Chapter 33: Shield of the Shieldbearer
148 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even as the engines of war moved all around him, Eric couldn’t believe his ears. 

“What?” He stared at Caity Hunter in horror. “We can’t just abandon him! He’s one of our own! He’s your friend, for god’s sake!” 

“That is an order.” Caity answered quietly. This time, when she gazed upon her lover, she could no longer find the patience she once had. She really didn't have the mental capacity to explain everything to Eric. 

The Lieutenant looked around and quickly knew there was no convincing Caity. For a moment, his eyes were filled with horror. Ryan wasn’t even confirmed to be dead yet! For all they knew, he might’ve been captured and tortured for information! But the fact was the Phasewalkers had greater things to worry about. 

All the tanks and armors were moved inside the fort. They quickly circled and surrounded the main command center. Their guns ensured that if the hostiles inside somehow found a way out, they would be mowed down mercilessly by the human prowess. Unlike the 20th Armored Division, the Phasewalkers wouldn’t be caught by surprise and destroyed in their sleep. 

After that was done, the Phasewalkers started to move across the fort, logging everything there was in the inventory. 

The entire time, in this moment of chaos, Eric has been left to himself. As the Colonel’s aid, he only had to answer to Caity, and Colonel Hunter didn't tell him anything. In fact, the entire time after she made the decision, Caity has kept a poker face up. Even the endless wave of good news she was receiving didn't seem to be lightening up her mood. 

She obviously wanted to go in and save Ryan! Eric knew how much she adored the Commissar. Much to his jealousy, there were multiple times where Caity woke up in nightmares screaming Ryan’s name. Eric knew Ryan was who Caity truly desired. He himself was merely a replacement. But she was stopped from doing that because that wasn’t ‘the right thing’ to do.

For a moment, Eric found himself despising the so-called ‘greater cause’ more than words could describe. This was something that justified forcing children away from their families and to a new world where they would die at the hands of Mutant monsters. This was something that justified teenagers to shoot their comrades in cold-blood. If this was what the cause brought, then he really had trouble liking it. 

Eric suspected if one day Caity had to choose between him and the greater cause, she would choose Earth and sacrifice her bed-mate without a second thought. 

Of course, it was all good and all. Making a small sacrifice for the greater good, right? But where was the end? Sacrifice a man here. Sacrifice another company there. Well, since all that was fine, then a small massacre of the innocent should be fine, right? For the cause? Where was the line? When was it too far to do things in the name of survival? 

Gradually, Eric’s mind flew to the monsters they encountered. Ryan said they were some sort of Mutated Parasites, and Eric agreed. It seemed like those things could only stay alive inside human bodies. Combine that with their ability to manipulate bodies and their size...but...something didn't add up. 

What was keeping those things inside the building? The UEC trooper said they guided the UEC soldiers into the Command Center, so they obviously knew how to open doors or walk!

The blazing sun was as annoying as always. Eric felt sweat dripping down from his forehead, forcing him to take out a piece of handkerchief from his pocket and wipe it off. Suddenly, he realized it. 

The command center was the only place where the air conditioning was still somehow on. That was why all the bodies were huddled up in there. Those things couldn’t tolerate the warm temperature during the days! That made sense! There was a reason parasites were parasites! By themselves, they were incapable of adapting to harsh surroundings. Even after they were Mutated, they had to remain in a cooler environment to stay alive. The human bodies probably offered some sort of cover, but not enough to do the job!

That was why a faction capable of wiping out an entire UEC Armored Division didn't make a single move beyond that first feat.  

It was simple, yet somehow everyone missed it. 

So how could he use it to make things for the better? 

Eric had a great idea, but as he turned to Caity, he froze. Even if the Colonel wasn’t occupied by a dozen other tasks, would she really say yes to his proposal? Eric admitted there was some good to Caity, but for the past two days, he barely knew her anymore. He wouldn’t be surprised if she just shut him down. 

