Chapter 15|Sorrow/Happiness and Strength/Will
12 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked at myself from a distance, I only remember the experience of losing her. I didn’t want to lose her again, knowing that my power is already here for me, I’m sure that I can change her fate. I looked closely at myself. What path did I want to take? There were many questions I had, there was much I still didn’t know about this world even with ten years of experience.

 

“Shinjeo, you awake kid?”

 

“Yeah, I was just taking a breather, it’s been a long day.”

 

I’d expect that there weren’t going to be many that would survive the “awakening.” However with the ESSE, that could change.

 

“Let’s go in.”

 

“Shinjeo, it’s late. Where have you been?”

 

My mom had an irritated look on her face. I thought to myself about her constant worrying. She always had some sort of sense of when we were in danger or if we had done something that she thought wasn’t good.

 

“I’m sorry Ms. Curato, I just had to have a talk with Shinjeo.”

 

“Oh! I’m sorry I didn’t see you there sir.”

 

She also had a tendency to ignore those, she wasn’t focused on. Always be hard-working, earn your own keep, make your own path. Those were words that I heard that bounded around in my head. Being strong can be expressed in many different ways. That was the person she was, not perfect, but always doing her best in her own way.

 

“I’d like to have a talk with you and Mr. Curato about a proposal I have.”

 

My mom had stern eyes and they clearly told me to go quickly and wash up. It was a sort of language that our family had, we didn’t need to use words, we just kinda knew. She let us both in and I went up to my room quickly to wash up.

 

“I hope that mentality stays with us.”

 

The “awakening” often changed people, there were those who completely changed personalities. I didn’t know if that was their true selves or the effect of the reality we all had faced. No matter what, I wanted to keep all of them with me.

 

I stood in the shower as the warm water enveloped me. I closed my eyes again to see my past.

 

“Kid! We have to go now! There will be more monsters.”

 

The Tempest Archer was distraught, I killed the monster that murdered my sister with a single blow. I saw myself sitting beside her lifeless body.

 

“Why didn’t it take me instead?!”

 

My eyes were just full of tears as I looked down on her body. There was much sorrow, but I knew that I had to listen to her wishes. I had to live my life with regret, but I still had to shine.

 

“They’re here now! Come on! Take my hand!”

 

I got up and took his hand. I had to kill every monster I came across, I wouldn’t put mercy on any of them who took my world from me.

 

‘Every person has a purpose to fulfill when they’re alive.’

 

I remember it clearly, days before the “awakening” my mom told me those words. I was still in that phase where I didn’t know what I wanted. With Rish gone in that time, I knew what I wanted in an instant.

 

“I’ll make sure each and every monster pays.”

 

I looked at myself from below, I relived the memory and watched myself. I had to always remember this memory. During my time in the future, I watched this memory countless times. Even as I slowly lost myself, I was  never going to forget what I wanted.

 

My eyes opened as I turned off the shower and put on my clothes. I slid my slippers on and walked slowly downstairs to hear my mother’s enthusiasm.

 

“So, my Shiny has caught your eye?”

 

“Yes, he is a very special boy, I believe that he has the potential at our school.”

 

I saw my mom’s eyes gleam in excitement. I knew she wanted me to get a higher education, she knew what it was like to live from the bottom and survive. I wouldn’t forget her stories and I would forge my own.

 

“I heard that the Besondere Institute guarantees entrance to college with all expenses paid. Is that true?”


“Of course, our students always deserve the best as they push for the best they can themselves.”

 

Here she goes again. Her eyes sparkled like diamonds and she quickly added to her previous statement.

 

“Alright, I’ll enroll Shinjeo into your school on one condition.”

 

“I will guarantee you my word.”

 

She looked serious for a moment as she got the words out.

 

“Promise me that he’ll be safe alright?”

 

“A student’s safety is our priority mam.”

 

She finally looked up to him with tears in her eyes. Mom?!? Why’re you crying at a moment like this?

 

“I’m sorry sir, I just felt overwhelmed that a son like him is so valued. I love him very much, but to hear that he has the potential to reach the top is very hard to my heart.”

 

“I just believe that all students have the potential, we just have to take one look first.”

 

Quinton quickly turned and winked to me as he gave her his handkerchief. He seemed to be happy that I had a mother so supporting of me. I smiled back and slowly walked up to my room. The memories that were painful came back to remind me to become strong, and the happy memories I forged became the hearth that would make me strong.

 

I remember the words my master told me when I had no motivation to move forward with nothing left.

 

‘Didn’t you say that she gave her life for you? Then that means that your life is worth two, live on to receive her wishes and when the day comes when you will meet her again. Smile.”

 

That master always was rough but that moment stuck with me to keep moving. All my experiences and the future I would pave the way for were right here. I closed my eyes to seeing the smiles of all those that I loved.

1