Chapter 2:
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Shutting the door behind him, Keros surveyed the street. As usual the street had a lot of foot traffic. 
 
The stronghold is called Enceladus, and there are a lot of residents. There aren't many places that humans can reside safely on New Genesis, no more than 4 that are known of, and the larger the stronghold the more difficult it is to protect. The consequence of this is congestion. Tons of people living in a space that doesn't seem quite large enough for them.
 
Keros blended in with the busy crowd, heading east.
 
If you want to get around in New Genesis then you have two choices. You hoof it or you take public transportation unless you're in the upper class of course as they enjoy luxuries that the majority do not. Personal transportation is one of those many luxuries, which serves to show the status and give convenience to those that enjoy it.
 
Unfortunately, Keros' family did not enjoy such luxuries. While being accomplished in the Military holds its own prestige, it's not enough to join the upper class in Enceladus(in-cell-a-dis).
 
There are perks to walking and taking public transportation though. You can get some exercise and mingle with the people, absorbing the liveliness that accompanies the hustle and bustle of so many people.
 
As keros moved through towards his destination, he listened to and observed those around him. Some were boisterous, laughing and bumping into those around them with no courtesy to be seen. some were having serious conversations, and though Keros couldn't make out the words, from their tones and expressions he would guess what the topic was about. Gossip about neighbors, complaining about their family, worried about someone, terrified of beasts. He made it into a game, but he couldn't find out if his guess was correct so there was no winning.
 
It didn't take too long to reach the game center, Keros was quick and learned how to move amongst a crowd long ago.
 
Keros navigated to the area where the obstacle course was and began looking for Booker. Coincidently he found him at the start of the course. Booker was about to challenge the course and was just waiting on the Alarm that signaled the start. Keros looked up at the leaderboard hanging opposite the viewing area. The screen showed a list of 120 ranks, as well as the name and time that correlated with each rank. Every 30 seconds 100 of the ranks would change and descend to the next 100, only the top 20 ranks remained on the screen constantly. The board was currently at 1300-1400 and after a few seconds, it changed. Scanning the board Keros found Booker's name at rank 1496. Surprisingly Booker already went through the course once, and he even broke into the top 1500 with a time of 1:53.92! He wasn't done either, obviously, Booker thought he could do better, or he wouldn't have paid for his second attempt.
 
The game center offered a subscription that allowed you to challenge any game once a day at no charge though you still had to wait in line, any consecutive attempts would cost a few credits, and it would cost even more to jump into the priority line. It could take some time to get a second attempt unless you paid extra for priority considering that so many people attempted and any success could take minutes.
 
*Briiiing*
 
The alarm sounded. Keros quickly moved his eyes back on Booker just in time to see him rush passed the starting line. He moved fast and reached the first obstacle at full speed. A wall stood before him at 5 meters, with a rope strung from the top. He leaped, clearing a distance of 2 meters before his foot slammed into the wall just shy of the halfway point, and using the leverage gained from his momentum he kicked out propelling himself upward. while flying up he grabbed the rope just before losing momentum and used it to assist him in reaching the top, then grabbing the top of the wall he kicked out again vaulting himself over and falling 5 meters, landing on the ground firmly before bolting toward the next obstacle. Booker started blazing through obstacle after obstacle, showing the techniques he had learned or developed in order to increase his speed. People cheered as their blood pumped from the exciting sight. Booker was in the zone, and it showed. If he could keep this up then his rank would definitely jump a few more places.
 
Towards the latter half of the run, Booker started to slow down. The consequence of pushing his limits was showing and his stamina began to run out. It was a good tactic in a short time trial like this, come out of the gate at full throttle and get through the challenge before you ran out of steam. Unfortunately, Booker hadn't built his stamina up enough to last this full course. Never the less, he still beat his previous time.
 
1:49.55
 
Looking at the leaderboard Keros watched as it immediately swapped to display Bookers time and rank. That run allowed him to jump 72 spots to 1424. Quite the jump and well deserved, but he still had a long way to go before he could breach the top 1000. It would take a time around 1:20 to compete with those below 1000, and as your time got lower the harder it would be to improve your skills and beat your personal record.
 
Keros made his way toward the exit of the obstacle course so he could meet up with Booker.
 
"Well done! that was pretty awesome." Keros said as he approached
 
"K-Ros! So you made it in time to catch my run?" Booker replied with a cocky grin
 
the youths walked over to the viewing area to watch the next few challengers. They talked all the while about the performances. Booker did most of the talking since he challenged the course so much he had a level of expertise that Keros didn't. Before too long they both left the game center and stopped off for drinks at a place that is popular with the youths in Enceladus called 'Mango'. they ordered drinks before taking a seat close to the entrance.
 
