And I Love Her
1.6k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today’s the day, Monday - the first day I go back to school as a girl. I really shouldn’t have any nerves - even though we haven’t been able to update paperwork and whatnot, my mom and dad were able to get my info updated - how, I’m not sure. Perhaps they just told them I was trans and made the switch last weekend and simply pass really well? It’s probably not like most of the kids at school would know the difference between transition and a full-blown gender tranformation.

Regardless, I’m getting ready to hop on that bus again, though a bit different this time. I’m wearing a cute leather jacket that I bought at Target, along with a white blouse, and skinny blue jeans at recommendation of my sister - though I wasn’t much to complain - I look so cute! As I hop on the bus, I’m getting a LOT of weird looks from the rest of the kids I know - wondering who this strange girl is getting on at Leo’s stop.

I try my best to silence them out, as I find the bench with my girlfriend on it. Sitting down, I kiss her on the cheek quickly, but that doesn’t escape judgement from some of the people around us. It might be that I’ve only been a girl for…2 days, but I’m already forgetting that social behavior for girls is different than boys. What normally would be normal, adorable high school romance is now something new and bold - two girls loving each other. Which, honestly, that idea makes me warm inside, but seems to repulse a certain sub-sect of people. They can believe whatever they want to believe - my girlfriend is too cute to let their judgment keep me away from her.

“Hey Luna, how’s it going - OOH that’s a cute outfit you’ve got on!”

I can’t help but blush “Oh…er, thanks Lily. It was my sister who picked it out, but she’s got some good taste” I said, fiddling with the collar of my blouse.

“She sure does!”

“Er…Lily?”

“Yeah, Luna?”

“Do you care how…everyone sees us now? You know, us both being-“

“Luna, look at me!”

“Y-yeah?”

She speaks up a bit louder, to the point where she’s not yelling but anyone who should hear her message clearly will “Do you think I’m gonna let some stick in the mud jerks tell me who to love or how to love her?” While saying this, she places a hand on my face, which makes me instantly blush, to which she can only giggle and reply.

“You know what my favorite part of girl you is?”

“W-w-what?” I ask excitedly
“I know how to push your buttons to get the cutest responses out of you!” she says, finishing up with a kiss to the lips.

Holy shit, this is my first kiss! As a girl no less! And it’s with my best friend and girlfriend, Lily! My stomach is doing somersaults and I can barely contain my urge to cuddle her right then and there. Then my conscious brain kicked in and realized we were 2/3 of the way to school and that MAY not be a great idea to do so in a public place. Maybe later!

As soon as I am about to say something back that, the bus pulls up to the school, and it’s time for us all to get off yet again. I can only hope that each teacher has gotten the message about my change, or at the very least, that Leo will no longer be coming to this school, and a female relative of his, Luna will instead. I may have to ask one of my teachers though to let me out early so I can do voice check with my choir teacher. God, this is so exciting!

My first few classes go easy enough. I assume that most if not all of my teachers got a memo this morning regarding my…erm, change, though the language is unknown to me. I wasn’t called on by anybody, and because I normally sat in the back of the room anyways, few people looked at me too hard to notice any similarities. If there was one benefit to the fact that I had few friends before now, this was it.

Before long though, after asking politely, I exit out of Geography 15 minutes early after completing my quiz and make my way to the choir office, knowing that this is Mrs. Wright’s free period. Hoping she’ll allow me, I carefully knock on her office door to have what will clearly be a hard conversation.

See, I love choir - it’s probably my favorite class all day long, and she’s my favorite teacher. While I could really not care less what any of my other teachers or classmates think about me, our choir is a family of sorts, and even though choir lately had been painful to me due to dysphoria, it’s my home at school here. She and the choir deserve me being up-front and honest.

“Oh hi there, young lady, how can I help you?”

I try to fight the blood rushing to my cheeks in blush from distracting me. “Mrs. Wright…I have choir with you next period and I need a range check to find out my new section!”

