Chapter 38: Path to Ascension
150 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Aryan. Welcome. To what purpose do I owe this visit?”

Inside a room in Fortress Alpha, Caity, Cara, and Ryan welcomed the Camp York Tier 2 Mutant.

Aryan took a small sip of a glass of drink on the table. It was some sort of soda. Aryan didn't recognize the taste exactly. In fact, he has tasted beverages much better than this one before the apocalypse, but after a full year of scarcity, he was more than happy to drink something that wasn’t water.

If this was the case of a member of Camp York’s upper class, then what was going on with the establishment’s common survivors was just a disaster.

He only replied when he put the glass back down.

“Colonel Hunter, Lord Apollo and my fellow comrades were quite satisfied with the results of our last trade. In fact,” He grinned politely. “we were hoping to establish a long-term trade relationship between Fortress Alpha and Camp York.”

Last time, he brought back to Camp York trucks of food, beverages, and alcohol. These were all things that were either exhausted or have gone bad after the fall of the civilization, and Apollo was happy. Even as the head of thousands and the leader of an entire camp, he didn't have access to luxuries like that.

Just Lord Apollo himself claimed at least half of what Aryan brought back. Aryan himself claimed another large portion, and the other Tier 2 Mutants split the rest.

But food and drinks would always run out, and eventually, the Mutants wanted more.

A few militant Mutants proposed taking Fortress Alpha by force, but Aryan managed to shut down that idea. Why risk going to war when there was a peaceful way? If ordinary York Troopers or Tier 1 Mutants died in the fight, fine, but if some of the Tier 2 Mutants were wounded or even killed, then it would just be a stupid thing to do.

Plus, it seemed like Fortress Alpha wasn’t alone. One mistake, and Camp York could be wiped out for some snacks and drinks.

Plus, by the details of the deal, Fortress Alpha wasn’t ripping Camp York off either with their demands.

Apollo agreed with him, sort of. In fact, as the leader of the camp, he went a step further and had something else in mind. Thus came Aryan’s second trip to Fortress Alpha.

Caity was smiling inside. Section X analysts have come up with this plan a long time ago. Things like drinks and food were like treasures in World Alpha, but there were as many of them as needed for Section X. In a trade like this, Section X didn't even need to rip Camp York off to make a huge profit.

“Very well.” She replied, doing her best to make sure her satisfaction wouldn’t reach the surface. “I’m sure we can arrange a deal…”

“Of course,” Aryan added. “however, Lord Apollo has a request.”

Caity frowned. “Name it. We will do whatever we can to satisfy his demands.” She was expecting Apollo to want something material, maybe a specific type of food or something. She didn't expect what Aryan said next.

“Lord Apollo wants you to visit Camp York, where he will personally discuss with you the terms of the deal.”

As soon as the words came out, the room went dead silent. A few seconds passed before Caity cracked a smile.

“Of course. I will make a few arrangements, and…” She glanced at a clock. “we should be able to leave in a few hours.”

Both Ryan and Cara snapped to their Colonel with shock in their eyes. Aryan was surprised by the response as well. What he first said was just the cover. This invitation was his real reason here, and he expected sharp resistance before he could convince the woman in command of Fortress Alpha to step onto the potentially hostile ground.

Caity turned to Cara. She could sense the confusion, but she wasn’t ready to share her reasoning in front of Aryan. “Please find our guest a place to rest for a few hours.”

As the two left the room and the door shut behind them, Ryan finally gave voice to his concerns.

“That’s a terrible idea, Caity.”

Caity. Not Colonel Hunter. Ryan was so concerned that he called Caity by her first name and not her rank and last name.

“Did you forget the Red Wedding? If you walk into Camp York, I doubt you’ll be able to leave again! Those Mutants at Camp York have no ethics or honor! If we leave the entrenchments, even if you bring the entire Regiment, we can’t protect you! The best possibility is they take you hostage and demand us to surrender Fortress Alpha! What are you thinking?”

For the first time since they met, it was Ryan being the emotional one.

Finally, Caity replied.

“No. They won’t make a move on me. Across the multiple encounters, we have convinced them that Fortress Alpha is just one of many bases, and we are just a small component in a large, powerful, and extremely resourceful faction. They won’t take me hostage or do anything drastic because it’s too risky. If we were telling the truth, I, as a mere officer, wouldn’t be good leverage, and attacking me will merely direct the full wrath of our faction on Camp York.”

She reassured Ryan. “It will be risky for us, but the risks are not that extraordinary in terms of what we have done.”

“But why?” Ryan couldn’t help but ask. “It will be better to strike a deal on our home turf than in their base. This is a seller’s market here! We are the sellers! They don’t have any leverage right now!”

“Relax, Ryan.” Caity frowned. This wasn’t the Ryan Carlson she knew. For some reason, Ryan was being very disturbed. “I have my reasons.”

“Such as?”

“Such as we know nothing about Camp York.” Caity’s retaliation was swift. “We haven’t seen any Tier 2 Mutants in combat and we have no idea how to counter them. We don’t know the combat capabilities of Camp York. If we want to expand our influences in this world, we can’t avoid Camp York.”

“Then send someone else! You are the Colonel in command, not some random messenger! Do you see Apollo coming into our camp himself? No! Because a leader never puts herself at risk!”

Caity didn't answer until Ryan’s complaints died down.

“This is uncharacteristic of you, Ryan.”

“What?” Ryan snapped.

“I said this is very uncharacteristic of you, Ryan.” Caity repeated. “I have never seen you like this. So...excited. Are you alright?”

