Chapter 3
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
In the living room, Jack and Jessica sat beside each other. The atmosphere in the room was gloomy, and Jack's face was sullen.
 
"He is still too young my love. He doesn't have the experience needed to understand how much you've given him. So please, don't take his words to heart. He will appreciate all that you've done in time." Jessica said, before reaching over to stroke Jacks hand
 
Jack sighed
 
"I know Jess. I keep telling myself that, but it still pains me to know how he feels. I have flashes of doubt at times, that maybe I am wrong by depriving him of the enjoyable childhood he could have."
 
"I believe losing a few years of your childhood in exchange for being prepared for the real world is worth it. The struggle you have introduced to him early will allow him to live an easier life down the line." Jessica consoled him
 
"that's what I've believed... If that's so, then why haven't I started to prepare Catherine?" Jack responded, seemingly stating an observation rather than asking a question
 
"Well, what's the reason? I know you've thought about this all before. so you must have a good reason." Jessica asked him, with an inquisitive gaze
 
Jack spun his hand, so he could grasp his wives. He turned his head to face her
 
"Catherine is different than Keros... I don't believe that she could handle it. She is carefree and whimsical, without the drive needed to accept the hardship."
 
Jacks eyes brightened
 
"Keros though... He has the qualities needed to become extraordinary. In his eyes, I see fire, a determination to fight against whatever stands in his way on the path to achieve what he wants. I feel his desire to improve when we spare, even if he doesn't seem to enjoy it, he still trains to become better than he was yesterday."
 
Jack showed a huge grin
 
"All of that is just a byproduct of the most important quality. His heart. You've noticed it too haven't you?"
 
"Elaborate." Jessica said, flashing a smile before bringing her wine glass to her lips
 
"My father told me that a man needs to 'have heart'. I thought he meant that a man needed to be compassionate and kind, but that isn't quite right. 'Having heart' is about self-confidence more than anything. Believing that you can overcome any obstacle, and face any challenge put before you.  It's about having the courage to confront the most terrifying enemy, and steady your legs."
 
Jacks grasp on Jessica's hand became tighter
 
"When a man can have such courage and self-confidence, then he will never falter on his path. Fail? he might, but he will try again and again until he succeeds. He will stand up for what he believes in, and he will protect what is important to him. He will become a pillar that holds the sky up for those around him. And oftentimes as an effect of these qualities, he will be compassionate to those around him, because his only true rival and enemy, is himself."
 
jack breaths deeply, composing himself and takes his own glass of wine, taking a large gulp.
 
"And Keros has all of these qualities already?" Jessica asks as she raises an eyebrow
 
"No, and I don't expect him to, He is still too young, and developing these qualities take a lot of self-exploration. What's important is the potential. I've noticed small hints of a few, but that is already surprising. I believe that one day, if he finds out what type of man he wants to be, he will grow and become a man with 'Heart'. I think such a man would be an inspiration to all, and achieve the impossible." Jack closed his eyes, savoring the emotions he is feeling
 
"Well, I certainly believe our children are special and that they will lead great and entertaining lives," Jessica responded playfully
 
Jack pulled on her arm, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her forehead before fully embracing her.
 
"Thank you, Jessica, for helping me dispel the doubts I had."
 
--------------------
 
 
*Bzzzzz!*
 
*Beep! Beep! Beep!*
 
Keros' eyes slowly opened. He shifted in his bed so he could see his alarm clock. 5:45 was shown in on the digital clock in bright orange. Shutting off the alarm, he leans up and wipes at his eyes to clear the muck caused by sleeping and to attempt to reduce the groggy feeling.
 
He slept for almost 6 hours. 7 hours of sleep would be considered average for Keros. The days are long, but his responsibilities take up quite a bit of that time. While he still has some unallocated time in his day, much of that gets spent on random things throughout the day.
 
His mind drifted back to the events of last night. Even after a good sleep, he still felt that he was in the wrong. Even if he didn't have much free time, he now thought that he had enough. Even the things he despised doing still returned benefits, he just didn't see the benefits clearly. Like yesterday when Millie commented on his performance in P.E., it's true that it wasn't as difficult for him as it was most of the other kids. Or how Booker was winded mid-way through the obstacle course, Keros was confident that he would last longer before running out of steam. There were countless small almost unnoticed benefits that came from his rigorous daily training regimen, but when compiled into a whole were awesome benefits that offset the discomfort of the training he despised so much.
 
