Chapter 27: Growth
170 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kami stared at the red yeti Huso who was releasing Fuwa.

"You must defeat me how you are" the yeti laughed

Kami stepped back. He knew how dangerous fuwa was and that aether alone can't match that. Regardless Kami had to he released his aura and put heavy amounts into Asura. Huso teleported to Kami and kicked him around. Kami felt the warm heat of the black fire repeatedly covering his body.

"The first stage is seeing me" Huso explained whilst he teleported around frantically and kicked Kami from above.

Kami was confused. He could see him but only when he wasn't teleporting. What more is there to see? Kami kept watching Huso as he launched his heavy attacks against Kami. He couldn't even defend in time. His aura was the only thing keeping him alive. Kami watched as his opponent ended up at one side the room to the next.

Huso teleported directly in front of him and faded away. It was a feint. This move made it seem like Huso travelled straight through his opponents. Kami jumped back out of shock and swung behind him out instinct. Huso blocked the attack with his claws.

"So you predicted where I was going to be. No that's not right. You assumed I would be behind you" Huso deduced

Kami moved closer and swung his sword again slashing hard against the wall with his aura dissipating.

"Oh. The walls and ceiling are made out of a special material. Similar stuff used to make legendary and above weapons. It's not breakable so you can't escape" Huso explained

Kami never thought about escaping because Huso could teleport and catch him but at least he knew. This meant even Huso's attacks were resistant as well.

Kami continued to get bashed around and felt his aura weakening each time. But there was a change. It was slight but Kami could predict where Huso was going. He followed a pattern of where he moved to. Kami got thrashed about a bit but continued to verify this was true. Then he began to defend.

Huso began moving then teleported on the left side of Kami. He went to slash him with his claws but Kami guarded with Asura. Huso kept going with his pattern but Kami continued to block. Huso realised the change and did his special feint again. Kami was prepared.

"You're behind me!" Kami shouted as he turned around and slashed the ground

But Huso was off to the right of Kami and kicked him away.

"So you still can't see me. At least you can predict me. This is the first stage, if you don't clear this in time you will have no aura and will end up dead" Huso voiced "Guess I'll fight properly now"

Kami realised that if he was saying this, that there was more to his teleportation than he could currently understand. Huso stopped being predictable and Kami was back in the same place as before. Huso wasn't being predictable out of habit, he did it to make things easier for Kami. Each attack had more force behind it than before. Kami felt himself losing aura faster than before. However.

Another ten minutes into the fight, Kami noticed something again. When Huso moved he started off at the pace Kami himself moved at, then he got faster and disappeared. He was unsure of what this meant but continued to observe. After each attack Huso did the same thing each time.

"Huso was it? You aren't teleporting are you?" Kami asked smuggly

"No. I'm not. But I've been watching you, it doesn't matter if you know the truth if your eyes still can't keep up" Huso laughed

"So this is the first stage huh. To see you" Kami said as he tightened his grip around his sword.

Kami could see the start but nothing more. He watched the slight build up but his eyes couldn't keep up. He disappeared in the blink of an eye. Wait. Blink of an eye! Kami finally realised what was going on. Huso WAS speeding up faster than he could see but he was specifically waiting for Kami to blink each time to mask himself making it even harder to spot him each time.

During the thirteen milliseconds it takes Kami to blink, Huso was moving into his blinds spots each time. Kami for the next few attacks didn't blink. He could see Huso even more slightly but it made little difference since he sped up faster than his eyes could compute anyway.

Their battle progressed and Kami continued to lose aura at alarming speeds but Huso noticed Kami was slowly but surely keeping up with him.

"Do your eyes still believe I'm teleporting?" Huso smiled as he moved into Kami's blind spot.

"No" Kami responded as he watched Huso's every movement with his eyes.

"I am not as fast as Huso but I can still teleport. See through it" Hikos said disappearing before Liliana

Liliana had very good eyes due to her watching her arrows when she shoots from her bow. When she switched to aura arrows, the arrows had no weight so they moved faster making her eyes even more accustomed to high speeds. Hikos was barely moving to Liliana the majority of the time.

Hikos moved slowly and had a fast gradual build up. Liliana could see all of it except the end where Hikos looks like she is teleporting to her. But she could predict where he was going from the rest. She was able to dodge each move relatively easily.

"I see your eyes. They are good. I was never teleporting from the start and you saw through that but your eyes haven't yet. You aren't there yet" Hikos realised

"Yes. I knew you weren't teleporting but I can still predict where you are going to go" Liliana responded

The battle didn't take long for Liliana to see everything he was doing.

