allow Koria and Luda to join your mission at your request. Depending upon their efforts they will hold their future in their own hands.”

“Yes, husband.” She returns to her captive audience while I continue to the river.

Milga holds a torch, which allows me to find them, and I ask her to plant the torch in the river sand before leaving. By the flicking torch firelight, I will decree their future.

“Koria and Luda, you chose your mother instead of me, why?”

They both drop to their knees grasping for my shirt. Suda, tugs at them, trying to encourage them to stand, while Zeb sways from side to side dumbfounded, shaking his head.

“She is our mother,” they cry out.

“Am I, as your husband of secondary importance? Did releasing you from your spirit bonds encourage you to rebel and forget where your true loyalty lay?”

Koria looks up, eyes shedding tears. “We thought you might harm her. She has a way of irritating others …”

“And if I needed to, what of it? I am Lord Farmer Hob, this is my Farm, my authority is absolute here. Your mother, not your mother there is no difference. You must never forget who you swear your alliance to.” I take a sudden step back, both wives fall forward onto the sand.

“I am owed one life and a demonstration of your absolute loyalty, my wives. Talk amongst yourselves and choose one. Stand in front of the torch when you have decided.”

I wander off up the beach. I hope their mother volunteers to make up for her folly, but I suspect Zeb will insist he sacrifices his life, for the good of the family. A great deal of time passes, and in my heart of hearts, I suspect the worst. The torch light is no more. I return to find none waiting for me and drop to my haunches.

Hocus pocus or not the spirit binding is extra insurance to be certain as I am now convinced the two daughters wouldn’t have fled if still bound. If I chase them and run them down I would, upon finding them need to slay them. Given his service to date, I would probably curse in frustration over Zeb’s body, of the four he never transgressed and only took on their guilt. I drop from my haunches to squat upon the sand. Their desertion rocks me, my pushing of them too far, too high a price. My inner Hob is eager for revenge yet even he senses I am heartbroken in an odd way. Disloyalty, breaking of trust, can that ever be regained? I lay down upon the sand and stare at the night sky. I must admit to myself I am at a loss, my once absolute control in doubt, and I don’t know how to pick myself up.

Harsh orders and occasional shouting wake me. The false dawn rises in the East, and I blink to wake and focus my eyes. A gaggle of goblins struggle to walk towards me, occasionally dropping to the sand. Hands drag them to their feet and push them forward, only for them to drop to the sand again.

I recognise them.

It seems incredible, they go from strangers to faces I can identify. This can only be a mind trick. I try to deny the truth before me until my eyes confirm without a doubt the return of Zeb and his family. Milga, Duzsia, Kor, Zoria and a Ten Spears escort them.

My wait is excruciatingly slow.

They kneel before me.

“I am not as trusting as you, Lord, although I appreciate that you are,” says Milga.

I reach down and grab Suda by the throat, her hands being bound all the better for what I have in mind. I deliberately drag her to the water and hearing no protest, her family know and accept her life is forfeit. I don’t disappoint and follow-through, much to my inner Hob’s joy. In the shallows, sand and water mix and I hold her face down. She thrashes and when still, I shove her face down further until I hear her neck snap. I should have let her drown when she released the rope around her waist. I curse my kindness. I climb to my feet, my hand still around her neck, her head flopping to one side. Drawing upon my anger I hurl her body into the river, returning her to where she should have died, correcting my past mistake.

Stomping back to join the remaining three I grab Koria by the throat next. We enter the water and I thrust her under until she struggles no more and then I return to the shore and begin resuscitation. With my nanorobots flowing through her blood they ensure she shortly after splutters, heaving up the water in her lungs. I leave her and once again stomp back up the shore. Luda doesn’t look up until my grip on her throat forces her to. I drag her to the water as well and repeat her drowning and recovery. With a hand on each of their necks, I drag them back to their father.

“Zeb look me in the eye.”

He complies, his face tearing and distraught. “Lord Hob, I obey.”

“Who decided running would be your best option?”

He sniffs, hitches his chest. “My wife encouraged my daughters, who, at the time free of their spirit link thought they could escape.”

“What of your spirit? They thought so little of your loss?”

“I have accepted my spirit is forfeit. The truth is Lord I don’t know if I believe or not believe. I will only find out when I die and by then it will be too late for regret. So, I accept your judgement, my Lord.”

