Chapter 2
39 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

30 December, year 500 of The Amatarty calendar.

-3rd person POV-

Today is the day Hetra will have his engagement party with the Third princess. Everyone from the Grilrazz family, and representatives of the vassal houses, came with him to the royal palace in the Holy city.

Hetra have been staying here for a week now to get to know the princess better, even thought there is no real need to do so since they have already know each other for a long time. They have known each other’s personality well enough that the tought of marriage between them make them feel awkward, especially when they are forced to interract with each other like how they are currently.

On the royal palace.

Hetra is currently sitting on a bench on the palace’s garden. On his left, is the third princess, Shila Fortherre.

It was a very beautiful scene, except for the atmosphere between them. The atmosphere was very tense, to the point that even the ‘shadows’ protecting them felt that they can physically touch and snap the tension with their barehands.

This status quo lasted until the princess decided to speak first.

“Hey, umm... today is your birth day right.”

“Yep, my 25th, pretty evil for them to do this to me on my birth day.”

“*sob* You speak like getting engaged to me is somekind of punishment...”

The awkward conversation that Shila was trying to start, was shot down almost instantly. Shila who have been tense for a while started sobbing...

“It is me who should have been upset since i got to 'do' a maniac like you!”

“...”

Hetra was very surpised that he actually witnessed that this crazy woman can actually shed tears. But he didn’t try to comfort her since he also felt like crying himself. The tense atmosphere have suddenly became gloomy.

Hetra and Shila have known each other from when they were still ten years old, all the way back from when the king held a party for the first prince's engagement. Afterwards, Shila started to come to play to his territory very often, each time she stayed for two to six months. They have been very close since most of the thing he made were tested and used by her, even more so after Shila became the Qilin of the Central.

Their relationship can be said to be very close, but everyone in their respective families can see them fighting each other a lot more often than to see them get along. In fact, the first and second prince even thought of them as some kind of toxic friends.

The garden was filled with a low sobbing noises until Hetra talked again.

“*sigh*... If you hate it so much then why don’t you just crash this ship?”

“You! You are always like that! How can i do that when papa and mama looked so happy when they announced it!?”

Shila snapped and grabbed Hetra’s collar, only to weakly let it go afterwards and sat back on the bench.

“In the first place, the engagement should have already been decided since even before we are born, your dad and papa is a close friend in their youth. It is only obvious for them to do this kind of thing...”

“Well, it is indeed quite a common practice. How did i not see this coming...?”

They did, in fact realized what their parents are trying to do after knowing each other several years, but their subconsciousness keep denying the possibility of it happening.

For the last time, silence descended on the palace garden. It was only after Irena came that the silence was broken once again.

“Did the both of you stayed like this the entire morning? You guys are so unbearable to watch that one of the shadows came to me for help...”

Irene looked at the two spiritless people and feels like her spirit is also draining away.

.............................................................................

-Hetra's POV-

On the evening,

I stood nervously in front of the door to the party hall, together with Irena and Jessica on my right and left respectively. Seeing my nervous expression, Jessica tried to comfort me.

"Try to breathe bro, you are far too tense! It isn't like you are going to die tonight, right? This is your first debut as a grown man!"

Irene also added.

"What is so bad about Shila to get you this nervous? She is beautiful, she came from a good family, and she is also the Qilin of The Central! You only need to cope with her somewhat unreasonable personality, which you have splendidly done perfectly for 15 years already, and then you pretty much got the best possible woman you can hope to get!"

"...."

I can't say anything back to them since i am too nervous right now, but Irena is right. Shila is good woman, too good even. I don't know if i can cope with her, the Qilin of the Central, who is theoretically of a higher status than The Blue Dragon of The east, which is my mother who beat me up daily.

"*sigh*"

I pushed open the door,

"The Heir of The Duke of Grilrazz, The High Priestess candidate, and The 32nd Great Magus is entering!."

Everyone's eyes are instantly directed on me even before the announcer finished with their words. I can hear whispers from all direction, i can also sense lots of people trying to size me up.

To be honest, not only to shila, i kinda feel inferior even compared to my sisters. In front of them, the title of 'Heir' didn't sound that great anymore.

'Pull yourself together, Hetra Grilrazz! You are the star of tonight's event! I won't let anyone steal that from me tonight!' I tried to do a self hypnosis.

'That is right! I can't let my first formal debut become a stain in my history! This event will become my stepping stone towards greatness that will surpass everything!'

I stood even more upright than before, i focus my eyes, and released a little bit of my aura. I was finally able to calm down. I was somehow manage to force myself to calm down!

My sudden change of demeanor silenced the whispering guests, and after some time i can hear someone saying things like...

'As expected of the Duke's son!'

'He is their elder brother after all!'

'So this is the Qilin of the Central's fiancee...'

...and so on, which boosted my morale a bit.

Not long after, some of the party guests started approaching me, i shrank back a little bit, but i was able to stop it from showing. Both Jessica and Irena have already gone without me noticing.

'I gotta pull my own weight! You are the best, me! Those people are insignificant before your greatness!'

I did another round of self hypnosis, and my agitated mind cooled down once again, and bravely faced the incoming party guests. I was able to handle everyone splendidly. I can see my parents giving a thumbs up for me, while they are chatting with the king and queen.

10 minutes later.

" The Third Princess, The Qilin of the Central is Entering!"

My tension rises to the peak.

There i saw Shila wearing a red party dress, a very rare sight even after knowing her for years.

....

She gracefully approached me, while maintaining a noble air around her.

.........

I was usually only able to see her wearing casual clothes, or a suit of armor, so this scene gave a big impact on my mind. But on top of all,

'She is doing her best...!'

I can see her rubbing her index finger with her thumbs, which is a sign that she is also nervous like me.

'I also have to do my best!'

I also approached her, while maintaining whatever kind of aura i'm emitting. While doing so i didn't realize that Shila's noble air have changed into bloodlust, the party music has stopped without anyone noticing. The light atmosphere of the party have suddenly became tense. It became dead silent.

'I have to say something!'

But before i managed to say anything, Shila laughed.

"Ahahaha! What the hell are you trying to do here, Hetra? You look like you are trying to kill someone right now, you know? are you asking for a 'round' with me?"

Shila taunted me with her usual smug smile. I sensed something wrong with the atmosphere and try to look for hint from my sister on the corner of the hall. There, i see Jessica in a panicked expression doing a handsign that should probably mean 'break' repeatedly, and on another corner i see Irena facepalming. Everyone else is putting a grave expression. Then i look back at Shila. Shila seems like she is ready to take out her Qilin armament and lash out at any moment now. In response, i...

"By all means, yes!"

I extenden my hand, and showed the most 'charming smile' i could give. Shila seems like she didn't understand what i am doing and grabbed my hand absentmindedly.

"...?"

"Thank you for giving me this dance, my lady."

"...!"

I subconsciously grabbed Shila closely, and started to dance. It is a very easy to learn dance that i have practiced a lot of times in secret. Shila seems like she is still confused and tried to struggle free, but i managed to held her in place.

"!!!"

The musicians seemed to have realized what is going on and started to play a nice melody.

"..."

Shila suddenly stopped struggling and looked at me with hazy eyes. I didn't realize that unfortunately, since i may also be in the same state. Then, we silently danced along with the music, while everyone else witnessing the sudden changes in awe, which i also didn't realize. 

2