Lynx was special. He was paired up with the slowest moving one but Ullak was by far not slow at all. But Ullak still struggled to hit Lynx.

"Can you see me move?" Ullak asked

"Move. You're teleporting aren't you?" Lynx asked

Ullak gave no response. He was highly confused as to why he couldn't hit Lynx. The reason was because of Lynx's instincts. They were so good at sensing danger that he unconsciously moved away from danger each time. His instincts were why Lynx could defend against most attacks he's ever received and when he wasn't blovking. He was dodging. Ullak decided to tell him.

"You must first see me for this to end. I am not teleporting. Our fight will be over when you notice this" Ullak explained

Lynx thought about it.

"Does it matter if I can sense where you're coming from anyway? I know where you are going to go before you even moved there" Lynx responds

Ullak is shocked but not surprised. His movements evading him made it make sense. However Ullak was determined to show that wouldn't save him anymore.

"I will try something different on you. I will force you to find me" Ullak smiled

Ullak rushed in and attacked Lynx. Lynx evaded but as he was moving away he was hit by Ullak.

"Nani!" Lynx shouted "You hit me. How?!"

"Before I was trying to attack and then move away. Everytime you moved away I stopped. This time I kept going" Ullak explained "You could dodge me before because you could tell where I was going to go. You don't have the time now. Find me"

James was in a slight predicament. Before he was caught off guard so they all looked like they were teleporting but James' eyes couldn't be fooled for long. However naturally it was impossible for the yeti's to catch him off guard every time. When they were moving people around they knew James was the strongest so they moved only when he blinked meaning he would still think they were teleporting unless in a drawn out battle like now.

That was good. He knew they weren't teleporting but they problem wasn't how fast they moved. It was there fuwa. James' fuwa was locked away in a ring by Djuk making fighting extremely hard.

"James. You must beat me in battle with what you have" Djuk laughed "You are very skilled so I had to push you ahead. You should be done or dead by the end of this"

James matched each attack with his longsword but he felt himself losing aether eac time. He removed it and fought solely with his bare weapon.

"No no no James. If you do that I won't hit your blade" Djuk laughed as he kicked James away.

James felt the heat from the nether covering him. He was slightly burned but it didn't matter much James could keep going. James and Djuk's aether was equal but since he couldn't release nether he took direct damage from it. His only solution for dealing with it was moving away from Djuk and making his aether overpower it something he as well as the others had learned was very important against there battles with the yetis.

James listened to the yeti and put his aura back into his weapon. He was planning on monopolising on the fact that his legendary longsword was indestructible but it seems things will be easier for him if he loses all his aura and fights the yeti like that later. But that wasn't given time. Their fight lasted a good thirty minutes but all of James' aura had been sucked dry.

James as also tired and could tell his mental fatigue was affecting the battle.

"Sleep. I will wait until morning" Djuk says as he backs off and sits down "I may not need it but you do. You have lost all your aura and are tired. You must recover. If you just lost all of your aura but were not tired I would kill you right now but it is different"

"Different? What do you mean it is different?" James says as he continues to grip his sword

"I am supposed to let you rest when tired and kill you if you aren't strong enough and are not tired at any moment. Meaning you may rest. Relax, I won't attack you in your sleep but when you awake we resume"

James kept his sword pointed at Djuk. He did not trust the beast after he forced an nether sealing ring on him. Djuk stood up and engaged in battle for a short while with James. He was tired so he eventually showed an opening. Djuk released his aura and slammed James into the ground knocking him out.

"Since you are tired you shouldn't awaken but just to be sure I will hold onto this" Djuk said as he grabbed James' longsword.

His hand began to burn and he immediately put up his fuwa but it did nothing. His hand released steam as he walked away with the sword and put it down next to him.

"So I can block and parry the blade but as a monster I cannot touch this aether orientated weapon's handle? Interesting" Djuk mumbled

"Kami you may sleep. We will continue tomorrow" Huso explained

"Can you answer some of my questions now" Kami said backing up and resting against the wall.

"Sure" Huso responded "A few"

"Who and what is your master?" Kami asked

"I won't answer all your questions until I'm defeated but his name is Paimon. The what will be answered when you beat me" Huso responded

"Why do I have to fight you when I can't even use Fuwa?"

