Side Story, Part 1: There is Another
439 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watched the raindrops slide across the window. The car ride was a quiet one, and Mum was already asleep. Travelling always had that effect on her.

My eyes met Dad’s in the rear mirror, and I immediately smiled for him. He winked at me before focusing back on the road. I felt relieved at the knowledge that he believed that smile. Our vacation had just ended, so my concerns could wait until tomorrow.

I opened my sketchbook to look at my work. My fingers gently traced the grey landscapes inside. I wished I could travel like that all the time. Discovering new places and getting to know their culture, history and legends. For me, nothing else could compare to that feeling.

It wasn’t long before the night fell, and the rain intensified. My mind wandered back to that woman. The memory made me tighten the grip on my sketchbook. I could still hear her screams and smell the acrid odour of the disgusting black thing that fell from her mouth. My stomach felt queasy at the memory. I shut my eyes, trying to force out the horrifying image from my mind.

We were leaving soon, and I was supposed to be packing. I panicked and ran away. I couldn’t get involved. Her agonising stare as she begged for my help refused to leave my mind.

I rubbed my chest in discomfort. The small sensation I originally blamed on guilt started to spread. My whole body felt hot, and it kept getting worse. I tried to hold back a whimper, but when I felt Dad’s sharp gaze, I knew I wasn’t successful. I tried reassuring him with a smile, only for it to come out as a grimace.

It burns…

No longer being able to hide it, I curled up and screamed in pain.

“What’s wrong!?” I heard Dad’s voice, but I could only let out another whimper.

“Darling?” I didn’t realise that Mum was awake, but I was grateful to feel her hand on mine. “Stop the car!” She yelled.

“There is nowhere to stop! She needs a hospital!” He responded.

Dad accelerated. I raised my head to see Mum giving him a hard look whilst unbuckling her seat belt. Once free, she reached out for my hand again. Dad’s attention kept jumping between me and the road.

I caught the glimpse of a deer on the road moments before I heard the deafening sound of shattering glass and twisting metal. Suddenly, the world was spinning.

Each second felt like an eternity. Mum’s hand was ripped from mine, and I heard a loud scream. It took me a second to realise it was mine.

It all ended as suddenly as it started. I blinked and found myself upside down. My ears were ringing, and my vision was blurry. My forehead felt sticky, and there was pain, so much pain.

I had one saving thought.

We’re alive.

“Mum? Dad?” My tongue felt heavy, and my hands fumbled to unbuckle my seatbelt. I shifted my eyes to look at the front seats when there was no answer. I forgot to brace myself and fell hard on the ground. I groaned and stayed there for a moment. I’d never felt such excruciating pain, but I needed to see my parents. I needed to know they were all right. I crawled forward and noticed most of the windshield was missing. Mum’s seat was empty.

I turned to see Dad hanging upside down, his face was covered in blood, and he didn’t wake up when I shook him. The airbags didn’t deploy. My eyes were watering, but I still needed to find Mum. The rain kept falling hard when a bolt of lightning illuminated my surroundings. I thought I saw her. She was next to a tree, not far from the car. I forced myself to crawl out. I was shaking badly, but I needed to reach her.

I didn’t make it very far before I collapsed. I thought I heard leaves rustle, and the next lightning strike revealed a silhouette. A pair of bright amethyst eyes stared back at me.

I wasn’t sure if it was real; My consciousness was fading. Still, I reached out for the humanoid shape, asking for help. The only thing that left my mouth was a dark mass with a familiar acrid smell.

I rolled over to lay on my back and, as the rain hit my face, I had one last thought before I surrendered to the darkness.

This is all my fault.

13