"Why don't you give the obstacle course a try?" Booker said between sips of his fruit smoothie.
 
"I don't know... I guess I just feel like I'm too busy with other things. with school, training, and homework, I don't have much free time afterward. The free time I do have is spent hanging out with you and my family, martial arts, and learning cool skills." Keros said with a sigh while glancing out of the entrance of the shop.
 
"I bet you'd do good." a feminine voice sounded out.
 
Keros and Booker simultaneously look over to see a blushing girl. They recognized her because they shared classes with her. Her name is Millie.
 
"Why do you say that?" Keros asked, unsure why she would think so since they don't know each other well.
 
"You always do well at physical education in school... It's like a walk in the park for you, but a lot of us struggle to catch our breath." Millie states lightly.
 
"I didn't know anyone paid me any attention in P.E... Maybe I could do okay, but I think it would be pretty difficult to match up to Book on the course." Keros said with a light chuckle. He was surprised but glad to have been noticed for his hard work.
 
"It's all good K-Ros, any newbie would find it hard to surpass an expert like me." Booker boasted, seemingly happy with the unexpected compliment.
 
"Do you two go to the game center often?" Millie asked
 
"Whenever we have some free time. I usually stick to the obstacle course, and K-Ros fights in matches. We are pretty good." Booker said, confidence and pride oozing out of his mouth along with the words.
 
"I'll bring my friends to watch you two sometime, a couple of us compete in games there too just for fun." Millie said with a smile.
 
Shortly after the two finished their drinks and left, heading home. They lived close together so they often walked home together after school and when they finished at the game center. After arriving at the entrance to an apartment complex 150 meters from Keros' house Booker waved Keros off before disappearing behind the door.
 
Keros entered his house which is dimly lit. his parents were sitting on the couch with wine in their hands having a quiet conversation. They both had smiles on their faces, clearly enjoying their private time and each other's company. Keros briefly greeted them, letting them know he was home before making his way towards his room.
 
"Keros. Lets talk for a minute." Jack called out. before taking Jessicas hand and giving it a kiss and standing up beckoning Keros to follow him. He led Keros to the backyard.
 
Jack looked up at the night sky, maybe contemplating something, or perhaps just enjoying the view. The moon was big and bright, shedding a pale white light down on New Genesis. many stars were visible as well, with some slight variance in the colors.
 
"The view at night is so much better when out in the wild." Jack said lightly, which was very unlike him.
 
he continued "Enceladus has a lot of lights on through the night and that makes it more difficult to clearly see the stars. From what I've heard, its call light pollution. So I developed the habit of looking up at the stars when outside the walls. It's a small relaxation to me, but invaluable in this world."
 
silence ensued, Keros didn't know what to say. He was still unsure why he was brought outside to talk... 'does he really just want to talk about the stars?' Keros thought.
 
"Do you think the training I set for you is too hard? Do you think that I push you too hard?" Jack broke the silence
 
"W-what? why do you ask?" Keros stammered, slightly nervous
 
"Your tone, expressions, and body language when I'm around. Especially when I'm training you. It feels like you're always tense around me." Jack said calmly, his eyes still focused on the sky.
 
Keros thought for a little bit. his father seemed oddly calm, with an air of gentleness that the man never shows. maybe he could tell his father how he felt.
 
"I-it's hard... You always have me train until I'm exhausted, and my body is aching. I don't like it." Keros said, looking over at his father to see his reaction
 
Jack sighed "I know it's hard, but that's what it takes to be strong."
 
"But why do I need to be so strong right now? I'm still a kid! I want to be able to have more of a life like my friends!" gaining more courage from his father's demeanor Keros spoke again, slightly raising his voice
 
Jack's eyes twitched and some sorrow crossed his face briefly, unnoticed by Keros, before his expression tensed. his gaze left the sky and focused on the wall in front of him.
 
