Chapter 11
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
He turned to walk out of the door and noticed that the man was still there. He recognized the man. He hadn't before because of the chaos in his mind.
 
He had seen this man once or twice and had been told to call him 'uncle Rod'. All he knew about his 'uncle Rod' is that he was a lifelong friend of his father. Keros had never guessed that they worked together, though it made sense. How could they be such good friends if they see each other so rarely?
 
"Uncle Rod... What happened?" Keros asked in a flat tone
 
"I can't give you details... At least not right now. All you need to know is they were heroes who blocked the greatest danger the team had ever experienced, so some of us could escape." Uncle Rod replied in an equally flat tone
 
"Of course... I knew they were heroes." Keros said, reassuring himself.
 
"What relationship did you have with them?" Keros asked after a short pause
 
"Their Captain, their loyal friend, and your godfather." Uncle Rod spoke up. He wasn't quite as calm this time and Keros noticed his voice shake briefly
 
"You'll tell me the full story eventually... won't you?" Keros asked in a slightly defeated tone
 
Uncle Rod observed him for a bit before making a declaration
 
"One day. When I feel you're strong enough to beat the enemy, or mature enough to endure the truth until you become strong enough. That's when I'll tell you." Uncle Rod said with a gentle tone
 
"Soon, then." Keros replied with arrogance.
 
The two stood before each other in silence. They seemed to be observing each other, but their eyes were unfocused. Eventually, uncle Rod broke the silence.
 
"I'll send someone to pick you and your sister up tomorrow so she can say goodbye before the cremation and funeral."
 
"No... She can't see them like this. Can we cremate them now, and just let her say her goodbyes at the funeral tomorrow?" Keros replied with a question almost immediately
 
"Are you truly okay with depriving her of seeing her parents one last time?" uncle rod asked, seemingly growing angry
 
"Depriving her? I'm saving her from the mental anguish. She can't handle such a sight, especially not when it's of the ones that are most important to her. If she could, you all would have brought her here today." Keros said with a firm tone, not intimidated by the man in front of him at all.
 
Uncle Rod thought for a moment before nodding and walking out of the door without another word. Keros followed him.
 
Uncle Rod addressed the team, informing them that they would have the cremation today and funeral tomorrow. The team seemed surprised at first until the Captain explained the reason. No one said anything as they prepared the necessary items. They told Keros of the ritual, and he followed beside uncle Rod as his parents were carried on stretchers behind him.
 
They lead him into a small field behind the warehouse-like building, and to a spot where a pyre had been built. This was a warriors send-off. Their bodies would turn to ash and their souls would be cleansed in the fire before moving on. Normally a cultivator's body would be too strong to be fully destroyed in any reasonable time by normal fire. That's why special materials were added that would increase the intensity and burn away their bodies completely at a quick but steady speed.
 
Everyone had their own way to honor the dead during the ceremony. Squad fours way was to share a bottle of strong bitter alcohol while chanting a short song, with someone ending the chant by shouting a short farewell that included their true feelings of that person, good or bad. Then the chant would continue with the same words, and once again someone would shout their feelings. It would continue this way until everyone had a turn to bid farewell. If their bodies hadn't been reduced to ash by this point, everyone would watch in silence until they had.
 
Afterward, someone would recite a spontaneous eulogy. It would fully end after their ashes had been collected.
 
Keros and uncle Rod watched as Jack and Jessica were put on top of the pyre. Uncle Rod took this time to hand Keros a ring. It had been his father's. Uncle Rod explained that this ring had been ordered as a custom ring, and he had one just like it. It was a signal of their friendship and was to be passed down to their firstborn child, in hopes the friendship would continue with their children.
 
It wouldn't fit on Keros' finger... It was too big. So he held it tightly and stared at his parent's motionless bodies on the pyre.
 
-
 
Everyone stood around the pyre with straight backs and steady gazes. A torch was handed to Keros. It was considered an honor to light the pyre of a warrior, and Keros was given that honor. What could be more poetic than a child sending their parents off? Nothing.
 
Keros approached and stood close in front of the pyre. His face was twisted in a mix of emotions. Anger, agony, sorrow, and pride. Soon his face turned stoic and he gently pressed the fire onto the pyre. The pyre immediately lit up. Keros stepped back slowly, enduring the heat.
 
