Ch. 41 – Gossip ~ Meeting the Saintess?! Pt. 2
1.5k 6 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The carriage soundlessly came to a stop once we reached our destination, the main Church. The driver of the horseless carriage opened the door for us and motioned for us to descend. Strengthening my arms with water magic again, I picked mom up and made my way to the Church.

At the foot of the central stairs, a white-haired priestess in opulent robes stood. Clearly waiting to receive us, the beautiful woman turned a dazzlingly gentle smile in my direction. I could feel my face redden and heartbeat quicken as she did so, her overwhelming beauty almost taking my breath away.

“Welcome to the Church of Light, Vance. I am the Saintess’ aid, Fae, and I’m honored to meet you. Mrs. Tyra too, the Saintess is looking forward to meeting you.”

Flustered, I couldn’t help but bob my head over and over again, desperately trying to show my respect to someone so important. Even my mother agitatedly waved her hand with as much strength as her weak body could muster.

“N-No…… it’s us who is honored. You’re known far and wide as the Saintess’ right hand woman, Fae.”

Grinning at my response, Fae motioned for me to bring my mother inside the Church. Desperately attempting to keep up with her elegant strides, we followed her up the stairs and into the the main hall of the Church. I did my best to avoid looking like a country bumpkin, forcing my eyes away from the statues, murals, and myriad magic baubles visible as we passed by.

Luckily, Ms. Fae quickly led us away from the hustle and bustle and into a side hall. A few minutes walk down the hall, our little group ended up in front of a nondescript wood door.

“We’re here, you two. The Saintess is waiting for you inside.”

This news surprised me, I had assumed she was taking us to a waiting room. The Saintess occasionally brings in large groups of people to do a group healing. I certainly never expected to get a one-on-one meeting with the Saintess herself.

“R-Really? Mom! Can you believe it? We get to meet the Saintess! She’s going to help you… Oh, thank the Goddess!”

Even mom looked flustered at the thought. It was honestly good to see her demonstrating such clear emotion. Over the last few years, her illness had sapped so much energy from her that she spent most of the day in a fugue state. Nobody could tell us what was wrong with her. Not the healing priests, the alchemists, or even the arrogant researchers - not a soul could determine what ailed her.

“Fufu, no need to be nervous, you two.” Fae said with an iridescent smile, opening the door as she spoke, “Go on in, Maven awaits you.”

Taking a deep breath, I resolutely crossed the threshold into the room - finally coming face to face with the Saintess.

“Welcome!”

An oddly energetic cry greeted my mother and I when we entered, at complete odds with the solemn atmosphere I had been expecting. It came from the little girl sitting on the grand soda at the far end off the room, the Saintess herself.

The black-haired, grey-eyed little girl appeared about six years of age, dressed to the nines in a pure white robe liberally decorated with the shining gold and radiating a divine atmosphere. That saintly child was currently sporting a wide grin and energetically waving her hand in greeting - causing both my mother and me to blink in surprise.

“Hurry up, come on in you two. Don’t be shy! Let’s get you healed and have a talk.”

A slighter older maid girl motioned us to the sofa across from the Saintess, where I gently laid my mother down before standing off to the side. After that, I just awkwardly looked around, not quite sure where to put my hands.

“S-So, S-Saintess, can you really heal my mother?” I stuttered out desperately, voice choked with the thought of mom finally getting the help she needs.

“That’s the plan!” the Saintess said with a carefree grin.

“I don’t want to doubt you Saintess, but I just struggle to believe it… So many priests, mages, and alchemists have all failed to heal me. My son has worked so hard, for so long, just to keep me alive..... I don't want to cause him any more pain.” Mom softly spoke to the Saintess, voice quavering with both hope and doubt.

“Just let me help you, Tyra, Vance. The world needs good people like you. I need good people like you.”

Why would the Saintess need someone like mom or me?

“Give me a moment to whip up some magic and you’ll be good as new. Let me show you what the Saintess can do!” The small girl said with a confident grin on her face.

56