Chapter 29: Unexpected Outcome
212 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dr. Blake rushed to us, followed by Jack, Keith, and one of the rangers. I knew the doctor was in good shape for his age, but I never expected him to be so fast. Two security guards showed up into the clearing soon after and chased behind the first group with clear concern for the safety of their employer. It was odd to see those since they normally stayed near the access gates. In mere seconds, the whole group was almost on top of us. The only reason Viken hadn’t been tackled already was that Allison, who anticipated the group’s move, got in the way in time to block them.

Unlike the rest, Keith and Dr. Blake ignored the giantess and made their way around her, only to be stopped by a small fireball aimed at their feet. “Stand down, humans, or I won’t miss the next one,” Belaury announced, glaring at them. A much bigger fireball was already hovering over her palm.

They were briefly stunned. “Elves?” Dr. Blake muttered. Their eyes travelled from her to Viken, and then to Anna. Spotting the glow coming from the old man’s hands, Keith sighed and sheathed his sword. “What happened here?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” My teacher replied, not letting go of the magic on her hand. “The girl is injured. Greatly so. She’s lucky we were around.”

“But how?” The knight asked. “And why were you here?”

Belaury simply pointed up with her free hand. “She fell from up there, and I think it’s pretty damn obvious what we’re doing here.”

Dr. Blake turned pale as he looked up. “It’s my fault,” he muttered.

“Would you look at that? Turns out the whole world is responsible for this now,” Belaury scoffed, finally putting out the flame. “It was an accident, you dolt. No one’s at fault.”

It surprised me to see her dropping her guard like that. The humans she hated so much were right in front of her, and all she did was frown and scold them. Not only that, she wasn’t blaming Dr. Blake like I thought she would. Perhaps she simply didn’t want to agree with him? Regardless of her intentions, I couldn’t help feeling scolded, too. Noticing this, she patted my head. I saw many confused faces because of this.

“I had it built,” Dr. Blake retorted, seemingly oblivious to the not so small detail.

“So?” She asked. “Did you do it expecting her to climb it and fall?”

“Of course not!”

“There you go then. That’s why we call it an accident. Instead of blaming yourself, learn from the mistake and fix it. Now, shut up and let my husband concentrate!” she yelled, earning a grunt from Viken. “I’m just educating the new generations, Vik.” He rolled his eyes and extended his arm to her. She gave him another brown potion in response.

Dr. Blake looked like he wanted to say something else, but did as she said. It was the right choice. Belaury could get quite childish at times, and this was such a moment. Our healer looked quite annoyed with the loud exchange, too. Seeing that no one was openly hostile anymore, the doctor kneeled next to his daughter’s head, biting his fist as he watched the process. Anna looked a lot better now, so I couldn’t imagine how her father would have reacted if he had arrived a bit earlier. Oddly enough, neither elf reacted to his action. To Viken, it was as if he didn’t exist.

My teacher was clearly in a bad mood, but she limited herself to glaring at them. Not them. She would look at Keith and then briefly to empty space, only for her frown to grow and stare at him once more. The knight was too focused on Anna’s recovery to notice. Allison also relaxed and sat down, letting the rest of the group fully see what was happening behind her.

“Can you fully heal her?” Keith asked the old elf, kneeling closer than I thought was wise. Viken nodded, sitting Anna back up to administer the new dose of nutrients.

“She’ll choke like that!” Dr. Blake shouted, extending his arm at them.

This time, Keith got in the way. “He’s using magic to prevent it from going to the wrong pipe. Let him do it.” The knight placed his arm behind Anna’s back to keep her up. “Here, let me help with this.”

Viken flinched, not expecting the movement. He said nothing about it, though.

“How bad is it?” Keith asked.

“Many bones of her were broken,” Viken commented as he returned to his task. “It will be slow, but she will recover. The worst is, uh... finished.”

“What was she doing up there, anyway?” Jack asked, looking at me. Whether he was angry or not, I couldn’t tell. His face was just as emotionless as always.

