Chapter 11 – A Van Named Hilbert
220 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chp 11 - A Van Named Hilbert

Earth/Europe/Bertotia Kingdom/The Capital/07_09_2020:

Sunlight illuminates every corner of the street, a cool morning breeze sweeping past the bustling pedestrians. Staring suspiciously at the man to her right, Andresia thinks for several moments before opening her mouth to speak.

(Andresia): Ivan… How do you know that man… Leonid, was it?

Pursing his lips, Ivan’s face sours. Memories of his time as a slave flood back in droves.

(Ivan): Well… Let’s just say that not everything Briggin’s owns was obtained legally. Being on good terms with an information broker is a necessary lifeline in such situations.

(POV Andresia): Does that mean Ivan also broke the law? I wonder what terrible things he’s had to do…

Turning his head to dodge her questioning gaze, he coughs, attempting to change the subject.

(Ivan): Well anyway, we’re heading over to the garage The Pig told us about now. You remembered the route there, didn’t you?

(Andresia, scoffing): Well I certainly couldn’t let you do it, you’re absolutely hopeless with directions. It’s actually quite impressive that you’re able to get so lost considering you’ve lived here your whole li~

(Ivan): Alright, alright, Miss Schmarmy Pants, if you want the role of Chief Escort that badly, you can have it. Hurry now, squire, lead the way!

Shooting him a reproachful glare, Andresia heaves out an exasperated sigh before turning right at the end of the street. They spend the next few minutes idling, weaving between commuters and parked cars. By the time they reach their destination, it is already 8:30 am. Not stopping, the pair gaze at the polished aluminium plating bolted along the bottom fringe of the garage. Despite the ridiculous levels of protection, this place hasn’t even seen a Spiderling in 20 years1this is likely how they’re able to afford fortifications in the first place. Passing through the open doorway, Ivan flashes the clerk a pair of deep blue keys. This action warrants a nod from the clerk, in the direction of one of the back rooms. Making their way into this room, the fugitives finally come to a stop.

(Ivan): Wow, this is really something…

(Andresia): What do you mean “really something…”?? It’s a piece of crap!!

Compared to the condition of the glistening garage, supplied with high-quality tools and enough money to close up shop for a few years without much of a hassle, the van is, as Andresia put it: “a piece of crap”. The once-rich blue Mercury2 yes that’s a rip-off of M*rc*d*s, what’re you gonna do? van seems to groan in response to Andresia’s qualms, creaking and squeaking for no apparent reason. Paint has been scratched off in places, replaced with different shades in others. One wing-mirror is missing, and the poor vehicle heavily gives the impression of mistreatment as a whole.

(Ivan): What’re you talking about, this is perfect. The tyres still have a good while left in ‘em yet, the looks just add to the charm of it, that’s all. I’m sure it’ll run fine, don't even worry about it. The Pig may be a criminal, but he wouldn’t break a deal, if he did then one word would bring his entire client base down on his head.

Clearly unconvinced, the princess roams around it, scouting it for signs of an imminent break-down. After ~5 minutes, seemingly satisfied (read: she just gave up), she hops in the driver’s seat, next to her partner.

(Andresia): Fine, but as I’m driving and navigating, you have to look after the poor thing…

(Ivan): That’s cool with me, I’m sure you’d make better company than this old grump, wouldn’t you, Hilbert?

(Andresia): H-hil~? You know what, I don’t know why I’m even surprised. Are all the supplies we agreed on already loaded up?

(Ivan): Yeah, I checked while you were inspecting the poor guy. It seems like everything we talked about is here… Seems there’s only one thing left to do…

Directing their gazes at each other, toothy grins creep onto both of their faces.

(Both): …Drive!

~50 miles West of The Capital, Lone Soul Highway/~an hour later:

(Andresia): “iT’lL rUn FiNe, DoN’t EvEn WoRrY aBoUt It” my ass!! This thing’s completely out of petrol, you moron! How could you not have thought to check something like that?!!

(Ivan): Huh?? Why am I the moron, ya Berk? You were the one driving the poor guy!

(Andresia): Yeah, well you were in charge of looking after him, errr wait... it!

Stood on the side of the road, our favourite pair of protagonists are currently having a friendly debate over who is to blame for the current situation. Beached in a lay-by, the blue remaining on Hilbert contrasts starkly with the pale green of the grass in the field to its side.

(Ivan): Okay okay, is there somewhere nearby we can go to get petrol?

(Andresia): Well… One of those “Tavern Towns” The Pig told us about should be just up ahead, we’ll definitely find some there. It should only be ~20 minutes walk from here, however…

(Ivan): Bandits?

Meeting Ivan’s eyes with her own, she performs a small nod. Tavern Towns are small towns or villages found along major inter-city highways that essentially act as service stations to the people using said highways. As Spiderlings would decimate any ordinary service station, towns that can withstand their attacks are built around these areas instead. Unfortunately, while they have many of the services and equipment of the major cities, they lack the necessary man-power to operate it all, making them prime targets for bandits. The back and forth between the towns and bandits has led to a 500 year old arms race, producing super bandits and what are essentially town-sized nuclear bunkers. While the towns enjoy a stable balance of power with the bandits, anyone visiting is likely to get wiped off the face of the Earth, should they encounter any. Fortunately, the towns have accounted for this, using huge magnets to attract incoming vehicles towards them. Unfortunately, Hilbert is currently out of fuel and out of range, meaning they’ll have to travel by foot, a dangerous endeavour. There is one ray of hope though, they can take Hilbert with them. Car-keys nowadays utilise Spatial Weaving to move the vehicle to and from a small spatial rift, meaning you can take them with you on foot. However, you must turn the engine on with the key at least once, so it recognises you as a driver and not a thief3this is why they went to the garage first, instead of just warping it over to the pub. Once they get in range, they can put Hilbert down, climb in and they’ll be whizzed through the front gates.

(Ivan): Now it’ll just come down to how long we can avoid the bandits for…

0