Ch. 13 – I Have a Big Sis?!
2.8k 4 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
When Maven regained consciousness, she was back in her bed back at home. Mind still a bit groggy while laying atop an opulent and fluffy mattress, Maven reflected on both her previous life’s memories and those of her first 3 years in her new life.
 
Just like Kannon promised, I did end up as the daughter of a Duke. My father is apparently Duke Finadan Daegal while my mother is Farissa Daegal. It’s a bit surprising how little I’ve seen of them over the last 3 years or so - do they not care about their adorable daughter? I only even know what Dad looks like because I saw him yesterday at the examination, while I can only vaguely remember my mother as a quiet, delicate woman…
 
Maven looked down at her tiny limbs and pudgy maple leaf hands before moving those hands up to her face, squeezing her chubby cheeks.
 
I’m definitely adorable, after all. Shayna always tells me so and big sis Shayna wouldn’t lie to me!
 
…… Big sis? Why would I call someone less than 10 years old ‘big sis,’ of all things?
 
Maven childishly tilted her head to the side while her eyes bunched up in thought, thinking about her dearest (and only) friend and personal maid. Shayna was one of the few faces she had seen in her three short years living on Avalon.
 
On a day to day basis, at least 90% of her time was spent alone with Shayna. Shayna would be the one to clean the room, dress her, as well as feed her. When Maven would cry, it was Shayna who picked her up in surprisingly strong arms. When Maven was lonely, it was Shayna who would play with her. When it was time to go to bed, Shayna would read her stories.
 
It must be because she's been secretly making me call her ‘big sis’ when we’re alone together since the moment I could talk. It’s so embarrassing, as an adult with over 20 years worth of memories, to call a child like her ‘big sis’ - but I really can’t seem to think of her as an anything other than an older sister.
 
With perfect timing, the door to her bedroom flung open and Shayna cheerfully bounced into the room, carrying a tray laden with food. Seeing Maven awake and sitting up on the bed, Shayna grinned happily and brought the tray over before laying it down on a table near the bed.
 
Even now, with her memories and power returned to her, Maven wanted nothing more than to jump off the bed and into Shayna’s arms.
 
Despite holding herself back, Maven still couldn’t resist smiling happily while saying, “Big sis!”
 
Shayna, clearly pleased with the adorably smiling child in front of her, responded with a mature smile that didn’t match her age.
 
“Fufu… So the sleepy young miss finally decided to wake up. Just look at you, you wander off to the Church without me and you end up causing quite the commotion. You were just supposed to get your attributes examined and you somehow end up causing a commotion across the entire capital.”
 
At Shayna’s reminder of the events in the Church, Maven’s face went pale. She had completely forgotten the results of the examination in the confusion of her returning memories. Holding hair head in consternation, Maven’s thought flew into a spiral of depression.
 
Oh god! I wanted to be low-key. I wanted to quietly, secretly, and covertly go through my life. Sure, I knew it might be difficult… but I thought if I crept around like a ninja, kicking butt and taking names, it just might be possible to end things quietly. Or at the very least, that I might be able to stay low-key until I was old enough to run off… but what can a three-year old do about this?! These tiny legs of mine can’t run anywhere. And, even worse than the commotion caused by that accidental blessing, that baldy Pope said he wanted to make me the Saintess - didn’t he?! A child as the Saintess - he’s crazy!
 
Shaking her head in despair, Maven allowed her dark thoughts to get the better of her - until Shayna stepped in to give her a sudden hug.
 
With Maven in her arms, Shayna patted her soothingly on the head while softly saying, “It’s okay, Maven. Your big sis is here for you. No matter what happens or where you go, I’ll always be by your side.”
 
Maven’s eyes watered up at Shayna’s comforting words and she hugged Shayna back as hard as she possibly could while tears ran down her cheeks.
 
Ah… so this is why she’s the big sis… I’ve never had someone I could rely on like this before. Someone who would hug me when I’m sad and treat me like a person… I think I’ll stay here like this for a little while longer; no need to worry about being the Saintess, the Church, those weird goddesses, or even the end of the world - just enjoy this time here with my beloved big sis.
 
Comments, feedback, and suggestions are always appreciated. Things are going to start picking up steam from here. Thanks for reading! XD

104