“I’m sorry,” I replied, causing Belaury to slap me behind the head. It didn’t hurt, though. Regardless of her input, I couldn’t stop thinking I was responsible. “I wanted to check the cabin on top, so I flew there and then panicked because of the height. Anna climbed up to get me and lost her balance,” I answered.

“Nora jumped after her and used her wings to slow down their fall,” Allison quickly added. “If it weren’t for her, it could’ve been worse. It’s not her fault.”

“I see,” Dr. Blake responded, still looking at his unconscious daughter. “She fell because of my lack of planning.”

“Excuse me, Ma’am.”

Belaury’s ears twitched, and she turned to look at Keith. “What do you want, murderer?”

Keith’s eyes widened. “W-what?”

“That uniform,” she said, pointing at it. “I was sure I had seen it before, and now I know why. It used to be white. Am I wrong?”

The wide-eyed knight didn’t reply. His mouth was agape.

“Oh yes. I do remember numerous parties of human knights dressed in pure white, searching for survivors in the forest; making sure they got all of us.”

“Yes, it was our order who did that. I can’t deny that it happened…” He took a deep breath. “Listen. I know there’s no way we can redeem ourselves for what we did, but we are trying all we can to help the remaining survivors out. We’ve changed!”

“Changed?” Belaury asked, mockingly. “Am I to believe that you suddenly decided we weren’t a threat to your race anymore?”

“It wasn’t instant, as much as I would like to say it was,” Keith replied. “But I can guarantee we really have.”

“I wasn’t born yesterday, you know.”

“Considering you haven’t thrown another fireball at me, I believe you’re open to the idea, at least. I swear to the eight gods that I’m telling the truth. Does that help?”

Belaury was taken aback by the sudden oath. It didn’t last long, though. “No,” she finally said. “It wouldn’t be the first time someone lies, knowing they can take the punishment. And I’m certainly not staying long enough to find out if you are. Is Anna ready, Vik?”

“She is stable,” he replied. “Rest is necessary, but the bones are healed. If we-”

“Good,” Belaury interrupted, grabbing my hand and standing up. “It’s time for us to leave then.”

“Wait, what?” I shouted as she started pulling me to the forest.

“Bel…” Viken didn’t move from his place as he spoke her name.

“Leave? Where?” Keith asked the old man.

“Far,” Belaury replied, still facing forward. “Wherever no human can find us again.”

“I can’t go with you,” I said, trying to stop her by refusing to move my legs.

She halted, then looked down to give me a sympathetic smile. “You are my apprentice, Nora.” This time, not even Dr. Blake missed it. His eyes were as wide as the other humans’. “You must come with us in order to continue your training. There is no other way. Please, do this for me. You can come back later, if that’s what you wish.”

I struggled and freed myself from her grip, taking two steps back away from her. “I can’t do that! I really can’t.”

Belaury stared at me in silence, biting her lip.

I reached for her sleeve. “Please stay?”

“And wait for that man to call his friends?,” she replied. “I’m sorry, Nora. I know it’s hard, but that’s the only way we can continue with your training.”

“But I can’t leave my family and friends…”

My teacher freed herself and turned around. “Fine. Stay, if that’s what you want. I hope you don’t come to regret your decision.”

She was already walking away when Viken caught up to her and grabbed her by the shoulder. He leaned closer and whispered something in her ear. She was motionless as she listened. When her husband finished, Belaury returned. She went past me and only stopped once she was in front of Keith. She planted a finger into his chest and spoke. “If you try anything, I swear, divine justice will be the least of your worries.”

Retaking her previous route to the forest, she crouched and whispered in my ear. “You’re all free from your oath. There’s no point in keeping it now that the secret is out. I’m sure you’ll need it. I’ll be waiting at the same place for your training. Don’t be late, Nora.” Those were her last words before they walked away and entered the forest. Keith and Dr. Blake tried to stop them, but they didn’t listen. They continued walking until they were out of sight.

“Her apprentice?” Jack asked right after they were gone.

“It’s a long story,” I replied.