Were things truly as terrible as he felt they were? Likely, no. Keros had just been too immature, and too ignorant. He had failed to see the good that was a result of his struggles. He had been short-sighted, and he didn't see the effort his parents put into raising him, and he had only taken everything at face value. Now he knew better, and now he needed to change, he needed to improve. He knew changing would be difficult, and it wouldn't be immediate, but he knew he could do it.
 
after the short session of self-reflection, he climbed off of his bed and sat on his floor. He sat cross-legged, adjusted his posture, and straightened his back. He closed his eyes and began to breathe deeply allowing his mind to let go of all the chaotic thoughts swimming within. He was meditating as his parents had taught him. The goal was to enter a state of immersion and feel the changes in the surroundings, and the changes within him.
 
Meditation was a form of training, and one of the only ways known to train your mind and soul. It also had benefits for your body as well. Eventually, you would be able to draw energy in from your immediate surroundings that would nourish your body, strengthening your muscles, bones, ligaments, and a very slight increase to your organs. The benefits were accumulative. Not much was increased each time, but as long as you kept it up over time the changes would be significant.
 
However, it isn't easy to reach a state of immersion. Some achieve it quickly, But many struggle, sometimes for years. It's said that experiencing something that causes powerful emotions can play a role in how fast you reach immersion, and battle is often considered a good way to obtain such an experience. 
 
It's also possible to find one day that you can no longer enter immersion, usually after a significant event in the person's life. It's said that immersion requires you to know yourself to a certain extent, and if you lose sight of who you are then you also lose your immersion. Losing the ability to enter the state of immersion causes a big impact on the person, sometimes breaking the person to a point that they are never able to recover. After all, Immersion is said to be one of the tools needed to become strong, and without it, you are destined to stagnate.
 
However, even without being able to reach the state of immersion, meditation still brings benefits to your mind and soul. When you meditate you are clearing your mind of all thoughts, some let go of all negative and positive thoughts, while others accept them and integrate them into who they are. Either way, it cleanses the person in a sense. It's like a thick fog that always obscures your vision suddenly lifting, allowing you to see the sunrise on the horizon as that fog clears. The feeling his marvelous.
 
Keros hasn't yet attained the state of immersion, but surprisingly he can feel some of the fog within, lift before disappearing. He has made it further than he had ever before, and this was the first time he had felt a change in the fog that obscured his being. He sat in silence after his meditation, organizing the thoughts that rushed back into his mind. 
 
'There is only one reason that makes sense for this to have happened.'
 
 Last night was very impactful to him, and when he thought back on it he was able to glimpse his flaws. He discovered a bit of who he truly is, and the person he strives to become.
 
'Like two sides of the same coin, the darkness brought with it the light. One couldn't exist without the other. Both Darkness and Light are essential, and they are equally balanced.'
 
Keros hadn't realized it yet, but he had just touched upon an obscure truth of life. An essential rule that existed in everything that there was. It didn't require fortune or luck to be enlightened on this truth, it did require an understanding of both the negative and the positive in life.
 
Keros smiled. He stood up and went about his daily routine. Cardio, hygiene, and preparing for school.
 
-----------------
 
Keros left his room, well-groomed, and looking more self-confident than he had ever before. He was dressed in light blue jeans that bordered white, with his dull black long sleeve dress shirt that had the school's sky blue logo on the left pec, and dark brown leather boots. His hair was styled and pulled back unlike his usually messy hair. He wore a necklace that he wore every day, Booker had one just like it, and it was a token of their friendship. The necklace was a pendant in the shape of a wolf, suspended on his neck by a thin metal chain.
 
Walking to the kitchen he found his mother and father. His mother was busy making breakfast, and his father was sitting at the table drinking coffee.
 
"Good morning son." Jessica said, without turning from the stove.
 
"Morning mom, dad." Keros said, before getting a cup and filling it with tap water. he sat at the table, to the left of his father.
 
Nothing more was said. They sat in silence, and the only noise was coming from the stove and his mother lightly humming. Shortly Keros had finished his glass of water, and his mother finished breakfast. Four egg sandwiches on paper towels, one for each. Before Jessica could bring the sandwiches to the table, Catherine came skipping into the kitchen.
 
Catherine is 8, and she has a very carefree personality. It's rare to see her downcast, and she is almost always happy and energetic. Catherine and Keros didn't get along very well, he thought she was annoying and she thought he was too serious and boring. 
 
Catherine is short, with medium length dark brown her like her father. she had a round delicate face slightly resembling her mother. She wore clothes that suited her personality, bright and colorful, and she rarely followed the school dress code. She could get away with it because she was well-liked, and didn't cause much trouble. His personality was intoxicating to most, and affected the people around her, making it hard to be anything but joyful. She was like a Daisy flower able to brighten anyone's day, hence her nickname given to her by her father, Daisy.
 
