02 – Current Affairs
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bave looked at his two teammates who were genuinely concerned about him. There were times when he wanted to discuss current issues in Balhkara but he was hesitant. For example, the remote areas of Balhkara were tattered by poverty. Villagers barely made any income, in fact, most of them relied on crops and cattle to make it through.

Worse was that since last year the lords decided to impose higher taxes, and not only did they bite a big chunk of the agricultural layers of the country but also began to slaughter cattle under the pretext that a possible plague could have affected the animals. Many people knew that it was an excuse to make the poor poorer and dependent on their lords.

After 50 villages lost most of their means to produce and provide for their families, the kingdom came up with a promise to compensate if villagers agreed to send 70% of their crops for exportation in other countries – trade matters.

However, the compensation consisted only of 30 copper coins* that were barely worth 2 silver such; just enough to buy seeds for the new harvest and somewhat feed a 3-member family.

Many hunters came from such remote areas and they were painfully aware of the dire situation the country was in. That was in comparison with big towns and cities where most people were a bit too busy to race in the competition of ranks and wealth to care for some cattle.

Bave was from Udeos, the country's sea capital, and he was quite lucky to have many of the privileges other people did not. Despite being a "city boy", Bave was not blind. The current affairs of Balhkara troubled him, and it was very probable he joined the Association of Hunters Bar to try and make a change.

Alas, the change did not come easy – did not come at all.

"Ah…no, it's just that I am happy we are back.", Bave chuckled through his words but could barely mask his discontent.

"Yeah, I agree. Life of a hunter is no life at all. We spend most of our days outside Balhkara and our parents, and children, grow old whilst we try to battle the windmills*. Nothing truly changes, just a vicious cycle of people leaving Balhkara to find a better life.",  Koh sighed deeply, fully aware of the issue.

A lot of people have migrated from Balhkara and not that they became richer or found happiness outside their hometowns – just the opposite – but it seemed that it was easier for them to start anew and pretend that the once glorious Balhkara never existed. Some of them even grew spiteful and wished to see the country burn to the ground.

"I remember when I was little, what it was….Eh…around twenty years ago? Man! Time flies!", Kal laughed bitterly and pulled his beer mug closer,

"I remember how my father worked in the fields. However, he was quite happy and even owned horses!"

"Woah! Horses? If I remember correctly, back in the days it was quite possible to own a horse. Nowadays, it is only the lords and wealthy families who can afford a horse or two!", Koh reached a hand up to feel his fatty chin, remembering the old days.

"Tell me about it! But anyway…I somewhat still remember when the late King died. It was scary, people were lost and afraid. After all, everyone wanted to take a big bite from Balhkara, take the leash, and lead."

Bave kept nodding slightly, despite being the youngest in the team – he had heard many stories from the previous generation that mourned the loss of their King. Some even believed that Balhkara would be punished for spilling the blood of a royal.

It was a kind of superstition that bloodshed, let alone a gruesome death, of any member from that royal clan, could result in an ill omen. On that day, Balhkara lost not only their King but another 10 family members from the "Tulo" clan.

"Do you remember when they ordered the education institutions to remove anything regarding the royal family clan's existence? Whatever we have left now is just oral tradition, just another lore.",  Kal lifted his beer mug and titled it to his lips for another sip.

"Well, I am optimistic. I believe that for as long as people keep the memory alive, no lord and no false king can erase our pride to be men of Balhkara. If we will it, we can restore the country.", Bave tried to uplift the moody conversation.

Alas, three of them knew that it would take just another hundred or two hundred years before Balhkara completely forgets what it was before. What it was to have a true King.

"Yeah, yeah… Do you mean that old legend? It's just a legend created in desperate times.", Kal shook his head, completely rejecting the idea of it.

"Oh come on, we are three! It could be us!", Bave and Koh laughed along as both associated their team with the legend of the 'Three Royal Guards' which anyone knew even people who lived beyond the borders of Balhkara.

"Ha! Tell you what, I don't know about that story but I do not plan to bow before any king!", Kal's brows locked a faint frown, just the thought of it made him angry.

"Well, given the circumstances…I don't blame you.", Koh crossed his arms before his chest, taking a defensive stance whilst talking,

"I mean…how many royal "relatives" tried to sit on that throne? For the last twenty years, we had like four kings. Four! Ridiculous!! And each time the country suffered more. I shan't bow before any king either!"

Bave, as the youngest in the team, couldn't quite comment. Somewhat being young and listening to the feelings of elders called for respect for their opinion. Besides, what could he possibly say to convince them otherwise?

That somewhat a just and virtuous king would come across and suddenly decide to restore Balhkara? It sounded more ridiculous than the legend of the "Three Royal Guards".

However, deep down inside Bave knew that these two men, if met their true King, would die for him just like he would; and that was enough to reassure himself with how loyal they were despite their spiteful comments.

"Well, well. Guys! Don't get moody now. We just came back!", Bave laughed and lifted his beer mug in mid-air,

"Jena!! Jennnnaaa! Bring us more beer!"

His voice tried to rise above the noise and call for the waitress who was actually Bave's childhood friend. Both of them lived in the same neighborhood and attended the same school up to the age of 14.

Jena was a fine lady who often passed on information to Bave from different hunter circles. Be it failed missions or fallen heroes, and even information based on pure rumors.

It was handy to have someone close from that tavern as it was like a true haven for hunters. A lot of important deals were crafted in there and an insider was a good investment to think about.

Jena knew what Bave was interested in and kept an eye, and an ear, for anything regarding foreign trade and antiquities auditions. He had quite the interest in such matters, even Jane found him a bit too obsessed with state affairs.

She knew that if he applied to be a royal general, he'd make a fine one. However, Bave never considered becoming part of the elite. He was fine like that – roaming lands and seeking something…

Something, whatever it was. Even he himself did not know what he was looking for.

1. Copper coins in this chapter are tied to copper history. Copper first came into use as the earliest non-precious metal employed by the Sumerians and Chaldeans of Mesopotamia and later on became wide-spread. However, copper was rarely considered an expensive metal. It does not even classify as a precious metal such as gold, silver, platinum, and titanium. Therefore, the compensation of the kingdom is described as a mocking joke rather than true compensation.

2. "Battle the windmills" is borrowed from the famous story of Don Quixote fighting the windmills. It is an expression used when fighting imaginary enemies. The idiom first was known as "tilting at windmills" but was later changed to "fighting with the windmills".

Do you know any lore story circulating in Your country? Would you share it with the community?
  • Yes, and I would like to share it with others. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but I don't want to share it. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0