“We have plenty of time to hear it,” Dr. Blake countered. “Jack, would you mind taking Anna to the laboratory? I need to make sure that she’s really out of danger. Please be gentle.” Jack nodded, and Anna’s body rose from the ground, floating next to him. It was clear that he had learned quite a few tricks on his trip. Satisfied, the doctor turned around. “Allison, Nora, explain how you know those elves.”

---<>----------<>----------<>---

Having my teacher’s permission, we told them everything on our way back, and the talk continued once we got home, where everyone else joined the conversation. That included Rex, who had been left behind at the lake by himself until Dr. Blake called the assistants that stayed with him.

Keith was surprised to learn Belaury was an elementalist. I assumed he realised thiswhen she threw the fireball, but apparently, it took more than that to become one. It was common for the mages to use different types of magic, so even if someone was very good at using fire magic, it didn’t make them a master. According to him, the title of Elementalist was something given only to those who had a mastery of most, if not all, of the elements.

He also mentioned that such individuals were thought to be extinct, considering their already low numbers centuries ago. It was something Belaury never bothered mentioning. And it wasn’t the only thing she omitted. Apparently, it wasn’t enough to have the scientific knowledge to use elemental magic; it was also necessary to know how to manipulate mana in order to have it fulfil those mechanics. My blessing probably helped me with that, but I wondered why she decided to hide such an important piece of information from us.

We also had to explain my blessing to Dr. Blake, though he had a hard time believing the talk about the eight gods. Keith confirmed their existence, even though he wasn’t sure those entities were what they claimed to be. Still, I honestly couldn’t blame the doctor for being so sceptical. If it weren’t for the one spirit occasionally talking to me, I would probably share that thinking. In that regard, Lucy, who arrived after having another session with Connor, was the most interested. What she believed was a second personality had suddenly become something much more intriguing. Well, that was if this entity was real and not an actual figment of my imagination.

Regarding my magic lesson, Dr. Blake insisted on going with us to properly meet my Belaury. I tried telling him about her hate of humans, and that there was a chance she wouldn’t even show up in his presence, but he said it was fine. All he wanted was to have a word with my teacher concerning my training. In short, his aim was to come to an agreement and have her train me closer to the centre. With what I told him, he suspected there was no way she would accept going inside, so his main goal was to have her teach me by the terrace.

Keith was immediately shut down when he suggested going with us, too. Considering Belaury’s view on the Spectres, it was for the best that we waited until she considered he was really telling the truth. I assumed it would be clear by the next day, since her own punishment reflected that way. Reminded of it, I wondered what she would get from breaking her second oath. She certainly didn’t look too worried about it when she left. She was just angry.

---<>----------<>----------<>---

When the time came, I found Dr. Blake talking to Alex, who had finally become active with the sunset. The doctor had a small bag hanging from his shoulder. It looked like my Fessy’s sleeve, although slightly bigger and with a rectangular box inside it, instead of a tiny flute. I tried asking them what was in it, but all they said was that it was an item that Keith gave them to help him persuade my teacher into listening to what they had to say. I remembered how the knight mentioned using magic tools to bribe the survivors, so it probably was one of them. I did wonder how he got it so fast. Did Keith just carry those things around?

Our first stop was the playground. We couldn’t forget about our hidden loot, after all. It was important for Sylvia’s health. Seeing everything we had inside that tree made the doctor laugh most of the way after that. It was good in a sense. That way Belaury knew it wasn’t just Alex and me this time. It gave her time to prepare. Maybe even hide, if that’s what she decided to do. The former became true when we stepped into the clearing. She was there, glaring daggers at us, but still in sight.

“Stay where you are!” my teacher yelled before we got close enough. We did as she said without question. “What are you doing here, human?”

Dr. Blake raised his hands to the air and answered. “I simply wish to talk. It won’t take long, I promise. I will leave after that, if you want me to. I believe it’s in your best interest.”

“And why would that be?” she asked, crossing her arms. “What’s that thing you carry?”

Dr. Blake cleared his throat. “I am well aware of your fear of humans, and I-”

“Do not confuse my hatred for fear, human,” Belaury interrupted. “The fact that I’ve survived this far is proof of my abilities.”