"It's because you can't use fuwa that you get to fight me. To defeat the sins you must be at my level with only aether or you won't stand a chance"

How many tiers of training do I have to get through?"

"Let's see. It depends on you really. You have done one, from what I've seen you won't skip any so you have three more but you probably won't get the last two done in one day"

"What is Paimon's connection to the sins?"

"No more questions. Sleep, beat the next tier and you may ask. Do not worry, I was ordered to train you and kill you if you fail but only if you fail. Sleep is your only period of rest"

After this everyone were ordered by the yetis to rest and fell asleep swifty.

After resting for his full hour of sleep(Remember that was his wish. He only needs an hour of sleep each day) Kami was ready to take on the challenge he was given.

"The next tier is simple. Be able to block my attacks without predicting my movements" Huso explained

Kami understood what Huso meant. Any time so far Kami had blocked a move from Huso he specifically had to predict where he thought the moves were going to go even though he could see Huso now.

Huso pranced around Kami with Kami carefully watching him. He attacked and Kami was sent flying into a wall. He had no time to react to the attack. Even though Kami could see Huso, it was just about.

"I can't move my arms as fast as you can move" Kami sighed

"Well you better learn soon. When your aura runs out you will feel these attacks completely meaning you will die" Huso voiced as he continued to dance around Kami.

Block but it was a miss. Miss, miss, miss. Everytime Kami tried to block Huso he was sent into a different direction. Kami barely managed to lift his sword when Huso had already attacked him.

When Huso was moving Kami was stuck. He couldn't move at the same speed as Huso not even his head. Only his eyes so he remained in one position stuck watching and waiting for the next move.

This continued on for a long while and Kami was losing aura like a bottle with a hole in the bottom. But it wasn't all bad. Kami was slowly but surely moving his arm faster. It was a good thing that Kami decided to wish to learn even faster for each of his wishes because he finally parried one of Huso's attacks faster than Huso was expecting.

"I see you have matured. You can even slightly move the rest of your body whilst parrying my attacks. Impressive. My brothers have told me your friends are doing just as well as you" Huso explained "We can move straight on to the next stage. There won't be fighting involved here"

"There won't?" Kami questioned "Aren't you supposed to make me stronger?"

"Yes but this is the training. You are almost there. You must catch me"

Kami watched as Huso backed himself against the wall and removed his fuwa. He was confused a to why he had to catch Huso but he knew that he couldn't leave unless he did so he sheathed Asura.

"Now. You must catch me three times. You have an unlimited amount of time to do it. You cannot try and trick me, you must be able to catch me with your own speed. Any times you catch me without using your speed will be invalid" Huso explained "To catch me, you must touch me anywhere"

Kami ran straight towards Huso but Huso was already gone. Now that Kami was moving properly again Huso was moving away from his field of vision and it became hard to see him. Kami was too slow to keep up.

"In this dungeon I can run forever meaning trying to wait for my speed to drop is pointless" Huso said as he whizzed around the room

Kami chased after him. Huso was well away from Kami. Kami had been somewhat preserving his energy so he could catch Huso but now that there was no point he sprinted at max speed. Kami moved faster and was closer to Huso but still didn't get even within twenty metres of Huso.

It didn't take long for Kami to burn out and collapse on the floor panting hard.

"This is speed training. You won't be killed by me but if you take too long I will just move you to the next tier making this even harder. Rest all you need and tell me when you're ready to go again. Please do note that I am jogging. I may be able to run forever but that doesn't include sprinting" Huso said crouched down in front of the breathless Kami.

Kami took this to heart. If he wanted to beat Huso he was going to have to be jogging as well or it was pointless.

"I will tell you when I am ready" Kami said standing up

He had trained hard before this but his training wasn't enough. He needed to train so hard that he would break if it wasn't for his wishes.

Kami did squats until his legs shook and kept going until he couldn't stretch his legs out. He did calf raises until his calves burned heavily and persevered through until his legs quit on him again. Kami repeated all the exercises with single legs and then he did flutter kicks until he couldn't lift his legs anymore. He did burpees until he collapsed on the floor.

After this Kami couldn't move and stayed on the floor with his arms and legs spread out after the burpees and fell asleep to rest faster.

He woke up and repeated this until he thought he was ready to try Huso again. Used watched amused by the efforts Kami put in to challenge him again. By the time Kami decided he wanted to challenge Huso again everyone else was awake and already being trained by their yetis and were midway through their training.

"Huso, let's go" Kami said with a determined look on his face.

5