Chapter 10: Pre-Soldier Exam Begins! Part 2/2
136 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Greetings everyone. It is an honour to be able to have the privilege to speak here today. As you may know, I am Kayle Relza, the Crown Prince of Cresuilge Kingdom and one of the Knights of Majesty. I am here today as a special guest to watch over the fine youths of our Pedlar Continent do their utmost best in their exam. 

“While it may seem exaggerated that a future heir of Cresuilge Kingdom is here to witness this exam—let me disclose something enticing for you all. In the upcoming short weeks, this year's 93rd Knights of Kingdom Tourney will commence. The surviving top participants of the tournament will have the opportunity to obtain the honour to become one of the well-privileged knights of the Cresuilge Kingdom.”

He waved his hands magnanimously. “Now, what exactly does this have to do with you all? The individuals who perform remarkably in this Pre-Soldier Exam will be eligible to participate in the tournament." 

"WHAAATTT WOAHH."

The uproar of the candidates became even louder than the previous roar. It was even getting slightly out of control. 

The faces of the authorities varied. Some had forced smiles, others seemed approved of the motivation, while there were those who felt a little grieved at the difference from the previous speech. After all, this was the exam to become future Vanquishers, not to become a contestant for the upcoming Cresuilge Kingdom tourney. 

"I would like to thank the Missionary Church and everyone else who had collaborated to realise this event."

Crown Prince Kayle delivered a bright smile to all the authorities. Many fell in a trance by the young adult's countenance.

"There is more to be said, but I will leave that until after the results are in. To those ones who triumph over this challenge. I will be watching you all."

Clap clap clap clap clap clap.

Wild applause filled the stage. Crown Prince Kayle gracefully left the spotlight as another Vanquish General took his place. 

It was Vanquish General Marie.

"Listen well candidates, as I will be explaining the content and rules of the exam."

The stage became very silent. 

"This year's Pre-Soldier Exam will be a Hunting Competition. All of you will be scattered across the western zone of the Maizan Forest located within the Vanquish walls. This forest is under the direct jurisdiction of the Vanquishers, and it has been routinely kept in condition to grow medicinal herbs and contain beasts for training purposes. However, today it is to be used for something different, that is to test you, young future Vanquishers. 

“At the beginning, you will be teleported into the forest with no equipment at hand, and that includes light armour. You would have been all informed beforehand, but for those who have still brought equipment, please give them to your respected Sisters for care until the exam is over.” She then swept a baleful gaze to all of the candidates. 

“That is not all. None of you are allowed to bring anything out from your inventories into the exam. This is one of the clauses within the given quest. If disobeyed, the quest itself will fail, meaning we would know if one of you dare tries to cheat.”

There were a few of them that washed away their dishonest thoughts from that revelation. The majority were fazed. Not from the content, but from her gaze that would spell big trouble. 

“Now, throughout the forest, there will be chests filled with weapon artefacts scattered across the forest. That will be your source of equipment necessary to not only defeat the beasts, but also to track your score. These weapons artefacts supplied by the Cresuilge Kingdom are special models tailored to be usable by all practitioners, while also imitating the effects of artefacts so that candidates with blessed mana can use them.

“The weapons will absorb the mana from fallen beasts to gauge your score for the hunting section and that mana will be extracted and graded once the examination has concluded.

"The stronger the beast, the denser the mana will be when extracted. Thus, stronger beasts are ideal. However, do not get ahead of yourselves! The beasts have keen senses and are not to be underestimated. We have specially chosen the western zone as the beasts there are not only suitable for your levels, but also are quite fierce.

“There is one particular beast you should know, known as ‘The Monster’ and is one you must avoid. You will know which it is if you were to encounter it. If you want to blindly go ahead and get yourself killed, go ahead. We are not responsible for children who bite off more than they can chew.

"You will be in there for five days. In those five days, you will be tasked to seek nourishment and water to survive like you have been taught in the Orphanage, as these will not be provided for you. Your choice of weapon artifact will be more vivid in colour the more mana it absorbs. Hence, there is no sure way to verify exactly how much mana you have collected.

“If you wish to retire for whatever reason, whether you're unable to go on further or feel satisfied with the mana you’ve accumulated, say the words ‘I wish to retire’. You will be teleported out. Keep in mind at noon on the fifth day you will be forcibly teleported out. Moreover, we will be watching you all through the artefacts in the chest."

A few murmurs of chatter spread across the stage.

"Are there any questions?"

"Yes! What is the identity of ‘The Monster?’ Is it something we are aware of?"

"That is a secret, though some of you may know it. Curiosity killed the cat. Do not ask about it."

"Are fighting with other candidates allowed?"

"That is a good question. You may fight with other candidates, but it isn't recommended as the time you waste could be spent hunting other beasts. While squabbles are allowed, if we see anything that can be deemed unjust, then prepare for the consequences!"

What the children didn’t know was that if they did fight, they would be heavily criticised for their actions later. Their actions would also greatly influence their chances of entering the upcoming expeditions.

"What happens if we can't escape?"

"If such an event occurs, and we recognise and see that your life is at high risk, our surveying force will be dispatched at first notice. Then you will be sent to the Medivan Hospital. Keep in mind, our surveillance is limited to the weapon and is periodic. If you were to be unfortunate to not be viewed at a moment of crisis, then your life may be lost. So you should not rely on the teleportation as a perfect talisman."

"No more Questions? Good! The Pre-Soldier Exam begins now!"

 

***

 

Dalis's eyes which were squinted from the dazzling light slowly dilated. 