Someone on the far left took a large swig from a gallon jug, before passing it to his right. This continued until the bottle made it to the middle, where uncle Rod and Keros stood. Uncle Rod was on the left, so he took a swig, and then another, and one more. He passed the bottle to Keros. Keros had never had alcohol and normally one wouldn't drink alcohol until they turned sixteen, and anyone planning to become a warrior wouldn't drink until returning from their first battle.
 
Keros lifted the jug and gulped. He didn't know any limits and took five big gulps. The taste was bitter and burned his throat. When it made it to his chest he felt as though ice was poured over his heart, before an intense burning sensation overcame him. He passed the jug to his right and returned his gaze to the inferno in front of him.
 
The alcohol was meant to imitate their bitter feelings over losing someone. When the feeling of a buzz came they would become boisterous and it was used as a way to cast off that bitterness. Keros didn't know, but the alcohol he just chugged five gulps of was special and much stronger than normal. It had to be or it wouldn't affect a cultivator, much less ones as strong as those in squad four.
 
Soon everyone had their swigs, and the chanting began. Keros didn't know the words and hadn't had time to learn them so he simply listened.
 
"A warriors journey is hard.
Fraught with dangers and plagued by struggle.
Warriors fight for tomorrow, and live for today.
Brave and strong, is what a warrior must be.
For they give those behind them, a tomorrow to see.
 
A cultivators' path is long.
Contested by the heavens, and challenged by peers.
Cultivators' fight for power, and look to the future.
Determined and selfish is what they are.
For power is needed, to reach the stars.
 
Goodbye to the warrior you were, and the cultivator you have been. We'll meet among the stars, for we are kin." Their voices were perfectly in sync, and each person spoke with resolution. When their voices combined, it roared out like thunder.
 
One continued the chant with his farewell
 
"ONE WAS STERN, AND THE OTHER WAS GENTLE. BOTH WERE FIERCE. THANK YOU, YOU'LL ALWAYS BE MY HEROES!" He bellowed, releasing the negative emotions he had at that moment. Though the words weren't sophisticated, it was still beautiful.
 
The chant continued, as did everyone's farewell. Soon the only ones who hadn't given a farewell were uncle Rod and Keros. Keros wasn't a part of the team, so it was understandable that he wouldn't get a turn. The Captain of the team should be last, so that also made sense.
 
After the chant, Uncle Rod began.
 
"FRIENDS, PARTNERS, TEAMMATES, PARENTS, WARRIORS, CULTIVATORS... THESE WORDS DON'T DO JUSTICE WHEN SPEAKING OF YOUR MEMORY. NO WORD DOES JUSTICE, SO I'LL USE THE CLOSEST WORDS I CAN THINK OF... HEROES. LEGENDS. UNMATCHED! TODAY WE SEND OFF THE BEST OF US. IN THE NEXT LIFE, ALLOW US TO FOLLOW YOU!" Uncle Rod said with a roar. His voice quivered. His stoic demeanor was crumbling, but he did his best to pick up the pieces.
 
'A good ending.' Keros thought, as his eyes glossed over. He was happy that his parents were thought of so highly.
 
Unexpectedly, the chant rang out again. Everyone started back singing at the same time, and no one faltered. Why did they continue? It was supposed to end with the Captain's farewell. After the chant, all eyes locked on to Keros. They were allowing the boy to say goodbye to his parents as a warrior.
 
He had been brave. He had held himself together even after seeing his parents' lifeless bodies. He shielded his sister from the pain of experiencing such agony, regardless of the consequences. He had stood respectfully and acted as a warrior should. He was already resolved to take the path of a warrior and a cultivator, and while he might not be one yet, he was deserving of this respect.
 
Keros didn't begin immediately, instead, spending a few moments with bated breath before calming himself and speaking from his heart.
 