“Ah, no problem! Come this way!” she says, bringing me back into some of the practice rooms behind her offices, before landing on one near the back with no students playing in it. “So…what was your name again, honey?”

“Erm…Luna. Luna Garcia”.

“Ah, yeah, I got a memo about you this morning. So, can I ask where you transferred from?”

Might as well be honest “Um…I’ve actually been in your choir for the last two years, ma’am”
“Wait…how is that possible? I’ve never seen you before. I did have a Garcia in the choir before, but…”

“That was me”

“How could that be? He sang B-“

“-aritone I, and looked miserable every day he had to sing in that section”

“Wait…no. Leo?”

“No. Well, kinda, not really. Luna’s my name, but I went by Leo up until this weekend”

“I…see. Well, I’m glad you feel brave enough to be yourself! Though I’m not sure why your vocal part would change if…”

“Please trust me, miss. I think it’s changed lately.”

“Well, if you insist. It’ll only take 5 minutes anyways…” her voice trails off, as she starts scribbling things onto her clipboard, back into working teacher mode.

“Alright, lets do some scales.”

And with that, my pseudo-audition began. As much as I’ve loved the sound of my voice while taking these last few days, hearing my voice go up and down in these dizzyingly high registers almost brings a tear to my eye. My singing voice finally sounds like how it’s always supposed to have! I love it!

Scales, vocal exercises, and a rendition of “My Country Tis Of Thee” wrapped up the procedure. Mrs. Wright keeps scribbling but stops to gasp in shock.

“There….there’s no way.” is all she can muster up.

“What’s no way?”

“There’s no way your voice has changed so much? This is insane. You’re a Soprano II now”

“Really? YES!” I squeal in delight, even jumping off the ground a bit, which Mrs. Wright can’t help but chuckle at.

“Yes, well, I’m glad you got in a section you wanted, young lady. Now since you need to relearn parts, you're going to have to sit next to someone, say…Lily for the time being in the Soprano section, so you can get the parts down. Sound good?”

“Sounds AMAZING. Thanks Mrs. Wright!” I shout, as I make my way to gym. Mrs. Wright meanwhile is scratching her head as to how my voice could change so much in only a few days.

If only you knew.

Gym is another treat. I hesitate, but then realize, hey wait a minute, I’m a girl! I can go in here! The excitement is too much honestly for something as mundane as a girls changing room, but I don’t care - it’s just one little validation after another. Once I find my new locker, out of my bag comes a pink tee shirt, shorts, a sports bra and tennis shoes, all thanks to my sister - thanks sis!

Hoping none of the girls around me pay too much attention (and trying not to with them either), I slip on my gym clothes like nobody’s business. Putting on the sports bra initially is a weird feeling but I know I’ll get used to it. The bigger shock honestly is the shorts - these things barely cover my butt! And yet it seemed this was the style most girls were wearing. So I didn’t think about it too much - if anything, it was flattering my rear which I was already proud of. Gym itself was pretty standard, though GOD did it feel good to be on the girls side for the boys vs girls dodgeball game.

The game also allowed me to test the limits of my new body, and I found myself pleasantly surprised. I had never been very fit before, and I still wasn’t an athlete or anything now, but I found my agility, endurance and flexibility to be better than before. Though surprisingly, even though I was weak before, I’m even less strong than I was before. I don’t mind though. This is the body I dreamed of having after all. Between all these thoughts, I got eliminated near the end of the game (that’s the longest I think I’ve ever gone!), but it didn’t matter since I’d eliminated so many guys that it was easy for the girls to kick the guy’s asses! Afterwards, while the guys walk back to their locker room, us girls celebrate a little bit, even for such a small victory. Feeling a part of a big group of girls feels so satisfying!

And finally I make my way back to choir for class. I see Lily had already found her way to the classroom, to which I come to her and sit down next to her to start up a conversation.

“Hey Luna!” she says, kissing my cheek discreetly!

“Hey Lily!” I respond, kissing her cheek as well in a similar manner “guess whose the new Soprano II?” I say, barely able to keep in my excitement.