I pace along the shoreline a short way the true dawn now upon us, the warmth of the sun a counterbalance to the cold dark deeds I have done, first Jotor, a just killing and then Suda a correction for misdirected kindness. Returning I stand before Duzsia.

“Are you ready to leave my second wife?”

“We prepared in case you still needed us to.”

“Good, then I wish you every success. Take Koria and Luda with you and perhaps their loyalty to me will once again live in their hearts. I will discuss further matters with Zeb and his fate will depend upon their performance amongst other things.”

Duzsia leads them as they jog past me, the Ten Spears follow in double file. None wear smiles, which is a shame as their leaving on this mission should be in celebration. They will need to return to the worn cliff face area to cross the river. The large boulders providing a dangerous yet possible crossing point and Duzsia never hesitated in agreeing with me and accepting the risk.

Zeb and I return to the farm proper and break our fast together in the Kitchen Cabin. There is nothing to discuss. Each of us trying to think about how to reset our relationship and by meals end, we part company without speaking a word to each other.

I check on Vuzsia confirming she has added the ten iron arrowhead arrows to her quiver and advising her introduction to the Head Hob will be a few more days away. She isn’t disappointed or elated and simply shrugs. The Ten Spears have left the Farm to start their hunts so I can only assume one Ten Spears are equipped with iron-tipped spears.

I am almost at my cabin when Rexa intercepts me.

“Lord, I have several candidates for Head Goblin of Farmers. If you would be seated at your table, I will fetch them.” She bubbles over with enthusiasm; how can I dismiss her. I nod my agreement and pull up a chair at my Cabin’s table.

Somehow fate has a way of helping. Five male goblins line up before. Rexa introduces each, paying special attention to their experience with growing crops. These are the hands-on worker gang leaders, one level removed from Jotor’s direct influence it would seem.

“Each of you will be responsible for one field and at the end of a season, you will rotate to a new field. At the time of rotation, I will inspect each field, decide on the health of the field, and mark a score accordingly. While your scores hold you will continue as Head Goblin of Farming.”

One holds up his hand. “Not Head Goblin of Farming for all fields then Lord, just one?”

“Yes. Jotor held too much control over other goblins lives, with five replacing him I hope to avoid that in the future.”

They shuffle about, they expected a winner, not a share of the winnings. Another speaks.

“The fifth field Lord, is that the western field? If so, how is any of us to prove ourselves with that field?”

“I acknowledge the field is new, trust that your score for that field, is exactly that. I won’t compare that field with any others. Do you accept?”

They all bob their heads towards me, so I take that as a sign of acceptance and dismiss them. Rexa jumps onto my lap.

“I did good Lord?”

I tweak her ear. “Time will tell, the harvest will make or break us so I am hopeful at least two of those will perform exceptionally well for all our sakes.”

“Do we have time Lord?” She winks at me and although I would rather lay down, perhaps her company will be just as useful. While still on my lap I scope her up and carry her inside my cabin, placing her on my bed. I lose track of the rest of the day, my wives occupy me that night and restful after all the diversions I wake in the morning, naked bodies around me.

I allow Karo to dress me, as the only wife not inconvenienced by a baby belly the task is easy for her. Mid sympathy smile from my well pregnant wives I feel a familiar twinge. This isn’t supposed to happen until I am ready, to suit my timetable.

“Rexa, fetch Vuzsia tell her I must leave shortly for the Head Village, I have been summoned by the Head Hob and I have no choice but to leave. Have her find a Ten Spears, one should have iron-tipped spears and follow as soon as she can.”

She looks at me, frozen.

“Now, First wife, no time can be lost.”

She throws a robe around her nakedness and runs out of the Cabin. My other wives hasten to dress.

“Karo, fetch food and a waterskin.”

She nods and runs off while I grab my bow, quiver and spear, my axe is through my belt behind my back. The twinge is growing stronger, not yet painful, but a warning.

“I will return as soon as I can, until then support Rexa in all she decides.” One last glance to confirm their agreement and I am over the threshold of my door and jogging towards the Farmgate and the wooden road beyond.

Karo sprints to meet me, handing-off a backpack of food and a waterskin, Zeb with her.

“Zeb, with many others absent can I trust in your loyalty, can I be certain you will support Rexa even if she rules against your daughters?”

“Yes, Lord.”

I turn to leave and feel his hand upon my arm. I turn to face the owner.