As witnessed this morning, Catherine did whatever she wanted and didn't follow the normal flow of life. She also had a habit of bending the rules to make the situation more favorable for her, but she did so without stepping on anyone's toes so no one saw it as a big issue.
 
She certainly seemed spoiled, or she had the personality of someone that had been spoiled.
 
"Morning mommy, Morning daddy." she said in a childish tone as she took her sandwich and sat down. immediately digging in.
 
Jessica brought a cup of juice that she had poured earlier in preparation, and put in by Catherine "Morning little Daisy."
 
"Morning Daisy." Jack said with a small smile.
 
The family ate relatively quickly, after all, everyone had things to do and time waited for no one. The majority of the sound came from Daisy, who hummed a song to herself and ate in a boisterous manner. Jessica seemed to have also been infected by Catherine and was more lively as a result. Only Keros and Jake sat and ate in relative silence.
 
Shortly everyone had finished, and they all began to rise and get on with their day. Keros and Catherine would be going to school, and who knew what their parents would be doing. As Catherine and Keros headed to the door, Keros hesitated for a moment before stopping and turning his head to look at his father.
 
"Sorry, and thanks, dad." he said before following Catherine out of the door and down the street. This was the best he could manage right now. He had resolved himself to change and improve, but it wouldn't happen overnight.
 
Jack stood, slightly stunned. A smile briefly flashed across his face, before he gathered himself and left with Jessica.
 
Keros forced Catherine to stop in front of the apartment that Booker lived in, much to her annoyance. Luckily it wasn't long before Booker came out and joined them as they walked to school.
 
"What are you all dressed up for?" Booker asked in a grainy voice, noting Keros' well-kempt appearance
 
Keros laughed lightly, he knew Booker wasn't a morning person and it always made him laugh at the stark difference between morning booker, and normal Booker. "I just thought it might be nice to make a change, and maybe take a bit more pride in myself."
 
--------------------
 
*Briing*
 
A short bell sound rang out, signifying a 10-minute break in between classes.
 
Keros gathered his things into his bag and stood up to leave the room, Booker closely followed. They shared all the same classes which were unusual but likely due to intervention by their parents. Truth be told, Their parents were the reason they had become friends in the first place. They were two entirely different people. Keros was more reserved, calm, and serious. Booker was energetic, loud, and charismatic. For some reason though, they got along well. They were as close as brothers and were often seen together. They weren't super popular in the school, but when one was mentioned the other would undoubtedly be mentioned right after.
 
The two went to the cafeteria, and up to a vending machine. Keros pulled out the card his mother had given him. This was a small thin card with an incredibly thin screen on it. It could be loaded up with credits and scanned to buy things. His mother had put some credits on it yesterday for him to use for a while. When his parents were gone working for a long time, Keros would have to do small odd jobs to get some spending money. Some of the elders would pay him to do basic labor, and he could work at the gym as a sparring partner for some of the younger members.
 
He chose a drink he enjoyed called 'Sunrise'. It came in a sunburnt orange can and had a mild fruity color. It was his favorite partially because of the flavor but also because it was healthy and didn't contain that junk that 'Red Riot' had in it. Booker was next and chose a weaker energy drink, as the school didn't sell the stronger drinks that were his favorite.
 
Leaning against the wall Booker observed Keros, noticing the bruises that had started to appear overnight "I guess you lost when sparring against uncle J huh?"
 
"Sparring isn't about winning or losing. It's not a competition. But yea... I guess I would have lost if it was." Keros said in an educating tone. The bruises stung just a little, but he figured it was worth receiving them if it meant he could reap those benefits he was thinking about this morning.
 
"even though I lost, I still won too. I feel I'm a better fighter now if even just a little bit." Keros said with his lips curving upwards just a bit.
 
-----------------
 
P.E. was class was about to start. Everyone gathered and went to their respective locker rooms to get changed. Gym clothes were the one set of clothing that the school didn't require to have a logo on them, instead, every student was issued an armband that had the logo and school colors on it. The armband also monitored the vitals of each student so the school could more accurately reference the student's performance with the difficulty, and they were able to adjust the activities and exercises based on the average of the class as well.
 
All of the students gathered in the gym and awaited to be addressed by the coach.
 
"Alright, Today we are officially at the end of the first quarter of the school year. As such we will be conducting the quarterly assessment. All of you will need to follow me to the Franz Gymnasium!" The coach yelled so all of the students could hear him, checking over his tablet to make take attendance thanks to the armbands. Whoever had the armband on would have their name highlighted on the screen of the tablet.
0