Ch. 57 – The Changing World?
1.5k 3 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Of course we’ll help! Let’s make a better world, together!”

Moved by Kannon’s theatrics, the majority of the people shouted their agreement. Without thinking too deeply about how sincere these people actually were, Maven was pleased they’d at least put on the facade. It meant there was hope for the future.

《Now, really bring it home Kannon…… If we can get all the people of the capital on our side, we can finally leave the capital with a clear conscience.》 Maven said to Kannon.

Responding to Maven’s wishes, Kannon flung an arm in Maven’s direction - causing the people attention to shift from the goddess.

As the people looked at Maven, Kannon said, “This, is Maven! You surely know her well… She is the first Saintess to be chosen and supported by two gods since time immemorial. Henna and I asked her to help us save the world. She graciously accepted. Please support her in the future, don’t allow hatred to win.”

《You’re acting a bit too big for your britches, Kannon…… You’re using my power right now, to put on your little act.》 Maven said, pouting. Intellectually, she understood that the people would respect a god more than a human, but to didn’t feel great to have someone stand over you like that - goddess or not.

《Sorry, sorry! You want the people on your side no matter what, right? Isn’t a Divine Charter the fastest way to do that? We’ve spent the last decade or so laying the groundwork, after all.》 Kannon said.

《You may be right…… but I’m definitely going to pull your cheeks later. I’m going to pull them completely apart. Prepare yourself!》 Maven said with a sigh.

Kannon tried to ignore Maven’s threat, but her cheeks and eyebrow were twitching up a storm. Nobody noticed, because all eyes were currently on Maven.

Used to the gaze of others by now, Maven composedly addressed the crowd. “People of the Holy Kingdom, I’ve worked hard here in the capital for more than a decade. I’ve fought corruption wherever I found it, promoted peace wherever possible, and helped those in need at any opportunity I could find. You all have helped me too, here in the capital, and I love you for it.”

“Ohh!!!”

The people stared at her with sparkling eyes, remembering all the ways Maven had touched their life. Almost every single person in the capital had been helped by her, however indirectly, at least once over the last twelve years.

“But now, my people, the world is on the cusp of a great change. An oncoming disaster. If I do nothing, war will break out, the demons will die, a goddess will disappear, and the world will end. I have to act. We have to act. So, it’s time for me to go on a journey-”

“NO!!!”

Screams of despair and denial tore their way out of hundreds of throats. Their Saintess was leaving? Completely unacceptable. For the last twelve years, Maven had served as a comforting presence to all who lived within the capital walls - a talisman to ward off all illness and injury. The idea of losing that talisman terrified the people. Certainly more than the thought of some nebulous war.

“Calm down, calm down…… I promise, everything will be okay. I always knew this day would come, so I prepared. You will be taken care of. Not only will the Wings of the Saintess remain here in the capital to heal help, but the Sage will aid you all in my stead. With the potions and magic items we worked together to create, you will all be completely safe. Through them, I will still be here to heal you.” Maven declared with utmost grace.

Soothed by her words, the crowd settled down. Pleased by this development, Maven channeled her own divinity to cast a blessing of her own.

“Now, before I go, one last blessing from me!” Maven shouted while raising her hands and sending out a typhoon of power and divinity.

Receiving the divine blessings from three goddesses in a single day, the people were quite lucky. Pleased with her work for the day, Maven called Fae, Shayna, and the goddesses to her side.

“Goodbye, everyone! While I’m gone, take care of yourselves!” Maven said as she used her power to bring her group into the air. A group of beautiful women and girls made a sudden and unexpected departure while gracefully riding through the air, making for quite the sight to the dumbfounded people below.

Maven smiled down at the people as they rose hundreds of meters high, Shayna clutching her sleeve in fear all the while.

Once they rose out of sight, Maven let out a sigh and gave the two goddesses an accusatory glare as she said, “Now…… that was quite the mess.”

“Umm…… Milady…… Is it really okay for us to just leave like this?” Shayna asked hesitantly.

“Well…… We had planned to leave sometime this year anyway. Why not today?” Maven replied tiredly.

“The capital’s going to be in chaos…… Shouldn’t we at least stay behind to settle the mess?” Fae replied in a calm voice.

“It’s fine, it’s fine!” Henna replied in a carefree tone. “All we really needed to do was plant the seed of doubt, keep anybody from proceeding with any wars as we make our way over to the demon race.”

“A seed of doubt? We practically set off a bomb down there! It’s going to be complete chaos…” Kannon said hesitantly.

“It’s okay! Have faith in all the hard work we put in over the years. The Wings of the Saintess will hold down the fort for us. We spent so long connecting all those priests, alchemists, merchants, and bureaucrats - it’s time for them to put in some work for us. Believe in them!” Henna said with her chest puffed proudly.

“I also just didn’t want to deal with the mess…… I don’t even want to imagine the flood of people who’d come running to the Church if we didn’t hightail it out of there. Better to just head over to the demon race and let things cool down in the mean time.” Maven said with a despondent face, clearly dreading the fallout she’d eventually have to deal with.

“Fufu, you did well, my Goddess.” Fae said with a giggle. “No matter where you go or what you do, I’ll be with you!”

““Yeah!”” Everyone shouted with a cheer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unbeknownst to Maven or the goddesses, a nearly invisible purple mist slowly wafted its way into the capital after their departure. Unnoticed by all, that mist went about sneakily infiltrating the bodies of every man, woman, and child who had been party to today’s miraculous events.

“Excellent… With that blasted Saintess gone, I finally have unfettered access to the capital.” An androgynous, serpentine voice spoke with glee. “I was worried they’d never leave. I can’t wait to have some fun here, hehehehe!”

The strange power contained within that mist immediately went to work, bending the hearts and minds of all it touched - weakening their impression of today’s events. For everyone except Maven’s most die-hard believers, their memory of the miracles wrought today disappeared behind a thin purple fog.

The owner of the strange voice intended to not only wipe today’s events from history, but take this opportunity to bend an entire nation to its will. However, it couldn’t predict the effect that Maven’s divinity would have on its efforts.

48