Now, if he wanted to save Ryan, Eric needed to do this by himself. 

Speaking of, a thought suddenly popped into the Lieutenant’s head. Why did he even want to save Ryan? He couldn’t be more different than Ryan in terms of belief, and by Eric’s standards, Ryan was hardly a good person. He was the Battalion Commissar. He shot a Phasewalker in cold-blood for trying to live. 

Yes. He saved Eric and the others in the squad, but that was because he was wounded and crippled. If Eric was the one injured, he knew Ryan wouldn’t waste a second to leave him behind and expect him to hold the line before his inevitable and violent death. Eric would be more than happy to see Ryan fall. 

And then it occurred to him. 

Eric wanted to save Ryan not because he cared for Ryan, but because he wanted to make a stand. Yes. He wanted to make a stand against the cold and ruthless attitude of Section X and the Phasewalker High Command. He refused to be just like Ryan, willing to make complete ethical compromises for ‘the greater good’. Make no mistake. He wanted the best for Earth and he wouldn’t hesitate to give his life for it, but as far as he could see, Ryan and the Caity have gone too far. 

He wanted to stand up and show them there was a better way to do things than abandon comrades and allies at the first instance of risk. 

Eric looked around to make sure no one was paying any attention to him before sneaking his way to a radio. There, he made contact with Captain Blyfield, who was still in his helicopter, patrolling across the perimeter with the 2nd Company. 

“Captain Blyfield.” 

“Lieutenant.” 

Eric knew very well he had no jurisdiction over the 2nd Company. Thankfully, he worked for someone who did. 

“Captain Blyfield, Colonel Hunter has ordered me to tell you to open fire on the building in the center with bunker-buster rounds. Your goal is to remove the ceiling and expose the inside of the building.” 

Yep. He was doing it. Faking an order from the woman in command herself. Deep down, Eric knew this wouldn’t end up well. What did he do with that knowledge? He casually tossed that to the side. 

“Hmmm…” Blyfield was no fool. Just a while ago, Caity was just making it clear that she wouldn’t make any drastic move and the Phasewalkers were to patrol the perimeter. C’est tout. That was it. What could’ve caused the sudden change? 

“I understand, but…” He paused briefly. He was similar to Ryan and former captain Davis in that he believed orders must be followed regardless of his private thoughts. Eric has been passing down Caity’s orders since the creation of the Phasewalker Corps. No reason to doubt him now. 

Perhaps Caity received some new piece of intelligence, or maybe she changed her mind. 

“I see. The 2nd Company will carry through the order.”

As the call ended, Eric sat back down and took a deep breath. He has done all he could. Now, the only step left was to pray. 

Pray that Caity Hunter wouldn’t have him executed on the spot.


Ryan Carlson opened his eyes. Wait...what? 

Something was really wrong with that sentence. 

The moment he realized he was still in the realm of the living, the man couldn’t help but sigh. 

The lights suddenly snapped open, and the Phasewalker Battalion Commissar found himself staring at a twisted corpse. It was a female UEC soldier, or at least that was what Ryan deduced from the body. But the look in her eyes and the fact that the corpses all around her were backing off suggested she was not just another parasite, but likely the leader. 

Guardian IV armor covered her body.

Ryan slowly reached down for the handgun in his holster. He touched nothing, not that a Glock could’ve saved him from this situation. 

“Why am I still alive?” Ryan demanded fiercely. His tone was far from what one would expect from someone cornered by a bunch of infected bodies, but then again, when someone wasn’t afraid to die, he would hardly be intimidated by anything else. 

“You look like you want to meet your end…” The female soldier answered. “That's a first.” 

Ryan glanced around quickly. With the aid of the lights, he could see the mountain of corpses were still there. The only difference was that they were now forming a circle around where Ryan was. 

The female infected soldier kept on talking. Rather, it was more appropriate to say the thing inside kept on talking. 