“No. WAY! That’s so awesome!” She said, and rushes to hug me, which I can’t help but reciprocate. Before long, the room fills up, and the guys are noticing a hole where Leo was sitting, and a new girl sitting next to Lily in the Soprano section. Mrs. Wright seems to take care of this up front, by having me speak in front of the class - I haven’t told anyone at school yet outside my sister and girlfriend, but it was bound to come up eventually. This is where I’m gonna let the beans spill, isn’t it? Honestly, I don’t mind doing so - this is my family after all.

“After opening announcements, I scurry up to the little podium and try to summarize things as quickly and easily as possible, while simultaneously trying not to fiddle with the ends of my leather jacket “Hey, so…my name is Luna Garcia. I might look like and sound like Leo’s sister but…I’m actually him. This is who I am, and I hope you all can accept me as Luna, and a new Soprano. Thanks.” I finish, with a quick little bow, hoping nobody has any objections.

What I don’t expect is all the girls to congratulate me. It seems like all of them congregated around me - like, I knew that choir kids were generally more accepting of this stuff, but I had no idea. After a dozen hugs, and even a few handshakes from the guys, we all sat back down where we were, though with a few girls eying me lovingly. I try my best to focus on the Mrs. Wright while we do warmups, and eventually move into our material - which today meant Stars I Shall Find. Though today, since I wasn’t so focused on not being dysphoric, it let me focus more on the meaning and lyrics of the song, and…I almost started to tear up. I found the lyrics to relatable to where I was just last week:

There will be rest, and sure stars shining
Over the roof-tops crowned with snow,
A reign of rest, serene forgetting,
The music of stillness holy and low.
I will make this world of my devising
Out of a dream in my lonely mind.
I shall find the crystal of peace, – above me
Stars I shall find.

Using the emotionality of the lyrics, and the connection to my life, I give the song new meaning while I sing. And man, does singing feel amazing! It’s not like I’m fulfilling a role in a choir and hitting the notes I need to to make the whole operation work. I’m in my part, with the beautiful voice I’ve always wanted, surrounded by other voices like mine, singing my heart out. That alone would have made me cry. Once class wraps up, I can’t help but turn to Lily’s shoulders and start crying right then and there - I just hope nobody’s looking at me or making fun of me for crying. To my surprise again, many of the girls who congratulated me before, and whom I assumed were Lily’s friends came to comfort me.

“What’s wrong, L-Luna?” one asked.

I tried choking out through sobs “I’m just so happy…I never thought I’d be here…here singing as a girl with all the girls. It’s like a dream come true…”

“Awww” she responded, rubbing my back.

“And…and the lyrics…they relate so much to my life. It’s like someone…someone wrote them about where I was just a few days ago…”

I think all the girls are taking pity on me now, and before I know it, two or three are hugging me (again).

“Don’t worry, Luna. We’re here for you. We’re so happy you’re finally happy and singing with a group of people that feels comfortable”

And with that I can feel my heart growing, breaking through the withered husk it’d become from earlier. Before I can even focus too much on that, Lily interjects

“Hey, I got an idea. Wanna have a girls night at my place this weekend? My parents’ll be out of town!”

“Oh hey, that sounds great!” one responded.

“Count me in!” said another.

I hung my head dejected…I wished I could come to one of these - WAIT I’M A GIRL

“You’re invited too, Luna. How could I leave my girlfriend out?”. This elicited a few gasps (from everyone), but I didn’t care. I love how included Lily makes me feel. I squeak out “So…when is this?”

“Hmm…how does 6:00pm Saturday work at my place?” Lily responds

“You’re on!” another girl says

“Sounds like a plan!”

“Count me in!”

“Same here…” I let out, trying to hide my blush.

“Alright…see you all this weekend!”, Lily says as they all walk out of the choir room.

“Lily…did you set that up just to v-“

“Just to validate you as a girl and help you learn how to be one better? Yeah. Smart, aren’t I?” she said, someone sarcastically.

