Chapter 9: Pre-Soldier Exam Begins! Part 1/2
149 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been three weeks since the end of the Academic Exam. 

Spring had arrived. 

The flora of the surrounding land had flourished from the season’s fine weather. In the village farms, crops had germinated many sprouts, seeming to be in a race to see who would mature faster. 

The village folks were delighted! 

They were ready to work extra hard and celebrate harder from the upcoming harvest. Children, particularly, were happy for their future bellies and have returned to running on the grassy fields with bright laughter, unrestrained from being forced to obediently stay indoors. 

Vanquishers stationed close to the Missionary Church felt relieved that the tensions had finally died down, but they were still rather vigilant in their duty. 

At an isolated area of the Training Grounds, a young teen boy could be seen swinging a bo staff diligently against the bark of a tree. 

The boy did not express any extraneous movements and simply swung his bo staff back and forth. He alternated his stance from time to time and took different approaches to swing his bo staff. 

Although the boy was neither fast nor slow, each proceeding strike bore consistent power no more and no less than the one before it. He would take breaks occasionally and would switch to barks of other trees when he felt it was enough. 

It may seem he was taking it easy, which he indeed was to some extent; however, the degree of control he displayed was astonishing. It was a difficult feat to accomplish, proven by the clear tracks of sweat that trickled down his face. 

Before long, a young man in his twenties approached him.    

"Ain't it time to take a rest, kiddo? Ya don't wanna break a sweat before the exam."

"I am about ready to go.” Dalis finished up his last swing and took a towel from his inventory to pad off his sweat. “If I do not depart soon, Stilla will end up dragging me to the exam. I'd rather not trouble her." 

"What ya blathering about? You're always troubling little filly."

"Arguable *sigh* Always insisting that she's my big sister . . . I already have one." 

"Hahaahaha. So the hotshot is into the older chicks, eh? Ain't surprised. Glad that somebody will take her in tho, it's about time she finds a man."

The two were now an arm span away from each other. One would think there would be an awkward air around them due to the incident. But, if anyone were to see this conversation, they would be heavily surprised. 

"That large boulder over there.” Halio pointed. “Why don't we sit there and chit chat for a bit. I'm sure little filly won't drag ya back in the next couple of minutes."

"Understood." There should be sufficient time to spare. 

The two sat on the sturdy large boulder. There was a brief moment of silence before Halio began to open his mouth.

"So kiddo, ya may have breezed through the Academic Exam and gave that Feeria boy a bit of a jolt, but the Pre-Soldier Exam? That's a whole different field.” He rolled his eyes and smirked. “Are you anxious? Or are you ready to rumble?"

Dalis was indifferent. “Teacher, you were watching me earlier behind the trees over there. What do you think?"

"Heh, your inherent talent is quite something. It's dark over there from this distance, I didn't think you'd be able to see me from there."

Dalis did not respond.

" . . . "

" . . . "

It was silent. 

Only the sound of people training could be heard in the distance. Other than that, the breathing of two young males was audible. 

With a sigh as though he was easing himself up, Halio spoke, "After that incident, I've thought to myself that I oughtta try a little harder, ya know?"

Seeing that Dalis did not completely understand what he meant by those words, he started to explain.

"You know what I mean” He stretched his arms over his head. “My attitude has always been kinda lax and carefree. I can only get in the mood if I find it amusing or interesting. Because of that, Karen and the others always smack me around.

“Following the incident, you can say this bloke has opened his eyes a bit. Heck, I wouldn't have minded if they'd give me a harsher ‘punishment’ than that.” Halio reflexively shrugged his shoulders, a little disbelieved. 

Dalis waggled his eyebrow. "You still don't seem suited to be a teacher." 

"Never said I was perfect."

This guy . . . Dalis couldn't help but shake his head side to side. 

Dalis's response caused Halio to let out a faint chuckle. "Any advice for a no-good teacher like me?"

"Advice . . ."

After the trailing of that one word, he went silent. Halio was a little perturbed, but he did not make a sound in concern that it would affect his concentration. 

Only the occasional chirps and pitched cries of small critters filled the quiet field. It was not long until Dalis found an answer.

"I thought of a couple of things. However, I believe that there's only one thing that needs to be said."

"Righto, let's hear it." There was expectation. 

"Just do what you think is right."

"Hey, hey—"

“ ‘Try a little harder.’ That's what you said right?"

"Yeah."

"Then follow through with your words. It's the conclusion you reached, correct?"

" . . . "

Halio was mute, but a splurge of laughter came from his mouth by the next moment. 

"Hahahahaha." Halio continued to laugh until he was satisfied. 

Dalis was very troubled; he had no idea what was going on with the bloke. Is he drunk on laughter?

Yaaa!

Halio suddenly pushed himself away from where he sat and landed safely onto the ground. 

"Righto kiddo, before we end up chattering away it's about time ya head over there."

Dalis was speechless. 

"Right on, just gotta try a little harder," Halio said, feeling very refreshed. "Crap, how long have we been in here? Ya should probably get going. Sorry for taking up your time," he added.

"Yes, I will depart now teacher. Thank you for keeping me company." 

"Any day kiddo, if ya wanna chit chat just head to me. I'd be doing some errands here and there for the most part."

Community service . . .  Dalis thought.

Dalis then began to walk towards the direction of where the exams were taking place.

"Oh yeah one last thing."