"STRONG AND BRAVE? ABSOLUTELY. DETERMINED, SURE... SELFISH? NEVER... YOU FOUGHT AND BEAT ENEMIES THAT WOULD GIVE LESSER HUMANS NIGHTMARES. YOU CONTINUED FORWARD EVEN WHEN YOU KNEW THE RISKS AND FACED ALL OBSTACLES ON YOUR PATH REGARDLESS OF THE CONSEQUENCES... YOU GAVE TO OTHERS WHEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE, WITHOUT EXPECTING A RETURN. YOU BURN ATOP A PYRE DUE TO YOUR SELFLESS NATURE... AND FOR THESE REASONS, I AM PROUD. YOU HAVE TAUGHT ME WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A MAN, A WARRIOR, AND A CULTIVATOR. AND YOU HAVE TAUGHT US ALL WHAT IT MEANS TO BE HUMAN..." He paused, but it was obvious that he wasn't finished. He just needed to collect his words and steady his breathing
 
"I'LL FOLLOW YOUR TEACHINGS, AND YOU WERE RIGHT, LIFE IS HARD AND UNFAIR. BUT TODAY I HAVE LEARNED SOMETHING ON MY OWN... LIFE IS ALSO FRAGILE AND CAN BE INFLUENCED BY POWER... SO I'LL BECOME STRONG. I'LL CRUSH EVERYTHING BAD IN THIS WORLD AND REMOLD IT INTO SOMETHING BETTER... AND WHEN I STAND ON THE TOP, I'LL PULL YOU BOTH UP TO STAND BESIDE ME. BUT FOR NOW, I'LL SAY GOODBYE." Keros finished while panting. His eyes were fierce, and a warped grin adorned his face.
 
His words were shocking, and his demeanor was terrifying. At first glance, one might think that he had gone crazy, but those of squad four felt the emotions in his words. He was determined. Resolved to fight against the fate that every human before him has succumbed to. It was an immeasurable challenge to attain such power, but Keros would endure the hardships that would accompany him, and he would face that challenge with confidence.
 
His words were more intoxicating than the liquor to those of squad four. Heads nodded and expressions hardened. If this boy would face this challenge, he would do so with squad four at his back. And when the day came that he stood at the top, they would exclaim in vigor 'That's our little Vao!'.
 
-
 
The fire had finally died out. The only remnants of Jack and Jessica were bright white ash. It stood at the center of a soot-covered ground. Everything else had burned away completely.
 
The last part of the ritual involved everyone grabbing a handful of the ashes and pouring it into a container. Since it was impossible to differentiate between the ashes they were all gathered into a single container. Which was also poetic in a way. They had lived and died together, and now they would rest together.
 
Soon all of the ashes had been collected and the squad stood in a circle. Keros stood beside the Captain, uncle Rod.
 
"Keros. would you mind telling all of us what your parents were like at home?" Uncle Rod asked while holding the jar.
 
"Father was stern, and most of the time stoic. When he was home he directed my training and sparred with me. When he wasn't spending time on me, he was playing with Catherine. The rest of his time was spent with mom..." Keros didn't even think, he just rattled off from the top of his head.
 
"Mom was gentle and caring. She always wore a smile, and rarely rebuked us. She cooked our food, tended to our wounds, and encouraged us when things were hard. She spent a lot of time with Catherine, nurturing her kindness. She always made the time to listen to my complaints and cheer me up. After she had shown us that motherly love and would spend time with dad." He continued almost immediately
 
"They were two halves of the same whole. They balanced each other. When Father was too stern, Mothers' gentle nature would calm the storm in our hearts. When Mother coddled us too much, Father brought us back to reality... I never saw them argue. I only saw trust and love between them. They accepted each other in every way. They were amazing parents." He ended. His tone would rise and fall to better illustrate the feeling they gave.
 
Everyone listened with rapt attention. This was a description of Jack and Jessica that they had never heard, and though they had a similar impression of the two, it was nice to hear a more detailed description from a different viewpoint. They all nodded to show their understanding and appreciation.
 
"You did well today. Your words were inspiring, and I think your parents would be proud to receive such a send-off from you. You have my respect." Uncle Rod said
 
The 8 other members of the team all nodded and said various words to explain how they felt about his participation in the ritual ceremony.
 
When they finally turned to leave, they saw many people standing in the distance. They were the warriors of the military. As squad four got closer, the warriors saluted toward the container. This was a show of respect for the fallen who had given their lives on the battlefield. They weren't allowed to participate in the ceremony, but they would witness it. It affected all of them differently. Some had tears in their eyes, while others had a smile of admiration. They parted to allow the 10 people to pass through.
 
Keros and the rest returned to the barracks, and uncle Rod informed everyone of the details for tomorrow's funeral. It would start at 13:00 and would allow the civilians that had a relationship with Jack and Jessica to attend. It couldn't be helped that there would be such short notice. Times were unstable and so the events would have to commence sooner. It was inconvenient but anyone that cared deeply would show up. He asked when Keros would like to be picked up, and he chose 9:00. He wanted Catherine to have plenty of time to mourn alone.
 