Ryan frowned. He realized it as well. He has never snapped like this, no matter what poor decisions others have made. In fact, he was still the same with most things. Cold. Uncaring. Just wanted to do his part and get this over with. But with Caity...he just couldn’t be the same.

Caity had so many characteristics he not just respected, but also liked. She was strong. Independent. Decisive. Smart. He actually cared for and respected her, and that was why he was so frightened when Caity wanted to put herself at risk once again.

As Ryan calmed down a little, Caity added.

“Most Phasewalkers have gone through training to be soldiers, not envoys. I don’t trust anyone in Fortress Alpha for this task. Even you, Ryan...you are just not built for this.”

Ryan couldn’t agree more. Whenever he had to talk, he went straight to the point. I make an offer. You say yes or no. If you say no, I make another offer. It took so much more than a tongue to be an envoy, and by the looks of it, Caity might be the best choice.

But Ryan still had concerns.

“We have been ordered to launch another mission to clear out more Mutants and further expand our influence. You are the Colonel. We need someone with the experience to command us.”

Caity suddenly glanced at Ryan, and the Regiment Commissar felt chills down his spine.

“Oh no...no no no...that’s a terrible idea! I will not…”

But Caity didn't give Ryan a chance to say no.

“Regiment Commissar Carlson. As the Colonel in command of the 1st Phasewalker Regiment, I order you to act as the Regiment Commander in my absence. You will lead whatever mission the Regiment has to carry out in the meantime.”

Ryan sighed. “Look, Caity. There’s a reason you are the Commander, not me. I would rather be a soldier than the commander...”

“Well, the situation needs you to be the commander, not a soldier.” Caity cut him off. “Or are you going to disobey my command?”

Caity knew Ryan hated the responsibility that came with authority. Caity hated the same thing herself, and she respected Ryan’s choice to stay away from that. Yet, the situation required Ryan to step up and pick up the mantle. She simply didn't trust the others enough for the task.

Now, theoretically, as the Regiment Commissar, Ryan could resist Caity’s order, but if there was something he hated more than responsibility for something he had little control over, it was using the authority he was given for personal purposes. Ryan would never use his power as a commissar to ease his own burdens.

Ryan sighed. Caity and him might have only known each other for little more than months, but they learned more than enough about each other during that time. Caity’s expectations were fully accurate.

“I understand, Colonel.” Ryan nodded slowly.


In the end, Caity decided to take just a small but elite force of Phasewalkers to Camp York. If Camp York meant her ill, which was highly unlikely, then no amount of Phasewalkers would be enough. In that case, she might as well leave more forces for Ryan to work with on the incoming expedition.

Out of the 70 Security Troopers of the Regiment Security Battalion, Caity ended up taking 50 of them. They were all Generation I elites, armed with some of the best weapons the Phasewalkers got from Fort Sentinel. They would be transported by two Leopard APCs.

This force was led by Platoon Commissar Charlotte Williams. Caity took her assistant Cara Mason with her as well.

Ryan wasn’t there to send Caity off. He was concerned about the Colonel, but he forced himself to turn that concern into strength. He told himself one simple thing. The better the expanding missions go, the more influence and leverage Fortress Alpha had, and the safer Caity would be at Camp York. At the very least, if something went wrong, Ryan would have more assets to either rescue Caity or avenge her.

This was the only way Ryan could tame the gnawing feeling that there was nothing he could do to protect someone he cared about.

In the Command Center, Ryan scanned the room. All the major Commanders of the Regiment were here. Majors in command and Battalion Commissars of all five Battalions, as well as a number of other Phasewalker personnel. Ryan first turned to Major Blyfield.

“Major Blyfield. The 2nd Airborne Battalion has been tasked with gathering information of the surroundings of Fortress Alpha. What are the results?”

Ryan went straight to the point. They were going to war, not a dance party. Blyfield did the same thing, more than happy with a dry and direct exchange.

“As you are all aware of, we have dominance over the area within a 10-kilometer radius of Fortress Alpha. Our scouts regularly patrol this area. All the Mutants within this radius have been exterminated.”

He pointed at a map on a computer screen.

“The vanguard that Commissar Carlson and Colonel Hunter were in moved North upon exiting the Portal. There, they found a major road. One intersection off the road led to Kaneton, but if we were to follow the road, we would reach the city of New Sara.”

“What?” Major Olsen asked at the unfamiliar name.

“It does not correspond to a city in our world.” Major Blyfield has done his research. “In fact, our troopers found a map of this world and compared it to our world. We are in North America, but the geological structures are a bit different, so our location doesn’t correspond to anywhere back home.”

“It is a different world.” Ryan pulled the others back to the topic. “Please continue, Major.”

“Yes sir.” Blyfield went on. “The other three directions are mainly open plains. We managed to pinpoint a number of farms with the help of locals my men ran into.”

“Where is Camp York?” Another Major suddenly asked.

“Camp York is in the South. That’s where Aryan’s convoy came in.” Major Blyfield turned back to Ryan. “Sir, I must warn you. The area around Fortress Alpha is just a small place compared to the outside world, and we still lost dozens securing it. If we try to expand our influence, we will encounter resistance, and there will be casualties. A lot of casualties.” He emphasized.

If they were to move through with this order, a lot of people would die, and their blood would be on the hands of everyone in this room.

All eyes turned to Ryan as the room went silent.

Ryan sighed before answering their gaze with a simple response.

“The path to ascension is paved with the bones of the martyrs, and if it is our destiny to burn, then so be it.”

“All...for Victory.”

The others lowered their heads before declaring in a low but determined voice.

“For Victory.”

8