"In 5 years, you'll no longer be a kid. Then you'll understand why I force you to train so hard, and you'll see it was for your benefit." Jack said, his voice having become firm and slightly forceful
 
Keros was oblivious to the changes his father was going through as they had the conversation. Drunk with false courage his attitude and actions continued to inflate
 
"For my benefit? How is it for my benefit? Most kids haven't even started training yet, and the ones that have, train for a quarter as long as I do, and a fifth as hard! They get to conserve their energy and go out have fun while I'm stuck at home or in the gym working to the bone for strength that I don't need!" Keros bellowed, practically yelling at his father at this point
 
"You don't know anything. Do you think strength is just something that's always there for you to use when you need it? That isn't how it works, you have to constantly train and improve yourself so that when the time comes that you need power, you'll have it! It is a lifestyle!" Jacks voice became deeper and he turned to face Keros
 
"Us Vaolairs have made a tradition of being hard workers with a high level of willpower. Hard work and strong willpower allow us to walk a path that most cannot, a path that power and pride! As long as one carries the Vaolair name, they need to be able to persevere through hardships!" Jack said with a mix of a commanding tone, confidence, and pride
 
"The strength I have now is good enough!" Keros yelled, his voice becoming hoarse
 
"and all I know of the Vaolairs is you, and I think your tradition is torturing your son! You don't even treat me like a son! I follow your training and never miss a day, I do what I'm told and what I should do!"
 
Keros' face twisted exposing anger and dismay in his expression and he started using more body language, his arms helping to convey his feelings as much as his expression
 
"I get good grades, and I don't cause trouble. What more do I need to do for you to be proud of me?! I understand now though, you'll never be proud of me. You'll never love me! and if what it means to be a Vaolair is to be an asshole like you, then I don't want to be one!"
 
at that moment jacks face scrunched, moving with an incredible speed he closed the gap between himself and Keros. Swinging his arm out he slapped Keros across the face. As Keros began to fall from the sudden slap, Jack's arm fired out and grasped the front of Keros' shirt and pulled him up, nearly lifting him off the ground and closing the distance between their faces. Even in his anger Jack was able to control his strength. The slap wasn't even as powerful as some of the strikes given when they sparred even with a swollen face Keros didn't feel much pain, but it wasn't the strength behind it that made it impactful. It was the meaning it conveyed.
 
"First off, you watch the way you speak to me. I am your father and you can't begin to understand why I do the things I do. Secondly, you will never curse me like that again, I expect you to show me the respect I deserve."
 
he spoke in a calm steady voice, but with a fierce tone.
 
"You have no right to claim that I don't love you. I provide for you, and I spend more time than you can imagine planning for you. I'm doing everything I can to set the foundation for your future, and instill what little I have knowledge about into you. You might not have realized that or maybe you just don't think that's love, but you'll know eventually how much I've cared for you."
 
stopping for a short while to regulate himself, jack took a second to study Keros' face. Fear, hurt, and regret were the primary feelings he observed. Jack's breathing calmed more, his hand loosened a bit allowing Keros' heals to touch the ground again, and his voice became more gentle.
 
"And maybe you don't want to be a Vaolair, but fortunately son, you ARE a Vaolair. I know you're still just a kid and you can't understand just how valuable our tradition is, but one day... One day you'll grow up, and mature. You'll face the hardships that life throws at you, and you will struggle. You'll fight, and you'll go to war against the darkness that is hidden within the secrets of this world. And when that time comes you'll learn to have pride in this name of ours, because the legacy of our name lies in the 'torture' that I have put you through. It is an incredible boon that isn't easily obtained without a lifetime of hardships."
 
releasing Keros' shirt, Jack continues
 
"I know I've never given you a reason to doubt me, so trust me on this Keros. Learn to accept this discomfort of training. Because while you might not need what it teaches right now, but in the future, you will and you won't have to learn it on your own because you will have already learned it from me."
 
silence. Keros's mind was jumbled, thrown into disarray by his father's actions and sudden changes in demeanor. Gathering his thoughts and running what his father said back through his mind he started to calm down a bit as he processed the words his father spoke.
 
Keros nodded
 
jack turned towards the door and started towards it
 
"I know I don't express my emotions often... even less when it concerns you. That doesn't mean they aren't there though, son."
 
he opened the door
 
"You've done well so far, but you can't stop improving." he said as he walked away.
 
------------------------------------
 
Keros laid in bed, thinking about what had just occurred. Maybe he had been too childish. There were truths in his father's words that even he recognized. His father must have spent a lot of his time planning out the training regimen that Keros followed, added with the time he spent personally sparring with Keros, observing his techniques and progress, altering the regimen as needed. Surely that was an example of love.
 
And what was that about expecting his father to be proud of him for doing what he should be doing anyway? That was definitely a childish way to think. He has to do these things anyway, why should anyone be proud of him because he is taking care of his own business? The more Keros though, the more embarrassed he became. Sure doubts were still there since he saw how other kids interacted with their fathers, but maybe his father was right and he would understand it better as he matured.
 
Resolving to change his mindset, Keros drifted to sleep.
0