After everything about the funeral was explained uncle Rod took Keros into another room and began to explain how Keros and Catherine's lives would change. He explained that Catherine would likely be going with their aunt as that was their parents' plan. They expected Keros to take care of her, but for now, she would be given a stable environment to continue her schooling.
 
Keros's situation was more complicated. He would have to choose what he wanted to do, and though this gave him freedom, he didn't feel like he had many options. He could stay with uncle Rod and continue school. He could transfer to the military academy and get free board, but he would be heavily restricted and wouldn't have as much freedom on his path to strength. Maybe he could stay with Booker and continue his life as it had been. None of these seemed right though.
 
School would teach him many things, but he already had the foundation which was the most important aspect. He couldn't go to the military academy, that wasn't even an option. He wasn't willing to follow the path that the academy required its students to take. While he could stay with Booker, that would ease his pain. He couldn't allow that. He felt that the pain would be one of his greatest motivators and a reminder of why he needed to keep moving forward.
 
That narrowed his option to staying at uncle Rod's place. Though the school part would have to be changed. He needed faster progress than the school could provide, and he needed money. He needed money so he could afford to live and provide for his sister. He didn't like the fact that she would be reliant on the family that they only saw occasionally. He didn't know his aunt and her husband well enough to be comfortable with such a situation. He expressed these thoughts to uncle Rod.
 
Uncle Rod thought for a long while. Seemingly contemplating on whether he should condone the path Keros seemed to want to take. Eventually, he spoke. He told Keros that he could become a mercenary. The military wouldn't accept someone under the age of sixteen and while it was rare for mercenaries to accept those under sixteen, it had happened before. 
 
He explained to Keros what a mercenary did in greater detail than Keros had heard before. Mercenaries were essentially warriors for hire that formed a group. They would leave the stronghold on missions accepted at the mercenaries guild. The missions would require the group to do or obtain something. Sometimes they might have to clear out some beasts, map out new lands, or scout dens. Most of the missions involved obtaining things such as materials from beasts, herbs, special stones or wood, and anything else that could only be found outside of the stronghold. He told Keros that they sometimes hired as general labor and a porter, but would be able to move into a combat position if he grew strong enough.
 
A mercenary was the best solution to Keros's dilemma. He could make a lot of money compared to civilian jobs. He would be in constant danger which would promote growth, and give him the chance to improve at a higher speed than any of his previous options. However the danger high. He was still weak since he hadn't cultivated at all yet, and even being a porter would be dangerous. He could turn into collateral damage, get picked off during travel, or touch something that he shouldn't. While this option fulfilled all of his requirements, it was by far the most dangerous.
 
Uncle Rod told him that he could help by calling in a favor he had from one of the mercenary groups, but that was the only help he would provide to Keros other than a roof over his head. Keros would have to feed himself, clothe himself, and pay all of his expenses on his own. He wanted Keros to struggle because only through struggle could one reach certain heights. This would also allow him to mature into someone who wouldn't need to rely on anyone to survive.
 
Keros thought for a short time, before agreeing to this path. It was his best option, and he wouldn't ignore it simply because of danger and hardship.
 
They talked for a little longer, and uncle Rod gave Keros information that he should have been able to get from his father. They exchanged contact information. Uncle Rod told him that he would inform him of when and where to go to become a mercenary tomorrow. After finishing with the important conversation, uncle Rod contacted someone on his commlink before starting a casual conversation with Keros.
 
-
 
There was a knock on the door. It was the woman who had picked him up from school. She was there to take him back to his house. Keros learned from uncle Rod that her name was Aiyanna and that she was seeking promotion into their squad. She wasn't quite strong enough though and would need to improve before she would be allowed to join.
 
Uncle Rod bid Keros goodbye and told him that he was looking forward to when Keros would join their squad as if it had already been decided. Keros gave a brief goodbye before following Aiyanna out and onto the same ATV they had arrived in.
 
The ride was awkward. Aiyanna paid more attention to Keros and constantly showed various expressions. She hadn't known the reason that she had brought him here for. Surprisingly he attended a warrior send-off ritual. He must have had a significant relationship with the fallen warriors. The Captain had even shown a side of himself when around Keros that she had never seen. Almost as if he was doting on the boy.
0