8 ~ [Jealousy]
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

8

[Jealousy]

Edmund Eyris

And again I’m here at Blue Fin. The place is more quieter than usual. I’m served a drink again by the nice waitress. She looks as if she’s worked her a long time. As I ask her something, she looks at me with a light flush on her face. She’s a fish-human, like most of the waiters here.  But she has a different skin than blue. Let’s say she’s more human. A tall, pointy-like human with fish features.

I look away from her as she answers, and afterwards she tries small gestures to grab my attention. Strange woman... But I notice that Claud has entered his counter, and I watch him.

He’s gotten more skinnier since the first day we’ve met. His skin seems a lighter shade of blue, but under his eyes are quite dark. Is he sick today? My poor Claudio. Maybe I shouldn’t bother him today.

But the waitress taps me on the shoulder. She leaves, and another waiter takes her place.

Guess who it is.

He stares at me as I sip my drink. What an idiot.

“What do you want, Maverick.”

“No need to be formal. Call me Mavy.”

“Maverick.” I sigh. If you keep following me around, you’ll have to stick to my rules.

“By the way, you shouldn’t talk to that other girl” Maverick suddenly says. What does he mean? Oh, the waitress who just served me. I roll my eyes. I always get attention from girls. It’s tiresome really...

Maverick begins to whisper to me. He tells me that the waitress is quite a schemer, always making trouble for the other employees. Even though she is good at her job, her ways around people are quite unhealthy.

She has been very hospitable to me, but maybe she could just be a sassy woman. I’m in no need to care about it. She’s just doing her job.

Maverick and I continue to talk for a while, and more people have come to drink at the counters. Maverick continues yapping about him and Claudio going on “dates”. Liar. How could Claudio and he be alike in anyway? Of course I’d be more fit to be Claud’s date. I’m tall and handsome, whoever will look my way! Ah whatever. He’s just being his weird self.

“Just shut up. I don’t need to hear about you two’s personal lives.”

“Oohhh... someone’s jelly...”

“Not.”

“Hmmmmm I see it in your face!”

I push the half-filled cup to him, and he grabs it to wash.

Then we sit in silence hearing all the noises. There seems to be more chatter. I wonder what’s going on. I look over and see Claudio again, near his counter, but strangely with that other waitress. Did someone spill something? He says sorry. There is a broken glass and Claudio looks down at it, but then comes a slap on his face. Why?

She seems to be scolding him quite hard, pinching his cheeks and picking at his hair. Maybe he‘s trouble. But he’d never make any mistakes like that before.

“Maverick.”

“Yes?”

“Make me a Red Dragon will you?”

“On the duty, Sir Eddy!”

“Edmund.”

“‘Kay funny face.”

So I flip a 20 dollar bill at him and his eyes sparkle.

I wondering what’s with this waitress’ attitude. Walking over, I see more clearly now. She has spilt liquid on her shirt. Claudio has a red cheek -I mean blue cheek- and his eye bags are more apparent now. The woman then pours a glass of ice cold water on him. He’s practically shaking. Is that how you bully someone these days?

He looks up at me, but he looks away. Everyone is looking away. But his expression is heartbreaking. How could I?

I put a hand on her shoulder, and she turns. “Oh Edmund!” She smiles and blushes yet again. Yet the smile is ugly now that I see her. “I was just teaching this waiter some manners! Don’t mind it-“

“You should get yourself washed up. Your shirt is all soaked”, I say, looking away from her.

She shutters, looks at Claudio, and then at me again. And then she leaves. Claudio kneels and picks up the broken glass.

“Oh Claudio... what happened?”

I help him with the glass. He smiles like he always does. “Nothing... I accidentally bumped into her while getting an order...” His eyes are watering. Is he really getting this treatment here? Ah. I look at his swollen face. He seems like he’s used to it, but he’s hurting inside. Maybe I’ll talk to the manager in secret. That woman probably did this to the others co-workers too. But never to my Claudio! I grab a small handkerchief from my pocket to wipe his cheek. He looks up, startled for a second, but takes it.

“Oh, thanks...”

He needs to change clothing. Underneath the shirt, he wears a thin tang top... I peak at his collarbone once again. He sure is petit and cute... Ah, I need to stop that. He gives back the handkerchief, but I tell him to keep it.

People around us whisper. “Is that the rich guy from the magazine?” I don’t care. Whatever they say won’t do anything. I grab Claudio’s hand as he puts his tray on the counter. We go to the bathroom down the hallway.

“Edmund? Where are we going?”

“You have to wash up. I’ll ask someone to bring you fresh clothes.”

He suddenly blushes a deep hue of blue, looking away from me. I wonder why he’s so silent, but that’s alright. I shouldn’t push him if he’s tired.

As the day goes by, he gets ready to leave. He looks so tired. Does he take the bus here? That must be hard to do every day. Maybe he’ll need a ride home.

I suggest to him, “I’ll take you home if you want” but he shakes his head, saying no. I guess not yet. It’s too early... He leaves for the night once again.

I worry about him.

So I talk to the manager late that day. Surly, by MY means, they’ll fire her. As I shear from the manager, Claudio is almost always quiet, so she cared about him. She understands Claudio’s needs, but she says Claud never complains. Workaholic possibly? He’ll need more rest. I hope he can today.

1