“In case you are still hoping to get rescued, I can assure you that won’t happen. I sense a lot of human presence outside, but none of them have made a move into this building.” The female tilted her head. “But you knew that, didn't you? In fact, you were hoping for that.”

She suddenly leaned forward. Her arm stroking across Ryan’s cheek. “I can sense your fear. I can sense your anger. You tried so hard to conceal what you are feeling under a facade of courage and sacrifice...I have seen a lot of things, but I have to say this is just tragic…” 

All of a sudden, Ryan found his mind crowded by a thousand different thoughts. First of all, what was Caity doing now? What was she thinking? Did the Shieldbearer pass his message to her? Would she toss aside his advice and move in? This thing before him said the Phasewalkers have held their position, but that might change very soon. Did the Phasewalkers get into the armories? 

And then, came the anger. Along with it, the doubt.

Why the hell was he the one maimed? He has done everything correctly! Why wasn’t it Eric or some other coward who deserved to die? Also, none of this would’ve happened if Caity didn't give the order! Why were they even here in the first place? He never should’ve joined the Phasewalker Corps! At least then he could’ve kept his life!

Ryan snapped to the woman. “What are you doing to me?” 

Ryan didn't become the Battalion Commissar by being fragile. He was mentally capable and highly determined. That was why the President and General Kennedy were willing to make him the Commander of the Shieldbearer Division. It was a lot of unsupervised power that could’ve resulted in disasters if handled improperly, but Ryan was still entrusted with it. 

“Interesting you asked,” The female parasite sat down in front of Ryan with her leg crossed. “Here’s the thing. For most of our victims, we just physically invade their bodies, kill them, and take their corpses forever, but for some of the more valuable prizes, we keep a piece of their minds on standby. You know, just for fun. Your guide here. He was one of them. Luckily for you, I do find some interest in you.” 

“And whatever you’re trying to do to me, you need me to, what? Feel doubts? Be emotional? Lose my patience?” Ryan clutched onto his head in agony. The parasite might be talking about her grand plan, but she was hardly slowing down with what she was doing. 

Did he really do the right thing? He shot one of his own just outside the gates! A fellow human being, not a criminal or a crook or a murderer in World Alpha! What would he tell the man’s family and friends and comrades? No! He betrayed his promises! He must be punished! But...was it really a crime to want to live…

Ryan could take a beating. He had his leg sliced open and he barely made a sound. When he was tested by Section X and thought he would die, he held his ground. But sometimes, doubts were ten times worse to endure than pain, and Ryan found everything he has ever stood for, everything that has seemed so normal, shaking.  

“I need you to fully submit. If you don’t, chances are you will take back your body in the future.” The parasite grinned. “Of course, even the toughest of these humans didn't last too long. This one,” She tapped her chest. “She was the Commander of this human army. Lasted a full day, but eventually, I got to her mind and the information it held.” 

Ryan bit his lips slowly. “I…” 

What would happen to Caity if he died here? Would she grieve? How would she deal with the next Battalion Commissar? Without him there for her, would she make foolish decisions? And that Eric guy...Uhhhh...

The struggle in Ryan’s eyes amplified. “You want the information in my head, huh?” He hissed quietly. 

“Yes. I’m sure it will be a good read. This body’s memory doesn’t include anything about people like you. Wherever you people came from, you are special.” 

“Well,” Ryan suddenly grinned before reaching into his pocket. “You’re not getting it...well, you can get it off my body...actually…that’s the more proper term...” It suddenly occurred to him that all the doubts forced into his mind were making him question every word coming out of his mouth. Deciding it wasn’t worth the time, he simply pulled out that object.

The parasite wasn’t impressed. “My people have searched you. You have been relieved of all your weapons.” It was true. The number of firearms, knives, and grenades the parasites collected from Ryan was a small hill. 

Ryan didn't answer. He simply raised the object up. 

It was a Shield with golden borders and black and white coloring. 

10