“Regardless,” Dr. Blake continued. “The point is that you are keeping your distance from us. That is, as much as it pains me to say it, the right choice in my opinion. I’m sure Nora has commented on it in the past, but this place is kept secret from most of the population for a reason. And it’s precisely for that reason that I believe it’s not quite safe to train so deep in the forest at night.”

“The woods are safe around these parts,” she countered. “Even more since it became a restricted area.”

Dr. Blake raised an eyebrow. “You knew about that?”

She chuckled and shook her head slowly. “The whole place is covered in signs. There’s even one on top of my home. I would need to be blind not to notice.”

“Right. that makes sense.” He nodded. “Unfortunately, that may not last for long. Other places like this have been found and attacked despite those signs. All of them at night. People are scared, and they can be reckless because of it.”

Places? Not just one?

“So?” She asked, crossing her arms. “Isn’t that a bigger reason for me to stay away from your deathtrap?”

“Not if the location you are currently using is in the way,” he retorted. “This forest is, as you said, quite safe for now. That may change very soon, however. While the resurrection of the magical races is still being held secret, the situation is reaching a point where that will no longer be possible. We don’t expect anything radical, but who knows how most of the population will react once the truth is revealed. I believe it’s better to be prepared. And for that reason, we will no longer allow Nora to go this far out at night.”

“And so, you want us to go with you. Do you really think we’d stay near that knight of yours? I’d be safer dancing blindfolded on top of that tower you built.”

Dr. Blake took a deep breath and continued, “It doesn’t have to be inside the building. We can reach a middle ground.”

She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms. “What are you suggesting?”

He smiled. It wasn’t clever of him, but she thankfully didn’t notice. Despite their superior eyesight. Elves were just as blind as humans in the dark. “We have a nice spacious terrace right outside of the building. You wouldn’t need to enter, and we can make sure that everyone stays safe at night. Worst case scenario, you can still head inside for shelter.”

There was no response. She simply stared at him in silence.

“There is another alternative,” he continued. “While doing so at night is out of the question, you’re still free to use any place you want if you change your lessons to take place during the day.”

Belaury thought about it. After some time, she sighed and shook her head once more. “My husband might agree to that. I cannot. I’m not comfortable with either option.”

“Is there any way we can prove ourselves to you? Keith swore to your gods earlier, and I couldn’t help noticing your reaction. Perhaps I could do the same?”

“If you noticed that, then surely you heard what I said right after.”

He nodded. “Yes. That’s why I’m asking. Nora has already told me that breaking such an oath brings punishment by the gods themselves. As someone with no religion, I find this stuff hard to believe, but I consider myself open-minded. If there really is a punishment, wouldn’t you be able to confirm the truth of my words soon?”

Belaury didn’t respond. She looked down, thinking about it. I was genuinely impressed that she was actually considering any of his suggestions. I expected her to refuse anything he said, just like how she tended to ignore or insult Alex during my lessons.

He continued. “You stayed, and you did so knowing we have one of those knights around. To me, it means that, not only does your goal here outweigh your hatred towards us, but you can also confirm whether his word is truthful or not. If that’s the case for him, why wouldn’t that apply to us?”

Dr. Blake took a step forward, and then another. We followed him. In my case, it was out of concern. I tried pulling his sleeve to get his attention. He was pushing it. He ignored me and kept walking until he was a couple of metres away from her. She was still unresponsive.

“Perhaps this can help convince you,” the old man said, pulling out the box from the bag he carried. “The knight gave it to me, but I’ve confirmed the contents are harmless.”

Belaury hesitated, unsurprisingly. Her curiosity, however, got the best of her, and she accepted the gift before taking a few steps back. Once at a safe distance, she examined the box. After some shaking and prodding, she opened the box and froze. She looked like a statue. I couldn’t even see a sign of breathing. I ran to her in concern, causing her eyes to shift to me. Realising she was fine, I stopped and sighed, holding a hand to my chest.

My teacher looked back up, facing the doctor, and spoke once more. “I have additional conditions.”

9