Dalis stopped and slightly turned his head around.

"What you did ain't necessarily wrong. Just make sure the circumstances are right. That time was a definite no no. Otherwise, you'd regret it." 

A breeze swept over. 

Dalis was unfazed by the sudden chill.

"Understood."

"Oh yeah! Now show ‘em why you're the hotshot."

 

***

 

It was approaching midday. 

Dalis walked towards the site of where the exam venue would be held. On the way there, the surrounding vegetation grew more lush, flowing with natural vitality. 

Entranced by the seemingly drastic change from their usual prairie clearing, Dalis had arrived before he knew it. 

In front of him was the Maizan Forest. 

A fenced wall blessed with Caleyar's magic surrounded this forest, but it could not contain the large overarching vines peeking from behind the gates and through the walls. 

At the main gate, he could see hundreds of candidates standing upon a conjured stage. 

The stage was made of interlaced marble and vegetation. It was shaped like a rhombus and closed in towards the Maizan Forest gate. There was sufficient space to fit the sizeable amount of participants at the scene, leaving much of the space unoccupied. 

At the front, there was a large clearing where only a number of people stood. 

They were the examiners. 

Dalis headed towards Sister Edna's group for the roll call at a steady pace.

"Daalis . . . You're late." 

"Daaaaliissss. You're almost late." 

The voices of two familiar females reached his ears. 

It was Sister Edna and Stilla. 

Stilla was the first to approach him.

"They're about to begin explaining the rules! I was going to drag you over here but everybody here stopped me wuuuu." Stilla pouted with two fists clenched raised below her chin.  

"Obviously."

"Naturally." 

Two people came behind Stilla. 

It was Sister Edna and Melvin.

Although it seemed both were here to criticise him, Melvin was aloof. It seemed he didn't need to dirty his washed hands as Sister Edna was there.  

Sister Edna went closer to Dalis. Her arm could be seen slowly and gradually raising.

Crap, she isn't thinking of doing the classic ‘dragged by the ear’ trope is she?

Dalis was ready to scurry away as he moved back a few steps. However he eventually stopped and let the reckoning take place.

Pat.

" . . . "

"Dalis don't be late for such occasions; otherwise, you will keep us worried. Okay?"

"Okay."

" . . . You didn't think I was going to drag you by the ear or something did you?"

There was a brief second of hesitation by Dalis.

"No, of course not. Sister Edna has never done such a thing and would never do such a thing anyway." Though I've been dragged by the collar by Stilla. 

"Sister Edna knows everything Dalis~" Sister Edna teased.

Stilla gave a little pout while Melvin was flabbergasted. If Melvin had known, he would've thrown in a few words or too before Sister Edna was present. 

There were whispers around them by the other children guessing that the last line by Sister Edna was a tease with more meaning to it. Though, the majority were sceptical and dismissed it as nothing but imagination going awry.

"Everyone may I have your attention please." A deep voice resounded across the field.

All the people present had stopped their conversations and turned towards the direction of the voice. Around thirty or so individuals were standing firmly. From first glance, one could tell that they were the authorities and organisers for the exam. Several faces were recognisable by Dalis. For instance, their teacher Scholar Somal, Mother Michelle, and Apostle Wrau.

The man who stood before the candidates was Vanquish General Zelgius.

"Today is the day of the Pre-Soldier Exam. It is the day where you and the rest of your fellow comrades are tested. We are here to see how much you have grown over the years, how much your abilities stand, and how you fare against your peers. Above all, to see if you have the calibre to become a soldier-in-training.

"The two hundred and forty-seven of you youths are the most qualified children eligible to partake in this exam. You may not all be from the same origin. You each have different histories and reasons for being here today. However, all of you are certain to be the next Vanquish soldiers in the near future.

"Whether you are from the Church or not, all of you will be working together as comrades! To fend off against the vile demons and demonics beasts who caused tragedy upon our homeland five years ago. We cannot let such a horrific war happen again! That is why you must all perform to the best of your capabilities. Prove your worth! Prove that you want to be Vanquishers! This is only just the beginning!" 

"OOAAHH!!!"

Children cheered as their bodies became ablaze with fighting spirit. Ready to take on the challenge. They were indeed the next generation to become Vanquish soldiers. 

After the outcry, a handsome man in his early twenties began to move forward to replace his position. Each step he took was graceful and elegant. Just by this, it was obvious he had been well-groomed at a young age. 

Whispers were exchanged across the crowd.

"Could that be . . . "

"Oh he's so gorgeous."

"The number one most handsome man from the Cresuilge Kingdom. That's for sure."

"It's the Prince the Prince, our Royal Highness!"

"Why can't there be any decent guys around me that are somewhat as handsome as him?"

"Hmph." 

The picture of royalty, integrity, and composure. He donned a regal sash decorated by the royal seal, lined with bright gold, and layered over a thin iron plate that held up his stout appearance. An ebb and flow of mana could be seen coursing through his garments as a light runic inscription surfaced on his robes and seemed to be alive.

The man had cascading maroon hair, cut short above his shoulders that danced with the wind much like his sash. Though trimmed, it was enough to perfectly reveal the attractive gleaming amethyst eyes that lay underneath. His countenance radiated with composure and was all-encompassing. 

He didn't seem to be above anyone, yet not one of the participants would claim to be in his league. Especially when they caught a glimpse at the sheathed claymore poised by his side.

15