Ch. 67 – Maven Meets Her Match Pt. 2
965 4 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oho,” The boy said with a raised brow. Consternation visible on his face over the failure of his opening gambit, he continued. “To stop the blow of this Nikol, I did not think it would be possible.”

“Hehe, you’re not getting through us that easily!” Kannon said cockily, feeling a little too big for her britches after Maven successfully blocked the first blow of the Apostle.

“The Apostle’s Piercing Blow was stopped?!” The tattooed man cried, positively flabbergasted. Having served the organization for years, he had never seen anything that could block a blow from someone granted with Lidar’s sacred power. The space attribute could penetrate absolutely anything.

“You, useless man, shut your mouth.” The boy replied tersely, clearly displeased at having his failures pointed out. “Don’t think I’ve forgotten about your failures. Once I’m done dealing with these fools, you’re definitely in for it.”

The tattooed man’s face turned ghastly pale under the force of the Apostle’s fierce scolding. In his experience, those unlucky people who incurred the displeasure of an Apostle tended not to live very long. Those who fail their missions tend to live even less.

Maven, pleased that her defensive spell managed to protect her friends, then moved onto offense. She didn’t have much in the way of live combat experience to guide her, but years of tutelage under two goddesses, a combat maid, and a former spy certainly gave her a good foundation.

With her raw power and education, Maven was a bundle of raw talent - just waiting to be tempered in the fires of battle.

Divinity functioned as a pretty omnipotent force in Avalon, there was little that plain old magic could do to affect it in any significant way. Not when exercised through mortal means.

No matter how special space magic might be, no matter the fact that such an attribute ran contrary to the nature of Avalon as created by the gods, there was little that humans could do to intrude on the domain of gods. At least, not without the help of an outside force.

“I see I’ll have to get serious in order to deal with you lot.” The boy said with a crack of the knuckles and a roll of the neck.

As if to prove how serious he would be getting, the boy channeled the divinity his ‘two-bit god’ had bestowed upon him - demonstrating exactly why the tattooed man called him ‘Apostle.’

“Let’s see if you can stop this!” The boy said as he used his god’s power to shatter the dimensional walls, causing space itself to fragment into little tiny shards all around him. He then used the divinity he had been granted to pick up those broken little pieces of the world. Then, using a sticky mixture of magic and divinity, the boy somehow forged himself an aberrantly cruel whip.

“How fascinating!” Henna said in half-admiration, finding the boy’s magic to be very interesting. Space magic was not native to this world, after all, so she certainly had never seen someone craft a weapon from it before.

“That’s quite the brutal weapon you’ve got there,” Maven said, trying to put on a brace face. Nothing Henna or Kannon taught her had prepared her for this, so Maven was thinking the smart move would be to try and bulldoze her way through it with sheer power.

Imagination being such a big component of magic, Maven jumped straight to relying the most powerful creature she could imagine. Her first move was to create a massive simulacrum with her magic in the shape of a white dragon, using the same trick she had shown off earlier that day. Realizing how effective divinity had proven against the previous attack, she made sure to include an extra large dollop of it in the dragon.

*ROOOAR*

With a great cry, a beautiful white dragon sprung into action, leaping towards the boy. Brow twitching in discomposure, the boy swung his whip at the charging beast.

*SCRIKK*

With the ugly sound of tearing metal, the whip and dragon collided in mid-air. The dragon slammed into the ground while the cruel looking whip was flung off in the opposite direction - neither seeming to have the advantage over the other. Divinity versus divinity, now the boy possessed a weapon with the potential to pierce Maven’s defenses.

“Go get ‘em, Mr. Lizard!” Kannon shouted encouragingly, acting like a cheerleader from her position in the back. She somehow managed to rustle up some pom-poms to wave around as she spectated the kaiju battle, greatly emboldened after Maven got off one good spell.

 

Shout out to my two newest patrons: Katherine and Icewing! Reader support means the world to me.

 

Enjoy the chapter! I've been having a lot of fun writing Maven's first battle, hope you do too XD

36