“Lord, Milga told me you saved my wife from drowning, a pity you did. Know that while I accepted Milga’s offer for help to rescue my daughters, I rejoiced when you claimed myself and my cherished daughters and freed us from my wife’s influence, always trying to live above our station. Perhaps I should have expressed my disappointment in her with you …”

I blink away the Head Hob’s summons echoing in my mind. “We will begin anew, my loyal friend. I am certain your daughters will acquit themselves well and prove their loyalty to me in Duzsia’s company. Now I must go.”

I kiss Karo to her delight and then hasten through the Farmgate and onto the wooden road proper. Looking over my shoulder I think I catch sight of Vuzsia hurrying to round up a Ten Spears with my first wife beside her.

---

From the crest of the hill, the Head Village is within sight. No smoke rises, which doesn’t confirm much, although better there is none. The distance is too far to see anything smaller than cottages. Perhaps this is another test of the Head Hob’s summon ability. The pain and agony of the previous attempts were more equal, an ache coupled with an urgency. Refinement? I grab my waterskin and take a long drink and in so doing I catch movement in the long grass on the riverside of the wooden road. Casually I replace the waterskin over my shoulder and retrieve my iron axe. The weapon is small enough to position near my upper thigh and be ready.

“Lord Hob,” she calls, her voice breathless.

Staggering out of the long grass a female goblin drops at my feet, sweat covering most of her body. Hitching my axe, I draw my waterskin from my back and offer the fallen a drink.

After drawing a mouthful and swallowing she gasps and I recognise her, either number one or number two cook.

“Lord, the Head Hob is under attack,” she pants. I hold the waterskin to her lips and she takes another drink. “Seka makes sure one of us always follow Fub since we have displayed him in the Head Hob’s heart. Over recent weeks he has left the village on many occasions, this morning Seka ordered me to follow him no matter where he led.” She takes the waterskin nozzle and gulps down another drink. I prop her up and she looks into my eyes. “Lord he went South and met with other Hobs and a strange tribe of goblins. I left Lord, frightened I would be caught as the escorting goblins spread out around the meeting location. Exhausted from running I reached the Head Hob’s cottage and told Seka. She told me to run to the Farm if I had to and fetch you. As I left, she and the Head Hob were sharing harsh words.”

“She must have convinced the Head Hob to summon his Hobs because that is the reason I am here.” I grab her by her shoulders and lift her until standing. “You must run as fast as you can to the Farm. Tell Zeb and Rexa to send everyone, all the Ten Spears, send runners to fetch them from their hunts if they must, Archers in training, Slingers and arm any others willing to fight. Now go!” This does raise a question. Why is the Farm so far away from the Head Village?

“What of your wives, Lord? Koria Keen Eye and Luda?”

“They are on a mission, but you are right. Ask Zeb to send a runner after them and send them to the Head Village, although warn them to be cautious as I suspect an ambush will be set upon this road once past this hill.”

“I won’t let you down, Lord.” She darts off down the wooden road without looking back.

I study the village even more intently now the danger deliberately hides as I sense an ambush. Fub would be able to inform his new friends of the location of every nock and cranny in the Head Village. I also believe the building of the wall has forced Fub and his friends to act sooner than they probably would have liked and if that is true, we may still have a chance.

In the distance, I can make out the waterfall. From memory, the water flow cascades into a pond trying to be large enough to be called a lake at the foot of the cliff face. This overflows in a rush around the northern and eastern sides of the village, the river flowing East and then South to do so. The wooden road leads into the eastern side of the village over a ford while the river still flows South. The river then flows directly East. With the cliff to the West, this leaves only the southern side of the village vulnerable, and I spy the beginnings of a wall taking shape on that side.

I have been jogging for half a day. Assuming Fub and friends needed to confirm their plans and then move out, their meeting place would therefore be near the village within the only cover available, the light forest southeast of the village. They have already had time to overrun the village and clean up any dead and lock away any of the living given the lack of movement I can observe. The Head Hob is still alive as his call still echoes in my head. What are they waiting for?

The fact number one or number two could run along the wooden road or at least the northern side of the river means when the Head Hob’s summon was sent, they hadn’t yet closed off all the exits. Since then though Fub and friends could have gained total control, except they have left some cottages alone or at least the Head Hob’s. If in control, none have set any fires, which speaks of troop disciple or a strong leader or worse still, both. The strange goblins would be in control of the village, would the Hobs from the valley over be present or hanging back? Did they all join the invasion? Given the disciple of the attack, at least one Hob must be commanding them in the village. Any others though, would be where?

