Ch. 60 – An Unexpected Event Pt. 1
1.1k 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun shone with a warm orange glow as Maven and company merrily walked down the path leading away from the capital. Despite having spent the last several hours on their feet, nobody showed so much as a hint of fatigue on their face.

Rather, they all appeared to full of energy and pleased to finally be on their adventure. Maven had been dreaming about this day for all of her two lives. The goddesses were just happy at this opportunity to explore the world they helped to create. Fae and Shayna, they were mostly happy because Maven was happy - though they were also looking forward to getting out of the capital.

“I can’t believe how useful those little pseudo-golems of yours are, miss.” Shayna said, breaking the silence as she marveled at the score of gorgeous birds flying above their heads. They certainly made for quite the sight, radiating the aura of overbearing lords of the sky.

“Hehehe, I told you they would be! I spent so long thinking about and preparing for the day I get out of that stuffy church. No need to be shy, you can admit I’m awesome!” Maven said, spinning around in circles like a child as she romped through the grass on the side of the road.

Ever since the striking moment Maven had created those first two pseudo-golems, Maven had been steadily adding to their number - making one after another as they walked. Not only did she like to keep her hands busy, but these efforts also helped to keep them safe and comfortable.

These birds helped the group by serving as everything from scouts, to gatherers, and even hunters. Some carried water within their hollow bodies, others went go collect fruit and foot, while others kept a vigilant eye on the surroundings.

Composed out of the purest life and death attribute magic, Maven’s pseudo-golems could keep food and water fresh and clean almost eternally.

“Of course, you’ve always been amazing! I just didn’t know you were this amazing…. Though I honestly should have expected it.” Fae said with a happy chuckle. “It’s quite amazing, the way you’ve given life to magic itself. If the Sage knew about this, he’d go mad with glee.”

“That’s exactly why I didn’t say anything,” Maven said a horrified shiver. “If he knew about this, he’d try tie me to a chair and start grilling me for hours. The thought of that bearded old man going crazy over a new research project again is more than a little horrifying.”

As they spoke, one of the birds suddenly descended from the sky. This particular bird looked like a huge, pitch black raven. Different from that first white dove Maven had created, this one had been crafted with Maven’s darkness and death attributes as the base.

This made it exceptionally well suited to scouting, having been granted the innate ability to sense mortal danger and those injured in the vicinity through Maven’s power. The limited artificial intelligence Maven’s divinity imbued it with even allowed it communicate and report on potential threats.

“What’s wrong?” Shayna asked curiously, fully aware of this raven’s special ability.

《Danger! Death! Danger! Elves. Under. Attack.》 A flat, robotic voice resounded through everyone’s head.

“What?? We have to help them! Where are they?! Lead us to ‘em!” Kannon said eagerly, clearly rather excited at this unexpected chance to get into some trouble. Her little wings stirred up the air in tune with her emotion.

《Follow.》 The raven said flatly while flapping its wings softly, indicating the direction that they should go.

“Well, let’s get to it, I guess.” Maven said with a resigned sigh, idly wondering whether she might be jinxed. Not even five hours after leaving the capital, trouble came to find her. Elves under attack not too far off the road? It sounded like quite the ill omen of things to come.

The raven lead them through the grassy hills for about thirty minutes, until the sounds of battle could be heard ringing through the air.

“Hehehe, you’re coming with us, little girl!” A man’s cruel voice could be heard in the distance.

“Nooooooo!” A woman’s scream resounded through the air, somehow ringing like a crystal bell despite being tainted by her obvious terror.

Hearing this kicked Maven and company into high gear. Kannon flapped her wings with all her might and Maven sent herself rocketing forward with magic, sending those two far ahead of the others.

“Let’s go, Kannon!” Maven shouted high-spiritedly.

“Yeah! Let’s smack down some baddies!”

 

Busy Season at work is finally over! Things should get back to normal and the update speed is definitely going to pick up compared to the last few weeks.

38