Ch. 50 – Aside ~ A King’s Worry, A Ruler’s Ambition
1.6k 15 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

King Oswin Drayfan sat in his decadently decorated office, pondering the future. As the king of the most powerful nation in the world, the decisions he made in this quiet room could shape the flow of the world. Currently, the primary subject of concern for him was the shining star of the Holy Kingdom of Light - Saintess of the Church, Maven of House Daegal.

“What a pain in my neck…… It’s been twelve years since that little girl was inducted as the Saintess. The doe-eyed child that used to be solidly under the kingdom’s thumb has now become a force to be reckoned with, that could rival even the royal house in its entirety. I can’t believe I used to think she’d be a convenient weapon against the demons. Something must have been wrong with my eyes, because she’s really become a thorn in my side.”

“Would you like me to take care of her, Your Majesty?” An ethereal, feminine voice drifted in from behind the King. If anybody else had been in the room, they would have seen a woman blink into existence the second the King spoke aloud. This woman was clad head to toe in tattered grey rags that completely obscured her appearance and silhouette.

Sighing, the King shook his head, “That would be a poor move. For now, at least, her position is far too secure. Even if you could somehow take her down, she would just become a martyr… If the citizens ever learned that I had anything to do with it, I could very well lose the throne. Those potions, her charity work, and those blasted Wings of the Saintess - those are her bastions of support. Not to mention, she’s got those uncountable ‘friends’ spread out in pretty much every organizations you care to name. Unless we can turn some of those people against her, she’s untouchable. I still don’t understand how she managed to build such a dedicated support base when she’s been locked in the Church or the Ducal estate her whole life.”

“You’re not the kind of man to let someone get away with this, Your Majesty. I know Duke Daegal and the Church have held you back thus far, but surely you have a plan to deal with her.” The grey woman said with an ice cold voice.

Hearing his spy master’s confidence, King Oswin’s lips gradually lifted until he was sporting cruel and bloody smile.

“Hehehe, you know me so well. I heard the most interesting piece of information from the Duke of Raktos, that petty old man.”

“Oho… It must be quite the juicy bit of info if you think so highly of it. It must also have been especially well hidden, since I’m completely unaware of it. I should know everything that occurs in this kingdom. Based on my intelligence, that naive young girl is just a vapid do-gooder. Exactly the pure saintess the rumors claim to be. Her father and the Pope are quite the characters, but she should be squeaky clean.” The grey woman said in interest, her rags writhing around in accordance with her thoughts.

“You’d certainly be correct, if I were referring to her actions or character. However, she’s been hiding something about her power…… The kind of secret that, should it be revealed, will turn the half world against her. The Church, the nobles, anybody with a lick of sense will oust her from her position for us. We won’t have to lift a finger.” An excited gleam could be seen in the King’s ice cold eyes as he spoke.

“So, what’s the plan?”

“I’ve got a little surprise planned for my birthday festival, just next month. I’ve asked the Saintess to grace us with her presence, blessing the nobles and the crowd. While she’s on stage, let’s say I have a little surprise in store for her……” The King said while rubbing his hands together.

“When would you like me to eliminate her?” The woman asked with a wintry voice.

“There’s no need for that…… Strong as you might be, I worry about your odds of success when it comes to taking down that anomalous Saintess. Not only does she possess an obscene amount of magic herself, but she’s practically always surrounded with skilled magicians and priests. Heaven knows what that fairy of hers is hiding as well…… No, rather than the hard approach, let’s isolate her from the people and gradually allow them to forget her.” The King continued as he wrote out the orders necessary to put his plan into action.

“It’s quite unlike you to be so timid…” The woman said as the clothe wrapping her body writhed in anger.

Preparations complete to bring down the Saintess, just a few letters, the King rose from his desk while saying, “Let’s knock that snot-nosed kid from her pedestal. She’ll end up rotting in a dungeon or collapsed in a barren wilderness. Either way, the Saintess will fade from people’s memory and my authority will be secure. Once she’s been forgotten, then you can take care of her. I’d like to get this taken care of before the Lilith Mountains open up, the upcoming war with the demons is my primary concern. I will be the one to complete the Drayfan House’s longstanding wish.”

 

We pick back up with the main story at the next chapter.... Look forward to it, we're just about at the climax of the first arc!

54