There are no ideal hiding places on the southside of the village, the light forest to the southeast petters out to long grass long before reaching the outer limits of the village. If they were there, it would take an hour of running to answer any request or signal from the village. One thing for certain they would expect me to run into the village using the wooden road and splashing through the ford, the ideal ambush place as trees and brush line the river there.

I look North and run at full speed down the side of the hill, leaving the wooden road behind. I enter the forest at the foot of the hill, enough full-grown trees to climb and harvest for wood, yet not too many to prevent the light of the sun to hit the forest floor. In fact, perfect wild boar habitat and enough to provide a large Hob cover all the way to the northern side of the village.

Boar squeals alert me. The squeals are from pain, the sound neither diminishing nor increasing, the boar incapacitated? I squat down on my haunches and try to spy out my company. The squeals cease and a shout goes up and I dash towards the source. A Ten Spears surround a fresh boar carcass, shaking their spears above their heads in triumph. As I approach, I notice one of the Blood Suns prospective bodyguards leaning against an impaling spear. The spearhead, up to the crossbar buried into the chest of the boar, the boar’s snout a hand width from her face.

I step from my hiding position and stride in amongst them. They all step back, whispering my title. The Black Suns’ bodyguard scrambles to her feet and tries several times to pull her spear free as I close the distance. Standing in front of her I grasp the spear shaft and tear the spear from the boar’s flesh and hand the bloody weapon to her.

“Thank you, Lord Hob. I will do better next time, Lord Hob.”

I wave her to silence and look around until one of the other ten steps forward.

“Keja, Lord, I lead this Ten Spears. We can invite you to feast.” She waves her hand at the slain boar. “If you wish.”

“Are you originally from Copper Village?” I ask.

She swallows. Nervous? “Yes, Lord. I was one of the first from the village to hunt …”

I step on a hind leg and lifting the opposite I hack that hindquarter free using my axe. They all take a step back. Then I shave off the fur and skin and take a huge bite, chewing and swallowing and then pass the quarter to a couple of goblins near me.

“Leave your supplies behind, free any sows or young you have we are at war. Now go and return as quickly as you can.”

Nine goblins bolt. Keja and the Blood Suns female remain.

“Uda, Lord Hob, introductions weren’t necessary last time.”

I nod and face Keja. “How long has your Ten Spears hunted together?”

“Since the beginning, we lost one from Copper Village early. We are half Copper Village and half Farm, the males.”

“Are any archers?”

“I am Lord,” says Uda in a rush.

I turn my impatient gaze upon her. Caught between running and freezing I then grab her by the throat. She tries to work her jaw to speak and fails.

“I am certain Keja knows the skills of those she commands. Be silent unless asked to speak.” I release her.

Several returning goblins pull up short their faces draining of green pigment.

“Continue.”

“Three of the males are and our one guest, Lord.”

“Ensure their quivers are full and order them to stay by my side, as will you. The spear carriers will follow close, no stragglers. Also, I need you to send your fastest Spear carrier to the wooden road and hide on the Farm side of the closest hill to the Head Village and wait. Reinforcements from the Farm should be arriving. He or she needs to warn them that an ambush will be waiting for them if they continue to follow the road. They are to ford the river near there and approach the Head Village from the southern side of the river. He or she must stay there to direct any others from the Farm. This is important. I expect you will have to tell him to stop his watch when we know all is well.”

“Yes, Lord.”

I nod and seeing everyone ready I jog off, setting a cracking pace. The Head Hob’s signal invades my head urging me to meet him.

---

We rest under the shadows of the cliff face, the sinking western sun providing shade from a long way out. I hear a chorus of heavy breathing and I don’t blame them. I signal Keja closer. When within arm’s reach, I sweep her off her feet and place her upon my shoulders. Once she settles, I point towards the waterfall.

“While there is still a modicum of light we need to squeeze past the waterfall, there is a narrow path behind it. Any, who fall will plunge into the lake and be lost.”

“I will tell my Ten Spears. We will be ready in a few moments.”

I lift her from my shoulders and wait while keeping an eye on the village. Nothing moves about.

A tap on my shoulder. I turn my head and check. Keja nods.

I dash from deep shadow to deep shadow and each of the Ten Spears follows my lead. The fine water spray meets us along with the roar of the falling water. I start to climb higher up the cliff face. I don’t expect the path to be clear and well used, only a way should exist as the cliff curves out at the top and runs along the entire width of the valley, not natural, simply another clue of an ancient extra-terrestrial visit.

4