The world before him was no longer the stage where he stood a few seconds ago. 

His line of sight captured new exuberant plant life and vegetation. The sprawling trees particularly were so luxuriant that a few of them had grown healthily to heights of miniature towers. In his ears, he could hear the mixed sounds from the inhabitants and land; the chorus of nature they played.  

Dalis took a few steps. He looked at the ground. Then began to gently walk around as he tread on the unfamiliar mossy mattress, embracing its texture and the fine humid heating of spring. 

It was rather playful in manner.

Dalis stopped and gave another survey of the land. He took in the fact that he had officially entered the Maizan Forest. The teleportation circle had separated him from the familiar faces of his peers and Sister Edna.

He was all alone.

Taking in the fresh air of greenery, he exhaled deeply. “Wow, it feels as if I'm alone in this world. I feel oddly at peace."

There was no Stilla to drag him around. 

No annoying Feeria snob to pester him. 

Nothing constraining him. 

Since his time at the Orphanage, Dalis was never truly isolated. The Orphanage was a place where people closely gathered together. Intimate relationships and harmony amongst each other were standard. Living together was normal like family. Being tied as a community by the Church and its teachings was expected. 

All of this made him feel tied, but the new environment had welled up a sense of peace and freedom. 

"Yet, at the same time, I feel a little lonesome . . . "

He stared at his right hand. 

The warmth from a moment ago was still present. A series of words echoed in his mind.

 

*Flashback* 

 

"Listen up, we are going to find each other and I'm not taking no for an answer! There was no mention of anything saying we can't work together. So if we get together, I know we will be able to beat this exam to a pulp!"

“Yeah, I wonder what exactly will be beaten to a pulp if we disobey,” Dalis muttered.

“I suppose I have no choice. Not that I have any qualms about it,” Melvin said. But in his mind he thought, Tsk, to think I'd have to work with this gnat again. No, considering how vast this forest is, the chances for me to come across him are . . .  

 

*Present*

 

Dalis's mouth curved upwards, unbeknownst to him.

"Well, I suppose I should search for them. After all . . . "

Dalis's mutter progressively trailed down. 

A creeping, sudden epiphany shocked him out of his reverie. 

What am I doing?! How could I act so blithely lax?!

He was thrown in the middle of unknown territory and was acting so nonchalant with barely any knowledge of his surroundings. If he was unlucky, he may have come across an aggressive beast and would have been running for his life. 

He was not acting careful at all!

It was dangerous. 

Immediately, Dalis snapped into total vigilance.  

. . . 

. . . 

After a brief investigation of where he was, he found that all was in the clear. 

Resting himself against the bark of a tree, he temporarily took rest, checked, and digested the quest that he was given. Including all the information in the ‘see here for more details’ section.

Event Quest: Pre-Soldier Exam

  Information

Exp

1000 exp + (???)

  A joint Quest assigned and organised by the Missonary Church of Vanquish. 

Your task is to survive five days in the western zone of the Maizan Forest and collect mana from various beasts.

You will be observed by the examiners. Do your best to display your capabilties to show that you have the caliber to be a soldier-in-training. 

Consequences of failing this quest vary and is through judgement of the examiners.  

 “We are not responsible for children who bite off more than they can chew.” 

- Vanquish General Marie.

                    

-See here for more details-

                                                     

Difficulty

B+ 

Duration

Five days (Noon).

Remains active until failure, breach of clause, or removal by the assigner.

Reward

Besides being ranked among your peers, there is none. However, after the exam, you may keep a proportion of things found. 

 

Okay. My attitude is refreshed. I have read through the quest. It is time to explore.

Dalis carefully trod and explored the area. 

His first objective that he had initially planned had almost swayed from Stilla and Melvin.  

He was not to group with his comrades or find the hidden chests: it was to survey the topography of where he had been teleported to, and then find a safe clearing of some sort to make camp.

That way, he would be able to have a base where he could return to take shelter and not worry too much about beasts sneaking behind his back. Preferably a base that could last until the remainder of the exam. 

Dalis may have extremely powerful eyes that makes him very perceptive of the surroundings; however, without a weapon he was still a feeble lamb waiting to be slaughtered. He wasn’t confident that his skills could fend off against the beasts here. 

Oh this herb? 

Behind a large mossy rock shone by a cone of sunlight, Dalis had discovered some herbs.

Isn’t it a remedy for demonisation? If I were to mash this and mix it with other materials, it would gain properties resistant to demonisation. It was said to be flora blessed by Caleyar. Hmm . . . These will be useful. 

Dalis began to carefully crop the herbs one by one with the utmost care. These herbs were definitely something that needed to be preserved at its best quality. 

Unfortunately, Dalis did not have any special tools or skills that will help him maintain the purity of these herbs. His System was not developed enough to aid in the preservation either. 

Nevertheless for the occasion, it would be sufficient. Plus, Dalis had a decent amount of experience when it came to harvesting and extracting. Most of the practical activities besides combat were flora related, so he was very familiar with the technicalities. 

After all, it was part of their curriculum. 

As Dalis was about to reach his hand to harvest and put the final two herbs into his inventory, he froze. 

Dalis's instincts were shouting at him that if he were to pluck the final herbs, he would be in danger. 

He quietly began to calm the upheaval of breaths that had escaped his mouth. He then tried to sense if a presence was nearby. 

Indeed he sensed something . . . 

Something behind him . . . 

Something was watching him . . . 

 

Just what could it be? Thanks for reading everyone!

 

15