“Of course you are, it’s why I love you!”

And with that we make our way to lunch.

— —

I’d always wanted to, but on account of my now-girlfriend and I’s relationship, I was getting to sit with her friends - the same ones who I’d be sleeping over with in a few days!

Of course, right as I sat down with my lunch, Lily put her arms around my waist and brought me in for a hug and a kiss on the forehead. Which wouldn’t be how I’d introduce myself to her friends, but I decide to go along with it. If nothing else, Lily is definitely bold and it’s something I love about her. At the same time though, I’m apprehensive of her friends. What will they say about me being their best friend’s girlfriend? Will any of them find that weird? Will they hate me?

Of course, most of these fears were unfounded, as ALL of them at once seemed to give me and Lily a cute “awww” - it seemed they were proud of us!

“So, girls,” Lily grabbed my arm and pulled me close to her again “say hello to my new girlfriend, Luna!”. Most of her friends simply smiled politely until one who I recognized as Abby decided to ask:

“So, Luna, where are you from? Surprised I haven’t seen you around here before”

Shit, do I tell her the truth? I whisper into my girlfriend’s ear “Lily…should I tell them? They’d think I’d be crazy, no?”

She whispered back “Luna, you’ve been lying to yourself for too long - fess up and be open and honest with them!”

Of course, Lily’s friends are now looking at us skeptically, wondering what we could be whispering about. “Well?” Abby insisted

“Um, you see…” I rub the back of my head “I used to be Leo until Saturday morning”

“What? So you’re trans or somet-“ began who I’d later discover was Sarah, before Lily cut her off

“Well, yeah, but she didn't instantly transition over the weekend or anything. She’d always wanted to be a girl, and she wished to become one on a shooting star, and got her wish! Now she's just like any other cis girl1”

“That’s bullshit” replied Amber (I recognized her from her long, curly hair) “people don’t magically become girls overnight. Come on, I mean, we can all see her boobs are f-“

“NO DON’T DO THAT”

And before you know it, Amber has her hands around my breasts, as I’m blushing, though this time not from enjoyment, but from discomfort and awkwardness “Um…Amber…could you please let go of my boobs?”. Lily backed me up with one of the sharpest dirty looks I’d ever seen her give anyone.

Amber could only sit there shaking her head in doubt, like she’d seen a ghost or something, while most of the rest of the girls there scolded her for doing something so messed up. Lily then responded
“Well, Amber, for that little show you gave us, and for sexually assaulting my girlfriend, you’re no longer invited to the sleepover at my place this weekend….or any. Don’t let me see you around again, or you’ll regret it”, she said icily. It seemed the dirty look was contagious as all of the people at the table including me were mentally telling Amber to get lost. Eventually she got the hint after rolling her eyes.

After that…ordeal, the rest of lunch was great. I especially became attached to Chloe in Lily’s friend group, on account of her similar love for Nintendo games, but I mostly just felt so fortunate to be with a group of friends who made me feel like I belong and am loved, even if there was a few bad apples along the way.

The rest of the day goes pretty smoothly, though it was awkward in Physics near the end of the day, when I was called up to the front of the room - mostly because here was this new girl in their class they’d never seen before, being treated like someone who’d always been here - I guess I can’t blame them too much. Eventually, me and Lily hopped off the bus and headed towards our homes with a goodbye kiss, before I crashed on the couch (I was lucky to have little to no homework tonight). As I booted up a new game of Super Smash Bros, I couldn’t help but feel that things had gone really well. Going back to school as a girl for the first time could have ended up really badly, for either me or others, and attested, it felt like a dream that would never end.

Which only made me uneasy. Perhaps it was my background dealing with dysphoria and depression, but things NEVER go this smoothly.

Something was going to go wrong. I could feel it in my bones, but I didn’t know just what it was.

And that set me on edge for the rest of the night - my silly paranoia. I eventually calmed myself down before going to bed. Surely nothing wrong would happen and my hyperactive brain was just making things up.

Surely.

51